Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to a new poll from Opinium Research, Meghan’s approval rating is up 1 point from November to 40 percent.

Also from the same poll, 53 per cent of Britons say they will not watch the wedding on television next Saturday at Windsor Castle’s St George’s Chapel.

Just 38 per cent plan to tune into coverage.

Results were published yesterday.

I bet a lot of people who say they won't watch will, they just don't want their friends or other people to think they are naff or some such. :D

Although Harry IS popular, and MILLIONS here in the UK will watch the Wedding, it doesn't have the importance his Brother's wedding had for the future of this country, and takes place on an already busy Spring Saturday that isn't a Public Holiday.

MANY will be working/shopping or doing whatever they usually do on a Saturday.

The Pubs will do good business, i've seen many Poster's and Press adverts saying "Come for the Wedding, stay for the Football"..

Last edited:
Just want to put in my guess for the page boys and bridesmaids:

Prince George
Jasper Dyer
Ivy Mulroney
Princess Charlotte
The Litt girls

Also my guess. Maybe the Mulroney twins to even if out.

Have to realize a lot of people don't take polls. That was the percentage of people they actually polled. How much of the population actually took the poll :whistling:

As for it 'isn't as important as William's' that really has no part in this. People don't watch these weddings because of 'how close they are to the throne'. They watch them or don't watch them out of interest. Harry is extremely popular, the good looking 'bachelor prince' about to marry an actress. Sorry, but that is more exciting to many people, then William even if William will one day be king. Television ratings aren't based on proximity to the throne.

Nor will the fact that the wedding isn't on a holiday. It needed to be on a holiday for William and Kate as they married on a weekday. Yes, there are people who work weekends. But they are a lot less then those who work on the weekdays. Besides the networks are also considering foreign viewers, especially Americans. And a british bank holiday wouldn't affect them.

Any confirmation Doria is actually in London. The Daily mail is denying she is there. That she wont arrive for another day or two.

I agree - it seems like quite a good list. I would love for little Mia to be a bridesmaid too; she's very sweet. We've seen the Cambridges getting on well with the Tindalls at horse shows but I don't know what Harry's relationship with them is like. I wonder if Mia could be a candidate for Eugenie and Jack? Not sure how close Eugenie is with Zara and Mike either; though. However it would be nice for George if he were in Harry's bridal party to have a bridesmaid who is around his age, and seeing George and Mia together with Charlotte would be super cute.
I also agree with those who said that Maude Windsor is a better candidate for Eugenie considering that she is her goddaughter.

Mia being George's age might be all the more reason she is ruled out.

Ivy is five, and it looks like the Litt girls are as well from what I have read. Honestly Charlotte is the one who has no one her age range.

Unless they go with 8, and pair girl/boy (which I doubt), they will be more concerned with pairing George with a Boy close to him in age. page boys will be paired. And Jasper Dyer fits that.

I don't think at his age, George really will find 'having a girl his age' fun. :cool:

Considering Meghan is marrying into the British royal family I really don’t care how many Americans are interested or watching. If every person in America watched it has no impact in Britain.

I hope the wedding gets at least respectable numbers in the U.K. just because I’m a monarchist.

With no foreign royals I’m praying George and Charlotte are there so I have a reason to watch.

Considering Meghan is marrying into the British royal family I really don’t care how many Americans are interested or watching. If every person in America watched it has no impact in Britain.

I hope the wedding gets at least respectable numbers in the U.K. just because I’m a monarchist.

With no foreign royals I’m praying George and Charlotte are there so I have a reason to watch.
You'll be watching. You haven't missed a single Harry/Meghan detail. [emoji6]

Even with William being best man and Kate attending that’s not enough for me to watch. I’m waiting on the announcement of George and Charlotte.

Of course, I mean for Americans its only entertainment. For the British, it is a matter of grave importance. They wait on baited breath :eek:

I can see the headlines 'Only 10million Brits watched the royal wedding. The stock market crashed 100 points and unemployment has fallen to a new low. People wonder how the royal family will ever save the country' :lol:?

This wedding and how many viewers watch it aren't important to anyone other then the networks at their ratings. If there really was as little interest as you claim, the networks would not be covering it like they are. They are businesses first and foremost. Those polls are not likely to represent more then 30% of the population of the UK. People don't tend to take polls.

And as a Canadian, whose royal family this is, I would argue Canadian viewers definitely are important. :flowers: As well as Aussie, New Zealanders and any other of the queen's realms.

Even with William being best man and Kate attending that’s not enough for me to watch. I’m waiting on the announcement of George and Charlotte.

Maybe you will be around when George marries???? This is Harry and Meghan's wedding. If Harry and Meghan aren't the focus, what is the point of watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah countessmeout, Im not ‘claiming’ anything. I’m posting numbers. Same with the lack of street parties.

I’ve apparently struck a nerve which isn’t surprising. You make sure to watch and that’ll make up for me not watching.

Mia being George's age might be all the more reason she is ruled out.

Ivy is five, and it looks like the Litt girls are as well from what I have read. Honestly Charlotte is the one who has no one her age range.

Unless they go with 8, and pair girl/boy (which I doubt), they will be more concerned with pairing George with a Boy close to him in age. page boys will be paired. And Jasper Dyer fits that.

I don't think at his age, George really will find 'having a girl his age' fun. :cool:

The two Litt girls are five and seven.
The Mulroney boys are eight.

So they could really go in pairs, the ages are close enough.
Not saying they will, but they could.

as a citizen of Australia, one of the realms, I am going to enjoy watching Harry and Meghan's wedding on one of the major free to air channels that have been falling over themselves to screen this wedding,(or on one of the cable channels) with my focus being on the bride and groom, not the best man or his wife.

There is lots of coverage planned in Australia. ITV’s royal reporter sent out this tweet on that very subject.

Looks like Australia is more excited than Britain is ... #royalwedding

Via Chris Ship Twitter

I wanted to stay out of the poll debate, however, something we have to take into consideration is "who says they will tune in" vs. "who actually tunes in". For example, about 53% of Britons said they were going to watch the royal wedding in 2011 according to Reuters and BBC. However, only about 40% actually tuned in.

Here are the numbers: According to BBC, 24.5 million Brits watched the wedding in 2011, compared to 33.5 million that was expected to tune in based on poll numbers.

All this is to say, let's wait until after the wedding before we start to "rejoice" that Brits didn't tune into Harry and Meghan's wedding. Maybe less people will tune in, or maybe more will.

Those figures are very interesting JuliannaVictoria. Thankyou for them.

Yes, Rudolph, Harry is popular in Australia, as he is in Britain.

Chris Ship is always as cynical as all hell. And extraordinary that ITV (the network that employs him) are going all out in their coverage if, as you predict, there will only be the equivalent of two men and a dog watching this wedding.

And, as we've seen with various election polls, what people say they are going to do and what they actually do (as has been pointed out in the above post) are two different things.

Last edited:
At what time English time, will this wedding take place ???? I don't know where to find this info ! Thanks in advance !

At what time English time, will this wedding take place ???? I don't know where to find this info ! Thanks in advance !

I think the actual time of the ceremony will be 12:00PM UK time, which should be the same if you are watching from Belgium, I think or maybe Belgium is one hour ahead.

Lots of people will watch, lots won't. Who cares? Will and Kate's wedding was a national holiday, correct? I'll tune in for at least some of it, but only because it's on early and my Saturday commitments are later in the day. Saturday at noon is hard for a lot of people.

I personally did not watch W&K in real time. I'll bet more people here in the US will watch M&H simply because she's American and quite a few people would have seen her on her TV show.

Nor will the fact that the wedding isn't on a holiday. It needed to be on a holiday for William and Kate as they married on a weekday. Yes, there are people who work weekends. But they are a lot less then those who work on the weekdays. Besides the networks are also considering foreign viewers, especially Americans. And a british bank holiday wouldn't affect them.

