Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussion about Meghan's baptism has been moved to the Citizenship and Religious Conversion thread.

Companies are starting with the wedding gifts. Hidden Valley Ranch, the salad dressing, is giving a $35,000 bottle of ranch dressing to Harry and Meghan as a wedding gift (with a giveaway for a lucky person)

www.fox32chicago.com/news/dont-miss/hidden-valley-giving-prince-harry-and-meghan-markle-35g-bottle-of-ranch-and-you-can-win-one-too

One brewery is making an official wedding beer for the two called the Windsor Knot. It's a blend of British and American hops to make the beer. I don't know if this should be a separate thread, but to start the discussion, what companies, British and American, will present gifts to Harry and Meghan (and get publicity)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s a different twist. Alastair Bruce said in today’s Sunday Times Harry will wear a morning suit to the wedding. He said a Windsor wedding won’t have anywhere near the military pomp that William’s wedding had.

He says and I quote “I’ll buy a marzipan hat and send you a photo of me eating it if he turns out in all the military clobber”

Last edited:
:previous:Given how much the military means to Harry, that doesn't seem likely.

Another thing Bruce said is Guards and Cavalry officers don’t usually get married in their uniform. It’s considered ‘naff’ in their social circle.

The Queen will have the final word I guess. William had to wear his scarlet tunic. That was said to be non negotiable.

I would be very surprised to see Harry out of uniform. It's a big part of who he is and at least one of his charities.

Most of the men in that family marry in their uniform.

LaRae

Last edited:
Here’s a different twist. Alastair Bruce said in today’s Sunday Times Harry will wear a morning suit to the wedding. He said a Windsor wedding won’t have anywhere near the military pomp that William’s wedding had.

He says and I quote “I’ll buy a marzipan hat and send you a photo of me eating it if he turns out in all the military clobber”

And other royal reporters are saying the opposite. In fact one just took on a friendly bet against Bruce.They think he will 100% be in uniform. I personally think he will also be in uniform especially since he just took over for DoE.

While the wedding may not have the pomp of a WA wedding, it is still a royal wedding. I would be shocked if Harry didn't wear his uniform. The military was such a key part of his life.

I think Bruce is likely just looking at the only two senior royal weddings at St George's so far and that is unfair. Edward never served in the army. And Charles it was a low key second wedding. Neither are comparable.

Heck as low key as Anne and Tim's wedding was, he wore his naval uniform.

As for the guards and calvary don't wear their uniform-well if he wears his most senior uniform as William did, that would be his royal marines uniform.

Last edited:
IIRC Edward attempted to serve but left before finishing...just to clarify :)

LaRae

IIRC Edward attempted to serve but left before finishing...just to clarify :)

LaRae

Yes he followed royal tradition of joining military service, but lasted 4 months before he dropped out as he found it too gruelling. Sorry but I don't consider surviving three months of training as service. It is one thing when he attends military events and wears his uniforms from his honorary positions.

That's why I used the words 'attempted to serve'. Not actual service.

LaRae

I would put almost any amount of money down that he will be in his Blues.

LaRae

If Harry wears a uniform it would be the one for the Royal Marines since he was just appointed Captain General.

I also think he'll wear his Captain General's uniform of the Royal Marines. That splash of red in the uniform will definitely make him stand out.

As for a morning suit? I think we'll have better chances of seeing Harry in a wedding dress before a morning suit. It'll definitely be a military uniform seeing as how big a part of his life the military was and still is. :D

Besides, the splash of red will look so good standing next to William who will probably wear his Irish Guards uniform that doesn't have the red tunic. Until today, I didn't realize that William had two uniforms for the Irish Guards.

http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/04/duke-duchess-of-cambridges-wedding.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=pri...4#imgdii=8FuJrZSVaNuEuM:&imgrc=5mrr-Ll9xzdy2M:

Last edited:
I wonder if The Queen will give him a Knighthood leading up to the wedding?

I think his creation as Garter Knight will be reserved until his Father is King, 'the Thistle' is a distinct possibility..

I don't think any more knighthoods will be bestowed on Harry until after his father becomes King. As it stands now, Harry already has a knighthood from the Queen. He was knighted as Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order in June, 2015.

I think his creation as Garter Knight will be reserved until his Father is King, 'the Thistle' is a distinct possibility..

I think he will be promoted first to Grand Cross of the RVO.

Those are the dark navy Blue IIRC.

Mainly blue. But it does have a red collar and red on the hat as well.

Here is Prince Philip in it.

I don't know if William will wear his red Irish guards uniform. He may not want to stand out so much as a supporter. Unlike his own wedding, he wont have been newly appointed, and the focus will not be on him so there isn't such a need for him to wear his most senior.

Last edited:
I don't know if William will wear his red Irish guards uniform. He may not want to stand out so much as a supporter. Unlike his own wedding, he wont have been newly appointed, and the focus will not be on him so there isn't such a need for him to wear his most senior.

That's why I'm putting my bets on his other Irish Guards uniform. I've posted pictures of it in a previous post.

Another thing Bruce said is Guards and Cavalry officers don’t usually get married in their uniform. It’s considered ‘naff’ in their social circle.

The Queen will have the final word I guess. William had to wear his scarlet tunic. That was said to be non negotiable.

Most of them haven't been given an honorary position by their grandmother the queen either... :whistling:

I would be hugely surprised if he doesn't show up in uniform.

And other royal reporters are saying the opposite. In fact one just took on a friendly bet against Bruce.They think he will 100% be in uniform. I personally think he will also be in uniform especially since he just took over for DoE.

But he was photographed attending the Mountbatten Royal Marine Concert in a dinner jacket! I am expecting the unexpected on May 19:flowers::lol:

i assume we are likely to see foreign royalty? maybe not as much as in william's wedding but certainly a fair few? i would have liked to compare it with charles and camilla's wedding, but this does not seem comparable - or maybe it is? charles is the heir but this was his second wedding. harry is not the heir but it is his (first) wedding.

edward and sophie's wedding didn't drag a lot of royalty:
Other royal guests
The Sultan of Brunei[8]
Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes[8]
The Prince of Asturias[10]
Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark[10]

a lot more representation for andrew's wedding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weddi...ah_Ferguson#Members_of_foreign_royal_families

some foreign royalty, but not a lot at charles and camilla's wedding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weddi...es,_and_Camilla_Parker_Bowles#Foreign_royalty

which case is harry's wedding most similar to?

That's why I'm putting my bets on his other Irish Guards uniform. I've posted pictures of it in a previous post.

The issue is that is the dress coat, not the formal tunic of the Irish guards. I am not sure we would see William wearing that for an indoor event. I could be wrong. But normally they would wear a tunic, and that would be the red.

i assume we are likely to see foreign royalty? maybe not as much as in william's wedding but certainly a fair few? i would have liked to compare it with charles and camilla's wedding, but this does not seem comparable - or maybe it is? charles is the heir but this was his second wedding. harry is not the heir but it is his (first) wedding.

edward and sophie's wedding didn't drag a lot of royalty:
Other royal guests
The Sultan of Brunei[8]
Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes[8]
The Prince of Asturias[10]
Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark[10]

a lot more representation for andrew's wedding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weddin...royal_families

some foreign royalty, but not a lot at charles and camilla's wedding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weddin...oreign_royalty

which case is harry's wedding most similar to?

He is similar to both his father and Edward's. The foreign royals who were at both were there as more personal guests then as 'foreign royals' (aka kind of mandatory invitations to bigger weddings like William). Edward because of attending many of the events on the continent, has built relationships with the other royals. He often attends events in Brunei for the queen as well.

Andrew's wedding is more reflective of being married in the 1980's, when the occasions were bigger events.

I'd expect some foreign royals but not a huge amount:

- a good showing of the Greek royals- they are close to the BRF (even maybe just the younger ones)
-Prince Seeiso and his wife for sure
-Prince Franz Albrecht and his wife-Harry's hunting partner, he attended their wedding
-maybe a few of the German relations

Last edited:
I'm wondering if he will be appointed as a Royal Colonel before the wedding. (William was made Colonel two months before he married Catherine.) There was some discussion 2 years back that he would be appointed as the Colonel of the Life Guards, but those stories also said it would happen in the next 18 months. Obviously that didn't happen.

However, Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank does turn 80 this year and may soon want to retire. FWIW, Lord Guthrie wears a breastplate during Trooping, which has to be heavy. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._the_Colour,_senior_offices.JPG?1520791657167

Lord Mountbatten, when he was Colonel, did not. The uniform is pretty snazzy, though -- I love those cuffs. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Earl_Mountbatten_of_Burma_33_Allan_Warren.jpg

I'm wondering if he will be appointed as a Royal Colonel before the wedding. (William was made Colonel two months before he married Catherine.) There was some discussion 2 years back that he would be appointed as the Colonel of the Life Guards, but those stories also said it would happen in the next 18 months. Obviously that didn't happen.

However, Lord Guthrie of Craigiebank does turn 80 this year and may soon want to retire. FWIW, Lord Guthrie wears a breastplate during Trooping, which has to be heavy. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe..._the_Colour,_senior_offices.JPG?1520791657167

Lord Mountbatten, when he was Colonel, did not. The uniform is pretty snazzy, though -- I love those cuffs. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...Earl_Mountbatten_of_Burma_33_Allan_Warren.jpg

He already has been. He was appointed captain general of the royal marines. The marines don't have a colonel in chief, captain general is the equivalent of that for the marines.

If the queen for some reason chose to give him a second in less then a year, there is no need for anyone to retire. There is a vacant one. The Scottish and Northern Irish Yeomanry still has not been appointed one. Prince Philip has a few other ones that he still holds, that may be reassigned over the next years as well.

He already has been. He was appointed captain general of the royal marines. The marines don't have a colonel in chief, captain general is the equivalent of that for the marines.

If the queen for some reason chose to give him a second in less then a year, there is no need for anyone to retire. There is a vacant one. The Scottish and Northern Irish Yeomanry still has not been appointed one. Prince Philip has a few other ones that he still holds, that may be reassigned over the next years as well.

I do not believe that the Royal Marines are part of the Household Division, which is the group involved with Trooping the Colour. Neither are the Scottish and Northern Irish Yeomanry.

I'm wondering specifically about an appointment that will give him a red dress uniform and put him on a horse during Trooping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom