The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
It doesn't seem Archewell has any donors or at the moment mich really. It may have in the future but at the moment it isn't much.
You may be right but Harry and Meghan are obviously reaching out to corporations for positions, so they may well be fundraising at the same time. It would look good for them. It's good PR to be associated with charities. It is a 501(c)(3) organization, which means that it can accept tax deductible contributions.

Regardless, Archewell is a separate entity from Meghan and Harry, so the money is technically not coming out of their living expenses.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:37 PM
Majesty

This £10,000 is coming from the cookbook project started by Meghan when the Sussexes were still part of the Royal Foundation. When they left the Foundation the moneys from the couple’s various endeavours remained. The Community cookbook ‘Together’ (which was suggested by Meghan to the ladies at the Community Kitchen and adopted) made a large profit, is still selling and is still being doled out more than a year later, via the Royal Foundation. It will be shown in the verified accounts in July, along with all the other donations given via the Royal Foundation.

Old 03-25-2021, 04:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I don't know how it's constituted, but the name "Foundation" suggests that it's a non profit making organisation.
I'm not sure about this because that would mean that all of their productions were not for profit and I persume they are. I dont joke if it is not for profit to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
This £10,000 is coming from the cookbook project started by Meghan when the Sussexes were still part of the Royal Foundation. When they left the Foundation the moneys from the couple’s various endeavours remained. The Community cookbook ‘Together’ (which was suggested by Meghan to the ladies at the Community Kitchen and adopted) made a large profit, is still selling and is still being doled out more than a year later, via the Royal Foundation. It will be shown in the verified accounts in July, along with all the other donations given via the Royal Foundation.
Weren't the proceeds from that book,a fantastic idea by the way, put directly back into Grenfell. It isn't for it to be donated.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm not sure about this because that would mean that all of their productions were not for profit and I persume they are. I dont joke if it is not for profit to be honest.
Archewell is actually three different entities. The donation comes from the foundation which is a nonprofit. In the U.S., the foundation can raise tax deductible contributions from other people and businesses. We don't know if that is what they are doing. There is also an Archewell Production and Archewell Audio, which are for profit and Harry and Meghan can use those funds for their personal expenses.
https://archewell.com/
Old 03-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Weren't the proceeds from that book,a fantastic idea by the way, put directly back into Grenfell. It isn't for it to be donated.
A great deal of the profits did go back to the ladies of Grenfell. It expanded their kitchens and allowed them to feed people in the community for a year. I imagine that there was an agreement that some money could go to approved community projects elsewhere that fight prejudice and feed people. So this money was used for that.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:56 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
A great deal of the profits did go back to the ladies of Grenfell. It expanded their kitchens and allowed them to feed people in the community for a year. I imagine that there was an agreement that some money could go to approved community projects elsewhere that fight prejudice and feed people. So this money was used for that.
So the money did not come from Meghan and Harry personally, it came from people buying the book with the understanding that the profits would go to charity. That is fine, but it is different than Meghan and Harry using their own money.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Archewell is actually three different entities. The donation comes from the foundation which is a nonprofit. In the U.S., the foundation can raise tax deductible contributions from other people and businesses. We don't know if that is what they are doing. There is also an Archewell Production and Archewell Audio, which are for profit and Harry and Meghan can use those funds for their personal expenses.
https://archewell.com/
The £10,000 donation doesn’t come from Archewell and is nothing to do with that Foundation. Because the Sussexes left GB before Archewell was set up all the moneys from their various endeavours were left in the care of the Royal Foundation.

As was made clear in the original tweet from Scobie that I linked here, the money comes from the Community Cookbook ‘Together’ which was a project of Meghan’s. Therefore the money comes from the profits of that book, via the Royal Foundation.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:00 PM
Majesty

So Meghan hasn't donated the money...
Old 03-25-2021, 05:00 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The £10,000 donation doesn’t come from Archewell and is nothing to do with that Foundation. Because the Sussexes left GB before Archewell was set up all the moneys from their various endeavours were left in the care of the Royal Foundation.

As was made clear in the original tweet from Scobie that I linked here, the money comes from the Community Cookbook ‘Together’ which was a project of Meghan’s. Therefore the money comes from the profits of that book, via the Royal Foundation.
Point taken. Either way, this was not a personal donation from Harry and Meghan. To answer Osipi's question, I think it does make a difference.

As an aside, I would be a little upset if I bought the book thinking the money would go to Grenfell but the money was given to another charity altogether.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
So the money did not come from Meghan and Harry personally, it came from people buying the book with the understanding that the profits would go to charity. That is fine, but it is different than Meghan and Harry using their own money.
Where on the original Tweet from Scobie that I linked did it state that the money was from Meghan or Harry’s own pockets? It was a project of Meghan’s when she was a working royal, and a very successful project at that.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Where on the original Tweet from Scobie that I linked did it state that the money was from Meghan or Harry’s own pockets? It was a project of Meghan’s when she was a working royal, and a very successful project at that.
I wasn't discussing the tweet from Scobie.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:04 PM
Majesty

The post said "Meghan has donated £10K" I would take that to mean that Meghan had given £10k of her own money.....
Old 03-25-2021, 05:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Point taken. Either way, this was not a personal donation from Harry and Meghan. To answer Osipi's question, I think it does make a difference.

As an aside, I would be a little upset if I bought the book thinking the money would go to Grenell but the money was given to another charity altogether.
I do have the book and I bought it particulay because of Grenfell. I am not terribly happy about that.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
The post said "Meghan has donated £10K" I would take that to mean that Meghan had given £10k of her own money.....
The donation obviously did come from Meghan not an anonymous donor. It was from her project, the cookbook, but via the Royal Foundation Sussex moneys, and she would have been aware of the donation.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
I wouldn’t take Charles as a model of treating the Monarchy and the feelings of the people with respect. Yet he was forgiven and not cast out. One would presume he keeps this in mind.
Oh no. I was not suggesting that he had. I was just thinking about the future and how he has to consider the Monarchy at the same time as his family. Hopefully he has learned a few lessons.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
The donation obviously did come from Meghan not an anonymous donor. It was from her project, the cookbook, but via the Royal Foundation Sussex moneys, and she would have authorised the donation.
I don't think the donation obviously came from Meghan. The donation was authorized by Meghan. It's great that she wrote a book and dedicated the profits to the Grenfell organization, Charles did something similar with a children's book. The money came from the people who bought the book with the understanding that the money would go to Grenfell. Therefore, the money was not Meghan's to do with as she pleased, it had to go to a charity - otherwise it would be fraud.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:05 PM
Majesty

Most donations administered by The Royal Foundation aren’t direct donations from royal persons. They authorise them to be given to various charities. If there was anything wrong with the donation to the Nottingham project then we would have known about it.

Nowhere is it suggested that the £10,OOO was Meghan’s ‘to do what she pleased with’.

I personally find it terribly wearing when I post links to donations from Harry and Meghan, whether via Archewell or the Royal Foundation or out of their own pockets to do good for a community project or charity, and there are instantly questions about where the money came from. Individually and together the couple have donated out of their own pockets on several occasions. These have been documented here on the Sussex threads.

Neither Harry nor Meghan have ever been accused of financial fraud and they’ve always been clear about whether their donations have been from them, in Archie’s name, from Archewell or from various projects headed by them in the old Royal Foundation.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent

There is a difference between a personal donation by the couple and a donation from a charitable enterprise (whether a book with profits going to charity or a foundation). It is still a good cause to donate to and a good thing to do, but a book who's profit has to go to charity giving charity money is not the same as someone giving their own money. But, again, a good thing for a good cause. TBF, the tweet from Omid and the article do make it sound at first as it is from Meghan personally until you read further.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
There is a difference between a personal donation by the couple and a donation from a charitable enterprise (whether a book with profits going to charity or a foundation). It is still a good cause to donate to and a good thing to do, but a book who's profit has to go to charity giving charity money is not the same as someone giving their own money. But, again, a good thing for a good cause. TBF, the tweet from Omid and the article do make it sound at first as it is from Meghan personally until you read further.
Well, since Scobie is making an entire career out of being Meghan’s mouthpiece and cheerleader, this really surprises no one. It’s absolutely a worthy cause and it’s certainly a generous donation but the fact remains that it’s important to be open and transparent about who or where the funds came from.
Old 03-25-2021, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

I completely agree - and isn't it a shame that the obvious PR spin being put on it is somewhat detracting from the very worthwhile donation. That is something H&M and their team need to work on IMO - not turning everything into being about them.

Closed Thread