It only 'needed to be a holiday' because they wanted it that way. The thought was that a long weekend (wedding on Friday, bank holiday on Monday) would be appreciated by the people and add to the festive atmosphere they hoped to create for the wedding of the future king and queen.

I wanted to stay out of the poll debate, however, something we have to take into consideration is "who says they will tune in" vs. "who actually tunes in". For example, about 53% of Britons said they were going to watch the royal wedding in 2011 according to Reuters and BBC. However, only about 40% actually tuned in.

Here are the numbers: According to BBC, 24.5 million Brits watched the wedding in 2011, compared to 33.5 million that was expected to tune in based on poll numbers.
All this is to say, let's wait until after the wedding before we start to "rejoice" that Brits didn't tune into Harry and Meghan's wedding. Maybe less people will tune in, or maybe more will.

The problem is the # of people polled vs the actual population.

While 53% of people polled said they would watch the royal wedding, not the entire population of the UK would have participated in the poll. It may have been 90% of the people who took the poll actually ended up watching, as we have no idea how many people in the UK actually participated. That is what I was getting at, when saying the polls don't really reflect how popular the wedding will be for watching.

The two Litt girls are five and seven.
The Mulroney boys are eight.

So they could really go in pairs, the ages are close enough.
Not saying they will, but they could.

I kept reading they are 5 but it seems they are actually 8 and 6. Ryland and Remi.

Yes, if they went with 8, the gender pairs would match up. Except Charlotte who at 3 is younger then all the others. Her brother would be the closest in age to Charlotte.

Ivy and George- 5
Remi Litt and Jasper Dyer- 6
Ryland Litt and Brian/John Mulroney-8

That leaves who do we pair Charlotte with. If they did pairs, perhaps not all 3 Mulroney kids would be used. Harry has six godchildren we are told. Perhaps one of them is a boy of a better age range.

Either:
Charlotte and George- 3 and 5
Ivy and Japer- 5 and 6
Remi Lit and Brian Mulroney- 6 and 8
Rylan Lit and John Mulroney- 8

Or they find someone more age appropriate like Charlie Meade. Not sure how old Charlie is, but he looks around Mia's age. Charlie's dad and Uncle are both friends of Harry and William, as well as Zara.

Charlotte and Charlie: 3/4
Ivy and George: 5
Remi and Jasper: 6
Rylan and Mulroney boy: 8

The second option would likely work much better appearance wise.

But I still have a feeling we will see 4 bridesmaids, 2 page boys. With Ivy, Remy, Rylan and Charlotte for girls, and Jasper and George for boys.

It only 'needed to be a holiday' because they wanted it that way. The thought was that a long weekend (wedding on Friday, bank holiday on Monday) would be appreciated by the people and add to the festive atmosphere they hoped to create for the wedding of the future king and queen.

It needed to be a holiday because a wedding of that magnitude, on a weekday/workday in the middle of London was not practical. It could have been on the weekend, or on an actual bank holiday.

And many people didn't appreciate it. There was backlash about the cost on businesses, imposing another bank holiday on them on that weekend. That it did the opposite.

Last edited:
Looky what I found!!!:lol::lol: Buried deep on the royal website under Royal Wedding Traditions, there is a topic "Wedding rings of Welsh gold"!! It would appear that this is confirmation that Prince Harry WILL wear a wedding ring!!!

https://www.royal.uk/royal-wedding-traditions
Details of Prince Harry and Ms. Markle's wedding rings will be released on their wedding day.

I can't believe I found this information first!!!!!:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Countessmeout said:
The problem is the # of people polled vs the actual population.

While 53% of people polled said they would watch the royal wedding, not the entire population of the UK would have participated in the poll. It may have been 90% of the people who took the poll actually ended up watching, as we have no idea how many people in the UK actually participated. That is what I was getting at, when saying the polls don't really reflect how popular the wedding will be for watching.

That's not how statistics works though. You can't poll everyone in a nation of 63.5 million at the time of the wedding. What they probably did was have a random sampling of about 1 million which would be be enough, and then calculate for a random sampling error of about 2%. In any fashion, the numbers were way off 2% of the confidence interval, which meant in the end the poll numbers were off by almost 10 million people. Statistics is tricky, but math never lies, which means that some who were polled that said they would watch probably didn't watch or watched at a later time or online. We can't account for that huge error in the numbers.

As far as I am concerned, this will be the last BIG royal wedding in Europe for quite some time that attracts this type of MASSIVE media attention and I will be enjoying all of it next week.

Looky what I found!!!:lol::lol: Buried deep on the royal website under Royal Wedding Traditions, there is a topic "Wedding rings of Welsh gold"!! It would appear that this is confirmation that Prince Harry WILL wear a wedding ring!!!

https://www.royal.uk/royal-wedding-traditions

I can't believe I found this information first!!!!!:lol::lol:

Nice find. I read all the other traditions, and it seems that most all of them date back to Queen Victoria.

It makes sense to me that Harry would wear one two. Especially because his bride is from a tradition where husbands wear a wedding ring as well.

I know some people, ahem, will be looking for any sign that people hate Harry and/or Meghan and are saying their prayers no one watches or show up. That could happen! It could be a dud. I do think not having a bank holiday takes some of the interest/excitement out though.

But, all I know is that am personally looking forward to this and having lots of my buddies over to watch. I also know my colleagues and friends in the UK are excited.

Most British people do not give two figs about the BRF, no matter how close or far they are to the throne.

I know some people, ahem, will be looking for any sign that people hate Harry and/or Meghan and are saying their prayers no one watches or show up. That could happen! It could be a dud. I do think not having a bank holiday takes some of the interest/excitement out though.

But, I know I am looking forward to this and having lots of my buddies over to watch. I also know my colleagues and friends in the UK are excited. Most British people do not give two figs about the BRF, no matter how close or far they are to the throne.

One of my colleagues is British and jealous that I'm throwing a party and he isn't, lol. He said he and his wife are watching though - I passed by his computer and he had all of this royal wedding stuff up. It was hilarious.

Another ex-pat who married my bestie's brother is celebrating at the British Embassy (she did a lot of work with Parliament and other officials before she married and moved to the US). I'm mad because she can only stay for part of my party, lol!

I will be very curious to find out after the wedding what the viewership was like from the US.

All I know is that it doesn't matter if 100 people tune in to watch this wedding or 3,000,000 people tune in to this wedding. For two people, there will be only each other in that chapel and that is Harry and Meghan. The opportunity to watch is given to us should we choose to see this wedding.

Watching this wedding is like having a flush toilet in your home. You know its there. If you want or need to use it, its totally up to you. Sometimes the importance of that room is more important than others and sometimes you spend more time in there than at other times. Fact is, 100% of the population will use it daily. :D

I'm wondering. Did they do a poll to see how many of the population will be watching the "big game" later that day?

The problem is the v of people polled vs the actual population.
That is only an issue if the sample is not representative. You don't need to poll everyone.

It needed to be a holiday because a wedding of that magnitude, on a weekday/workday in the middle of London was not practical. It could have been on the weekend, or on an actual bank holiday.

And many people didn't appreciate it. There was backlash about the cost on businesses, imposing another bank holiday on them on that weekend. That it did the opposite.

Yes, that makes sense. My first interpretation was that you said that William and Catherine picked a date that happened to be on a Friday, so a holiday needed to be declared. However, of course the date was picked with the idea of a bank holiday in mind. If not, that had not been seen as desirable they most likely would have married a day later. Whether people appreciated the choice that was made is a different matter but it surely wasn't an after thought - just like the decision for Harry to get married on a Saturday is on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom