Princess Mathilde in Tanzania - February 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone who has posted photos of Princess Mathilde's visit to Tanzania.
Leanne

I think the tour has ended now. In Royalty there will be a full report on her work there, I'll post that video as soon as it's available. I have the impression we got to see a lot more photos when she was in Niger and Mali. Now it were some photos now and then, which makes it hard (at least for me) to get a good impression of the activities. Apparently there was an official reception (shown in the VTM new snippet) where all the light fell out! :) I saw photographer Olivier Polet was there (he was one of the few people that got a bit of light from the camera next to him :)).

Yes, we are very proud of Mathilde. She's a good person trying to do good work.

Video of her visit to Tanzania

"Bekijk deel 1"

http://www.vtm.be/tv/index_programma_royalty_multimedia.htm

Some of Mathilde's comments:

"I think ignorance is the worst ennemy of patients with HIV/Aids"

"This mission was very emotional for me. First of all I was here to give a voice to these vulnerable children. I want people to realize just how vulnerable they are having no parents"

"There were so many strong moments during this trip. Like yesterday in Moinza : our converstions with the youngsters, the children and the motehrs. That was very emotional. And today the testimonies of the children, the courage they have to talk about what they're going through made me very emotional. I was really impressed by their courage."

"There will certainly follow other Unicef missions"

The video does a great job in capturing Mathilde's compassion and natural vibrance with people everywhere. She truly is a great person!! :)

Last edited:
From the Unicef website

UN Executive Directors and HRH Princess Mathilde of Belgium encourage more action to address impact of AIDS on children and young people in Tanzania

Dar es Salaam, 17 February 2006 – The Executive Directors of the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF), the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), and Her Royal Highness (HRH) Princess Mathilde of Belgium in her capacity as the UNAIDS and UNICEF Special Representative for Children and AIDS, today encouraged greater action to support children and young people in Tanzania in the AIDS response.

During the three-day visit to Tanzania, the high-level delegation met with the Tanzanian President and First Lady, government officials, the donor community, children orphaned by AIDS, and people living with HIV. They visited community-based programmes that provide care and support to children and young people living with HIV, as well as prevention services, including HIV testing and counselling.

“During the past days, I have heard the missing voice of children giving testimony on HIV/AIDS issues. I am convinced that education for children and young people is of great importance. More than ever, it is clear that prevention is crucial, because ignorance is the worst enemy of the AIDS response,” said HRH Princess Mathilde of Belgium.

It is estimated that HIV prevalence in Tanzania is 7 percent which translates into approximately two million people. Young people are at higher risk of HIV infection in Tanzania with half of all new infections occurring among young people aged 15 to 24, according to UNAIDS and UNICEF.

The delegation stressed the importance of education and AIDS awareness as a proven component of the “social vaccine” against HIV. Tanzania has made strides in providing free primary education which could be a key avenue for HIV prevention. But the mission noted the need to strengthen secondary education and activities for out of school youth.

Young women are more likely to be infected than men the same age, often because they lack information about HIV. More than 55 percent of young women and 50 percent of young men do not know five of the most important facts about how to prevent HIV. Some studies have suggested that more than 65 percent of sexually active girls have relationships with older men.
The mission appreciated the impressive spirit of volunteerism at the community level, particularly by women.

“Community volunteerism can make a tremendous difference in the response to HIV and AIDS,” said Ms Ann M. Veneman, Executive Director of UNICEF. “We must do all we can to support communities—improve education and health care systems, ensure access to clean water and sanitation, as well as adequate nutrition—to strengthen the ability of communities and families to cope with HIV and AIDS.”

The joint mission expressed concerns that the prevailing drought situation could negatively impact people living with HIV and people receiving antiretroviral treatment. Lack of food and good nutrition impacts the immune system and undermines effectiveness of treatment.

Sustainability and increasing the availability of quality services will be key challenges in the next phase of the Tanzania AIDS response.
While more than 2,000 children now have access to AIDS treatment, it is still difficult for them to access antiretroviral therapy due to the limited supply of paediatric formulations. The mission noted the need to increase Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission (PMCT) services which are currently reaching only 7 percent of pregnant women in need. Treatment for adults has increased 4-fold, but still remains far below that which is required.

As international funding for AIDS increases, one key factor is to ensure money is spent effectively, focused on those most at risk to HIV as well as people living with and affected by AIDS. To “make the money work”, the mission recommended that greater efforts be made to ensure that the money reaches down to support community initiatives for the prevention, care and support and treatment for children and adults.

The mission concluded that Tanzania is making progress. “Accelerating the AIDS response is urgently needed so that every citizen of Tanzania has access to HIV prevention, treatment and care,” said Dr. Peter Piot, Executive Director of UNAIDS, “Reaching universal access requires the mobilization of the entire society.”

Catherine - You must have been reading my mind. I listened to her and wondered it was she was saying! Thanks for clarifying that. The video clips were quite revealing of the desperate situation people are facing. I have alot of admiration for the people who are working to stem this disease. I can only begin to imagine how lifechanging their work must be.

Princess Mathilde

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, I missed the clips of princess Mathilde speaking English in Tanzania. They seem to have been remove. Could someone please post the clip in Tanzania, the one mentioned: 15/02 19u 32:40

thanks so much

This week's Point De Vue has coverage on Princess Mathilde's visit

Photo from pointdevue.fr

Attachments

• mathilde.jpg
    mathilde.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 229
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom