The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 08:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius1 View Post
I think both William and Harry were handled with kid gloves by both The Queen and the P of W in the aftermath of Diana's death resulting in some of the spoiled and impetuous behaviour we have seen from them in the past 20 years. William seems to have settled into a life of duty whereas Harry looks to as if he wants to challenge the institution and the "grey men" Diana talked of.
Yes - always. However the public and press themselves also let Harry and William get away with things that Charles, Andrew and Edward would have been crucified for. The press said it was boys been boys, or he is just a lad having a good time. The Harry the lad image was created by that.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
... The Windsors are "charity royalty" not more, not less. "State actors and actresses"! Well paid!

And they are not apolitical! They are pro-multiculturalism and pro-eco-climate. And all this is Prince Harry too!!!

So, what is all the fuss about? That Prince Harry has gone and is doing his own, well paid "charity acting"? Well, why not? He founded a junior branch of this charity enterprise - not more, not less...
There is something called a sense of duty that I think you fail to take into consideration. Not everybody is moved purely out of a desire to receive remuneration, Royal or not.

And the role of the Sovereign, and by extension their family and representatives is to be apolitical in the British system.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I know some posters will disagree or even abhorred with those views held by these politicians, but I just want to point out that there are people pushing against identity politics, critical race theory or even BLM movement.

I also want to point out that Harry and Meghan seems to be unchallenged or even unaware by opposing opinions. For Meghan, it is possibly due to the way she was brought up in California, with mostly left-leaning views.

It would not surprised me if there are more politicians speaking against Harry and Meghan, more likely to be Conservative MPs. It's not surprising that according to a YouGov poll that 70% of Conservative voters think that Harry and Meghan should be stripped of their royal titles.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...ign=question_3
The way I see it is that last March, it became officially known that Harry and Meghan no longer represented the Queen, the Firm or the monarchy in any shape or form from that time onward. Any views this couple expresses are their own and represent no one other than themselves. They've surely been taking advantage of that and its rocking the boat.

The British MPs, the British press and the British popular opinion also have the right to express their concerns and their thoughts and views but the reality is that it's going to get them nowhere at all. Harry and Meghan's view on issues have as much weight as any Brit expressing their views on things. The Sussexes actually are *allowed* to express themselves as they see fit at this time without restriction. It may not seem wise or of any benefit other than rocking that proverbial boat and causing uproars but that's the way things are now.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Gentry

Then stop using royal titles. You can’t be introduced as duke this and that and talk about the things they are saying now. You can’t have it both ways.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:45 AM
Nobility

So, during the interview Meghan mentioned she had no idea BHM existed in U.K., yet last year she apparently record letters from students (in addition to people asking on their social media) about it.
The below account is very level headed in her criticism and doesn’t support crazy conspiracy, she is also herself a biracial woman like Meghan.

Meghan: “I was in the U.K. for a few years until we moved back here, I didn’t realise that there was a Black History Month in Britain”

Also Meghan: Receives letter from school children last year as part of Black History Month and gets BP to send a reply

Which is it?

https://twitter.com/kaylaadams___/st...636172807?s=21
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83F40F65-9802-4641-A62C-24B3A65535AB.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	302365  
Old 10-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
Then stop using royal titles. You can’t be introduced as duke this and that and talk about the things they are saying now. You can’t have it both ways.
Although Harry is a "royal Duke", the title of "Duke" itself is not a royal title. Its a peerage of the UK title. The most that could be done was to prohibit Harry and Meghan from using their "HRH" which *is* a royal form of address.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:48 AM
Aristocracy

Just because classism is an issue doesn’t mean that racism isn’t. Everyone should speak up and speak loudly about both issues. Harry and Meghan should and have the right to speak up. If they are going to speak, they should say something of substance. At this point, Harry does a very poor job of that, and despite her passion, Meghan isn’t really adding anything new to the conversation. For me, this means that their message creates a “so what” reaction. Of course it’s not up to me, but I can’t help but think that they should immerse themselves into one or two major philanthropic projects that are aligned with their views, work on them while maintaining a low personal profile, and then come back roaring once they have acquired a little bit of gravitas.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:55 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by caethi View Post
Just because classism is an issue doesn’t mean that racism isn’t. Everyone should speak up and speak loudly about both issues. Harry and Meghan should and have the right to speak up. If they are going to speak, they should say something of substance. At this point, Harry does a very poor job of that, and despite her passion, Meghan isn’t really adding anything new to the conversation. For me, this means that their message creates a “so what” reaction. Of course it’s not up to me, but I can’t help but think that they should immerse themselves into one or two major philanthropic projects that are aligned with their views, work on them while maintaining a low personal profile, and then come back roaring once they have acquired a little bit of gravitas.
They are doing their philanthropy the Hollywood way. Which is a lot of Air very little substance.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 AM
Nobility

Harry and Meghan has also written a piece on the Evening Standard under Comments section, with the heading: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Our BHM Next Gen Trailblazers list will champion Black Britons' triumphs.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...-a4560916.html
Old 10-02-2020, 09:41 AM
Nobility

Meghan lived in Britain for a matter of months. What position is she in to say how black or white Britons experience life?

Reading a column with Meghan as co-author that talks about the UK in terms of "we" is, frankly, tone deaf.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Serene Highness

Meghan lives in Meghan world! All Meghan All the time! No room for other ivoices Well, I guess she allows Harry a place in a corner.

I picture it something like That Being John Malkovich sequence...or the Seagulls from finding Nemo.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Serene Highness

Extracts from today's piece in The Guardian:

Campaigners hail Harry and Meghan's ‘powerful’ message on racism in UK

Dr Halima Begum, the director of the Runnymede Trust, described the the message as “compelling” and “overwhelming”. “It tells us they understand the millennial pulse; they understand what young people care about today; they understand what is right for the future of the UK.”

Lord Woolley, the director of Operation Black Vote, said structural racism was an “uncomfortable truth and the sooner we confront it the better”. The couple had a “leadership voice”. “And, in this BLM [Black Lives Matter] movement space, what they are saying to these young people, black and white, is your protest to demand structural change is 100% legitimate.”

Harry’s admission he had not been as aware as he thought should resonate with others, said Tyrek Morris, from the community youth-led group, All Black Lives UK. “It invited people to question themselves on whether they are complicit in structural racism, or if they benefit from the system. Because white privilege is very much a thing,” he said.

Gurpreet Kaur, of BLM in the Stix, which highlights racism in rural areas, said it was “heartening” to hear the couple use their influence “to highlight the issue of structural racism in the UK”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ural-racism-uk
Old 10-02-2020, 11:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAtLast View Post
The queen and Charles are too weak to crack the whip and put their foot down when it comes to Harry always has been weak and always will be. Hopefully king William will be a lot stronger than his father and granny and not let his personal relationship with relatives get in the way of protecting the monarchy.
I’m sorry? What exactly do you want them to do? Harry and Meghan are no longer working Royals, they can do pretty much what they want. Crack the whip? The Monarchy is just fine.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Meghan lived in Britain for a matter of months. What position is she in to say how black or white Britons experience life?

Reading a column with Meghan as co-author that talks about the UK in terms of "we" is, frankly, tone deaf.
I agree. While I don’t have any issue with the message she’s wanting to send, it’s the tone and context that bothers me. It seems rather ridiculous for her, someone who lived in the UK for only 18 months and has seemingly no desire to make it her primary residence or to become a citizen, to lecture Britons about what they should or shouldn’t be doing.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
So, during the interview Meghan mentioned she had no idea BHM existed in U.K., yet last year she apparently record letters from students (in addition to people asking on their social media) about it.
The below account is very level headed in her criticism and doesn’t support crazy conspiracy, she is also herself a biracial woman like Meghan.

Meghan: “I was in the U.K. for a few years until we moved back here, I didn’t realise that there was a Black History Month in Britain”

Also Meghan: Receives letter from school children last year as part of Black History Month and gets BP to send a reply

Which is it?
Both, probably. She meant she didn't realize that they had a Black History Month until she lived in Britain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Extracts from today's piece in The Guardian:

Campaigners hail Harry and Meghan's ‘powerful’ message on racism in UK

Dr Halima Begum, the director of the Runnymede Trust, described the the message as “compelling” and “overwhelming”. “It tells us they understand the millennial pulse; they understand what young people care about today; they understand what is right for the future of the UK.”

Lord Woolley, the director of Operation Black Vote, said structural racism was an “uncomfortable truth and the sooner we confront it the better”. The couple had a “leadership voice”. “And, in this BLM [Black Lives Matter] movement space, what they are saying to these young people, black and white, is your protest to demand structural change is 100% legitimate.”

Harry’s admission he had not been as aware as he thought should resonate with others, said Tyrek Morris, from the community youth-led group, All Black Lives UK. “It invited people to question themselves on whether they are complicit in structural racism, or if they benefit from the system. Because white privilege is very much a thing,” he said.

Gurpreet Kaur, of BLM in the Stix, which highlights racism in rural areas, said it was “heartening” to hear the couple use their influence “to highlight the issue of structural racism in the UK”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ural-racism-uk
Imagine how much more powerful and compelling it would be if they'd actually stayed in the UK, not treated it as a giant charity site.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m sorry? What exactly do you want them to do? Harry and Meghan are no longer working Royals, they can do pretty much what they want. Crack the whip? The Monarchy is just fine.
Well I wouldnt say the monarchy is "just fine" but there's not much teh RF can do with H and Meghan. Take away their HRH? Not likely, and tehy arre not getting any money now so there's nothing much Charles can do to rein them in...
Old 10-02-2020, 12:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Would you say that about members of the BRF who speak out about the homeless or unemployed youth?

In fact all elites, and that includes all royals, speak from a wealthy background of status and social inequality from which they benefit. That doesn't stop them from being patrons of organisations that try desparately to help the situation, nor should it, but speaking out for causes when you are wealthy and privileged will inevitably bring accusations of hypocrisy. So what are people who are wealthy or Royal to do? Never speak about matters that may be close to their hearts and about which they feel strongly?
Yes. It’s not their role. Their purpose is to support the monarchy or shine a light on charity.

The royal family surely is not some random ordinary elite. It’s part of the establishment.

Why do any members of the royal family need to “speak out”? As I say it’s not what they’re for. It'll just cause upset where there doesn't need to be any. There's nearly seventy million of us, we've got plenty of people to speak up about various issues. As I mentioned upthread Mark Rashford is a great example.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Well I wouldnt say the monarchy is "just fine" but there's not much teh RF can do with H and Meghan. Take away their HRH? Not likely, and tehy arre not getting any money now so there's nothing much Charles can do to rein them in...
Well I would...and I did. As far as I’m concerned, the Monarchy is just fine. But, as to H and M...I agree. They are adults, they aren’t little children - and even if they were, I loathe that kind of attitude (crack the whip, make them know who’s boss, ef...). I didn’t mention it before, but I meant to....the idea that HM, Charles, W and K should all just ignore who Harry is to them, treat him as they would a stranger, not caring about any personal repercussions to their relationships is extremely misguided
Old 10-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The way I see it is that last March, it became officially known that Harry and Meghan no longer represented the Queen, the Firm or the monarchy in any shape or form from that time onward. Any views this couple expresses are their own and represent no one other than themselves. They've surely been taking advantage of that and its rocking the boat.

The British MPs, the British press and the British popular opinion also have the right to express their concerns and their thoughts and views but the reality is that it's going to get them nowhere at all. Harry and Meghan's view on issues have as much weight as any Brit expressing their views on things. The Sussexes actually are *allowed* to express themselves as they see fit at this time without restriction. It may not seem wise or of any benefit other than rocking that proverbial boat and causing uproars but that's the way things are now.
They're causing division at a very sensitive time. If members of the royal family can't unite us then there's no point in having a royal family at all.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
They're causing division at a very sensitive time. If members of the royal family can't unite us then there's no point in having a royal family at all.
I'm confused. How are they causing division?

Closed Thread