The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You seem to see Meghan as having money as her top priority. I don't. In fact, I sincerely believe that money was the *least* of their troubles. People that actually have a lot of money don't focus on it as a priority usually. :D

So that's why they signed a $100 million deal with Netflix and upgraded to a 16 bathroom mansion in an exclusive enclave? They don't care about the money?

I have no idea if it was the deciding factor but I do think it was *a* big factor or we wouldn't have had them complaining about not being able to use their titles or Sussex Royal to make money when they know that is the one thing that sets them apart from any other celebrity.

They had more money than most but compared to their super wealthy friends and "fellow global celebrity philanthropists" it was paltry. They weren't in the "have so much money we can write blank cheques to good causes and not care about it" that they might like to be.

The story about them spending time in Africa for a few years has been around since before the SA tour was announced and does seem to have had some truth to it as well as the idea that Sarah Latham was preparing to pack up and move with them. The SA tour was allegedly partly a test to see if they liked it and they decided it wasn't viable for them.

So that's why they signed a $100 million deal with Netflix and upgraded to a 16 bathroom mansion in an exclusive enclave? They don't care about the money?

As far as the Netflix deal goes, I don't think that the income was the primary focus of the couple to set up a contract with them. The deciding factor on both sides is the messages that the Sussexes want to get out there to a lot of people and Netflix saw the worth and signed on to carry the programming.

As far as the home, there were a lot of other factors to consider besides being "exclusive" and costing a lot. Safety and security is a big factor and its a very well protected area. It's their "forever" home they want to raise their family in and probably secured a good deal on the purchase.

They're getting their ducks all in a row and should there happen to be leaner times ahead, they're prepared for it. We probably would have heard much more from this couple if the pandemic hadn't happened but it's affected their lives as much as it's affected the lives of each and every one of us in some way. ?

I have no idea if it was the deciding factor but I do think it was *a* big factor or we wouldn't have had them complaining about not being able to use their titles or Sussex Royal to make money when they know that is the one thing that sets them apart from any other celebrity.

They had more money than most but compared to their super wealthy friends and "fellow global celebrity philanthropists" it was paltry. They weren't in the "have so much money we can write blank cheques to good causes and not care about it" that they might like to be.

The story about them spending time in Africa for a few years has been around since before the SA tour was announced and does seem to have had some truth to it as well as the idea that Sarah Latham was preparing to pack up and move with them. The SA tour was allegedly partly a test to see if they liked it and they decided it wasn't viable for them.
There were rumours about it a while ago but I never believed it. However I can imagine now, knowing that they were asking to get out part of the time, that it might have been offered to give them a break from royal life... But I don't believe Meghan wanted it at all.. she wanted to be free to make money. And to live part time in the USA...

I think the 3 of them will come to the UK. Forgive my cynicism, but contact with HM and other members of the family only enhances their brand. IMHO, HM and her advisors might be very much aware of this and prevent photos of the Sussex family with Her Majesty.

THe Queen did say they were family I think it would be negative if she did not want photos with the Sussex family, I think it would be a negative for HM especially after saying they were family.

It's odd how Meghan is now referring to the Royal Family as an "Institution" as if she as unaware of what is was prior to marrying a Prince.

She's right y'know. When she talks of the "institution", she's talking about the "Firm" and the family business the royal family runs. Separates it entirely from the "family" side she belongs to. Makes sense to me. ?

She's right y'know. When she talks of the "institution", she's talking about the "Firm" and the family business the royal family runs. Separates it entirely from the "family" side she belongs to. Makes sense to me. ?

It just makes me feel like she's trying to separate them as their family.

I was a bit confused - I really was under the impression that the Sussexroyal Instagram account was writing by them and their staff.

Katie Nicholl is reporting in "Vanity Fair" that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be spending Christmas at their Montecito home.

But both will be returning to the UK for the legal case in January.

And they had planned to be present for the Trooping the Colour this past June had it not been for Covid.

There were also plans to visit The Queen at Balmoral.

Ms Nicholl says they will travel as a family with their son, and will quarantine at Frogmore Cottage for two weeks.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/10/prince-harry-meghan-markle-return-to-uk

I never thought that Harry would NEVER return - he “divorced” himself from the BRF as a working Royal, not as a son/brother/cousin/uncle, etc.. If he could have, he would have visited Charles after he was sick - I’ve no doubt about that, based on what I’ve read.
But he did so in a way that was bound to also influence the relationship he has with his family members. That is not to say that he won't return or won't continue to have a relationship with them but it surely makes for a bumpy ride.

And another breakdown of part of the new Montecito home ... though it may not be the couple's actual house -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-offer-glimpse-inside-plush-home-podcast.html

The Sun is reporting the podcast was done at a recording studio ... and also that Simon Cowell has been advising them, now they are "moving into the entertainment industry".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/12898558/simon-cowell-talks-prince-harry-meghan-tv-career/

Not recorded at the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's private home, but at a "Covid-compliant shooting location".

The Sun article has the Instagram account photos and videos - and it looks like it was a white-picket fenced house and there was lunch for everyone to share.

The teens looked to have enjoyed themselves.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/12906380/meghan-markle-prince-harry-latest-news-social-media-live/

Katie Nicholl is reporting in "Vanity Fair" that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be spending Christmas at their Montecito home.

But both will be returning to the UK for the legal case in January.

And they had planned to be present for the Trooping the Colour this past June had it not been for Covid.

There were also plans to visit The Queen at Balmoral.

Ms Nicholl says they will travel as a family with their son, and will quarantine at Frogmore Cottage for two weeks.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/10/prince-harry-meghan-markle-return-to-uk

Thanks for posting! I look forward to their visit with Charles...he must be thrilled !

But he did so in a way that was bound to also influence the relationship he has with his family members. That is not to say that he won't return or won't continue to have a relationship with them but it surely makes for a bumpy ride.

Of course, but he’s still talking regularly to his father - and they all (except for William and Kate, who chatted separately) recently did a Zoom for Archie’s birthday...The only way they can heal any wounds is to do so in person, so...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the teen thing the talk Meghan gave where they're complaining the organization charged $1,700 for you to listen? Or is that something else?

Last edited:
Ah I see the lacey book? Sounds to me, if ti was true, it was the queen trying to sort them out when they started to complain bout being unhappy, she thought if they had a year or 2 in Africa, it might soothe them.. and they cuold take up full time royal work later....
I suppose its possible that if they were complianing for some time, and saying they wanted out of royal life (or at least to go part time) the queen felt they could move to Africa for a time, and have some freedom, as Willi and Kate had had... but hoped in a couple of years they'd be ready to settle into royal life.. but Meg didn't want Africa.. what she wanted was to go to the US nad be free to earn money.....

HM has been quoted speaking about how happy her time in Malta as a navy wife was before her father died. Charles and Diana didn't get that settling in period. William and Kate had a couple of years in Wales together with very few royal duties. IMO she wanted Harry and Meghan to have a similar opportunity, Harry even spoke about how he would like to live in Africa but it couldn't be.
Whether they wanted an opportunity for a couple of years out of the spotlight to establish themselves is another question.

HM has been quoted speaking about how happy her time in Malta as a navy wife was before her father died. Charles and Diana didn't get that settling in period. William and Kate had a couple of years in Wales together with very few royal duties. IMO she wanted Harry and Meghan to have a similar opportunity, Harry even spoke about how he would like to live in Africa but it couldn't be.
Whether they wanted an opportunity for a couple of years out of the spotlight to establish themselves is another question.

I'm not sure. IT seems to me that from their marriage, they were meant to be full time royal workers, based in the UK, and with a role that would entail a lot of travelling...I think if they'd said before the marriage that they wanted a period of moving into royal duties slowly, I think the queen would have been OK with it.. but I suspect it only really came up, when they started to say they were unhappy...which presumably happened after the marriage.
They've basically insinuated that the RF/Queen had been unwilling to talk to them or take their concerns seriously, which was why they went public prematurely... but its possible that the queen did offered a half way house of a year or 2 living in Africa as a way of giving them a bit of time off before they embarked on bieng full time royals.

Is the teen thing the talk Meghan gave where they're complaining the organization charged $1,700 for you to listen? Or is that something else?

No.

Meghan didn’t charge anyone that. That was the overall fee to the Fortune Women’s Summit that is ongoing for a few days. But of course the UK press presented it as a charge for Meghan’s 15 minute conversation.

No.

Meghan didn’t charge anyone that. That was the overall fee to the Fortune Women’s Summit that is ongoing for a few days. But of course the UK press presented it as a charge for Meghan’s 15 minute conversation.

That's why I said the organization. But it wouldn't have mattered if Harry or Meghan charged that much for a talk to adults - they're free agents now. Lots of famous people charge more. I just wasn't sure what talk they were talking about.

I'm not sure. IT seems to me that from their marriage, they were meant to be full time royal workers, based in the UK, and with a role that would entail a lot of travelling...I think if they'd said before the marriage that they wanted a period of moving into royal duties slowly, I think the queen would have been OK with it.. but I suspect it only really came up, when they started to say they were unhappy...which presumably happened after the marriage.
They've basically insinuated that the RF/Queen had been unwilling to talk to them or take their concerns seriously, which was why they went public prematurely... but its possible that the queen did offered a half way house of a year or 2 living in Africa as a way of giving them a bit of time off before they embarked on bieng full time royals.

The Queen could play at being an "ordinary" navy wife but she was still heiress to the throne and her father was not in the best of health. She did not stay a steady two years in Malta, SHe was in London for the times leading up and after having her two children. She pinch hit for her ailing father and did tours.

I think that Harry and Meghan did want to work and not wanted "time off." I think that they were concerned about their child and the sometimes quite severe comments by the media. Meghan was on maternity leave and even though not seen was criticized still Even her ring was scrutinized. I don't think they wanted to live in Africa though rumors were floated I think William wanted Harry and Meghan to move there.

No QueenMathilde - this is the podcast, "Teenager Therapy", they did with some teenagers after reading about them in the New York Times.

This is the occasion where the Duchess said she was the most trolled person in the world last year.

When a photo was released it was reported as having taken place at the Rockbridge Road home of the Duke and Duchess - and the room was analysed in regard to their taste and decor style.

I thought it may have been in the guest-house at the bottom of their grounds - that they are said to be doing up to have the Duchess' mother stay in on a regular basis - but it didn't look like the photos I've seen of the interior rooms of that building.

Now the teens/their organization have put photos and a video of themselves on their Instagram accounts - lined up in masks with the masked Duke and Duchess outside near a picket fence - and said the event was filmed at a rental property.

That would be the case as the speedy video has one of the teenagers lying on a bed at the property, so not the private home of Harry and Meghan.

And maybe the young people are less stressed by social media than the Royal couple - the young lady on the bed is on her phone and there have been other posts from the teenagers detailing how they refer to Prince Harry as "Big H" etc.

Too much fun for them to be down about it all I think, although it's been reported there were some nerves and the Duke and Duchess took the teens through some deep breathing exercises before the filming started.

And on the point of payment, I did read a few weeks back that the Duchess/her people had to make a payment to sign up for one of the forums she spoke/was interviewed at. Sorry, can't remember which as there have now been a few.

I don't think the Royal couple are getting paid to speak on these things, but they are benefitting from the exposure as I believe they are building an anti-bullying narrative as their public stance/persona.

And I do believe the Duchess is making a Netflix documentary along those lines and there is indeed a three month filming window as footage is collected for it.

That may explain why there seems to have been a flurry of these talks these last weeks.

Thanks for posting! I look forward to their visit with Charles...he must be thrilled !

I agree Betsypaige - it's not as if Prince Charles is still in the first flush of youth, let alone the Queen and Prince Philip.

I do believe though, that the Duke of Sussex will return to the UK in November.

He'll then return to Montecito for Christmas with the Duchess' mother and their friends the Fosters.

And I think that he, the Duchess, and their son, will travel to the UK as a family before the New Year to self-isolate at Frogmore Cottage.

All being well, I think Meghan will conduct her January court case in person in London, as this court case is a corner-stone of her anit-bullying documentary.

To have the case conducted via Zoom or some such will not be seen as impactful as actually turning up at court.

Plenty of people are travelling now, so to spend a couple of weeks at Frogmore - and then again at the Riven Rock Chateau upon their return - is not a total hardship.

Especially as Meghan has been said to be a homebody, even a lone-wolf personality type, and to nest in the two homes you've created wouldn't be that hard.

Last edited:
I agree Betsypaige - it's not as if Prince Charles is still in the first flush of youth, let alone the Queen and Prince Philip.

I do believe though, that the Duke of Sussex will return to the UK in November.

He'll then return to Montecito for Christmas with the Duchess' mother and their friends the Fosters.

And I think that he, the Duchess, and their son, will travel to the UK as a family before the New Year to self-isolate at Frogmore Cottage.

All being well, I think Meghan will conduct her January court case in person in London, as this court case is a corner-stone of her anit-bullying documentary.

To have the case conducted via Zoom or some such will not be seen as impactful as actually turning up at court.

Plenty of people are travelling now, so to spend a couple of weeks at Frogmore - and then again at the Riven Rock Chateau upon their return - is not a total hardship.

Especially as Meghan has been said to be a homebody, even a lone-wolf personality type, and to nest in the two homes you've created wouldn't be that hard.

That’s true, and Charles was actually sick...which obviously concerned Harry; I’m sure he’s looking forward to seeing his pa and grandparents, and vice versa.

Is Harry returning to the UK in November? For the tax situation previously described?

Everything you said makes sense...

Wow, and I suppose they are going to quarantine from Archie now? Yes, that’s sarcasm...and THAT is stupidity. It’s not anti-Harry and Meghan, either. My nephew has COVID because he and his dumb as rocks friends decided to all hang out together without masks. H and M are wearing masks, but they’ve got their arms around total strangers...sigh

Yes and in CA they're certainly advised to do so even if everyone is masked and outdoors. Great photo but as a parent of teens/young adults I'd feel better if there was a little more distance. Santa Barbara County is currently listed as "red" on the state list. "Red" is one tier down from the top with "purple" being the color for the most restricted activities. Los Angeles County is "purple."

Here's the new state guidelines for gatherings of three households released on 10/12/20.

https://kmph.com/news/local/california-releases-guidelines-for-private-gatherings

4. Practice Physical Distancing and Hand Hygiene at Gatherings

• For any gatherings permitted under this guidance, the space must be large enough so that everyone at a gathering can maintain at least a 6-foot physical distance from others (not including their own household) at all times.
  • Seating must provide at least 6 feet of distance (in all directions—front-to-back and side-to-side) between different households.
  • Everyone at a gathering should frequently wash their hands with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available. A place to wash hands or hand sanitizer must be available for participants to use.

Last edited:
How do we know that all the teenagers taking part in this gathering (and Harry and Meghan of course) haven't previously been tested for Covid 19 and found negative? I would imagine the organisers of this exercise would have made sure to have done this before arranging the talk.

:previous: I believe that it is possible that they were tested, but according to our current guidelines that doesn't exempt people from following them.

Wow, and I suppose they are going to quarantine from Archie now? Yes, that’s sarcasm...and THAT is stupidity. It’s not anti-Harry and Meghan, either. My nephew has COVID because he and his dumb as rocks friends decided to all hang out together without masks. H and M are wearing masks, but they’ve got their arms around total strangers...sigh

They are standing next to them but their arms are not around anyone but each other. Though it is a point of discussion especially when even today the monarch appeared without a mask at an official engagement despite strict restrictions being announced.

They are figure heads and people will question their actions especially when they expect differently of others.

Last edited:
They are standing next to them but their arms are not around anyone but each other. Though it is a point of discussion especially when even today the monarch appeared without a mask at an official engagement despite strict restrictions being announced.

They are figure heads and people will question their actions especially when they expect differently of others.

You’re right, they don’t have their arms around each other ...my mistake. I still don’t think they should be standing shoulder to shoulder with these kids...

What’s that about HM? !

How do we know that all the teenagers taking part in this gathering (and Harry and Meghan of course) haven't previously been tested for Covid 19 and found negative? I would imagine the organisers of this exercise would have made sure to have done this before arranging the talk.

It doesn't matter if everyone has tested negative. A negative test is not definitive (up to 30% false negatives) and a person can convert from negative to positive within days after the test if they have been infected.

Masks, tests, handwashing AND social distancing must be adhered to at all times. It called the "Swiss Cheese" approach--if the virus gets evades one of these methods, there are three other methods that can act to prevent spread.

Just to clarify in the UK the official guidelines are that you must wear a mask indoors. HM appeared at an event that was held outdoors and maintained the required two meter distance.

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

• <li class="covid__instruction-list-item"> Wash hands keep washing your hands regularly <li class="covid__instruction-list-item">
    <li class="covid__instruction-list-item"> Cover face wear a face covering in enclosed spaces <li class="covid__instruction-list-item">
    Make space stay at least 2 metres apart - or 1 metre with a face covering or other precautions

The Sussexes being in CA have a different set of regulations that they're expected to follow. ( I posted them in an earlier post.) They were following them in regards to the use of masks and being outdoors, but they should have been distanced six feet apart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom