Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously all this over a wedding cake. Pages and pages over a cake
Not surprised to see that royal watchers are happily spending hours discussing the cake, invitations, number of attendants etc...;) IMO this is part of what make this forum a special place.

Not surprised to see that royal watchers are happily spending hours discussing the cake, invitations, number of attendants etc...;) IMO this is part of what make this forum a special place.

I get the excitement over discussing what the dress will look like or possible flowers.....trust me I spend enough time doing so myself ?

What I don't get is the whole scandal it seems to have caused, that they are having lemon cake. I mean posts being deleted over a cake??? I missed what got deleted, but sounds like it wasn't exactly the fun spirited wedding conversation that makes this site special as you put it. Based on what didn't get deleted, and some were spirited, I can only imagine what I missed while at work.

Should I get out the popcorn, or maybe the online blood shield, for when the menu is leaked :lol:

At this point I don't think there is anything MM can do that won't be called out by the press. When she honored the Queens tradition by being confirmed and baptized her motives where torn apart and questioned, when she sings the national anthem a reporter noted that she was a minute late joining in. When she makes a personal choice at the private reception she is called out for not honoring traditions even though Sophie and Edward made similar wedding cake choices. At this point I hope Meghan realizes that when you can't win it is best to chuck it all and be your own self!!

Exactly.

I personally think, that Meghan has found a good balance in respecting traditions, which imho wedding cake isn't, and bringing her own personal touch into her new life.

At this point I don't think there is anything MM can do that won't be called out by the press. When she honored the Queens tradition by being confirmed and baptized her motives where torn apart and questioned, when she sings the national anthem a reporter noted that she was a minute late joining in. When she makes a personal choice at the private reception she is called out for not honoring traditions even though Sophie and Edward made similar wedding cake choices. At this point I hope Meghan realizes that when you can't win it is best to chuck it all and be your own self!!
No kidding. Just do you Meghan. Be happy. They judging you regardless.
Sorry AlowVera, I must have been doing a quick catchup and missed the import of your post. I know there were people from our forum and the media that didn't believe her reasons for being baptised and confirmed, but there were more who either did or felt it was not their business and to me, the AoC made the call.

As to a reporter noting her lateness joining in the National Anthem, surprisingly, nobody else really commented. It is my opinion that when the organist began the introduction, she was getting all set and then had a "My Country Tis Of Thee" choke because she sang that growing up and they pinched the music from God Save the Queen.

As to the cake, well it's something that affects everyone because they all get a slice. But it is their choice and it could be worse . . . my niece's husband wanted chocolate mud cake and that's what it looked like, mud and the taste was not a winner.

Ultimately this is a private wedding paid for by the groom's family and yes we know that security will cost several million. The upside is, the economy is also set to get a billion plus boost from it.

Last edited:
Sorry AlowVera, I must have been doing a quick catchup and missed the import of your post. I know there were people from our forum and the media that didn't believe her reasons for being baptised and confirmed, but there were more who either did or felt it was not their business and to me, the AoC made the call.

As to a reporter noting her lateness joining in the National Anthem, surprisingly, nobody else really commented. It is my opinion that when the organist began the introduction, she was getting all set and then had a "B]My Country Tis Of Thee[/B]" choke because she sang that growing up and they pinched the music from God Save the Queen.

As to the cake, well it's something that affects everyone because they all get a slice. But it is their choice and it could be worse . . . my niece's husband wanted chocolate mud cake and that's what it looked like, mud and the taste was not a winner.

Ultimately this is a private wedding paid for by the groom's family and yes we know that security will cost several million. The upside is, the economy is also set to get a billion plus boost from it.

If you look back at the video, everyone was late on the National Anthem, lol.

Lemon cake sounds good, but I just hope the buttercream isn’t too sweet. Some buttercreams will send you to the dentist.

Last edited:
I've got a question. Has it been stated anywhere at which function of the wedding this lemon elderberry creation is going to be served at?

If things go as they did with William and Kate, there will be a reception held after the wedding in Windsor Castle and then a evening party held elsewhere. Wouldn't it make sense that there will be *two* (count them) separate wedding cakes? Or would they cart the partially eaten cake from the Windsor Castle reception over to the evening party?

It very well could be that the lemon elderberry cake is just one of the wedding cakes being made for this occasion. The traditional fruitcake may have the prime spot of honor at the castle reception and the more untraditional cake at the evening party.

Checking the official announcement that Ish posted in the official wedding information thread, it states:

Kensington Palace has announced that pastry chef Claire Ptak will create a lemon elderflower cake, covered with buttercream and decorated with fresh flowers.

It was announced that Clair Ptak is creating *a* cake and not *the* wedding cake. Perhaps we're reading things between the lines that just isn't there? (BTW: the link to the Twitter announcement from Kensington Palace is no longer in existence).

Just thoughts

Last edited:
I find the more commercial buttercreams are too sweet. However, a homemade or artisinal can be delightful. I'm personally very fond of flavouring mine with cardamom, over a champagne sponge with a layer of pomegranate compote. So yummy.

I personally love dark fruitcake but have no use for light fruitcake. I think one of the most entertaining changes I've seen here in Canada in wedding cakes is that as people started more and more to actually have a non-fruitcake cake (whether it be chocolate or lemon or what have you), a cottage industry in fruit-cake wedding favours grew up.

You'd go to a wedding and eat the wedding cake. Then there'd be a basket of pre-cut-and-wrapped pieces of fruitcake wrapped in plastic wrap and a paper doily. (See this picture here: http://www.jessicazaisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/jones.jpg - exactly like that).

I think they're falling out of favour, though.

:previous: You may have just hit on the obvious answer, in fact it makes some sort of sense. Then again, both receptions may have it, but knowing Harry, instead of a grooms cake he may have an "Olds" cake in traditional wedding fruitcake. :D

Great publicity for Claire Ptak because her IG followers have jumped insanely in the past few hours and a bunch of celebrities started following her. I wonder how busy her next few weeks about to be on top of making this cake. Glad a small business owner is benefiting from this.

I've got a question. Has it been stated anywhere at which function of the wedding this lemon elderberry creation is going to be served at?

If things go as they did with William and Kate, there will be a reception held after the wedding in Windsor Castle and then a evening party held elsewhere. Wouldn't it make sense that there will be *two* (count them) separate wedding cakes? Or would they cart the partially eaten cake from the Windsor Castle reception over to the evening party?

It very well could be that the lemon elderberry cake is just one of the wedding cakes being made for this occasion. The traditional fruitcake may have the prime spot of honor at the castle reception and the more untraditional cake at the evening party.

Checking the official announcement that Ish posted in the official wedding information thread, it states:

Kensington Palace has announced that pastry chef Claire Ptak will create a lemon elderflower cake, covered with buttercream and decorated with fresh flowers.

It was announced that Clair Ptak is creating *a* cake and not *the* wedding cake. Perhaps we're reading things between the lines that just isn't there? (BTW: the link to the Twitter announcement from Kensington Palace is no longer in existence).

Just thoughts

If done like Will and Kate, according to what I read, both cakes if there are two, will be served at the day time reception. There was dessert served at the evening event held by Charles, but more a plated dessert then cake.

The queen did canapes and such for the afternoon reception, and cakes

https://www.thespruce.com/royal-wedding-menu-1665885

Charles had a cocktail hour, and then the more formal sit down dinner.

In keeping with the couple’s “organic and local” theme from the flowers and plants in Westminster Abbey to the canapes served at the lunch-time reception, guests at dinner were treated to a menu of British-food created by the leading chef Anton Mosimann, owner of the Mosimann’s private dining club in Belgravia where Prince William and his bride are regulars.
Dinner began with a starter of dressed crab from Wales, accompanied with mini crab timbale (mousse), crayfish and prawns, described by one guest as “exquisitely delicious”.
A main course of lamb fillet from Highgrove “done three ways” followed, before guests were treated to a trio of mini-puddings of trifle, chocolate fondant and homemade ice-cream in brandy-snap baskets.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...-Williams-extraordinary-palace-reception.html

We will have to wait and see if a 'grooms cake' is announced, like William's.

I find the more commercial buttercreams are too sweet. However, a homemade or artisinal can be delightful. I'm personally very fond of flavouring mine with cardamom, over a champagne sponge with a layer of pomegranate compote. So yummy.

I personally love dark fruitcake but have no use for light fruitcake. I think one of the most entertaining changes I've seen here in Canada in wedding cakes is that as people started more and more to actually have a non-fruitcake cake (whether it be chocolate or lemon or what have you), a cottage industry in fruit-cake wedding favours grew up.

You'd go to a wedding and eat the wedding cake. Then there'd be a basket of pre-cut-and-wrapped pieces of fruitcake wrapped in plastic wrap and a paper doily. (See this picture here: http://www.jessicazaisblog.com/wp-co...1/08/jones.jpg - exactly like that).

I think they're falling out of favour, though.

Wow never heard of a Canadian bride using fruit cake. I always thought most Canadians had the same association of door stoppers, as Americans do. Guess maybe its an eastern Canada thing???

Definitely would be shocked if ever went to a wedding in western Canada with fruit cake. Even back when my parents got married, in the 70's, it would have been vanilla cake. Its becoming popular here to have alternative cakes, like cupcakes or such. Or have a cake table instead of one wedding cake.

If I ever got married would do a cake table. I hate actual cake (don't like the bread texture). I would want cheesecakes and you cant stack and would never put fondant on them.

Last edited:

Just thoughts

The cake will be the main dessert for the wedding. Just like the Cambridge’s. Harry might choose to have to a grooms cake. Although I think that would’ve been announced as well. We all knew that William was going to have husband favorite Chocolate Biscuit Cake made for the wedding. I think that was announced too.

The cake will be the main dessert for the wedding. Just like the Cambridge’s. Harry might choose to have to a grooms cake. Although I think that would’ve been announced as well. We all knew that William was going to have husband favorite Chocolate Biscuit Cake made for the wedding. I think that was announced too.

Which part of the wedding though? The reception at Windsor Castle or the evening party? :D

Which part of the wedding though? The reception at Windsor Castle or the evening party? :D

As I mentioned in my response to you, if they follow William and Kate's lead, the cake/s will be served at the afternoon reception. Will and Kate had finger food and cake with the queen. Later in the evening after cocktails, there was a sit down dinner with a plated dessert, hosted by Charles.

Good grief, some people simply cannot accept even the slightest non-glowing comment about this couple.

Expectations on Meghan are different than with Kate or Sophie. Kate has the whole future Queen pressure but Meghan is a foreigner and that changes things whether we like it or not. Eagle eyes will be watching for any 'Americanisation' of the royal family by a section of the press and the population to oppose it. Fair or not, Meghan is going to spend the next few decades trying to convince people that she feels truly British. The same thing happens in other royal families, see the late Henrik in Denmark for example.

Edward and Sophie can flout tradition at their wedding and no one will peep. Not the case for Harry and Meghan. That's probably not really fair but then, as the recipients through their lifetimes of many millions of taxpayer subsidy, they should just smile and get on with it IMO.

I also think the idea that this wedding will make 'a billion dollars' for the British economy extremely hard to believe.

Good grief, some can't let Meghan and Harry choose their own wedding cake without making it into unnecessary drama. 'Diplomatic mistake'? Really?

And if there is hypocritical criticism, people will comment on it, it's just normal. If Meghan and Harry get criticized for something, then let's criticize all royals the same way.

Oh I agree. Let's all pick on the Queen for not allowing garlic in Buckingham Palace! ? Is that a "tradition" now that has to be followed? Where are the headlines "Garlic Prohibited In The UK!".

Absurdity actually is fun. :D

I wonder how [exactly] a Sponge cake covered in Buttercream can serve a large number of of people, and be ONE 'Wedding Cake'?
It is far too insubstantial to be 'tiered', so either it must be yards wide, or there will have to be lots of smaller cakes ?

One of the lovely things about having ONE cake at a Wedding is that the Bride & Groom make the first 'cut' together, and then the cake is cut up and distributed amongst the guests. Thus each person present is PART of that joint action, and ritual of UNITY.

Also [traditionally] pieces of that ONE cake are sent [in little boxes] to friends/family who [for whatever reason] were unable to be present 'on the day'... thus becoming a participant in that same unity..

Perhaps Samantha and other UNWELCOME 'Markles' will get a lump of mouldy, rancid Sponge cake through the post WEEKS later ?

Last edited:
I wonder how [exactly] a Sponge cake covered in Buttercream can serve a large number of of people, and be ONE 'Wedding Cake'?
It is far too insubstantial to be 'tiered', so either it must be yards wide, or there will have so be lots of smaller cakes ?

One of the lovely things about having ONE cake at a Wedding is that the Bride & Groom make the first 'cut' together, and then the cake is cut up and distributed amongst the guests. Thus each person present is PART of that joint action, and ritual of UNITY.

Also [traditionally] pieces of that ONE cake are sent [in little boxes] to friends/family who [for whatever reason] were unable to be present 'on the day'... thus becoming a participant in that same unity..

Perhaps Samantha and other UNWELCOME 'Markles' will get a lump of mouldy, rancid Sponge cake through the post WEEKS later ?

Sponge cake can and is in fact used for wedding cakes. Once you slice and fill it with the filling (curd, jam or buttercream) and build each tier. And than use supporters (little plastic straws or big and long if you want the tiers not touching) to separate each tiers.

Another thing that is very common in large weddings is fake cake. Meaning one tier would be real for the couple to slice (usually the bottom one) and the rest would be fake covered in fondant or buttercream (fondant is more common for this). Than the real cake is made in large pans, slightly decorated (very basically to look similar to the cake) and precut in the kitchen so it’s ready to serve.
Saves money to the bride and groom, since the fake cake usually uses fake decorations or any ones the baker has left from past wedding. And time since sheet pan cakes are much easier to make and cut than a whole wedding cake, and you can do more than one flavor to please different guests and their personal taste or allergies/dietary restrictions.

The multi flavor cake has become common and can combin modern and traditional cake flavors ( i’m surprised they aren’t doing). Doing each tier a different flavor, with the top tier made of whatever flavor the couple likes.
That being said it can be a pain in the ass to the baker, lol.

Last edited:
It is far too insubstantial to be 'tiered', so either it must be yards wide, or there will have to be lots of smaller cakes ?

All over the US every day 'sponge' (we don't call it sponge here but I know what you mean) cakes are tiered into amazing heights...you can google to see pics or I can link you some if you like. They use invisible supports or in some cases they use decorative (in the theme of the wedding) supports.

The bride and groom still cut the cake together here. It's no different to cut a sponge than any other bridal cake. Then it is distributed among the guests to eat.

There is no tradition here of guests keeping the cake. You eat it at the wedding, if you take some home (not really done much here) it's eaten within a couple days.

The top tier of the cake is reserved for the bride/groom. It is carefully wrapped and frozen. They either eat it at their first anniversary (as my husband and I did) or some couples eat it at the birth of their first child (more rare IMO).

LaRae

Having two cakes makes no difference in how the main white cake is cut. Bride and groom cut that cake together. At least at the weddings I’ve been at.

All over the US every day 'sponge' (we don't call it sponge here but I know what you mean) cakes are tiered into amazing heights...you can google to see pics or I can link you some if you like. They use invisible supports or in some cases they use decorative (in the theme of the wedding) supports.

The bride and groom still cut the cake together here. It's no different to cut a sponge than any other bridal cake. Then it is distributed among the guests to eat.

There is no tradition here of guests keeping the cake. You eat it at the wedding, if you take some home (not really done much here) it's eaten within a couple days.

The top tier of the cake is reserved for the bride/groom. It is carefully wrapped and frozen. They either eat it at their first anniversary (as my husband and I did) or some couples eat it at the birth of their first child (more rare IMO).

LaRae

I can tell you after all the weddings I’ve been to; cake is eaten at the wedding or taken home to eat later. After that, what’s not eaten is thrown in the garbage. I think this is what will happen to the royal wedding cake too.

Growing up, there was a tradition that an unmarried girl/woman would take a piece of wedding cake home and put in under her pillow to dream of the man she was going to marry. That was eons ago though and I've not heard many speak of this little ritual lately at all.

