Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the need for the procession through Windsor? Surely costs for the 5th/6th in line to the throne not worth it? Even the 1st in line didn't go through Windsor when he married Camilla.

Via Ikon Pictures Twitter

He does have a point. I think the route Edward and Sophie took is good enough for Harry and Meghan

Apparently they expect a large turn out and want to accommodate all who want to go to Windsor and see the couple on their wedding day. If they expected all could easily fit in a shorter route, I am sure a shorter route would have been chosen.

I think its all part and parcel of what Harry and Meghan said they were going to do. Involve the public in their wedding day and from all the plans we've heard of, they're not going to disappoint.

If I remember right, when they first announced their engagement, people were hoping they marry at Westminster Abbey with one of the reasons being the carriage ride through London and the balcony kiss. They're trying to incorporate as much as they can to involve the public and I like that.

Here is the route for Harry and Meghan

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageser...18209011467.png?crop=3000,2000,0,0&resize=685

The route for Edward and Sophie is not easy to find but looking at the footage it would seem they just made a big loop and didn't go down the Long Walk? It was pretty short and they are estimating that it will take H&M about 20 minutes or so?

Also no shade to Edward but looking at the wedding footage... while there was A LOT of people there I expect 2x as much for Harry. I get the desire for having a longer route to allow more people to see them. The talking about locking down the city because of the amount of people they expect to pack this place.

Security was always going to be an issue especially with Harry's military background. And now the added threats toward Meghan and just the time we live in now. Sad to say. That is a lot of people in a small space. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
More and more sounding like this is going to big a big wedding with all the bells and whistles. It's looking like it will be quite grand and royal.

LaRae

Yipee! ?

Oh I agree!!! I want as much of a grand royal wedding as I can get..it's going to be at least 20 years or more before the next one like this. I'll be an old woman then! lol

LaRae

What was the need for the procession through Windsor? Surely costs for the 5th/6th in line to the throne not worth it? Even the 1st in line didn't go through Windsor when he married Camilla.

Via Ikon Pictures Twitter

He does have a point. I think the route Edward and Sophie took is good enough for Harry and Meghan

Well, considering the 1st in line to the throne married Camilla in the Registrar's Office and how unpopular she was for a very long time, that probably wouldn't have been feasible. And obviously, they've determined the cost for the 5th/6th in line to the throne IS worth it.

I also wonder if the longer route is because they've let less people into the grounds of Windsor castle than Sophie and Edward did?

I listened to a podcast today with Omid Scobie and Emily Andrews (twitter) and they talked about the security measure that will be taken. Sounds like they are a couple steps up from previous weddings. Big metal detector machines folks have to walk thru, that they will be out at least a week ahead of time with bomb sniffing dogs, daily...limit the number of people allowed on the streets etc.

LaRae

I read elsewhere that the route for Edward and Sophie was about half a mile. This route is around two miles in length. The costs reflect concerns about terrorism, which wasn't such a concern in 1999.

I think its all part and parcel of what Harry and Meghan said they were going to do. Involve the public in their wedding day and from all the plans we've heard of, they're not going to disappoint.

If I remember right, when they first announced their engagement, people were hoping they marry at Westminster Abbey with one of the reasons being the carriage ride through London and the balcony kiss. They're trying to incorporate as much as they can to involve the public and I like that.

Agreed. I was rooting for London, but I am getting excited about Windsor mostly because of the carriage ride.
With that being said, I stand by my point that Harry's wedding should have been at Wabbey and trying to cram a senior royal's wedding into Windsor was a bad idea, even with it being pared down. Securing the Mall is done several times a year for other royal events and the police are pros at it in London. Trying to cram even a fraction of the people they expect (and I think 100k seems a little high) into Windsor will be a nightmare.

At the end of the day, if Kate and William or Edward or Sophie were to get married today in London or at Windsor their security costs would also be outrageous. This is just the name of game in today's world. We use taxpayer money ALL the time for big sporting events which are technically subsidizing private business. A royal wedding is a national event with national/historical import (especially this wedding). The police have made decisions about security independent of the wishes of the bride and groom. The carriage ride may add to costs, but at the end of the day it is the police going above and beyond to ensure safety--even if some of the measures are likely overdone.

Why people whine about security costs is beyond me. Maybe because I live in the States where POTUS' security cost 100s of millions a year (and even more with this President...), but the purported cost of this wedding seems small for what will likely be a large event with lots of public involvement.

Last edited:
Agreed. I was rooting for London, but I am getting excited about Windsor mostly because of the carriage ride.
With that being said, I stand by my point that Harry's wedding should have been at Wabbey and trying to cram a senior royal's wedding into Windsor was a bad idea, even with it being pared down. Securing the Mall is done several times a year for other royal events and the police are pros at it in London. Trying to cram even a fraction of the people they expect (and I think 100k seems a little high) into Windsor will be a nightmare.

At the end of the day, if Kate and William or Edward or Sophie were to get married today in London or at Windsor their security costs would also be outrageous. This is just the name of game in today's world. We use taxpayer money ALL the time for big sporting events which are technically subsidizing private business. A royal wedding is a national event with national/historical import (especially this wedding). The police have made decisions about security independent of the wishes of the bride and groom. The carriage ride may add to costs, but at the end of the day it is the police going above and beyond to ensure safety--even if some of the measures are likely overdone.

Why people whine about security costs is beyond me. Maybe because I live in the States where POTUS' security cost 100s of millions a year (and even more with this President...), but the purported cost of this wedding seems small for what will likely be a large event with lots of public involvement.

I think some initially thought that it would cost less at Windsor being that it’s be a smaller wedding and shorter route as St. George’s is on castle grounds. However, with all these details coming out, I’ve seen multiple outlets saying that it actually cost more in Windsor than it would have in London due to the fact that London is much more equipped to handle events like this. However, I don’t know how it would’ve gone over given that the FA Cup was happening now in London on the same day. The London police force would’ve probably been overstretched. They are capping the crowd at 100k, I believe, and there have been talks about lock down if it exceeds that.

I do think a smaller wedding is what the couple wanted. I stand by my original view that the location was still up for discussion when the original engagement announcement was made as the announcement made no mention of the location. The Cambridge announcement mentioned London and Princess Eugenie’s announcement included St. George’s. It’s becoming more and more evident that they had to get creative with the space limitation with the invitations out where people are not getting a plus one even if they are married. St. George’s can hold up to 800, but realistically it’d get quite crammed in there.

It was always going to be huge wedding when Harry was going to get married. The security measures were always going to be huge too, and IMHO questioning the security is very short sighted.

Well, considering the 1st in line to the throne married Camilla in the Registrar's Office and how unpopular she was for a very long time, that probably wouldn't have been feasible. And obviously, they've determined the cost for the 5th/6th in line to the throne IS worth it.

I also wonder if the longer route is because they've let less people into the grounds of Windsor castle than Sophie and Edward did?

Correct on Charles and Camilla. It was a second marriage, a small civil ceremony and blessing. And one with a less then popular bride. Of course Harry's wedding will call for more show, and there will be more draw to it.

Also the reality is that security costs and demand naturally have gone up. There was a lot less security concern when Sophie and Edward married. The shorter route, by like 1 mile, doesn't add up to the much smaller security cost. Cutting Harry and Meghan's route by 1 mile likely would not reduce the price much if at all.

It also probably explains why fewer people are in the castle grounds. There is a much higher need to screen who will be invited to be within the walls. By choosing less, it takes less time and money, to screen them.

They are balancing security and cost with the demand of the public to be part.

It’d be interesting to see which carriage they end up using. I thought it’d probably be the Ascot Landau before, but now, with the announcements this week, I’m not so sure.

Omid and Emily think it will be the horse drawn gold carriage/carriage with gold.

LaRae

:previous: I’m not sure which one that is. But I don’t think it’ll be an enclosed one unless it rains.

:previous:
Thanks for the link and info on the coaches. They took my breath away, did not know there were that many within the family. They craftsman ship on them is just amazing, so beauty to detail. Any one except the gold coach will work for that is HM's coach for state occasions only.?

They also alluded to some royal event they just attended in secret at BP that they couldn't talk about because it is embargoed I assume for the next 2 weeks.

They also said the Suits cast and crew have known for some time now they were attending. Makes sense. I would assume a lot of their close friends had a Save the Date kind of thing, so no real worry of getting an invite.

And I have been seeing students posting on social media about being selected as one of the lucky ones picked to be in insides the walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly any personal guests, and that to me includes her former co-workers, would have known a long time ago they were invited. Save the date or not. As well as any important people, like Prince Seeiso, who would literally need to save the date. The invitations are just a formality.

Those who are invited to be in the courtyard would be another matter. And perhaps those from the charities, even those in the church, in knowing exactly who would be sent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posts discussing the attendance (or not) of Princess Michael of Kent have been removed/edited.

It was always going to be huge wedding when Harry was going to get married. The security measures were always going to be huge too, and IMHO questioning the security is very short sighted.

Nonetheless, the cost of the wedding is turning out to be higher than expected. Given that the bride is not so popular either , at least in the UK, is there really a popular demand for the longer carriage ride route for example ? I believe a more subdued wedding along the lines of Edward and Sophie's would have been more appropriate and less controversial.

Nonetheless, the cost of the wedding is turning out to be higher than expected. Given that the bride is not so popular either , at least in the UK, is there really a popular demand for the longer carriage ride route for example ? I believe a more subdued wedding along the lines of Edward and Sophie's would have been more appropriate and less controversial.

This bride ha already surpassed the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall in approval ratings based on polls that’s been released. And this wedding is bringing a lot more than expected international coverage for the UK as a result of her being an American with ties to a major commonwealth country. Based on the turn outs at their walkabouts, it’s obvious that they are very popular. In fact, they are expecting a large crowd to come in for the wedding with plans for a lock down if the crowd exceeds that. So yes, there is obviously a popular demand for a longer carriage ride route. And it really wouldn’t save a significant portion of costs if they took a shorter carriage ride as the “ring of steel” and the security that is being put in place prior to the wedding will happen all over Windsor regardless. And btw, the security isn’t just for their safety, it’s also for the safety of the people in the crowd. I haven’t seen much controversy other than the heightened security causing alert and the police force trying to calm people by saying this should make them feel safer.

Bringing in a lot of money too...not sure how much previous weddings have brought in but they are estimating almost 2 billion (yes with a B) dollars revenue from this one.

LaRae

have been more appropriate and less controversial.

I've not seen or heard of the slightest controversy regarding this Wedding altho' , [admittedly] i'm not a reader of the Tabloids. Prince Harry is HUGELY popular, and his choice of Bride is widely accepted, as is the scale of the celebrations, which are absolutely what we expect for a Prince 'of his standing' .

Last edited:

Can you back up your claim, that the bride is not so popular? And what controversies are there about this wedding?

Bringing in a lot of money too...not sure how much previous weddings have brought in but they are estimating almost 2 billion (yes with a B) dollars revenue from this one.

LaRae

There are some skepticism regarding this. And here is how I see it, I don’t think it’ll be just May 19th itself, but over time it brought more attention to Windsor and England for tourism. As much as I am a fan of the couple, I have no plans whatsoever to go to Windsor or even London on May 19th. Why? I hate big crowds. However, next time I do plan on going to UK in the next year or so, and Windsor will now be on my list whereas before, I’d probably just go around London and then head elsewhere. I believe there has been reports from officials that the Chapel itself has already seen a spike in tourism since the announcement and people make a beeline for it as soon as they get in rather than just get to it at some point during their tour. A report report on searches for flights to London from US has shown several hundred percent increases from different hubs in US, and well there are no tourist quite like the Americans, which are the biggest tourist group for UK.

Last edited:
These very strict security measures, to me, are not totally because of who Harry and Meghan are. Of course, they're the main players in this event and security needs to be tight and absolute to protect them from possible harm but there's also the fact that every person in and around Windsor on that date deserves to be safe and secure. So they're not just there to protect the bridal couple but also their guests and the onlookers flocking to the area to be a part of the wedding. It's always better to be over prepared than under prepared and have to deal with the consequences.

I'd also hate to live around the Windsor area and realize that I needed a gallon of milk on that Saturday morning.

How is she not popular in the UK? It would seem from their many engagements so far it is quite the opposite. Prince Harry is extremely popular and according to the these polls that seem to keep coming out... Meghan is doing just fine by the public view.

The wedding was never going to be a small thing. I am glad they did what they wanted and having it in Windsor but I am sure many of their advisors are wishing they had did it at Westminster Abbey just cause it might have been easier.

These very strict security measures, to me, are not totally because of who Harry and Meghan are. Of course, they're the main players in this event and security needs to be tight and absolute to protect them from possible harm but there's also the fact that every person in and around Windsor on that date deserves to be safe and secure. So they're not just there to protect the bridal couple but also their guests and the onlookers flocking to the area to be a part of the wedding. It's always better to be over prepared than under prepared and have to deal with the consequences.

Exactly. It isn't just about them but about everyone. There will be a ton of people together in a compact space. Of course security measures will be extremely high, as it should. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
The people who are complaining about security costs would be the same people who would complain about lack of security measures if there was a security or terrorist incident!!!!!

That's it in a nutshell, Terri Terri. The security measures that are being put in place are for the safety and security of *everybody* in the area. We saw security really beefed up for Ascot last year and the recent security measures for this wedding do not surprise me one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom