Diana's Eating Disorders and Health Issues

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Illness, especially any type of mental illness, can make people do odd things. Diana is gone now, so I think it would be wise to just let her rest in peace. There were enough problems to go around, and nothing can be changed by discussing it.

But things can be learned by discussing it. As this thread has shown, many people have suffered from similar illnesses as Diana's.

You are correct. I hope her legacy will be that people will seek help when it is needed and also, that you can do much good in the world, even while dealing with private demons.

How does it? He is their father and as such they spent Christmas with their father and their paternal family. It speaks volumes if you want it too.

The fact they had a choice means nothing of the state of their relationship with their mother. Parents and children don't always see eye to eye, and the children, as they were, still highly depended on their mother's love, encouragement, support and companionship. Thus, I think people can look into the situation with an aim to perceive what it is they wish to perceive.

Furthermore, the Panorama interview took place in late November. By then the boys attendance at Sandringham would have been anticipated, surely? (royal christmas's are known to be orgnaised in advance afterall).

Had have the Panorama interview never taken place and had have the divorce not been announced when it was, then it's entirely likely that the boys would have spent Christmas at Sandringham as was the norm.

There was considerably more to this post, but for some unknown reason it continued to keep vanishing. No doubt much to the relief of others ;)

I'm sorry that your full post doesn't appear, I find your opinions very interesting--and of course anyone who doesn't want to discuss this subject doesn't have to.

The relationship among Diana and her children is certainly related to her mental illness. What I was trying to say was that her judgment as a mother was often impaired by her illness. It is impossible to be as ill as Diana was and not impact her children.

I'm sure the last thing she wanted to do was hurt her children. But when she provided details of Charles affair and supposedly cold treatment of her in both the TV interview and the book, she was publicly attacking her children's father. I'm sure she convinced herself that she was doing it for the children. Penny Junor indicates that she thought Prince William would be proud of her.

Before she gave the interview, everyone had assumed Diana would spend Christmas with her children and the royal family, the way she had done the year before. She wasn't exactly disinvited after the interview, but she came to realize that the holiday would not have been ... joyful. William and Harry were told they could spend Christmas with their mother if they wanted. They chose their father. It is not uncommon for children to choose to spend time with the "well" parent.

From what I have read, Diana was beginning to come to grips with her illness when she died. Perhaps one reason was that she realized that some of her choices were alienating her sons. The first step to recovery is admitting there is a problem.

Some, "royal" children are not given a choice. Diana had a serious problem, Charles did, too. A pity, but their sons grew up very nicely.

I'm sorry that your full post doesn't appear, I find your opinions very interesting--and of course anyone who doesn't want to discuss this subject doesn't have to...
What a very wise post this is. I am so glad that you emphasize that her illness was not a choice, and naturally it would impact her abilities as a mother.
I also remember the Morton book quite well and the panorama interview. I was shocked by it, and that's when I began to realize her instability and world view which only seemed to have her view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Frelinghighness. I really have learned a lot from this discussion. There is such an interesting, unique, mix of posters. Some are like me and are dealing with a family member who is ill and others who have been ill themselves. All of them very informative and courageous. I've explained before, I joined this site after the very insightful post by chen bao jun explaining how her illness affected her family. I hope others who are suffering but have not gotten help are inspired by the very intelligent posts on this site.

I agree Diana did suffer from mental illness. Obviously she had suffered depression and bulimia. But I am very suspecious of other mental illness people imposed on her after her death, such as the borderline personality disorder problem.

People have depression are still very capable of hiding their emotion. That is no matter how terrible they feel they can still "pretend" to be as normal as everybody else. That is why even if Diana had depression, she could still perform her public work quite well. Diana had displayed some critical symptoms of depression, such as insomnia, feeling of guilt, worthlessness and helpness, persistent sad, anxious or "empty" feeling, irritablility and restlessness and so on. So I think she was depressive occasionally.

About bulimia, it is an eating disorder. How it is related to mental health is still not totally comprehended. Whether bulimia is the cause of mental prblems or just the window of them, we can not tell.

Some posters said they had their first hand experience how a people with bulimia could behaved so excessively. I think we must be cautious when using other people's examples, because those people might have other mental illness or personality problem you don't know.

Overall, although Diana were mentally ill in some sense, but she was still a person of a strong mind. She could control her emotion well if she wanted to, no matter how bad she felt. Just look at how remarkably she performed her public work.

And I want to say, some people with bulimia reject to face their problems doesn't mean Diana would do the same thing. Here is an article about her fight with bulimia.

How this young Scots bulimia victim gave hope to a Princess racked by her guilt; 35 DAYS AFTER DIANA'S DEATH... NOW THE AMAZING STORY CAN BE TOLD. - Free Online Library

anbrida, I understand your concerns about diagnosing medical conditions after the death of a person, but I don't agree with you. Obviously, it is a matter of speculation whether Diana suffered from a borderline personality disorder. But I hope you understand that this is similar to speculating that Abraham Lincoln had Marfan Syndrome. Both BPD and Marfan Syndrome are medical conditions.

I am extremely troubled by the article you posted. Diana's death did not release any medical professional from "the bonds of confidentiality." The article does not refer to Ms Claude-Pierre as a doctor, so I assume she's not a doctor. If I, or someone I know, needed help, I would never go to that clinic. How would anyone be able to trust them with their innermost fears. It sounds like it the people who run it care more about publicity than their patients.

In my opinion, Diana, like many people with bulimia, also suffered from BPD. At the same time, I think her attempts to help others were admirable.

I am extremely troubled by the article you posted. Diana's death did not release any medical professional from "the bonds of confidentiality." The article does not refer to Ms Claude-Pierre as a doctor, so I assume she's not a doctor. If I, or someone I know, needed help, I would never go to that clinic. How would anyone be able to trust them with their innermost fears. It sounds like it the people who run it care more about publicity than their patients.

The article does not appear to be legitimate, anbrida, can you supply the link to it? A good portion of the statements do not ring true - they are not the kind of statements one would expect to come from a medical professional - and don't sound like they would be coming from Diana, either. None of it jives. Lots of red flags in what the person quoted is claiming - like using banquets for 'force-feeding' - very queer ideas being floated.

US Watcher is correct about someone's death not releasing anyone from confidentiality. What someone's death does is make it possible for anyone unscrupulous to make all sorts of claims with no danger of being contradicted by the person who has died. It seems like someone is getting cheap advertisement using the memory of Diana to promote themselves.

Later: Just googled Peggy Claude-Pierre - she is a very controversial figure in Canada. It makes sense that she is controversial if the quotes in the above article come from her.

Last edited:
Diana was probably not the first royal to have eating disorders or other health issues or to feel lonely. Until recent times these issues were hidden or kept hidden from public view.

Diana was more or less expected to get over these problems or to keep a shift upper lip about it or get on with it so to speak. Some of these issues you can't easily get over or grow out of it or mature out of. You need some type of medical doctor or health professional to help one out, especially the eating disorder problems. Those around her really didn't totally understand this, I believe.

Diana was probably not the first royal to have eating disorders or other health issues or to feel lonely. Until recent times these issues were hidden or kept hidden from public view.

Diana was more or less expected to get over these problems or to keep a shift upper lip about it or get on with it so to speak. Some of these issues you can't easily get over or grow out of it or mature out of. You need some type of medical doctor or health professional to help one out, especially the eating disorder problems. Those around her really didn't totally understand this, I believe.

I agree with nascarlucy. As someone else on this thread pointed out, bulimia had only been recognized as a psychiatric disorder in the late 1970s. The royal family probably didn't handle it perfectly, but they probably didn't know what to do. I know someone who suffered from bulimia and I think her family handled it much worse than the royal family did.

We have evidence that members of the royal family understood that Diana had problems that were beyond 'just getting on with it'. Charles supplied health professional contacts and family members talked with Diana. Diana's sister suffered from the same eating disorder and went to a clinic in the 1970's - Diana would have known about this - and the Queen made herself available to Diana without any appointment necessary - that has to tell us something. The family was doing their best.

It appears that Diana never stayed with one therapist long enough to effect any 'cure' - however, part of the problem was that the mental health profession in the 1980's did not yet have a clear understanding of all eating disorders and the larger issues of which they are a symptom. They were just starting to look at the larger context for the symptoms. I believe they are still learning about it. Diana is an illustrative case.

Last edited:
We have evidence that members of the royal family understood that Diana had problems that were beyond 'just getting on with it'. Charles supplied health professional contacts and family members talked with Diana. Diana's sister suffered from the same eating disorder and went to a clinic in the 1970's - Diana would have known about this - and the Queen made herself available to Diana without any appointment necessary - that has to tell us something. The family was doing their best.

It appears that Diana never stayed with one therapist long enough to effect any 'cure' - however, part of the problem was that the mental health profession in the 1980's did not yet have a clear understanding of all eating disorders and the larger issues of which they are a symptom. They were just starting to look at the larger context for the symptoms. I believe they are still learning about it.

Tyger, you are correct. There is a lot of evidence that Charles did call in medical professionals to try and help her. I also think that the royal family did the best they could with the information and understanding they had. When I said I agreed with Nascarlucy, I meant agreed that in the past, family members who suffered from depression and other health issues were urged to carry on anyway. Obviously, Diana's issues were far more serious.

When I was about 14 years old, I saw an article in Teen Magazine about eating disorders. At the time, people were beginning to talk about this problem but at the time didn't label it as a psychiatric disorder. I'm not sure what they thought it was at the time (seemed like it was a medical or health issue rather than a psychiatric issue).

I remember at the time some parents talking about these eating disorders, but not really knowing much about it or what to do about it. They couldn't understand why someone would do this. I imagine you had eating disorders back in the day, but if seemed like there wasn't as many who had these eating disorders

As I got older, I knew teens and women who had this disorder. Not many but a few here and there. A lot of it had to do with a disorted view of themselves and their body (most thought they were fat, when they weren't). Some of it was self-esteem issue or not feeling good about oneself or not having control of one's life. Other times it had to do with other issues and this was a way to deal with their problems.

You can speculate but I don't really know what factor(s) led Diana to have eating disorders. I will say that I admire her for discussing this and sharing her story with the public.

Last edited:
I just google the title of that article I posted before, and found the link. I have already re-edited my post such that it would not cause any copyright problem.

Why it bothers you? That person was not a professional doctor so her words was not reliable? And none of what she said was anything close to secret.

Just googled Peggy Claude-Pierre - she is a very controversial figure in Canada. It makes sense that she is controversial if the quotes in the above article come from her.
I do the googling myself. As I understand she is controversial is because of her methods to treat eating disorder are not accepted by some professionals. Whether her words are reliable or not has nothing to do with the controversy of her methods to treat.

I am not interested to debate whether it is correct for Peggy Claude-Pierre to disclose Diana's conversation with her. I don't think it is related to Diana's mental illness either.

"Whether her words are reliable or not" has everything to do with the discussion. She is claiming to be quoting Diana - she is having Diana say things and claim things that are 'unusual' for Diana to say and claim - do we have evidence of Diana saying these things in other situations? The credibility of the source is at issue. To claim these conversations after Diana dies makes it all suspect. But maybe it happened - I'd just like to see more corroboration.

Anyway, side issue, I agree.

Charles did ask helps from Lauren Von Der Pool, who was a *Jungian*. To me Carl Jung's theory sounds more a myth than a science. I really suspect, with such little education as Diana had, whether she was able to communicate with Von Der Pool at all.

Laurens van der Post was an author - not a therapist. I don't think a conversation with van der Post would qualify as therapy. The evidence is that Charles connected Diana with actual therapists. Its obvious that whatever was attempted simply did not work - in hindsight we know that. Diana should have been able to hear what her sister was saying to her, too, but she didn't. Friends - who we can assume loved her - who tried to talk to her, got shut out. The situation was not easy.

The blame game is part of the illness. Always making it Charles' fault - or the BRF's fault - is merely repeating Diana's casting blame elsewhere so that she did not have to deal with her issues - which were present long before she even met Charles. The partner of such a person - as Charles was - gets trapped into: "I am ill because of you - if you could be different - if you could behave differently - I would be well." Not so. Healing happens when the person accepts that they are responsible for their own reactions and choices - and that trying to control others to this extent (it is a control issue) is the reverse gesture needed for finding acceptance and love.

Last edited:
"Whether her words are reliable or not" has everything to do with the discussion. She is claiming to be quoting Diana - she is having Diana say things and claim things that are 'unusual' for Diana to say and claim - do we have evidence of Diana saying these things in other situations? The credibility of the source is at issue. To claim these conversations after Diana dies makes it all suspect. But maybe it happened - I'd just like to see more corroboration.

Anyway, side issue, I agree.

I think you got me wrong here. You said Peggy is a controversial person in Canada, and I found out it's the way she treats eating disorder being controversial, not her honesty being controversial. So I said the controversy of her way to treat eating disorder does not imply her words in that article is not reliable.

Tyger, you are correct. There is a lot of evidence that Charles did call in medical professionals to try and help her. I also think that the royal family did the best they could with the information and understanding they had.

I've read this also; therapists were called in on at least three separate times, but Diana did not cooperate.
She was highly suspicious of Charles and felt the RF was ganging up on her, planning to say she was mad to justify taking her sons away from her.

This wasn't true, but neither was it true when Diana said she got no help from the RF. She got considerable help, but rejected it.

Instead she turned to psychics, palm readers, and other assorted quacks who would tell her what she wanted to hear.

Actually the Princess did turn to a psychiatrist Dr. Maurice Lipsedge for treatment. Dr. Lipsedge also treated her sister Sarah. Through him she learned how to manage her eating disorder in a healthy way.
Something that hasn't been brought up yet in this discussion (correct me if I'm wrong) is acceptance and denial of mental illness.
I do think the BRF and Charles had good intentions of trying to get Diana to see a psychiatrist(I do wonder if Charles ever took the opportunity to educate himself on eating disorders later in his life). But I believe she mistook their intentions and also that of the doctors.
She was not ready to accept that she had a problem. This was happening around 1981 after the honeymoon. Two years before Karen Carpenter died of cardiac failure due to Anorexia Nervousa. That tragedy allowed the general public to be aware of this disease. Back in the 80s there wasn't much information available on eating disorders.
By the time Diana started treatment with Lipsedge she acknowledged that she had a problem and was receiving help to deal with it.

There is still so much to learn about mental illness.

I think the bulimia problem is overstated here. It is an eating disorder, how is it related to mental health is uncertain. A lot of Youtube video showed people with bulimia are just like other normal person except for the uncontrolable binging and purging. One can not blame everything on bulimia. Make it sounds like once the bulimia gone, everything will be back to normal.

Few people in this thread talk about the depression issue of Diana, which I think is even not more but at least as critical as the bulimia. And Diana had this kind of gene in her. Her uncle, Lord Fermoy suffered from depression for a long time (since his 20s) and finally killed himself at 45.

Gainesville Sun - Google News Archive Search

Please note that several posts that have nothing to do with the topic of Diana's Eating Disorders and Health issues have been deleted as off topic.

Any questions and/or concerns should be directed to any member of the TRF moderation team via Private Message.

Zonk
British Forums Moderator

Just spent some time to read the Sally Smith's book: "Diana, in search of herself". Especially the last chapter where she laid down her reasoning why she thougt Diana suffered from BPD. I put some of my thoughts here.

First, a lot of symptoms of BPD Sally Smith thought Diana had are also symptoms of depression, which Diana did have suffered. Such as self-hatred, low-esteem, feeling of lonely and empty, difficulty controlling anger, self-mutilation, suicide attempts and even bulimia. We can not use these as evidences for BPD of Diana.

I would focus on the exclusive traits of BPD. They are
(1) Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment
(2) A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

The most poignant aspect of the borderline personality is the inability to sustain close, mutually gratifying relationships...She showered people with affection and gifts, then cut them off with little or no explanation.

Diana had as many long-time close friends as other people. Isn't it normal that sometimes people just stop contacting for a while between friends? Diana had made a lot of friends in her life, it is impossible to keep in touch with each of them all the time. There is no reason to overstate this issue. Everyone confronts the same problem as her.

Diana actually alternated between fears about intimacy and anxiety over separation. If people come too close, she felt suffocated; if they kept a slight distance, she felt abandoned. These problems were invisible to the public. Only intimates saw her worries and erratic behavior.

Another wishful thinking with no supporting evidences. Sure it is invisible to the public, because it is "the Emperor's new clothes".

In her closest relationships, Diana showed the borderline's frantic effort to avoid abandonment. ...When Charles went off to work, Diana interpreted his departure as a lack of love. James Hewitt, Oliver Hoare, and Hasnat khan all were the objects of the same pattern of urgent dependency.

When Diana was having a relationship with Hewitt, Hoare, and Khan, she was not living with them under the same roof. She could only see them occasionally, and eventually after each meet, they went off to their own apartment. Diana can tolerate this kind of long-time absense of her other lovers, but can not tolerate charles' leaving for job during only daytime? Kill my logic.

When Diana was alone, she felt trapped and isolated. After a close friend or lover left Diana's presence, she reacted in a childlike fashion, as if she feared the other person wouldn't return.

Same doubts here. Except for Charles, Diand didn't live with her lovers under the same roof. Absence of her lovers was persistent in her later relationships. If she was so dread of her lovers departure or absence, it is really hard to imagine how could Diana get on with her life, and how could she endure this kind of relationship for a long time (she was with Hewitt in this way for 5 years!). Moreover, although Diana might hate loneliness, but she was supposed to be one of the best person who was able to tolerate it. Basically after her separation in 1992, she lived alone in Kensington Palace, and she even spent her last 4 Christmas all by herself.

At the outset of close relationships, Diana usually screened out negative characteristics in the other person. But, inevitably, the object of her affection would let her down, perhaps by failing to praise her enough. Then she would see only the worst in that person.

This discription of Diana here is totally out of imagination and out of character. I think Mrs Smith was referring to the "extremes of idealization and devaluation" trait of BPD here. I wonder whether Mrs Smith had any evidence to support her claim. Have anyone ever heard of Diana complained or bad-mouthed her ex-lovers? I've never. Even to James Hewitt, who had betrayed her so completely and heartlessly, the only complain she had was “I adored him, I loved him but I was very let down.” I just don't know where Mrs Smith got the impression that she would see only the worst in her ex-lovers.

Basically, a lot of evidence and analysis of BPD of Diana Sally Smith gave in her book were plausible only on the surface. She still lacks the professional skills and critical thinking to diagnose Diana.

Is this true or rumor that Diana just turned to alternative therapy instead of professional medical help?

As I know she met psychotherapist Susie orbach regularly (twice one week?) between 1993 and 1997. And Diana had been on Prozac for awhile. Prozac is a prescription medicine which can only prescribed by professional doctor. And the dose has to be prescribed according to the specific patient. And when it was taken, it must be under the monitor of a professional doctor, because like any other antidepressant, it is dangerous. So definitely Diana got help from *professional* in this case.

Prozac, wellbutrin, etc are widely prescribed in the US for only slightly depressed people. It was offered to me for no reason other than being perimenopausal at 38 (early, yes but not exactly worth jumping off a roof). I declined it in favor of St Johns Wort.

I always thought Diana's mental/emotional problems stem from her birth. She was born after a severely deformed child and a miscarriage. Her mother was pregnant 3 time in about a year's time. (This is not a blame on Frances or John Spencer it was 1960/1961.)

The uterus takes more than 2 years to heal itself.

Yes you can have healthy babies even with yearly pregnancies.

Prozac, wellbutrin, etc are widely prescribed in the US for only slightly depressed people. It was offered to me for no reason other than being perimenopausal at 38 (early, yes but not exactly worth jumping off a roof). I declined it in favor of St Johns Wort.

Not so in the UK. From my own experience, Prozac is only prescribed in cases of major depression, given that it's so addictive. My doctor has never prescribed it to me as he feels that my illness hasn't been so severe as to warrant it.

Just spent some time to read the Sally Smith's book: "Diana, in search of herself"...
Obviously you have strong feelings about this issue and of course you have the right to your opinion, as do I.

You seem to think it is an insult to Diana to believe she had a personality disorder. It is an medical condition. If she suffered from a personality disorder, it was not her fault. She should have taken responsibility for getting help, but it is extremely difficult for people with some mental health problems to understand they need help It's part of the disease.

Regarding specific symptoms, you can dismiss her symptoms by stating that it could have just been depression, but that doesn't mean she didn't have a personality disorder as well.

Regarding intense and unstable relationships, maybe Diana didn't have difficulties with every single friend, but she apparently did with those closest to her, including her parents, siblings, husband, and several of her friends and lovers. Andrew Morton admits that she had difficulty sustaining relationships with other adults. She was able to maintain a relationship with people like Paul Burrell, with whom she could control, but she had difficulty dealing with people who saw her as an equal.

With regard to abandonment issues, it would not be accurate to say that someone with a personality disorder feels abandoned every time she is physically separated from another person. Diana would have feared emotional abandonment, not necessarily physical abandonment. As long as she was confident the other person cared for her, she was probably fine when they physically separated.

Also, she certainly publicly criticized Charles, who was an ex-lover. She didn't really criticize her other lovers because she wasn't necessarily anxious to publicly admit she had other lovers during her marriage.

I don't know enough about Prozac to address your point, but I'm sure EIIR knows.

Well then I guess we can only agree to disagree. Some believe she suffered from BPD, and some others believe she didn't. I won't go as far as to self-diagnose another person since I haven't studied personality disorders and nor am I a counselor or psychiatrist. I don't believe she suffered from BPD but if she did, I would still adore and respect her as I do now.
We are all entitled to our own opinions and beliefs.

Back
Top Bottom