Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Trump is not a personal friend of the bride or groom, even if he is the President of the USA. So it is only logical that the bridal couple will not invite him or his wife. However, if they count a past or present politician among their friends, they will invite them.

Now if the government tries to put pressure on the BRF to accommodate their political agenda, they can start picking up the tab for the enlarged wedding. If it's private the BRF pays, if it's semi-state like William's, the state can pay for their share.

Frome an outtake from Piers Morgan's interview with Trump, the wedding came up. Trump wished happiness for both of them and he doesn't know about an invitation. Piers reminded Trump of Meghan's criticism of him, and he still wished them happiness. Given what is known about Trump I believe he wants the invitation and the state visit. Going after Meghan, future princess of the United Kingdom, could blow both things out of the water...or he's afraid it will.

I don't think Piers asked Trump about what he said about Diana. ?

I was just coming her to post about that interview. I can only conclude our dear leader was jetlagged, which accounted for his subdued response. :eek:

You call it pandering, I call it politic.

This is a special case, because Harry is marrying an American.
You do whatever is best for your country.

Yes its pandering when you are giving candy to a screaming toddler to get him to shut up. Which basically is what you suggest.

Meghan is marrying a Prince of the commonwealth. So if her president should be invited, the prime minister of Canada, Australia, NZ and the rest should be invited.

And inviting one 'trade partner' to sooth a tantrum, should stand to reckon you invite every trade partner's head of state.

The Governor Generals and PMs of several Commonwealth realms were invited to William's wedding, weren't they ? I recall that the PMs of Australia and NZ were in attendance. The Canadian PM couldn't go, but GG David Johnston attended the wedding. Will they be invited also to Harry's wedding ? I think they should be, even if it is not a state occasion.

It was a semi state occasion, so yes the heads of the commonwealth countries were invited. And the sitting prime minister of the UK. Harry's wedding is not a semi state occasion, its a private event.

If Trump is invited, then yes, the heads of the commonwealth countries should be invited. But they wont be.

Frome an outtake from Piers Morgan's interview with Trump, the wedding came up. Trump wished happiness for both of them and he doesn't know about an invitation. Piers reminded Trump of Meghan's criticism of him, and he still wished them happiness. Given what is known about Trump I believe he wants the invitation and the state visit. Going after Meghan, future princess of the United Kingdom, could blow both things out of the water...or he's afraid it will.

He just wants to meet the Queen. I doubt he cares about the wedding.

How does one describe another human being as a friend? IMHO a friend is someone who supports you through thick and thin, someone to go have a drink with like coffee, tea, beer or wine, someone who comes to your home and vise versa and has dinner, someone to shot the breeze with, someone whom everyone in your family knows and again vise versa, someone who you can call one any time of day or night to come over if needed, someone around the corner so to speak.......given all that how can anyone think of one second that either the sitting president or former president is a friend? Neither of these men seems like the type that would drop everything in their lives to run to the aid of someone who is a friend. Harry and the Obamas share one thing in common, a charity and what is a charity .......and event where like minded people get together and help support the people involved in that charity, like a business deal in a way.

Charities are a *Business* (and it is a BIG Business at that) for they need the support of high powered people and their contacts to bring in money, other high powered contacts, the media (after all the media follows the money trail), the world wide attention to support those charities. If one person regardless of their position in a former position and current position is invited because of the support of a charity then *ALL* Heads of the charities that Harry is involved with should be invited to the wedding, after all you can not have one without the other, isn't that like giving to one child and denying the other child type of situation?

That IMHO would create chaos among the charities that the entire BRF would not like to happen.......it is best if Harry and Meghan invited only close personal friends (those that can come at the drop of hat) to their wedding and leave all political and business personal out of the wedding.

Mind it is the media that is driving the people here and elsewhere as to whom has an invite or not as so far I don;t think the guest list has been made public.

Last edited by a moderator:
You bring up some good points. I'm sure Harry gets along famously with everyone he works with when it comes to his charity endeavors and to invite them all would probably take up more room than they have at St. George's chapel. As you point out, Harry's association with the Obamas was actually on the business level and not really on a personal level. We've never heard of them getting together for purely personal reasons.

I think the invitations are going to be limited to personal friends and family. Both the bride and the groom don't seem to lack for a close knit group of friends and with the families added, that's going to be plenty of enough people to fill the chapel.

I don't see either the Obamas or the Trumps or political figures of any kind (other than maybe the Prime Minister) being invited. This is a totally private wedding where business will not mix with pleasure.

Well said M Payton and Osipi. IMO Mr Obama is an acquaintance not a friend.

Certainly :flowers:

But there are likely to be 'aquintances' on the guest list. Inviting co-workers to your wedding, if having a larger wedding, is not odd even for commoners. For Harry, people he works with through his charity work, is his version of co-workers really. I would be surprised if we don't see some charity and military aquaintances there. Even after both of their families, and their actual friends, there is still room for plenty more in that chapel.

Though it is a stretch to call the Obamas friends, they certainly are more then simply aquintances. Certainly a different level then the Trumps who Harry met Melania once. An Obama invitation would not be mistaken as a 'political invite'.

I really wouldn't be surprised either way, if Obamas end up there or not.

As for filling the chapel....The Windsor family isn't that big. I know Harry and Meghan are popular but I doubt they have 600 personal friends between them, even with spouses included. The only small kids likely to be in attendance are bridal party.

I have been to a number of weddings, not royals of course and have yet to see any church filled with every seat taken. I do not think that it is necessary to have the entire church filled for Harry or anyone body who marries in this particular church. After all this is suppose to be a *private family affair* and not a state wedding.

Co-workers are just that, co-workers and they are the people who work on the job with the friend whom ever that is, they to me are not personal friends that come to say my home for dinner or to play cards or Monopoly or shot the breeze over wine or beer.......Harry has the type of personality I think where he enjoys the events and loves getting out there meeting people and helping, yet after the event it is home to peace and quiet and calm and a loved one, cooking dinner, or take out whatever the case may be..........seriously doubt if he brings co-workers home with him to have dinner or play video games. I would like to think that would be his *private time for family and very close personal friends only*, not co-workers, business people or even staff that works on all the back up work for the charities. Even royals need *private time alone* to gather their strength to take on the next event and read all the info before hand.

While the Obamas may not be close personal friends, they are not mere business acquainstances. Aquainstances don't go out of their way to meet, hang out and get involved in the others' charity work. It's clear to me that Harry and the Obamas have a warm relationship that goes beyond business and I will be surprised if the Obamas aren't at the wedding.

Last edited:
When it comes to Harry and Meghan's wedding and the invitations they want to send out. I would wager that the Obamas would be invited because Harry has had occasions to interact and work with them on several occasions and seem to have struck up a friendship. The Trumps will not be invited solely because Harry or Meghan do not even know the couple or have even met them.

Although you are correct, I tend to agree with Madame Verseau that the British government would veto an invitation to the Obamas if the Trumps are not invited. Otherwise, they risk having a diplomatic incident.

I have been to a number of weddings, not royals of course and have yet to see any church filled with every seat taken. I do not think that it is necessary to have the entire church filled for Harry or anyone body who marries in this particular church. After all this is supposed to be a *private family affair* and not a state wedding

St George's chapel is not very big and both Harry and Meghan seem to have a large number of social friends whom they would like to invite. Add to that family members and British (and maybe Commonwealth) authorities who will be invited even if it is a private wedding and I'd say I am pretty sure the church will be filled.

Last edited:
Veto an invitation to a private wedding? :lol: They may urge Harry not to invite the Obamas, but frankly, I find that ridiculous and I don't think Harry would be so keen to oblige.

The BRF can't just invite whomever they like if they expect any sort of public money etc to be involved e.g. security.

An invitation to the Obamas would have political and diplomatic ramifications as Harry would be showing clear support for a political party in a foreign country - a no-no for a member of the BRF - especially when that political party is no longer the party of the President.

It makes no difference how 'private' the event is the BRF are still controlled by the government. You and I may invite whomever we please but not the BRF. They don't have that sort of freedom. They can't say what they like, they can't invite whom they want, they can't refuse to invite and entertain someone the government says they have to entertain. The BRF have way less freedom than ordinary people - it is the trade off they make for the incredible wealth and other perks of their position.

A wedding invite is tantamount to showing clear support for a political party in a foreign country?? What?? :ermm: How is it that a wedding invitation is more controversial than Harry continuing to work with Obama even after he's left office? I'd say Harry attending the Obama Foundation event is way more political than a wedding invite (although I don't see either as particularly political).

Sorry but the idea that government would intervene on this, to basically prevent what amounts to hurt feelings, of all things, is just laughable.

:previous:Iluvbertie
Extremely well said and very true. That is the price of living in a golden cage and Harry lives in that cage just like Meghan will be doing and in fact already is experiencing that golden cage.

Isn't TRF a great teaching tool for those that really don't know the subject they are talking about, so keep on teaching Iluvberite and I will keep on learning!

A wedding invite is tantamount to showing clear support for a political party in a foreign country?? What?? :ermm: How is it that a wedding invitation is more controversial than Harry continuing to work with Obama even after he's left office? I'd say Harry attending the Obama Foundation event is way more political than a wedding invite (although I don't see either as particularly political).

Sorry but the idea that government would intervene on this, to basically prevent what amounts to hurt feelings, of all things, is just laughable.

Not sure what you mean as the wedding is a *Personal Event* while being involved in a Foundation that supports a charity is not personal, it is *business with political ties* as the anyone else in that foundation has or had political ties in the past and still does in the present.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Huh?

The point of my post is that a wedding invite doesn't necessarily have anything to do with politics. It's the business aspect that would seemingly have more political ramifications or at least, that would make for a stronger argument.

You still seem to be making a case for Obama as a business acquainstance, rather than a friend, and to me, he seems to be both.

I just don't see it myself. The times that Harry has been involved with the Obamas was basically, as M. Payton stated, for business. The Obamas were on board with Harry's IG and Harry on board with the Obama foundation. They did seem to click with each other and that's a good thing. They work together well. Business aquaintances at best.

As far as being personal friends of Harry's, I don't see it. Harry is 33. Barack is 56. I've yet to hear that the Obamas popped over the pond for a weekend or that Harry joined them on a vacation or such. I believe that if there was any chance of foreign VIPs being invited to this wedding, it most probably would then have been held at Westminster Abbey solely because the wedding would then be in London and able to be secured by the Metropolitan Police. As its in Windsor, the security, although tight, is going to be on a lesser scale than it would have been in London. Smaller venue, smaller crowds and in a more contained area.

We'll see what happens though. For all I know, they could be BFF and call each other daily on the phone. I just don't see it though.

Presidents are political figures even when they are not sitting presidents. There's no way around it.

LaRae

I fully expect the least controversial choice will be the one taken.. NO Presidents [current or ex] will be invited..
Why mess up a special day for the tawdry consideration of politicians ?

:previous:
I think the misunderstanding is that the former president with his Foundation in helping people that need it is in part his *Business* and yet he still has strong ties to the political party that elected him. He is still a man of 2 parts here, one being *Business* which is of course the Foundation and the other is *Political* as he is still involved in the *Democratic Party* therefore he should be not a close personal friend of any royal for that would make that member of the royal family look to having ties in politics of any country for that would create a diplomatic problem for the government and the royal family and being this is the BRF with close ties to the US, there is no way either country wants that to happen with the current situation of the sitting president for then both would have to be invited..........what a night mare that would turn out to be.:lol: I hope I said that right and you understand what I am trying to say here..........maybe I need sleep!

:previous:
I agree with you, the Foundation is not political yet the man is for he is still involved with the Democratic Party so therefore in a sense he is still a political figure even though he is not elected to office at the moment. He commands attention world wide for his political views and is seen on the media circus and talk shows giving his political views. It would be difficult to separate him from side of him to the other IMHO.

Even former president Clinton is a political figure as he still is involved in politics with his wife no less. Guess once they leave office and the gov it follows them wherever they go...

Jimmy Carter is still a political figure. He's been out of office for decades.

LaRae

Even after leaving office, former presidents are still addressed as President. That tells a mouthful right there. :D

Even for Charles and Diana's wedding, which was a huge, full blown state affair, President Reagan did not attend although his wife, Nancy, did. Nancy also attended Sarah and Andrew's wedding. Obama, then the sitting president of the US, was not invited to William's wedding and that was a semi-state wedding.

If he wants to invite the Obamas as friends then o see no problem with it; it is based on a personal relationship not on official work. And nobody knows what kind of relationship Harry has with them just because we see them together only when it's official business doesn't mean that's the only time they associate; we don't know these peoples lives.

If he wants to invite the Obamas as friends then o see no problem with it; it is based on a personal relationship not on official work. And nobody knows what kind of relationship Harry has with them just because we see them together only when it's official business doesn't mean that's the only time they associate; we don't know these peoples lives.

An invitation may be based solely on personal friendship but the political implications will always be there. As it seems that there has never been a US president (past or current) that has attended a British royal wedding, that leads me to believe that political inferences are being avoided and to me, that seems wise.

Harry and Meghan may choose to skirt around this issue by having just Michelle Obama attend the wedding. It seems like this was the route taken previously even for a full blown, all out state wedding.

It is being reported that Meghan will give a speech at the wedding reception in tribute to her husband, family and friends. Instead of her father who is intensely private giving a speech, Meghan will step in. I'm not familiar with royal receptions, is the Bride allowed to give a speech? It won't be televised but I would love to hear her words about Prince Harry.

I wouldn't put much stock in what the tabloids are saying is going to go on at the wedding.

LaRae

You think Harry and Meghan are telling the Sunday Times reporters their wedding details?

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom