The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Fondant is like silly putty/play dough. It’s so pliable. One daughter is a pastry chef and I’m always amazed at what she does with it.
Exactly. We met through our love of pet rats so on our cake we had a fondant rat/mouse bride and groom!

I hope we get to see a photo of Harry and Meghan's cake/s. Sometimes you do see them. I have seen some on a dvd called British Royal Weddings 1923 to 2005 which is a kind of documentary. Did you see the cake Monaco's Albert and Charlene had? It was ginormous!

Old 12-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel View Post
Exactly. We met through our love of pet rats so on our cake we had a fondant rat/mouse bride and groom!

I hope we get to see a photo of Harry and Meghan's cake/s. Sometimes you do see them. I have seen some on a dvd called British Royal Weddings 1923 to 2005 which is a kind of documentary. Did you see the cake Monaco's Albert and Charlene had? It was ginormous!
I just looked it up and it was huge! Hopefully we’ll get a picture. I bet you were happy with your cakeI I also can’t wait to see the hats the ladies will wear.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
. . . . . Now royal icing, the really hard stuff you get on Christmas cake, that is hard and horrible!
If it is then it isn't made properly. Nothing beats a wedding or Christmas cake with loads of fruit, glace cherries, etc. and covered in almond paste and royal icing. To be honest that's one of the best things about Christmas. It's just the basics, no twirls, furls, cutesy people or animals, just plain fruitcake with plain icing, yummy!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

We should. While we usually don't get reception photos, there are photos out there of the major british royal wedding cakes.

William and Kate
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/imagene...n%20pic--a.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/37469315848...163484/?type=3

Edward and Sophie (tennis rackets on top for how they met)
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/a4...122435763d.jpg

Charles and Diana
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/imagene...sdiana1--a.jpg

Fergie and Andrew
http://aweddingcakeblog.com/wp-conte...andrew-435.jpg

queen and Philip
http://i.pinimg.com/736x/0a/09/31/0a...6fe5d78356.jpg
Old 12-10-2017, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

William’s Groom’s Cake is the only one I find even remotely appealing. I’m not expecting much on the cake front, haven’t liked any of them so far.
http://aweddingcakeblog.com/wp-conte...rooms-Cake.jpg
Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Williams groom cake was gorgeous. I liked W&K's wedding cake.

I thought C&D's was too plain.

LaRae
Old 12-10-2017, 06:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wonder if Meghan will go with a more traditional American made wedding cake? She might do away with the fruit cake.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

That will be interesting...or maybe they will make it a blend of American layers and British layers?

LaRae
Old 12-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Or if Harry has his heart set on a British fruit cake, have it as the groom cake. There are two cakes. The main cake is usually reflective of the bride, so have it her choice. Then have a British one for the groom's cake.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it would be cute to have a Union Jack and the American Flag on the cake (crossed) or somewhere in the decoration.

LaRae
Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well Edward and Sophie did tennis cake toppers on their cake, so flags would not be too out there. Might be a cute touch.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Do we know if Harry likes fruit cake? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a cake preference from Meghan before, so she might not care that much about the cake flavor.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

No, we have no idea on preference on either.

But there is a good chance Meghan has a very American opinion on 'fruit cake' which tends to be similar to Canadian. Which is 'it makes a nice door stopper' and it is the gift you keep regifting at Christmas.

Its pretty common to choose a flavor, especially if you don't have a personal preference, to choose a flavor you know most guests will gravitate to.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think it would be cute to have a Union Jack and the American Flag on the cake (crossed) or somewhere in the decoration.

LaRae
I like that idea!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Royal Highness

I have read "groom's cake" a couple of times here. I have never heard of it, can someone explain what it is?
Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I have read "groom's cake" a couple of times here. I have never heard of it, can someone explain what it is?
It's a second cake served at the wedding or another time during the wedding celebration (ie. rehearsal dinner). It started as a stronger flavor for the "stronger sex". However, these days, it's pretty much just an alternative flavor to the wedding cake.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If the decision on the wedding cake were left to me, I'd declare that the wedding cake would be cheesecake with a decadent red raspberry topping. Can't go wrong with cheesecake. And for the groom's cake, chocolate cheesecake of course. All grooms need a wee bit of cheesecake at their wedding celebrations.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
All grooms need a wee bit of cheesecake at their wedding celebrations.

I can always count on you Osipi to brighten this site with a little humor. And on a Monday morning, I especially appreciate it.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Well Edward and Sophie did tennis cake toppers on their cake, so flags would not be too out there. Might be a cute touch.
They also had devil's food cake, so as not to subject their guests to choking down gross fruitcake!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
It's a second cake served at the wedding or another time during the wedding celebration (ie. rehearsal dinner). It started as a stronger flavor for the "stronger sex". However, these days, it's pretty much just an alternative flavor to the wedding cake.
Ah, interesting information. Thanks

Closed Thread