The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
So I have to ask, did anyone watch Harry and Meghan's hands during the interview with Oprah? I fully admit that I absolutely did not and that I really didn't notice them at all. And frankly, I really can't drag myself through watching that farce again just to watch their hands.

The reason I ask? I read an article yesterday (don't ask me where, I'm functioning on very little sleep and can't remember) that stated that during the interview, when Harry spoke, Meghan would discreetly tap him on the hand and he would almost immediately go silent. Now, I admit, I've never found Harry to be a particularly eloquent speaker either while giving prepared speeches or in these sorts of settings and it's been noted time and again that he tends to put his foot in his mouth in these settings but, I didn't notice the hand tap. I also wasn't paying any attention at all to their hands. So, did anyone notice a hand tap?
Yesterday I saw an analysis by 4 gentlemen who were lauded as importand advisors when it comes to body language on YouTube about exactly that. It was quite a good analysis, I thought.

Here it is:

Old 03-16-2021, 12:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
We literally had “William and Harry make contact” on the front page of the Times this weekend with the “source” coming from the Cambridges. Harry seemed to confirm it. Though all of it is second hand.
William did say himself he would be speaking to his brother.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
It is now obvious that the plan was always an American / UK life.
Look at the guest list for the wedding. She didn't even know some if them or had met them once but excluded family from both sides.
That was her stepping stone to be an A lister, the new Diana.
They had been discussing the move for 2 years.
So obviously the move was not as a result of what she claims to have experienced but an existing plan.
The shock was Bank of Charles closed.
I thought the interview was a money maker but because of the drip feeding of info 're existence of e mails, a diary, letters written to royals that no doubt there will be copies I now believe they are trying to manipulate the family to get what they want by threats.
I do not know what it is they want but I can guess though.

But I read that the "Bank of Dad" only closed after Harry wanted Charles to buy that house in Santa Barbara for them. He was willing to still give them a million a year as allowance, but did not want to pay 15 millions for the house. Harry must have known that Charles couldn't get his hand on that amount easily without having to write it down on his published accounts. he had problems with Diana's divorce sum, so had to borrow from the queen (IIRC) and he has to lay open his accounts when it comes to the money from the dukedom of Cornwall. Still, Harry had to buy a palace with 16 bathrooms...
Old 03-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
Thank you. I had forgotten the exact wording.

I

Harry, on the other hand... And Meghan seems to have failed to correct him on this.
makes you wonder.. did they intend to start up some kind of deal with a company like Netflix..
Do they boht think that while they talked about making a professional incoem, they really thought that Dad would go on paying for them and they could swan around doing nothing?
Old 03-16-2021, 12:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
But I read that the "Bank of Dad" only closed after Harry wanted Charles to buy that house in Santa Barbara for them. He was willing to still give them a million a year as allowance, but did not want to pay 15 millions for the house. Harry must have known that Charles couldn't get his hand on that amount easily without having to write it down on his published accounts. he had problems with Diana's divorce sum, so had to borrow from the queen (IIRC) and he has to lay open his accounts when it comes to the money from the dukedom of Cornwall. Still, Harry had to buy a palace with 16 bathrooms...
I cannot confirm anything about buying a house, it had been reported here sometime ago that Charles had made a one off payment to help them get started but The annual allowance would stop.
Until Harry mentioned it there had been no confirmation .
Old 03-16-2021, 12:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
makes you wonder.. did they intend to start up some kind of deal with a company like Netflix..
Do they boht think that while they talked about making a professional incoem, they really thought that Dad would go on paying for them and they could swan around doing nothing?
They might have thought that pretending they love and respect the racist RF who has played so welcome to poor victim Meghan consituted jobs... Acting ones After all, Meghan was an actress.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I just checked. In the official statement released, they stated the wish to be "financially independent" but going into the "funding" area of that time and their "manifesto" how they perceived things to work (at the time, still half in and half out), its stated "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex take great pride in their work and are committed to continuing their charitable endeavours as well as establishing new ones. In addition, they value the ability to earn a professional income, which in the current structure they are prohibited from doing."

For anyone kind of new to the Forums here that perhaps never saw Sussex Royal or their statements, here's a link. https://sussexroyal.com/funding/
That's for getting the exact wording.

So either they were lying at the time when they said they "valued the ability to earn a professional income" and thought that would scare Charles into paying for everything so they didn't flog branded tat, or they had every intention of signing with Netflix or another media company and thought "I only did it because Daddy cut me off!" sounded better and suited their current "burn it all down" mood.

I can't believe they thought Netflix plus royal tours would work (half in half out). Equally don't see how they could have thought having someone else pay for everything (including a 16 bathroom mansion in the most expensive place in California!) whilst they lectured the world and did a bit of charity work was sustainable either. I know Harry might have very little idea how the world actually works but Meghan did.

There are rumours that Charles helped them with the mansion but that was the last of it.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

So either they were lying at the time when they said they "valued the ability to earn a professional income" and thought that would scare Charles into paying for everything so they didn't flog branded tat, or they had every intention of signing with Netflix or another media company and thought "I only did it because Daddy cut me off!" sounded better and suited their current "burn it all down" mood.

I can't believe they thought Netflix plus royal tours would work (half in half out). Equally don't see how they could have thought having someone else pay for everything (including a 16 bathroom mansion in the most expensive place in California!) whilst they lectured the world and did a bit of charity work was sustainable either. I know Harry might have very little idea how the world actually works but Meghan did.

There are rumours that Charles helped them with the mansion but that was the last of it.
I'm wondering what Netflix is thinking hearing they only signed with them for productions because they a) had no choice and b) realized they needed "big money" and needed it fast? Now they're under contract to provide something worth the money they contracted for. With Harry moaning to the world he's been "cut off" Is Netflix worried they won't have the funds to actually produce something worth their while to air?

As their reputations sink from being philanthropists and influencers to being *talk show entertainment*, is Netflix worried at all about what they're going to come up with? I sure would be.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
You know, this is true, I suppose. However, when those mouthpieces make an absolute point of saying "I spoke to them and they said" or "I absolutely have their blessing to speak" or "they told me it was fine to say this on the record" I find it very, very difficult to use the "we said we wouldn't and we aren't, they are" defense. This really is splitting hairs. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with what you said and I'd bet good money that this would be Meghan and Harry's line of defense if questioned directly about why they said they wouldn't speak but they are. However, I just don't find it a very watertight defense. Technically correct, yes. But actually correct, not by a long shot.

ICAM with this. That would be the Sussexes defense for sure. But- they are still talking IMO when they’re authorizing their friends to talk.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:02 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post

I think its been mentioned that Charles gave them some hundreds of thousands to start up their new life.. but he probably jibbed at paying for a house or continuing to pay £2M a year to them... and i think it shows that harry was making himself very unpleasant, if Charles did stop taking his calls....
Old 03-16-2021, 01:04 PM
Gentry

They literally won't let the story pass! They're expecting a child yet all they do is trying to further diminish the royals but it backfires on them.
It's so tacky that now we know about a unproductive call with Williams and Charles. Oh and how no one called Meghan. H&M try to sell anything, they're already out of bullets, the receipts are bluff or "she said he said" scenario.
Michelle Obama dissed them with comment what public service is. It must have been hard. Losing beloved Michelle. The public is further tired of them, seeing how thirsty they're so they're digging their old grave. So I believe those who believed them are now re-considering it. Also their dignity is simply gone. I wouldn't speak to them if I were a Royal ever again.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm wondering what Netflix is thinking hearing they only signed with them for productions because they a) had no choice and b) realized they needed "big money" and needed it fast? Now they're under contract to provide something worth the money they contracted for. With Harry moaning to the world he's been "cut off" Is Netflix worried they won't have the funds to actually produce something worth their while to air?

As their reputations sink from being philanthropists and influencers to being *talk show entertainment*, is Netflix worried at all about what they're going to come up with? I sure would be.
I wold say that Netfilx has made sure that it has a get out. If they dont produce ideas and do some work, they will possibly have to drop out of the contract and if they've been given an advance, they'll have to repay it.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:11 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I wold say that Netfilx has made sure that it has a get out. If they dont produce ideas and do some work, they will possibly have to drop out of the contract and if they've been given an advance, they'll have to repay it.
Agreed. I mean, I certainly don't claim to know the ins and outs of running a multi-billion dollar corporation like Netflix but I do know with absolutely certainty that they have the best lawyers money can buy and with that, airtight contracts. There's absolutely no way they wouldn't have a "get out fast" clause in that contract if they don't feel that they're getting value for their money.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:12 PM
Aristocracy

Personally, I don't believe that their value to Netflix was in producing content, in which neither of them has any experience. It might have been part of the deal to save face, akin to Princess Michael's books, but there is just one thing that places Harry and Meghan above 99% of the people Netflix works with and it's their royalty. In one shape or another, at some point they would have been expected to provide salacious content about the royals. Hence Meghan's receipts, emails and so on.

If I'm right, their value to Netflix can only be diminished if people get fed up with them, not because the worth of their noble aims might be put into question and tarnished by it lowly money...
Old 03-16-2021, 01:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
Personally, I don't believe that their value to Netflix was in producing content, in which neither of them has any experience. It might have been part of the deal to save face, akin to Princess Michael's books, but there is just one thing that places Harry and Meghan above 99% of the people Netflix works with and it's their royalty. In one shape or another, at some point they would have been expected to provide salacious content about the royals. Hence Meghan's receipts, emails and so on.

If I'm right, their value to Netflix can only be diminished if people get fed up with them, not because the worth of their noble aims might be put into question and tarnished by it lowly money...
That's actually a great point and it certainly speaks to the no publicity is really bad publicity thing. But, I have to wonder, where do you draw the line? I mean, it's all well and good, I guess to do their tell-all, rehash all the old complaints ad nauseum, etc. but at a certain point the RF will stop speaking to them entirely if they continue to pull stunts like this Gayle King thing. Then what happens? How long can they traffic on the same old rehashed whines? How long do they really have have to be big draws when they run out of material? I mean, I'd think that high-priced publicity firm would warn that if they overshoot the mark too frequently or too boldly they will eventually shoot themselves in the foot...
Old 03-16-2021, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I agree that it is not likely that netflix is expecting big broadcasting ideas from the duke and duchess. But wouldn't it more be a matter of branding/ marketing? The company wants to be associated with the name/brand of the duke and duchess.

I assume it was the same for the Obama's. I am sure that some people may watch their documentaries but for the station it is more valuable to have their brand associated with the brand of the the former president and his wife.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I just checked. In the official statement released, they stated the wish to be "financially independent" but going into the "funding" area of that time and their "manifesto" how they perceived things to work (at the time, still half in and half out), its stated "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex take great pride in their work and are committed to continuing their charitable endeavours as well as establishing new ones. In addition, they value the ability to earn a professional income, which in the current structure they are prohibited from doing."

For anyone kind of new to the Forums here that perhaps never saw Sussex Royal or their statements, here's a link. https://sussexroyal.com/funding/

But I don't read that as if they planned to actually earn money themselves. They say that on getting rid of the 5% of their income payed by the Souvereign Grant, they become "members of the Royal family with financial independance",
"During the course of 2020, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have made the choice to step back as senior members of the Royal Family and no longer receive funding through the Sovereign Grant, thereby making them members of the Royal Family with financial independence."
So it was always income "allocated by HRH The Prince of Wales, generated through the Duchy of Cornwall" they planned to live on.

Plus once they were not longer working all the time for the queen, they could surely enjoy all those gifts Meghan had gotten when she was still an upcoming actress (infors taken from the book "Finding Freedom": travel, clothes and accessories, cosmetics, wines etc., all the stuff that top-tier influencers get for free in exchange of presenting the things in public. At least I guess that's what Meghan thought and what Harry wouldn't know because I don't think anybody was really interested if he payed for his drinks or hotel rooms or was invited when he was out with the boys.

But as we knew, the RF doesn't work like that and it makes sense they don't.

Another point: where would they live? According to their former website, they intended to keep Frogmore Cottage so "that their family will always have a place to call home in the United Kingdom." Plus surely a place in the US or in one Commonwealth state.

So what some people here mentioned, that the fact that Charles closed the bank was one main reason for their anger and the way they gave that interview? it sound plausible to me.

Not sure what I should think of that because I have been in a similar, though not soo luxurious position as Meghan, having gotten trips around Europe, invitations to posh parties etc. due to my former job and I'm sure I'd have missed that when I was so young as Meghan still is. So the "overexposure, so stay at home" advice by a grey man and the rules about which invites to accept and which not etc. must have irked her very much. Espeially when she figured that there is no expanding of their roles to work forward to.

For her, this double trouble plan made sense. Harry thought it could work out as he as a single prince was not under so much scrutiny as he was as a married man and now a Royal duke. Charles IMHO wanted to see both of them happy. So he let them go and gave them a buckload of money in his eyes. But not enough to pay for a palace near LA. Yep, security would be a problem but I doubt Charles and Harry realised that in the beginning.

But now meghan and Harry have to show the companies that they are worthy influencers and guests... So jump up on the hot topics like race, personal security etc.

They remind me of poor Diana here who did not have the money to finance holidays with her boys in the way the RF could have, if they wanted to. So Diana and the connection with Al Fayed happened... I wonder who Harry and Meghan will consort with if it all doesn't work out as they think it should. So I hope it does! But poor prince Charles.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I really don't know their situation to even guess but what it *appears* to me like being is that they decide they're going to strike out on their own and make it big in California. To do that, they get the house, the car, the credit card (well.. for them, the Netflix contract). They're all set and ready to roll! On top of the world no less! Now... we can complain about the previous life and its ills and woes because that's all behind us now and doesn't matter.

But wait! There's more! Surprise, Harry! Taxes come due and the garden is getting overgrown and heat and drought are drying up the lawns and driving up the water bill (oh yah, don't forget flushing 16 toilets is expensive), the staff paychecks are due and the PR company and lawyers all are standing in line for their share and pay. The car needs security officers to guard it wherever it goes and those guys don't come cheap! (should have scouted out for retired hockey players when they were in Canada). Archie is at the stage of going through the terrible two times and Meghan is pregnant and hormonal and dagnabit... Netflix is on their case about what they've actually done so far. Can't call family for a sympathetic ear these days and even Psychic Friends cost and arm and a leg and three hangnails. (Costs start at $1/minute).

What to do? What to do? Welcome to the *real* world Harry!
Old 03-16-2021, 01:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

I agree that it is not likely that netflix is expecting big broadcasting ideas from the duke and duchess. But wouldn't it more be a matter of branding/ marketing? The company wants to be associated with the name/brand of the duke and duchess.

I assume it was the same for the Obama's. I am sure that some people may watch their documentaries but for the station it is more valuable to have their brand associated with the brand of the the former president and his wife.
The brand thing was certainly a consideration. But the two situations were vastly different. The Obamas are accomplished, they *have* accomplished something. They're much more famous than the Sussexes for the right reasons.

What was the main draw of the Sussexes? They are famous, for sure, but not anywhere near the Obamas' level. It's ridicilous to compare their achievements. Yes, they are royalty but without the trappings of royalty, their glamour and the reaffirmation of their belonging to the *core* RF would fade pretty quickly, thus devaluing the brand. I mentioned Princess Michael for a reason. I don't think Netflix would pay the sums mentioned in the media to Princess Michael for simply working or even associating with them and lending them her HRH. And as George, Charlotte and Louis grow up and become media's favourite objects, Harry and Meghan will be turning into Princess Michael. Even on a purely family level, Eugenie and Beatrice and their children would occupy a bigger space in the British media once the dust settles because Harry and Meghan chose to live elsewhere. Without publicity, be it good or bad, they'll be soon forgotten.

Harry and Meghan's main draw was always the ability to give an "inside" look to the RF. And no one would be interested in nice, boring things even if they were inclined to say them. Netflix certainly wouldn't.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That's actually a great point and it certainly speaks to the no publicity is really bad publicity thing. But, I have to wonder, where do you draw the line? I mean, it's all well and good, I guess to do their tell-all, rehash all the old complaints ad nauseum, etc. but at a certain point the RF will stop speaking to them entirely if they continue to pull stunts like this Gayle King thing. Then what happens? How long can they traffic on the same old rehashed whines? How long do they really have have to be big draws when they run out of material? I mean, I'd think that high-priced publicity firm would warn that if they overshoot the mark too frequently or too boldly they will eventually shoot themselves in the foot...

There is so much they can do: eg buy documentaries about Royal assets and history full of bling and then speak an introduction and dub the docu with their voices. Or go to museums around the world, make visits to the "Treasure troves" of former monarchies and talk with jewelers about the pieces. When a rich person buys a chateau, Meghan could meet up with the interior designers etc. to get infos about that and be shown everything from the plans to the finished palace. Topics Meghan felt close to when she did The Tig. Yes, she could meet the current Marchese Antiniori and the countesses of A., who run the wine empire of the family!

There are so many either noble or rich or both people who will be proud to be interviewed by HRH The Duchess of Sussex. ("Lady Colin" was only married for 10 months and that was 45 years ago, but she still is considered to be a lady of the nobility...)

Closed Thread