Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Royal Norway, now we wait to see if his prediction comes true. I would like St. George’s too

I am guessing he will wear a wedding band out of respect that Meghan is American, and most men do in America.

I'm going to agree. :flowers: I think Harry would do that kind of thing, and I also think Meghan wouldn't insist, so what happens is a toss-up.

Camilla T says BP has already set up a time tomorrow to announce the time/place of the wedding. LaRae

Ah, wagering time! ;) April 20th at St George's Chapel, Windsor (though I'd wish Westminster Abbey)! 'Twill see.

I think it will be St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

But wouldn't it be fantastic with a Scottish wedding. Pre-wedding Ball att Stirling Castle, Wedding Service at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh. Harry wearing a kilt and the drums and bagpipes are playing while Meghan enters the Church and they are leaving, followed by a cortege at the Royal Mile and a post-wedding lunch at Palace of Holyrood House....Yeah i know it won't happen but it would have been great.

What a fabulous vision! :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm thinking Mia Tindall would make an adorable (if rambunctious) flower girl while Savannah and Isla Phillips would make lovely junior bridesmaids. Maybe Viscount Severn as a page boy? You could also have Robert and Rose Fellowes, the grandchildren of Baroness Fellowes, or Rosemary and Henry Hutt, the grandchildren of Lady McCorquodale. It would be a nice gesture to include some of the Spencer cousins in the bridal party.

And Meghan's side???? It seems a bit one sided. Meghan has goddaughters, and friends with children as well. And Harry has six godchildren. I think it would be nicer to see both sides of the couple represented, and not simply both sides of Harry's family.

Do you believe that some of Prince Philip's relatives from Germany will be invited?

Yes. Other then the Greek royals, and Prince Seeso, they are the only foreign royals I'd count on being there. I think we will see a handful, they come for events like the recent anniversary.

It will be interesting to see what non-related royals come. There wont be a whole bunch of royals they don't know other then the rare visit, like at Cambridge wedding.

Ah, wagering time! April 20th at St George's Chapel, Windsor (though I'd wish Westminster Abbey)! 'Twill see.

April is a Friday, and since there wont be a bank holiday, seems highly unlikely.

And the 21st is the queen's birthday so I don't see them getting married on her 92nd birthday.

But wouldn't it be fantastic with a Scottish wedding. Pre-wedding Ball att Stirling Castle, Wedding Service at St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh. Harry wearing a kilt and the drums and bagpipes are playing while Meghan enters the Church and they are leaving, followed by a cortege at the Royal Mile and a post-wedding lunch at Palace of Holyrood House....Yeah i know it won't happen but it would have been great.

Harry hasn't worn a kilt since he was little, and its traditional for royals who have served in the military to wear their uniform. The British royals also don't have a pre-wedding ball like the continental royals.

I'm putting the date as May 26th the last Saturday in May which is also the start of a 3 day weekend in America for Memorial Day.

That is my guess, has been from the start. But not because of memorial day.

No big events. Several weeks after baby Cambridge comes so no worry about the baby being late. A few weeks for a honeymoon before things like trooping and Ascot.

Last edited:
Well hopefully we will find out tomorrow (or today as it's now the 28th) where the wedding will be. The sooner the better - that way if they choose St. George's (please let them choose the Abbey) I can get over my disappointment.

I just remember how underwhelmed I was with the lack of pomp and circumstance around Edward and Sophie's wedding. The ceremony was pretty enough - I did like that - but the arrivals lacked the excitement you'd expect from a royal wedding because it's hard for the public to even get close to see them - and then the kiss on the steps lacked excitement because hardly anyone could really see it. It just paled in comparison to the balcony kisses at BP.

It's not really the Abbey venue that excites me - it's the pomp and circumstance before they even get to the Abbey. The procession through the streets with throngs of people lined up to watch, the procession in the carriage after the wedding to BP and then the balcony kiss.

St. George's just doesn't carry the same impact and excitement for me and makes royal weddings there feel very much like any wedding anyone could have in a similar church venue.

Well hopefully we will find out tomorrow (or today as it's now the 28th) where the wedding will be. The sooner the better - that way if they choose St. George's (please let them choose the Abbey) I can get over my disappointment.

I just remember how underwhelmed I was with the lack of pomp and circumstance around Edward and Sophie's wedding. The ceremony was pretty enough - I did like that - but the arrivals lacked the excitement you'd expect from a royal wedding because it's hard for the public to even get close to see them - and then the kiss on the steps lacked excitement because hardly anyone could really see it. It just paled in comparison to the balcony kisses at BP.

It's not really the Abbey venue that excites me - it's the pomp and circumstance before they even get to the Abbey. The procession through the streets with throngs of people lined up to watch, the procession in the carriage after the wedding to BP and then the balcony kiss.

St. George's just doesn't carry the same impact and excitement for me and makes royal weddings there feel very much like any wedding anyone could have in a similar church venue.

I might be in the minority here but I preferred the “underwhelming side” of Edward and Sophie’s wedding as it all felt much more personal (if you can call 500 guests small and personal), whereas with WA and even St Paul’s, they are just such huge venues that it just feels a bit too big. Yes I agree about liking the pomp and circumstance attached to a London procession but I also think that although they are royal, their wedding is personal and they should at least retain some level of intimacy if they can.

That’s just my feeling though of course. If they choose WA or St Paul’s I will be just as thrilled.

I might be in the minority here but I preferred the “underwhelming side” of Edward and Sophie’s wedding as it all felt much more personal (if you can call 500 guests small and personal), whereas with WA and even St Paul’s, they are just such huge venues that it just feels a bit too big. Yes I agree about liking the pomp and circumstance attached to a London procession but I also think that although they are royal, their wedding is personal and they should at least retain some level of intimacy if they can.

That’s just my feeling though of course. If they choose WA or St Paul’s I will be just as thrilled.

I envy you for that - you're fine either way!

Minority but definitely not alone. :flowers:

I much prefer the more intimate setting. I would love even more, like Scotland. Its not like its going to be private. There will be broadcast of the wedding. And the crowds can still line up for the wedding, just not London.

But I am happy either way. I think people get too invested in other people's weddings. As long as the couple get their choice, I am happy.

"Smiley" , yes ! I was very smiley the day i got engaged to the man I love, in fact I don't think I stopped smiling from proposal to about a week later !!!
One thing I pick up from the BBC news this morning is that President trump hasn't sent a message of congratulations !
Come on Mr President , Megan is one of your own !!

One benefit of their wedding not being a state wedding is that they won't be forced to invite him.

But they can invite the Obamas.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Guards chapel has also been mentioned by the BBC. As I have posted in another thread , I am not quite sure how many people this holds .

One benefit of their wedding not being a state wedding is that they won't be forced to invite him.

*cackles with glee*

Mmmmm, hadn't thought of that one, but then being in the U K I wouldn't.:whistling:

The Guards chapel has also been mentioned by the BBC. As I have posted in another thread , I am not quite sure how many people this holds .

Not enough. I remember it being mentioned in the old Prince Harry Future Wedding thread, and some kind soul did the research to show it isn't anywhere close to large enough for even a pared down Royal wedding.

*cackles with glee*

I'd be surprised if the Obamas were not invited. The Mulroneys should be there (well the son of the former PM and his wife), so in good company. The Trudeaus, Sophie and Meghan are said to be friends, likely as well. But all as personal invites, and not as any kind of political invitation.

The "Guards " chapel has been mentioned as a possible venue. I am not sure how big this is as I have never been there, one of the few churches in London I haven't .

The guard's chapel was mentioned on here because of Harry's military link but really has no royal link and isn't all that large.

Last edited:
Not an option then. I haven't been in the Guards chapel , so as I said was unsure of the size.

Considering events in the past, its not unusual to surmise that the Obamas will be invited to the wedding as personal friends. The same with the Trudeaus. It has absolutely nothing to do with politics but personal relationships. This isn't going to be a state wedding so for the most part, there's no political "must invites" on the list be it heads of state or foreign royalty. :D

We'd see the Obamas seated on the groom's side of the church and the Trudeaus seated on the bride's side if that's how the seating arrangement goes. Or all together in a VIP section.

Back on topic... It's been a long 7 years and my memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure that the Obamas weren't invited to W&K's wedding. And while I recall watching Andrew & Sarah's wedding, I can't remember if the Reagans were invited to that one or not (though I do recall Nancy Reagan attending Charles & Diana's wedding). And I have zero recollection of whether or not the Clintons were invited to Edward & Sophie's wedding. My point being... The likelihood of the Trumps scoring an invite to Harry & Meghan's wedding has always been slim to none and it has zero to do with how the BRF feel about Trump, his politics, or his tweets.

I have to admit , I did have my doubts about Megan and Harry's relationship. Now I don't , it is obvious to all that they are very much in love . They look "right " together, and I don't think for one minute that Harry is getting anyone of a "lower standard".
Megan will be an asset to our Royal Family , a woman who has had a career , can handle the media with confidence, has already established her humanitarian interests and work.

Back on topic... It's been a long 7 years and my memory is fuzzy but I'm pretty sure that the Obamas weren't invited to W&K's wedding. And while I recall watching Andrew & Sarah's wedding, I can't remember if the Reagans were invited to that one or not (though I do recall Nancy Reagan attending Charles & Diana's wedding). And I have zero recollection of whether or not the Clintons were invited to Edward & Sophie's wedding. My point being... The likelihood of the Trumps scoring an invite to Harry & Meghan's wedding has always been slim to none and it has zero to do with how the BRF feel about Trump, his politics, or his tweets.

Because the Obamas would have been invited as a 'political guest'. WK wedding was not a state occasion. No heads of state were invited, other then governor generals of the commonwealth, and royals. Same goes for Andrew and Edward's weddings.

If the Trudeaus are invited it will be INSPITE of the fact they are a PM and his wife. They will be invited as personal guests, as friends of the bride. Its possible to avoid the 'political angle' Sophie would come by herself. Sophie and Meghan's other friend Jessica Mulroney are friends, so she could accompany the Mulroneys over.

it does seem to me, like many pointed out, that standard were lower for harry's wife than for william's. a divorced woman, with an acting career, who isn't british or from a certain social background (such as autumn phillips)... i think those would be too many negatives for someone marrying william.

I don't get your comment about Autumn and social status. Am I missing something???? Her father worked in business (not sure he is any more successful or wealthy than Thomas Markle would be working in show business), and her stepfather was a pilot. Autumn too was an actress. She did acting, bar tending and show room modeling in her college days. The only thing really different is she wasn't divorced, and she moved on to another career.

But like Meghan, Autumn was never going to be the future queen. Certainly less expectations.

Last edited:
Because the Obamas would have been invited as a 'political guest'. WK wedding was not a state occasion. No heads of state were invited, other then governor generals of the commonwealth, and royals. Same goes for Andrew, Anne and Edward's weddings.

If the Trudeaus are invited it will be INSPITE of the fact they are a PM and his wife. They will be invited as personal guests, as friends of the bride. Its possible to avoid the 'political angle' Sophie would come by herself. Sophie and Meghna's other friend Jessica Mulroney are friends, so she could accompany the Mulroneys over.

I don't get your comment about Autumn and social status. Am I missing something???? Her father worked in business (not sure he is any more successful or wealthy than Thomas Markle would be working in show business), and her stepfather was a pilot. Autumn too was an actress. She did acting, bar tending and show room modeling in her college days. The only thing really different is she wasn't divorced, and she moved on to another career.

But like Meghan, Autumn was never going to be the future queen. Certainly less expectations.

I believe the Trudeaus , see my post above, will be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride, not as the Canadian PM and his wife.

I believe the Trudeaus , see my post above, will be invited to the wedding as personal friends of the bride, not as the Canadian PM and his wife.

As I suggested both in the post you quoted and in one above as well, that they would be invited as guests of Meghan, happy to see you agree :flowers:

Regardless of personal friendships, this will not be a state wedding and if any past or present heads of state from other countries were were to be invited, it would be controversial.

Harry's best man could be his older godson Frederick Pettifer (he will be 17 next year).
And one of the page boys - the younger one, Jasper Dyer (6 next year).

I hope the happy couple get married at St George's Chapel, Windsor. It's what I would prefer personally and it avoids comparisons with W&C. As they don't need to invite heads of state and 'important' people, just friends and family, a capacity of 800 should be enough. William had to choose WA really, as the future king. I hope for a carriage ride like Edward and Sophie and a beautiful gown for the bride, and I hope little Princess Charlotte and Lady Louise will be bridesmaids as well as any little girls of Meghan's family and friends.

I hope the happy couple get married at St George's Chapel, Windsor. It's what I would prefer personally and it avoids comparisons with W&C. As they don't need to invite heads of state and 'important' people, just friends and family, a capacity of 800 should be enough. William had to choose WA really, as the future king. I hope for a carriage ride like Edward and Sophie and a beautiful gown for the bride, and I hope little Princess Charlotte and Lady Louise will be bridesmaids as well as any little girls of Meghan's family and friends.

I'm on the seesaw as where I would like Harry to get married, and totally clueless as to where he would want to get married himself.
When I look at his personality I'd say St George's Chapel, when I look at his place in the succession (son and brother of future Kings) I'd say Westminster Abbey.

I hope we'll get the date and location soon!

Keeping my fingers crossed for St. George's Chapel. The drama of the entrance with those steps is incredible. Great photos for the wedding party and all the other arrivals.

And...I would feel much better about the convenience and comfort for the Queen and Prince Phillip. The ultimate VIPs in attendance IMO.

We'll know soon!

I'm on the seesaw as where I would like Harry to get married, and totally clueless as to where he would want to get married himself.
When I look at his personality I'd say St George's Chapel, when I look at his place in the succession (son and brother of future Kings) I'd say Westminster Abbey.

I hope we'll get the date and location soon!

My thing is that I want the balcony kiss, and yes I know about the steps and carriage ride through Windsor, but we get the carriage ride through London too. And this really is the last Abbey wedding we’ll see the BRF have until George, Charlotte, and Cambridge #3. There can be other private St. George Chapel royal weddings before then as Peter Phillips also married there. We’ll probably get photos after the fact even if the York and Wessex children’s weddings likely won’t be televised. And if St.George for non-heir is the new way to go, then it’s likely only George would marry at the Abbey in the future. And that’s just sad for the Abbey.

Keeping my fingers crossed for St. George's Chapel. The drama of the entrance with those steps is incredible. Great photos for the wedding party and all the other arrivals.

Help me see this - because I just re-watched Edward and Sophie's arrivals and the only drama happened when Edward, Charles and Andrew walked up. And it was muted compared to the other BRF wedding arrivals. Other than that - absolute silence and no build up or anticipation like Andrew/Fergie, Charles/Di or William/Catherine. I just remember watching all of that and getting goosebumps in anticipation.

Now E&S's actual ceremony was beautiful and I loved it - but I just saw no drama to her arrival or any other arrivals. It felt like a tree falling in the forest with no one to hear it compared to the others.

Half the fun of watching those weddings was the procession and the pomp and circumstance of them. Watching the car waiting for Catherine to get in. People cheering madly as each senior BRF couple exited in a car/carriage for the Abbey/Cathedral.

There was none of that drama with E&S - even with the stairs there.

My thing is that I want the balcony kiss, and yes I know about the steps and carriage ride through Windsor, but we get the carriage ride through London too. And this really is the last Abbey wedding we’ll see the BRF have until George, Charlotte, and Cambridge #3. There can be other private St. George Chapel royal weddings before then as Peter Phillips also married there. We’ll probably get photos after the fact even if the York and Wessex children’s weddings likely won’t be televised. And if St.George for non-heir is the new way to go, then it’s likely only George would marry at the Abbey in the future. And that’s just sad for the Abbey.

Those balcony kisses have become quite the treat, haven't they? :D

Regardless of personal friendships, this will not be a state wedding and if any past or present heads of state from other countries were were to be invited, it would be controversial.

Why would that be controversial? Politicians/heads of state are also people with friends, just like everyone else. As long as they are listed as friends of the couple (not representing their country), I see no problem with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom