The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-14-2017, 08:03 AM
Majesty

"Sarah S took to dirnking at school and was also anorexic.. Charles S has had his problems..."

And what about Jane? I remember from Mary Clarke's book "Diana. Once upon a time" that lived most of time with her mother.
And was the first one to start a family.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the bulimia kicked in during the run up to the wedding. I think perhaps she started doing it to lose weight and then it became a way of coping with stress. Food was comforting, and hey here's a neat trick (she knew about Sarah's bulimia) to offset all the eating. Then it all spirals out of control.

LaRae

Old 12-14-2017, 08:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Sarah didn't have bulimia, she had anorexia... But I agree that Diana's problem started during the Run up to the wedding. I think she started to obsess about "looking good" and there was the strain.. of the whole thing.
And it did seem like a way of having something nice to eat yet not putting on weight.
But apparently the vomiting is "comforting" to bulimics, they feel better for it.. and they become additcted to the sensation.
Re Jane, she seems to have been the quiet sensible one who perhaps didn't react so strongly to the marital problems...
Old 12-14-2017, 09:06 AM
Serene Highness

There have been reports that Sarah was anorexic, bulimic and alcoholic / had drinking issues. When Diana did acknowledge that her purging actually dated back to her time in boarding school, she "blamed" Sarah by saying that she was mimicking Sarah.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:34 AM
Heir Apparent

I thik she said that, true that she saidshe was "copyng Sarah", but I don't believe she realy did as a schoolgirl. Noone's ever mentioned anyting about her teen years that suggests she was bulimic or anorexic. And I haven't read anywhere that Sarah Spencer was bulimic, As far as I know she spoke franlky about her problems at school and said that she was drinking, and misbehaving.. and that she had anorexia which I think was partly due to a failed romance..
Diana may have been anxious about her weight at times as a teenager, what girl doesn't? But I don't know of any dieting or stories that she ahd lost a lot of weight or that she was possibly bulimic. Again I think it was a problem that surfaced when she got engaged, felt that her life was out of control.. and that she had to look slim to look good for her fiancÚ and her wedding and for the press.. so she started to make herself sick as a way of controlling her weight, even if she could not control her life.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:03 PM
Serene Highness

I am not an expert in eating disorders but two things I am aware of that are relevant, one, bulimics do not always get super skinny, and two, a person can engage in disordered behavior for a period of time and then get it under control and then relapse.

As I mentioned previously, there are comments in this thread that state that biographers and/or Diana herself stated that Diana engaged in bulimic behavior before she met Charles. While the fact that Diana had an eating disorder has been written about extensively, I don't think that there has been a definitive and comprehensive piece written about Diana's eating issues, let alone Sarah's.

If anyone wants to believe that the "spark" for Diana's eating disorder occurred during her engagement or marriage, they are free to do so, but there are credible reports that Diana engaged in bulimic behavior during her boarding school years. As I previously stated, I believe that Diana's bulimia definitely intensified during her marriage, but I also believe that it preceded her relationship with Charles.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:06 AM
Heir Apparent

What is this evidence? Are there reports from her shcolmates or teachers that she was bulimic while at school? I haven't read any...
Old 12-16-2017, 01:46 AM
Serene Highness

Do you think that she was binging and purging in front of people? Diana herself revealed that she engaged in the behavior.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Do you think that she was binging and purging in front of people? Diana herself revealed that she engaged in the behavior.
But Diana was not always truthful in what she said. And lots of people knew she was bulimic during her marriage, that she ate a lot but didn't put on weight, (indeed she lost a LOT of weight during the early years of her marriage) or that she was leaving the table after eating and disappearing for a bit...
but I haven't heard of her dieting, or losing weight or anyone who knew her as a teenager, say that she had exhibited any behaviour that might mean she was throwing up her meals...
Old 12-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I've read about Diana at boarding school was that she had quite a healthy appetite. No one mentioned purging at all. They wouldn't have known if she was doing this. Bulimia is a very secretive type of a disorder and honestly, most people in this world use the bathroom solely by themselves and what they do in there isn't public knowledge. No one would have known of Diana's purging whenever it was but only had suspicions of it. Even during her marriage.

We honestly don't have any "evidence" of when she felt the need to purge or how often it happened. Only real facts on this is gained from what Diana, herself, has said and I wouldn't be quick to take her at her word for it as she was prone to exaggeration and stretching the truth on things.

All we really know is that she had a problem with bulimia throughout her life.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-16-2017, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

but people knew that there was a problem with Diana after her marriage as regards food and weight. She lost a huge amount of weight, she was horrifically thin.. yet she did seem at times to "eat normally" and to binge eat stuff like chocolate.
People might not have fully understood bulimia then, but it seems that they cottoned on very quickly that she was not well... Anyone could see how thin she was -. There was speculation that she might have a life threatening illness...
And staff and friends did realise after a while that she was so thin but appeared to eat normally at times because she was making herself sick... It is a secretive illness, true but in Di's case, it was "bad enough" for people around her to work out what was happening even if they idd not know the word for it, or realise that it was a psychological compulsion..
But I've never heard of her being frightfully thin, or dieting during her younger days. She wasn't fat, but she was normal weight as a teenager, in pictures, she looks a little pudgy faced at times, and people mentioned her having a healthy appetite...
I think if she was bulimic at boarding school, her friends and teachers would have had some idea, even if it was now in retrospect... that she had "lost a bit of weight" or disappeared to the loo a lot.. and would problaby have mentioned it by now that they remembered her acting in an odd way at school.. or in her Sloane Ranger days.#
The American lady she worked for said that Diana showed no signs of an eating disorder when she was with them, and had meals at their house....
So I don't think she was bulimic as a teenager..

Tags
anorexia, bulimia, diana princess of wales, eating disorders, princess diana