The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #381  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Claire's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
I think both William and Harry were handled with kid gloves by both The Queen and the P of W in the aftermath of Diana's death resulting in some of the spoiled and impetuous behaviour we have seen from them in the past 20 years. William seems to have settled into a life of duty whereas Harry looks to as if he wants to challenge the institution and the "grey men" Diana talked of.
Yes - always. However the public and press themselves also let Harry and William get away with things that Charles, Andrew and Edward would have been crucified for. The press said it was boys been boys, or he is just a lad having a good time. The Harry the lad image was created by that.
__________________

  #382  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
... The Windsors are "charity royalty" not more, not less. "State actors and actresses"! Well paid!

And they are not apolitical! They are pro-multiculturalism and pro-eco-climate. And all this is Prince Harry too!!!

So, what is all the fuss about? That Prince Harry has gone and is doing his own, well paid "charity acting"? Well, why not? He founded a junior branch of this charity enterprise - not more, not less...
There is something called a sense of duty that I think you fail to take into consideration. Not everybody is moved purely out of a desire to receive remuneration, Royal or not.

And the role of the Sovereign, and by extension their family and representatives is to be apolitical in the British system.
__________________

  #383  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I know some posters will disagree or even abhorred with those views held by these politicians, but I just want to point out that there are people pushing against identity politics, critical race theory or even BLM movement.

I also want to point out that Harry and Meghan seems to be unchallenged or even unaware by opposing opinions. For Meghan, it is possibly due to the way she was brought up in California, with mostly left-leaning views.

It would not surprised me if there are more politicians speaking against Harry and Meghan, more likely to be Conservative MPs. It's not surprising that according to a YouGov poll that 70% of Conservative voters think that Harry and Meghan should be stripped of their royal titles.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_3
The way I see it is that last March, it became officially known that Harry and Meghan no longer represented the Queen, the Firm or the monarchy in any shape or form from that time onward. Any views this couple expresses are their own and represent no one other than themselves. They've surely been taking advantage of that and its rocking the boat.

The British MPs, the British press and the British popular opinion also have the right to express their concerns and their thoughts and views but the reality is that it's going to get them nowhere at all. Harry and Meghan's view on issues have as much weight as any Brit expressing their views on things. The Sussexes actually are *allowed* to express themselves as they see fit at this time without restriction. It may not seem wise or of any benefit other than rocking that proverbial boat and causing uproars but that's the way things are now.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #384  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 97
Then stop using royal titles. You can’t be introduced as duke this and that and talk about the things they are saying now. You can’t have it both ways.
  #385  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:45 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Oakland, United States
Posts: 465
So, during the interview Meghan mentioned she had no idea BHM existed in U.K., yet last year she apparently record letters from students (in addition to people asking on their social media) about it.
The below account is very level headed in her criticism and doesn’t support crazy conspiracy, she is also herself a biracial woman like Meghan.

Meghan: “I was in the U.K. for a few years until we moved back here, I didn’t realise that there was a Black History Month in Britain”

Also Meghan: Receives letter from school children last year as part of Black History Month and gets BP to send a reply

Which is it?

https://twitter.com/kaylaadams___/st...636172807?s=21
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83F40F65-9802-4641-A62C-24B3A65535AB.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	302365  
  #386  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
Then stop using royal titles. You can’t be introduced as duke this and that and talk about the things they are saying now. You can’t have it both ways.
Although Harry is a "royal Duke", the title of "Duke" itself is not a royal title. Its a peerage of the UK title. The most that could be done was to prohibit Harry and Meghan from using their "HRH" which *is* a royal form of address.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #387  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:48 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Peterborough, Canada
Posts: 122
Just because classism is an issue doesn’t mean that racism isn’t. Everyone should speak up and speak loudly about both issues. Harry and Meghan should and have the right to speak up. If they are going to speak, they should say something of substance. At this point, Harry does a very poor job of that, and despite her passion, Meghan isn’t really adding anything new to the conversation. For me, this means that their message creates a “so what” reaction. Of course it’s not up to me, but I can’t help but think that they should immerse themselves into one or two major philanthropic projects that are aligned with their views, work on them while maintaining a low personal profile, and then come back roaring once they have acquired a little bit of gravitas.
  #388  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:55 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: n/a, United States
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
Just because classism is an issue doesn’t mean that racism isn’t. Everyone should speak up and speak loudly about both issues. Harry and Meghan should and have the right to speak up. If they are going to speak, they should say something of substance. At this point, Harry does a very poor job of that, and despite her passion, Meghan isn’t really adding anything new to the conversation. For me, this means that their message creates a “so what” reaction. Of course it’s not up to me, but I can’t help but think that they should immerse themselves into one or two major philanthropic projects that are aligned with their views, work on them while maintaining a low personal profile, and then come back roaring once they have acquired a little bit of gravitas.
They are doing their philanthropy the Hollywood way. Which is a lot of Air very little substance.
  #389  
Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 397
Harry and Meghan has also written a piece on the Evening Standard under Comments section, with the heading: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Our BHM Next Gen Trailblazers list will champion Black Britons' triumphs.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...-a4560916.html
  #390  
Old 10-02-2020, 09:41 AM
HighGoalHighDreams's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 378
Meghan lived in Britain for a matter of months. What position is she in to say how black or white Britons experience life?

Reading a column with Meghan as co-author that talks about the UK in terms of "we" is, frankly, tone deaf.
  #391  
Old 10-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bedford, United States
Posts: 1,451
Meghan lives in Meghan world! All Meghan All the time! No room for other ivoices Well, I guess she allows Harry a place in a corner.

I picture it something like That Being John Malkovich sequence...or the Seagulls from finding Nemo.
  #392  
Old 10-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,157
Extracts from today's piece in The Guardian:

Campaigners hail Harry and Meghan's ‘powerful’ message on racism in UK

Dr Halima Begum, the director of the Runnymede Trust, described the the message as “compelling” and “overwhelming”. “It tells us they understand the millennial pulse; they understand what young people care about today; they understand what is right for the future of the UK.”


Lord Woolley, the director of Operation Black Vote, said structural racism was an “uncomfortable truth and the sooner we confront it the better”. The couple had a “leadership voice”. “And, in this BLM [Black Lives Matter] movement space, what they are saying to these young people, black and white, is your protest to demand structural change is 100% legitimate.”

Harry’s admission he had not been as aware as he thought should resonate with others, said Tyrek Morris, from the community youth-led group, All Black Lives UK. “It invited people to question themselves on whether they are complicit in structural racism, or if they benefit from the system. Because white privilege is very much a thing,” he said.

Gurpreet Kaur, of BLM in the Stix, which highlights racism in rural areas, said it was “heartening” to hear the couple use their influence “to highlight the issue of structural racism in the UK”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ural-racism-uk
  #393  
Old 10-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
The queen and Charles are too weak to crack the whip and put their foot down when it comes to Harry always has been weak and always will be. Hopefully king William will be a lot stronger than his father and granny and not let his personal relationship with relatives get in the way of protecting the monarchy.
I’m sorry? What exactly do you want them to do? Harry and Meghan are no longer working Royals, they can do pretty much what they want. Crack the whip? The Monarchy is just fine.
  #394  
Old 10-02-2020, 11:41 AM
acdc1's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Meghan lived in Britain for a matter of months. What position is she in to say how black or white Britons experience life?

Reading a column with Meghan as co-author that talks about the UK in terms of "we" is, frankly, tone deaf.
I agree. While I don’t have any issue with the message she’s wanting to send, it’s the tone and context that bothers me. It seems rather ridiculous for her, someone who lived in the UK for only 18 months and has seemingly no desire to make it her primary residence or to become a citizen, to lecture Britons about what they should or shouldn’t be doing.
  #395  
Old 10-02-2020, 11:43 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: The 6ix, Canada
Posts: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
So, during the interview Meghan mentioned she had no idea BHM existed in U.K., yet last year she apparently record letters from students (in addition to people asking on their social media) about it.
The below account is very level headed in her criticism and doesn’t support crazy conspiracy, she is also herself a biracial woman like Meghan.

Meghan: “I was in the U.K. for a few years until we moved back here, I didn’t realise that there was a Black History Month in Britain”

Also Meghan: Receives letter from school children last year as part of Black History Month and gets BP to send a reply

Which is it?
Both, probably. She meant she didn't realize that they had a Black History Month until she lived in Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Extracts from today's piece in The Guardian:

Campaigners hail Harry and Meghan's ‘powerful’ message on racism in UK

Dr Halima Begum, the director of the Runnymede Trust, described the the message as “compelling” and “overwhelming”. “It tells us they understand the millennial pulse; they understand what young people care about today; they understand what is right for the future of the UK.”


Lord Woolley, the director of Operation Black Vote, said structural racism was an “uncomfortable truth and the sooner we confront it the better”. The couple had a “leadership voice”. “And, in this BLM [Black Lives Matter] movement space, what they are saying to these young people, black and white, is your protest to demand structural change is 100% legitimate.”

Harry’s admission he had not been as aware as he thought should resonate with others, said Tyrek Morris, from the community youth-led group, All Black Lives UK. “It invited people to question themselves on whether they are complicit in structural racism, or if they benefit from the system. Because white privilege is very much a thing,” he said.

Gurpreet Kaur, of BLM in the Stix, which highlights racism in rural areas, said it was “heartening” to hear the couple use their influence “to highlight the issue of structural racism in the UK”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ural-racism-uk
Imagine how much more powerful and compelling it would be if they'd actually stayed in the UK, not treated it as a giant charity site.
  #396  
Old 10-02-2020, 11:55 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m sorry? What exactly do you want them to do? Harry and Meghan are no longer working Royals, they can do pretty much what they want. Crack the whip? The Monarchy is just fine.
Well I wouldnt say the monarchy is "just fine" but there's not much teh RF can do with H and Meghan. Take away their HRH? Not likely, and tehy arre not getting any money now so there's nothing much Charles can do to rein them in...
  #397  
Old 10-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Would you say that about members of the BRF who speak out about the homeless or unemployed youth?

In fact all elites, and that includes all royals, speak from a wealthy background of status and social inequality from which they benefit. That doesn't stop them from being patrons of organisations that try desparately to help the situation, nor should it, but speaking out for causes when you are wealthy and privileged will inevitably bring accusations of hypocrisy. So what are people who are wealthy or Royal to do? Never speak about matters that may be close to their hearts and about which they feel strongly?
Yes. It’s not their role. Their purpose is to support the monarchy or shine a light on charity.

The royal family surely is not some random ordinary elite. It’s part of the establishment.

Why do any members of the royal family need to “speak out”? As I say it’s not what they’re for. It'll just cause upset where there doesn't need to be any. There's nearly seventy million of us, we've got plenty of people to speak up about various issues. As I mentioned upthread Mark Rashford is a great example.
  #398  
Old 10-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Well I wouldnt say the monarchy is "just fine" but there's not much teh RF can do with H and Meghan. Take away their HRH? Not likely, and tehy arre not getting any money now so there's nothing much Charles can do to rein them in...
Well I would...and I did. As far as I’m concerned, the Monarchy is just fine. But, as to H and M...I agree. They are adults, they aren’t little children - and even if they were, I loathe that kind of attitude (crack the whip, make them know who’s boss, ef...). I didn’t mention it before, but I meant to....the idea that HM, Charles, W and K should all just ignore who Harry is to them, treat him as they would a stranger, not caring about any personal repercussions to their relationships is extremely misguided
  #399  
Old 10-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The way I see it is that last March, it became officially known that Harry and Meghan no longer represented the Queen, the Firm or the monarchy in any shape or form from that time onward. Any views this couple expresses are their own and represent no one other than themselves. They've surely been taking advantage of that and its rocking the boat.

The British MPs, the British press and the British popular opinion also have the right to express their concerns and their thoughts and views but the reality is that it's going to get them nowhere at all. Harry and Meghan's view on issues have as much weight as any Brit expressing their views on things. The Sussexes actually are *allowed* to express themselves as they see fit at this time without restriction. It may not seem wise or of any benefit other than rocking that proverbial boat and causing uproars but that's the way things are now.
They're causing division at a very sensitive time. If members of the royal family can't unite us then there's no point in having a royal family at all.
  #400  
Old 10-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
They're causing division at a very sensitive time. If members of the royal family can't unite us then there's no point in having a royal family at all.
I'm confused. How are they causing division?
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (2 members and 5 guests)
Claricecolin, Curbside
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 2: April-September 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 489 09-03-2020 04:10 AM
General News about the Sussex Family, Part Three: August-September 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 919 09-01-2020 06:59 PM
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 771 04-07-2020 10:20 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi althorp american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry british royals chittagong cht commonwealth countries daisy diana princess of wales dragons duke of cambridge dutch dutch royals family life family tree future games haakon vii hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hill history house of glucksburg imperial household interesting intro israel jack brooksbank jacobite japan jumma kids movie king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mailing maxima mountbatten nepal nepalese royal jewels norwegian royal family prince charles of luxembourg princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn walailak princess elizabeth princess ribha pronunciation queen louise queen maxima royal balls royal jewels royal marriage royal wedding serbian royal family snowdon spain speech spencer family taiwan thailand thai royal family tracts unsubscribe videos wedding gown wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×