I like to think well of people, barring any evidence to the contrary. So, I would hope that the British tax payers or whoever would have the decency to say that since so much will likely be done their way (at least so much of what the public actually sees) at the wedding, that they won't begrudge the couple making one choice that may not be exactly how they would want it. Granted, I don't know any British people personally, but I like to think in general they have the smallest amount of kindness. Which is all it would take to be okay with a bride and groom choosing what kind of cake they want.

And just to be clear, I don't mind people voicing personal disappointment or whatever over them not having a fruitcake. People are giving their personal opinions on everything. Just wait until we see the dress. But, there's a big difference between someone saying "I wish they had gone with the traditional fruitcake" or even "yuck, that cake sounds disgusting" (not saying anyone's said that) and "Meghan and Harry have made a terrible faux pas against the British people". (paraphrasing) Do people really care that much? Even taking into account the tax dollars?

Granted, I've never had to pay for security for a royal family or the other expenses you do. But, my tax dollars do pay a little for food for other people. And I would never have an issue with someone choosing what they want to eat just because of money.

Buttercream and sponge cake can be tiered if done right. HIGHLY doubt it's going to be a simple one tier. For awhile, buttercream was going out of style, but it's definitely made a comeback at weddings in US. As for guests that aren't there. Can't speak for Meghan, but if I'm can't be bothered to invite you to my wedding, I'm certainly not going to bother sending you a piece of cake. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to think well of people, barring any evidence to the contrary. So, I would hope that the British tax payers or whoever would have the decency to say that since so much will likely be done their way (at least so much of what the public actually sees) at the wedding, that they won't begrudge the couple making one choice that may not be exactly how they would want it. Granted, I don't know any British people personally, but I like to think in general they have the smallest amount of kindness. Which is all it would take to be okay with a bride and groom choosing what kind of cake they want.

And just to be clear, I don't mind people voicing personal disappointment or whatever over them not having a fruitcake. People are giving their personal opinions on everything. Just wait until we see the dress. But, there's a big difference between someone saying "I wish they had gone with the traditional fruitcake" or even "yuck, that cake sounds disgusting" (not saying anyone's said that) and "Meghan and Harry have made a terrible faux pas against the British people". (paraphrasing) Do people really care that much? Even taking into account the tax dollars?

Granted, I've never had to pay for security for a royal family or the other expenses you do. But, my tax dollars do pay a little for food for other people. And I would never have an issue with someone choosing what they want to eat just because of money.

The wedding is estimated to bring in over 1 billion dollars revenue. The cost of protecting the BRF for the wedding etc is way way less (under 30 million). The BRF are paying for the wedding privately.

LaRae

The cake is being served during the private portion of the wedding festivities. The behind-closed-doors, very few pictures being released and then only afterwards part. As long as the cake looks traditional, it makes sense to me that the BRF powers-that-be would give the go-ahead to Harry and Meghan to do whatever the heck they want in terms of the kind of cake, traditional or not.

And guys, even if it's his nation's tradition, it may be Harry who doesn't care for fruitcake. He may even be creeped out by the idea that slices of his cake could show up at auction decades later (I would find that reason enough to avoid the fruitcake, even if I liked the tradition or the flavor).

They could easily have the top tier be a fruitcake and the rest sponge. Problem solved. Cakegate is solved!!

Harry's groom cake could be fruit cake too....

LaRae

I remember William's chocolate biscuit cake. They had the palace chefs gave the recipe for , and then contracted out for the decorations and actually make it.
https://web.archive.org/web/2011033...11/March/29/Gallery---The-Royal-Wedding-Cakes

Prince William and Miss Catherine Middleton have chosen Leicestershire-based cake designer Fiona Cairns to create their wedding cake.

In addition, the couple have also asked McVitie's Cake Company to create a chocolate biscuit cake for the reception at Buckingham Palace. The chocolate biscuit cake will be made from a Royal Family recipe and was specially requested by Prince William.

No mention of a fruitcake. :D

If I where KP I would release another announcement:

In the interest of our continued well being and mental fitness we hear your cries. The groom will have a traditional fruitcake created in the shape of a rugby ball. It is our hope that the masses will be comforted by a cake that they will not eat.

#cakegate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom