The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-02-2020, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

https://wkow.com/2020/10/02/federal-...ernstein-case/

This whole story never rang true for a lot of people. Echoes of the Joshua Smollett case. These sort of incidents do a real disservice to the true victims of crime.

I thought at the time that the duchess showed a real lack of judgement in her rush to involve herself.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't agree. He is still one major accident away from the throne. So, I don't think it is right to both keep your succession rights AND make it your 'independent job' to advocate your personal and sometimes politically-charged views as much as possible to the largest audience possible; and even using your royal titles to do so.
Does anyone know if Harry can give up his succession rights? I think if he was not in the line of succession and they cut his few remaining official ties to the BRF then it would become much less problematic for him to involve himself in political issues. Heís already ceased to receive funds from The Duchy of Cornwall and heís agreed not to use the HRH in his professional life.

More attention gets paid to the titles but, when it comes to someone wanting to involve themselves in political issues, especially those involving a foreign countryís electoral process, I would argue succession rights are a bigger deal. Right now Harry can be the Head of State of the UK. Taking away that possibility opens up a range of options - all that would be holding him back at that point would be his own interpretation of his promise to uphold the values of The Queen.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Does anyone know if Harry can give up his succession rights?
There's no process that I'm aware of.

Only parliament can alter the line of succession.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
There's no process that I'm aware of.

Only parliament can alter the line of succession.
Not only Parliament. If we go by the last change to the Succession to the Crown Act in 2011, this information is also relevant. "The biggest shakeup in the rules of royal succession in centuries is to be introduced after the leaders of the 16 Commonwealth nations where the Queen serves as head of state unanimously approved the changes."

So what I'm seeing is that what would be needed is:

1) Royal assent
2) Acceptance by Parliament
3) Acceptance by the 16 Commonwealth Nations that have the Queen as their
Head of State.

Not a simple thing to do from where I sit.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Not only Parliament. If we go by the last change to the Succession to the Crown Act in 2011, this information is also relevant. "The biggest shakeup in the rules of royal succession in centuries is to be introduced after the leaders of the 16 Commonwealth nations where the Queen serves as head of state unanimously approved the changes."

So what I'm seeing is that what would be needed is:

1) Royal assent
2) Acceptance by Parliament
3) Acceptance by the 16 Commonwealth Nations that have the Queen as their
Head of State.

Not a simple thing to do from where I sit.
No I agree it isn't. 1 always has to follow an act of parliament of course to become law. 3 is just a courtesy & is not required. It has nothing to do with the UK line of succession which can act as it likes unilaterally.

The other entirely separate realms can do whatever they want with their own lines of succession.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:02 PM
Courtier

Publicly funded bodies are supposed to be politically neutral, not to have any sort of agenda, whether that's right wing or left wing. I visited the Harriet Beecher Stowe house last year, with a tour group, and the guide sat us down and started firing politically-motivated questions at us and encouraging us to argue. We'd only met each other the day before, and it was very embarrassing. OK, that's not publicly funded, but it wasn't really what I was looking for from a visit to a museum. We were expecting some info about her life and works, not to be told to have an argument!

Going back to Harry, he's 36 years old. Nobody - not the Queen, Prince Charles, Meghan or anyone else - is responsible for what he says, other than himself. I wouldn't blame anyone else for what a grown man does.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
Just because classism is an issue doesnít mean that racism isnít. Everyone should speak up and speak loudly about both issues. Harry and Meghan should and have the right to speak up. If they are going to speak, they should say something of substance. At this point, Harry does a very poor job of that, and despite her passion, Meghan isnít really adding anything new to the conversation. For me, this means that their message creates a ďso whatĒ reaction. Of course itís not up to me, but I canít help but think that they should immerse themselves into one or two major philanthropic projects that are aligned with their views, work on them while maintaining a low personal profile, and then come back roaring once they have acquired a little bit of gravitas.
I agree with this - though I wouldn't say Meghan isn't adding anything - her contributions are more valuable as a biracial person herself as she has had her own experiences of racism from a black perspective.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-02-2020, 10:38 PM
Royal Highness

Poor Kate.

The Duchess of Cambridge's uncle has gone on record - both social media and mainstream - with his view of his niece's brother and sister-in-law.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...o-muppets.html

And Katie Nicholl is reporting in Vanity Fair that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be travelling to the UK for Christmas - of course due to Covid, but also that the family rifts are still too raw for it.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Poor Kate.

The Duchess of Cambridge's uncle has gone on record - both social media and mainstream - with his view of his niece's brother and sister-in-law.

And Katie Nicholl is reporting in Vanity Fair that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be travelling to the UK for Christmas - of course due to Covid, but also that the family rifts are still too raw for it.
Iíve said it before and Iíll say it again, I will be surprised if they spend any time of substance in the UK from here on out. Obviously they canít travel with COVID but I truly wonder if they would have gone back even without it. Thereís been major damage done to the familial relationships, I think it would be incredibly uncomfortable for everyone.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Poor Kate.

I would not be surprised if some trolls (even some "Sussex Squad" members or Republicans) start attacking The Duchess of Cambridge, because of her uncle's behaviours, similar to the treatment Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie got because of Prince Andrew.

I agree with Katie Nicholl that there is little possibility for Harry, Meghan and Archie to return to UK for Christmas, not just because of COVID-19, but also family tension. At this point, I think time is the best healer, assuming there is no more strain and unresolved disagreement.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Poor Kate.

Do you have the link to the VF article? I canít comment on it without reading it. I will say - from what Iíve read, Harry speaks to his father and HM quite often - I donít think thereís a family rift.
Old 10-03-2020, 02:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Do you have the link to the VF article? I canít comment on it without reading it. I will say - from what Iíve read, Harry speaks to his father and HM quite often - I donít think thereís a family rift.
Here's the link Betsypaige -

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...with-the-queen
Old 10-03-2020, 03:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
Does anyone know if Harry can give up his succession rights? I think if he was not in the line of succession and they cut his few remaining official ties to the BRF then it would become much less problematic for him to involve himself in political issues. Heís already ceased to receive funds from The Duchy of Cornwall and heís agreed not to use the HRH in his professional life.
There is one unilateral thing Harry can do to remove himself from the line of succession: become a Roman Catholic. However, he has never seemed overly-religious and I don't see the RCC confirming him if the conversion is not sincere.
Old 10-03-2020, 03:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Thanks! Well, thatís a shame that the brothersí rift is that bad, but I suppose itís for the best - now the rest of the family can be relaxed and have a wonderful holiday and H and M can do the same, without the pressure to fix things.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Thank you Sun Lion for the article, which primarily mentioned about Harry's relationship with Prince William and to some extent Prince Charles.

I do think Harry's relationship with Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie might also be strained. The main reason is that Meghan allegedly (according to the Sun) drop their names in a court case to prove that some members of the Royal family are able to work independently whilst holding a title. Beatrice and Eugenie of course were never working members of the royal family and don't use their title for businesses/advertisement. The other reason (which could be speculative) is that in Finding Freedom, Omid Scobie and Caroline Durand supposedly mentioned that Harry and Meghan were apparently very angry that The Duke of York, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie leaked their relationship. Harry and Meghan have denied their involvement with Finding Freedom, but to have your names dragged in the book (similar like way The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been portrayed), must have angered the York Princesses, especially if they did not leak the relationship themselves.

I think the Sussexes' relationship with the Wessex family, Princess Anne's family (including the Phillips and Tindalls) may not be positive either. At one point, Meghan's court case apparently (again, according to The Sun) mentioned that the Royal Family (Not sure if it's as an institution or just family members?) have been unsupportive of them. Mike Tindall and Sir Timothy Laurence at some point have mentioned that the Royal Family members have been very welcoming. I do think the Wessex family, Princess Anne's family (Phillips and Tindalls) might be upset by those accusations, given that they have tried their best to include Meghan into the fold. Of course, Meghan may have been accusing the courtiers and palace staffs.

At this point, I think it's not just tension between Harry & Meghan and William & Catherine, but rather Harry & Meghan and other members of the Royal Family (though I am not sure about the relationship with the Snowdons, Chattos, Gloucesters and Kents)
Old 10-03-2020, 05:58 AM
Serene Highness

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8799419/Duchess-Cambridge-Kates-uncle-Gary-Goldsmith-brands-Harry-Meghan-two-muppets.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8799947/British-royals-Read-REALLY-happened-closed-doors-Sandringham-summit.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8799867/British-Royals-hopping-mad-Meghan-Harrys-says-devastating-new-book.html

People at work absolutely loathe her.
I doubt even Harry understands what she's talking about; he's not that intellectual, and half the time he looks completely bewildered.
Airbrushed her own father out of her life. Duchess of Windsor was treated badly I think, but stayed dignified throughout her life. Meghan is angry at the whole world.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Aristocracy

Something unforgivable in Harry's recent comments is his inability to highlight the good things in the UK with regards to racial integration. He might have said that the country has come a long way in terms of diversity with the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Mayor of London, Secretary-General of the Commonwealth of Nations, to name but a few senior members of the Establishment are people from minority ethnic backgrounds. His wife was also welcomed into the Family.

Perhaps Harry should look to be more balanced in what he says and refrain from talking down the country that has given him everything from the day he was born. Perhaps he should leave his ivory tower mansion and put his shoulder to the wheel. Like so many so-called "celebrities" like his wife he has fallen into a pattern of uttering platitudes and soundbites to please a woke audience.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:36 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
There is one unilateral thing Harry can do to remove himself from the line of succession: become a Roman Catholic. However, he has never seemed overly-religious and I don't see the RCC confirming him if the conversion is not sincere.
I do remember seeing something about Harry being active in the Christian Union in the Army but that was only anecdotal and was on a much more "evangelical wing of the CofE" than anything RC. No idea how true it was or if it held up once he left the army.

But 1) They don't want to have anything to do with their royal status removed, and have complained about not being able to use DoS in their branding.

2) would probably just start a "poor him/them persecuted for religious beliefs" even though it would be a free choice and there was already a huge amount of talk about WHY they can't be RC in relation to the Monarch being head of the CofE (maybe even still if disestablishment were to happen) when the Succession to the Crown Act was being debated. They can still be Anglo-Catholic if they want.

3) Archie would still be in line until he was confirmed Catholic like the young Kents. I think.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Publicly funded bodies are supposed to be politically neutral, not to have any sort of agenda, whether that's right wing or left wing. I visited the Harriet Beecher Stowe house last year, with a tour group, and the guide sat us down and started firing politically-motivated questions at us and encouraging us to argue. We'd only met each other the day before, and it was very embarrassing. OK, that's not publicly funded, but it wasn't really what I was looking for from a visit to a museum. We were expecting some info about her life and works, not to be told to have an argument!

Going back to Harry, he's 36 years old. Nobody - not the Queen, Prince Charles, Meghan or anyone else - is responsible for what he says, other than himself. I wouldn't blame anyone else for what a grown man does.
Off topic a bit but re the Stowe house that sounds quite ridiculous. I'd be out the door like a shot....
Old 10-03-2020, 07:39 AM
Serene Highness

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...am-summit.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...odparents.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ce-claims.html