Harry and Meghan: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Clears throat.... White girl choir member here/church and community choirs.
Alto. I have had the privilege of singing "Total Praise" on several occasions, and if you are a person of faith, the mere singing of it takes you to another place. It is not a handclapping piece but rather a soaring, reverent statement of belief.

If this wedding choir sings this piece in St George's Chapel, I may expire from the sheer beauty of it. Done right, it is just that powerful.

Total Praise is Grace and Love personified. I hope they sing it.

I will not be drinking...although I may later.

I have to work that Saturday...I thought I would take the day off but realized the benefit of living in Alaska! They will be completely done by the time I need to go to work. But I will be up earlier...I think 2 Alaska Standard time (which is an hour behind Pacific). So the wedding coverage is 4 to 10 AM EST...so that is up to 6 AM here....

And I just found out a friend will be in London this October...so I will be providing her with a list and some money for some wedding trinkets....SO EXCITED.

I just went and listened to several different arrangements of "Total Praise" on Youtube, and wow, what a gorgeous song. I kind of hope this is included, because it would be amazing to hear in the St. George's setting.

I don't really care for gospel music, but I would just as soon have that then those saccharine love songs that the Swedish royals like to include.

You mean White Christians?

If we really want to get technical about it, we can go waaaaay back in time and read the words of Psalm 98:4 KJV. "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise."

Christian being the key word here. ;)

I don't really care for gospel music, but I would just as soon have that then those saccharine love songs that the Swedish royals like to include.
Don't forget that Carl Philip and Sofia had a gospel choir. The forums almost had a meltdown when it happened. I don't think I've posted as much as during that wedding trying to explain Swedish customs, both traditional and those more modern.

I was referring to the use of the words 'primitive'. Cos such snobbery sounds very White Christian to me.

Anyway, one of my favorite hymns is the Mahalia Jackson rendition of How Great Thou Art. Would love to see something like this at the wedding too.

One version:

"Live" version:

Sigh, let's not get into the what is and is not racism argument again.

In a perfect world we wouldn't have to but in this world...it's very clear that there are some deeply held and deeply racist beliefs that are being openly aired with regard to Meghan and this wedding. Not just here but in other online forums, news articles, comments, etc. It's very sad that we can't simply see comments such as "I really don't care for gospel music" or "I had hoped they'd incorporate an operatic solo" or something along the like/dislike/pure opinion type comments. Instead, we're seeing comments along the lines of "to be expected, I suppose" and "could have seen that coming from a mile away" with very thinly veiled implications of racism. It's certainly true that often comments in text/forum/chat format don't translate well or with the inflection that people would put into them in person but in this case, it really does seem pretty clear that these are comments made purely because of Meghan's race/heritage and the fact that not ALL aspects of this wedding will be strictly Church of England/royal family traditional.

In a perfect world we wouldn't have to but in this world...it's very clear that there are some deeply held and deeply racist beliefs that are being openly aired with regard to Meghan and this wedding. Not just here but in other online forums, news articles, comments, etc. It's very sad that we can't simply see comments such as "I really don't care for gospel music" or "I had hoped they'd incorporate an operatic solo" or something along the like/dislike/pure opinion type comments. Instead, we're seeing comments along the lines of "to be expected, I suppose" and "could have seen that coming from a mile away" with very thinly veiled implications of racism. It's certainly true that often comments in text/forum/chat format don't translate well or with the inflection that people would put into them in person but in this case, it really does seem pretty clear that these are comments made purely because of Meghan's race/heritage and the fact that not ALL aspects of this wedding will be strictly Church of England/royal family traditional.

Oh trust you me, I have waged that battle on this board many times. My post was in response to the misuse of "casual racism" and not wanting to yet again have to define the difference between racism and prejudice.

I see where you are coming from, but I also do not want one post or two to derail the fabulous discussion on music being shared by those of us thrilled with the gospel choir.

Last edited:
Oh trust you me, I have waged that battle on this board many times. My post was in response to the misuse of "casual racism" and not wanting to yet again have to define the difference between racism and prejudice.

I totally agree with you about the undertones of posts at times, but the Mods have also asked us to move talk of race to the appropriate thread.

Agreed that it's much like beating one's head against a brick wall.:bang: And when called out on such thinly veiled implications most people tend to back-track with the "no, I didn't mean that" type response but it's so infuriating. Glad to see, though, that most commenters and royal watchers are embracing the changes and the personalization of the wedding.

Now, all of that being said and moving on...I'm beyond thrilled about the addition of the gospel choir but the cake...meh. I realize that Meghan is what is often affectionately termed as a foodie and in some instances I can fall into that category myself. But, while I'm fully in favor of doing away with the traditional fruitcake, what on earth is wrong with a good slice of vanilla or chocolate cake?! With the right decorations, maybe even edible flowers to appeal to the foodies or even vanilla cake with a flavored filling or syrup the cake could be fabulous.
Or they could go a step further and change things up even more with not only a the traditional fruit cake but multiple other cakes in different flavors for a little added food fun.

You mean White Christians?

Yes. To be blunt. I grew up in the black church and know the history of it very well. I still attend a black church, although it is now non denominational. There has always been a distaste for the traditions, worship style, etc by some people. Not all. But in the past gospel music, etc was considered "slave music" and thus considered undignified and in some instances white Christians thought it was their duty to "tame" and refine us by introducing us to their style of worship. Mind you I'm talking about history, not necessarily now. But some attitudes remain, again I stress for some people. I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I will leave it there as to not wander further off topic. Harry and Meghan have chosen to feature a style of religious music that has a very deep and rich history.

I used the word primitive because that is exactly how it is,explained in the history books. Yes, it is,definitely snobbery.

Last edited:
I'm so pleased they have a "real deal" gospel choir. I'm one who really disliked Carl Philip and Sofia's music, but that was in large part because the execution of their song choices was pretty bad across the board. The gospel tune at the end was given a performance best described as an off-brand approximation of gospel music. It was dripping of cultural appropriation. Other more pop-style song choices in their service were performed by classical musicians whose training and delivery is a very different style from what the music required.

Meghan and Harry, on the other hand, seem to have taken seriously picking the right musicians for the job. They want gospel music at some point in the ceremony so they got an acclaimed gospel choir. They evidently want orchestral music at another point, so they got one of the best conductors in England (Christopher Warren-Green) and assembled an ensemble made up of musicians from some of the best ensembles in that country. The trumpeter who is playing is world class, I'm not familiar with the young cellist but his track record is quite promising.

Anyway, now we know they'll have a lot of musicians: there's the orchestra, a Welsh soprano, the cellist, the trumpeter, the church's house choir and then the gospel choir. The big question now is just what will they play? I suspect something Baroque is in there, given the selection of Warren-Green and Blackadder. We've clearly got a lot of options in mind in this group for the gospel choir. I'd love to see John Rutter commissioned to write a new choral piece again; the one he wrote for William and Kate is lovely and has become a staple for the choir I sing in.

What I think people will find is that a lot of Christian hymns are very universal. I went hunting for Anglican/church of England choral music, because I liked some of the songs at William and Kate's wedding, and because I love different types of music. To my admitted surprise I find very many years hymns that I grew up on. We just sang them in a,different style. So I could see that possibly being the case. The choir sings a hymn or song well known on both sides of the pond, they just sing it in in the gospel/spiritual style. Holy, Holy, Holy, How Great Thou Art, Great is Thy Faithfulness, just some suggestions. Some of my very favorite hymns.

I just want to talk about the cellist for a minute. Can you imagine being 19 and being asked to play at the royal wedding? I'd be paralyzed by nerves at the thought of the type and size of audience this will encompass. But I guess that's because I'm not a prodigy. :lol:

Just checked the list of musicians-----a solo trumpet----squealing if it will be featured in the processional. I guess Purcell's Trumpet Voluntary is out because of the Diana/Charles reference but there are other great pieces and I so love the sound of a solo trumpet/organ combination in a sacred setting.

Does anyone else think a purely instrumental processional? It's my personal preference for weddings----but I make a BIG exception for "I Was Glad" at the Cambridge wedding because it was such a perfect fit for the occasion and the rest of the ceremony.

I can't stand it! Between my questions about tiara, dress, processional, wedding guest fashion, and general squeeing about the new prince I am on overload here. The wedding is less than a month away. Good times here at the royal forums;)

What I think people will find is that a lot of Christian hymns are very universal. I went hunting for Anglican/church of England choral music, because I liked some of the songs at William and Kate's wedding, and because I love different types of music. To my admitted surprise I find very many years hymns that I grew up on. We just sang them in a,different style. So I could see that possibly being the case. The choir sings a hymn or song well known on both sides of the pond, they just sing it in in the gospel/spiritual style. Holy, Holy, Holy, How Great Thou Art, Great is Thy Faithfulness, just some suggestions. Some of my very favorite hymns.

Lest we forget the origins of a song like Amazing Grace. This a song that my ancestors who where slaves sung and a song that we sing in church to this very day. This is a song written by an Englishman. We are more alike than different. Lets hope that people see that divergent voices are not a threat but a continued celebration.

I always thought that Christianity was about sharing the good word. Not trapping it with tradition but sharing it so it can be passed on from generation to generation.

The cellist has some big time experience performing under high pressure. He and his family competed on Britain's got talent, the year before he won the BBC award.

He can be found on youtube. He is quite talented.

Here he is performing with his siblings on Britain's got talent (performance was from the semi-finals)

And BBC

Was excited on my lunch break, to see news of the music choices. The gospel choir is interesting, but I really love they chose a young celloist.

So, I am looking for videos of the Kingdom Choir and found this. It seems to have a relationship with a church in CA, perhaps a friend or family member recommended them to Meghan?

Not great video quality (the audio is off) but I am pretty sure this is them.

Zaira---WOW

What a terrific worship medley. They are very disciplined singers and I can't wait to see what they bring in May.:flowers:

Zaira---WOW

What a terrific worship medley. They are very disciplined singers and I can't wait to see what they bring in May.:flowers:

Great is Thy Faithfulness is another hymn near and dear to my heart! I guess I have a lot of favorite hymns. That performance was beautiful!

Great is thy Faithfulness was sung at the funerals of my mother, my father, and my brother and is very dear to me as well. Since I'm the last man standing now I guess I'll have to sing it myself as I go to glory since my husband, a wonderful man, may precede me or even worse pick some random pop song.?

I have so enjoyed playing hooky from regular life here today. Blessings to all of you and to H & M as they prepare for one of life's greatest joys/ordeals---their wedding. :)

So, I am looking for videos of the Kingdom Choir and found this. It seems to have a relationship with a church in CA, perhaps a friend or family member recommended them to Meghan?

Not great video quality (the audio is off) but I am pretty sure this is them.

Oh my gosh Bethel, their music is so wonderful, I listen to it all the time. If the choir is affiliated with them, I'm sure that they are powerful.

*comes back into thread - sees discussion about Total Praise still and rubs hands together*

Mwaahahahahahahaaa!! My plan to seed the consciousness with that song so that M&H subconsciously have it performed at the wedding is succeeding!!

Let's get back on topic.

I am at work now, so I can't do a proper cleanup.

And I hate to close this thread. One more reported post and its closed until a British Mod can do a cleanup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom