The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3401  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:07 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maurice, United States
Posts: 59
Weddings are about two people joining together. Two. Not one person joining another where everything goes in one direction towards the more "important" person. People might have their individual likes and dislikes about certain aspects of the wedding (no one has to like the cake or the music or whatever) but we should expect and want and welcome this wedding having aspects of both Harry and Meghan. I suspect the wedding will still be LARGELY adherent to traditional Church of England weddings. But, it doesn't have to be 100% or even 99.9% that way. Meghan is an equal partner, and it's as much her wedding as his - and as much their wedding as the public's.

Also, considering that she's going to have to do a lot of things their way from now on, I think it's a small thing if she gets a small part of the wedding (one day) the way she would like.

I don't personally care for the jumping the broom (although I understand the meaning and history behind it) and I know they aren't going to do that. But, the wicked part of me would cheer now if they did it.
__________________

  #3402  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:08 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Member - in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 17,267
All I know is that if they decide to include an operatic aria, I'm heading to the kitchen for a snack.

There are going to be things we like and things we don't like with this wedding but then again, its not our wedding. At least we have the option to grab a snack or make a cup of tea. The Queen has to sit through it whether she likes it or not.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #3403  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
Dropping to knees, saying "Father" every five seconds during a prayer, and hands levitating for any reason than laying of hands are my pet peeves.

Back on topic, I bet Meghan and Harry go with a contemporary gospel choice.

Don't even get me started!


LaRae
  #3404  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
All I know is that if they decide to include an operatic aria, I'm heading to the kitchen for a snack.

There are going to be things we like and things we don't like with this wedding but then again, its not our wedding. At least we have the option to grab a snack or make a cup of tea. The Queen has to sit through it whether she likes it or not.
I don't know about you guys, but I plan on being buzzed enough on champagne at that point that I will not care and just be happy about them getting married.
  #3405  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Scottsdale, United States
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Is because Meghanís biracial, a gospel choir is part of her heritage? She didnít grow up in a Baptist or black church.

Has she ever stated she likes gospel music?
This is the music from the church Meghan went to as a child, where she met the boy she had her first kiss with at the churchís summer camp, and the church her mother likely still attends, or at least was still attending a few years ago. Gospel music is what Meghan grew up with, and what her mothers family likely grew up with. Itís a part of Meghans heritage that Iím sure sheís proud of and Iím so glad sheís including it.

  #3406  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Quote:
The Queen has to sit through it whether she likes it or not.
Poor love, she is MORE than used to such 'Purgatory'.. ANYTHING will be better than having 'Shaggy' thrusting his crotch in her direction, as at last weeks Birthday bash...
  #3407  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:19 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
All I know is that if they decide to include an operatic aria, I'm heading to the kitchen for a snack.
It is possible, because they also included a female soprano in the program. And there will be also the 19-year-old cello soloist. None of those elements are typical of a traditional Anglican service, where music is sung basically by the usual mixed children/adult male choir and the congregation joining in for hymns. The gospel choir is not the only "innovation" then.
  #3408  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:20 PM
LadyGlendower's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: City of Light, France
Posts: 273
Clears throat.... White girl choir member here/church and community choirs.
Alto. I have had the privilege of singing "Total Praise" on several occasions, and if you are a person of faith, the mere singing of it takes you to another place. It is not a handclapping piece but rather a soaring, reverent statement of belief.

If this wedding choir sings this piece in St George's Chapel, I may expire from the sheer beauty of it. Done right, it is just that powerful.
  #3409  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:28 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 13,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani257 View Post
Weddings are about two people joining together. Two. Not one person joining another where everything goes in one direction towards the more "important" person. People might have their individual likes and dislikes about certain aspects of the wedding (no one has to like the cake or the music or whatever) but we should expect and want and welcome this wedding having aspects of both Harry and Meghan. I suspect the wedding will still be LARGELY adherent to traditional Church of England weddings. But, it doesn't have to be 100% or even 99.9% that way. Meghan is an equal partner, and it's as much her wedding as his - and as much their wedding as the public's.

Also, considering that she's going to have to do a lot of things their way from now on, I think it's a small thing if she gets a small part of the wedding (one day) the way she would like.

I don't personally care for the jumping the broom (although I understand the meaning and history behind it) and I know they aren't going to do that. But, the wicked part of me would cheer now if they did it.
This

Personally, I have always loved the jumping the broom...that is also another perfect way to honor one's ancestors (if one is so inclined) who were never given the benefit or choice of having a legal wedding. Its not for everyone and totally a personal choice.
__________________
.

  #3410  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:31 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
This

Personally, I have always loved the jumping the broom...that is also another perfect way to honor one's ancestors (if one is so inclined) who were never given the benefit or choice of having a legal wedding. Its not for everyone and totally a personal choice.
I did this with my hubby, who is not AA, and we used a broom that had been used for other weddings of family and friends.

Now I'm going to amuse myself thinking about what a royal jumping broom would look like.
  #3411  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:33 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,826
The wedding will be beautiful, because this couple is pouring their heart and soul into their wedding. I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the festivities. It’s a blessing that we get a chance to enjoy a very joyous event.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #3412  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Would someone explain 'jumping the Broom [the action/significance and history] please ?
Is it part of the Ceremony or at the reception ?

We don't have it here, so i've never seen or heard of it until now.
  #3413  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:34 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Zionsville, United States
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
This

Personally, I have always loved the jumping the broom...that is also another perfect way to honor one's ancestors (if one is so inclined) who were never given the benefit or choice of having a legal wedding. Its not for everyone and totally a personal choice.
I have always been torn on that tradition. I know and appreciate its place in our history, but it has always made me feel slightly uncomfortable. I can't explain why. That being said I've seen it be a beautiful addition to many a ceremony. But I'm willing to bet money we will not be seeing that particular tradition at this wedding.
  #3414  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 13,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Would someone explain 'jumping the Broom [the action/significance and history] please ?
Is it part of the Ceremony or at the reception ?

We don't have it here, so i've never seen or heard of it until now.
During slavery, in addition to not being allowed to read or write, slaves were not allowed to legally marry. When they pledged their loves to each other in a "marriage like ceremony" at the conclusion, they would jump the broom at the conclusion of the ceremony. When African Americans were allowed to legally marry..this practice fell out of custom.

Within the last thirty years are so, this has become very popular among young African Americans...following the conclusion of the wedding ceremony...they jump the broom. The broom (and its a not a normal broom) is usually decorated with flowers and/or ribbons.
__________________
.

  #3415  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lewisville, United States
Posts: 854
In the US, slaves were not allowed to have legal wedding ceremonies, so many of our ancestors "jumped the broom" to symbolize the couple's leap into married life. This became more popular again starting in the 70s, and many couples where at least one partner is black will incorporate it into the wedding ceremony.

We had my maid of honor take charge of the broom. She placed it on the steps leading away from the altar, and we just kind of stepped over it. I'm pretty sure this is actually a European tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_broom
  #3416  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Zonk's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere in, United States
Posts: 13,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
In the US, slaves were not allowed to have legal wedding ceremonies, so many of our ancestors "jumped the broom" to symbolize the couple's leap into married life. This became more popular again starting in the 70s, and many couples where at least one partner is black will incorporate it into the wedding ceremony.

We had my maid of honor take charge of the broom. She placed it on the steps leading away from the altar, and we just kind of stepped over it. I'm pretty sure this is actually a European tradition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_broom
Yes, I believe it has European origins as well. According to Wikipedia, it fell into practice again after Roots. Like many religions, cultures...a lot of things are lost thru the years and some how a historian/author brings it to the attention of the masses and just like that its revived.

Like I said, its not for everyone. And I don't see it happening this May.
__________________
.

  #3417  
Old 04-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
THANK YOU for enlightening me.
  #3418  
Old 04-24-2018, 02:08 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Missouri, United States
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
A gospel choir. As if I didnít see that coming from a mile away. Should be an interesting wedding.
I have to say, I certainly hope this wasn't intended in the way in which it comes across. I'm going to try to give the benefit of the doubt, here, and hope that it simply didn't translate well as some things don't over text/chat. Though I suspect that it was intended exactly as it came across and that's terribly, terribly sad and disappointing.
  #3419  
Old 04-24-2018, 02:11 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliec76 View Post
Me too. Not because I would have an issue with it, because personally I think it is great. However, gospel music and that style of worship has always been looked down on by some who feel it is "primitive" and not how "real Christians" comport themselves.
You mean White Christians?
  #3420  
Old 04-24-2018, 02:16 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,217
I plan to jump the broom at my wedding, but I do not see it happening at M/H's wedding but its all fun to think about the different traditions that can be incorporated!

Anyway, I plan on being pretty juiced on Mimomsas so everything about this wedding will be a celebration by that point.

But for real, the inclusion of the gospel choir has truly made my day.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harry and Meghan: Relationship Musings soapstar The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 3909 11-27-2017 05:10 AM




Popular Tags
#uae #abudhabirullingfamily 18th birthday abdullah ii albert prince consort all tags archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian austria braganza british royal family cadwallader camilla castile congo coronation crown jewels danish royal family denmark dubai expo duchess of kent duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex gemstones guzman hamdan bin ahmed henry viii history identifying india ingrid-alexandra japan japanese imperial family japan history jordan royal family king edward iii king henry iii king philippe king willem-alexander liechtenstein list of rulers louis mountbatten maria ii monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten nara period need help noble families norway crown princely couple official visit orleans-braganza pedro ii politics portugal prince andrew prince charles prince of wales prince of wales in jordan queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria samurai state visit st edward tokugawa uae


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022
Jelsoft Enterprises
×