Harry & Meghan: Legal Actions against the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As information about this lawsuit comes to our ears from one of the actual parties involved, I'm taking everything with a double dosage of salt and will sit here patiently waiting for a decision to be handed down by a judge.

You have clowns (figuratively) as defenders in this case and they're aiming to make a joker out of the prosecution. I'm going to focus on the judge. ?

How are they "aiming to make a joker out of the prosecution"? They were sued by Meghan.. She wanted this case to go to court.. and they're defending themselves as you'd expect.. and are doing what any organisation taken to court would do.
She seems to be the one who is throwing in things that have nothing to do with the case like how BP handled her image during her pregnancy... She is claiming that her father was in the wrong to talk to the media (he was) but she's ok with her friends doing it.. albeit she didn't tell them to do it...

How are they "aiming to make a joker out of the prosecution"? They were sued by Meghan.. She wanted this case to go to court.. and they're defending themselves as you'd expect.. and are doing what any organisation taken to court would do.
She seems to be the one who is throwing in things that have nothing to do with the case like how BP handled her image during her pregnancy... She is claiming that her father was in the wrong to talk to the media (he was) but she's ok with her friends doing it.. albeit she didn't tell them to do it...

I agree this is what happens and it doesn't just become about the case. If the defence are going to make it a likelihood that Meghan may have asked her friends to talk to the magazine, they are basically going to have to show it is something she is likely to do.

I take insult to the person who said about the legal sitcom. This is what defence sides make their milk and honey on. And why rape trials for instance are so appalling and why I find the defence of them dispicable.

I mean they currently have Sasha Wass for the Johnny Depp case. They will get someone similarly high profile and their team for this.

Sure, the defense has every right in the world to insist that this case not be dropped. Its my opinion that they're not dropping it because the longer this case is drawn out, the defense can and will use *anything* that comes from the prosecution as a cash cow because, basically, this is the business the defense is in.

What I would have liked to have seen put in place from the onset of this lawsuit is that there was a gag order preventing both sides from releasing detail to the general public. If that had happened, it possible that the case would have been either dropped or over with by now.

Just by the debating of the five friends and little tidbits here and there of things filed in the lawsuit, it even seems like in these conversations here, we've turned it into a bloody soap opera. :D

Sure, the defense has every right in the world to insist that this case not be dropped. Its my opinion that they're not dropping it because the longer this case is drawn out, the defense can and will use *anything* that comes from the prosecution as a cash cow because, basically, this is the business the defense is in.

What I would have liked to have seen put in place from the onset of this lawsuit is that there was a gag order preventing both sides from releasing detail to the general public. If that had happened, it possible that the case would have been either dropped or over with by now.

Just by the debating of the five friends and little tidbits here and there of things filed in the lawsuit, it even seems like in these conversations here, we've turned it into a bloody soap opera. :D
Meghan started the case, Of course the Mail are pleased that the case is going ot get them publicity.. but its Meghan who is now obscuring the issue of copyright with all this stuff about her friends and whether they can be called and if she authorised them to speak for her.

Meghan started the case, Of course the Mail are pleased that the case is going ot get them publicity.. but its Meghan who is now obscuring the issue of copyright with all this stuff about her friends and whether they can be called and if she authorised them to speak for her.

Exactly. All these "add ons" gives the defense the ability to make a joker out of the prosecution. ;)

That would the defeat the entire purpose of the law. It needs to be transparent. We must see the machinations. Sensitive issues are heard in closed court but there is nothing here that necessitates that. Because they are famous? Theybhave every right not to drop the case? She brought the case and they have refused to settle. That is their right.

None of this was thought through. The royals mustly do settle with the media over pictures and stuff. Harry thought this would be the same no doubt.

The royal family is basically The Truman Show.

Last edited:
Exactly. All these "add ons" gives the defense the ability to make a joker out of the prosecution. ;)

Does that not tell you something. It is jokes worthy. Basically cases like this are dragged into court because someone wants to make a fool of someone else. Depp and Heard. Saatchi with Nigella Lawson a few years ago.

Who does she want to make a fool off?

Does that not tell you something. It is jokes worthy. Basically cases like this are dragged into court because someone wants to make a fool of someone else. Depp and Heard. Saatchi with Nigella Lawson a few years ago.

Who does she want to make a fool off?

The *defense* (MoS) is making a joker out of the prosecution (Meghan). Not the other way around.

Have no clue about any of those other cases you mention. Barely know who Johnny Depp is. My age is showing. :)

Basically, to me, its another case of not looking before leaping and thinking things out.

Last edited:
The *defense* (MoS) is making a joker out of the prosecution (Meghan). Not the other way around.

Have no clue about any of those other cases you mention. Barely know who Johnny Depp is. My age is showing. :)

Basically, to me, its another case of not looking before leaping and thinking things out.

Yes but she brought the case. So who was she after.

Well she is making herself a bit of joke. They haven't had to try very hard.

I would look up the Depp trial in the British courts at the moment. Ostensibly he brought a case against the Sun's parent company.

If you mean making a fool of her, she's the one who's making a fool of herself. She seem to have tried to drop the case, but the paper refused because she is giving them free publicity.

If you mean making a fool of her, she's the one who's making a fool of herself. She seem to have tried to drop the case, but the paper refused because she is giving them free publicity.

Yeps. She set herself up for this. I think the decision to sue in the first place was based more in emotion than clear rational thought. A lot of things about the Sussexes seem to be trending this way lately. Sheesh.

Yeps. She set herself up for this. I think the decision to sue in the first place was based more in emotion than clear rational thought. A lot of things about the Sussexes seem to be trending this way lately. Sheesh.

No surprise there. It seems like every decision they make is a suden leap...

Very sad - I am worried about who these friends are. Meghan is very adamant to defend these friends - with not announcing the godparent list and with this. Make me wonder if there is something they don't want getting out here.
It would really be funny if there were members of the royal family on the list.

she has always been protective of 'friends'. in their engagement interview she quickly interjected after harry saying 'we were introduced by friends' to which meghan quickly said 'who will remain secret as they are private individuals', or something along those lines. then, there was the secrecy around archie's godparents. and now this. for some reason she is very keen to keep certain people out of the public arena.

it is very strange, as before she married harry she had a very public persona - with her blog & instagram, and obviously with her job as an actress.

she has always been protective of 'friends'. in their engagement interview she quickly interjected after harry saying 'we were introduced by friends' to which meghan quickly said 'who will remain secret as they are private individuals', or something along those lines. then, there was the secrecy around archie's godparents. and now this. for some reason she is very keen to keep certain people out of the public arena.

it is very strange, as before she married harry she had a very public persona - with her blog & instagram, and obviously with her job as an actress.

Not only a very public persona but she was extremely eager to post and name any friends or acquaintances, especially famous ones, she had.

She was in love with the idea of this new life. Completely swept off her feet. That it isn't what she thought it was...was a shock. Let's just hope for Harry's sake that it wasn't just the lifestyle she fell in love with.

Meghan has stated that all of the five friends are young mothers, which eliminates Oprah. Of course, it also does far more to identify them them the DM and company has ever done.

And Meghan could have given the above description to throw off anyone guessing at the identities of said 'friends'.

And Meghan could have given the above description to throw off anyone guessing at the identities of said 'friends'.

That would mean LYING in court papers!
I would imagine that would be deeply frowned upon by the judge.

I don't fault her. In her pre royal life the press wasn't going out of their way to attack and dig into the personal lives of her friends. They do that now. I mean we have seen it happen time and time again. So really... can you blame her? I would try my best to keep their business private as well, especially the ones who are not public figures.

I am afarid you are absolutely right!

what do you mean by people like him? Royals? Or Diana's sons? I agree that they seem to have over estimated thier popularity. If they had stuck the royal job for a few more years, its possible that if they sitill chose to leave they would be better liked

I think he saw that love people had for his mother. Who was divorced from the royals and thought they would continue to love him too.

But all of that is false. People were rude about Diana, she was on the down in popularity particularly that last summer, there was guilt because she had been treated as a sub person and now she was dead. There were a lot of things and really thankfully Harry is happy, healthy, wife, baby. He is fine. Diana was largely alone.

People just shrugged and went okay. I was in a managers room today and saw a Meghan and Harry wedding pictures coloured by a child. I pointed it out and we both started laughing. Like when they mattered.

Diana's been gone a long time. Yes, she was very popular amongst some people, but no-one much under 30, and I think Harry is aiming for an audience of younger people, has any real recollection of her.

He did make that speech in March in which he referred to himself as Diana's younger son, but I'm not sure that anyone thinks of him like that any more. That's no disrespect to Diana: it's just that 23 years is a long time.

Maybe he thinks they do?

Last edited:

I, respectfully, disagree. They filed the case in anticipation of a quick settlement and a bad press, poor hounded H&M narrative. This was what historically happened in these cases. She tried to drop the case when DM refused to settle, but they would not let her. The emotions came in, when multiple plans started failing and they wanted and needed a public forum to lash out.

Diana's been gone a long time. Yes, she was very popular amongst some people, but no-one much under 30, and I think Harry is aiming for an audience of younger people, has any real recollection of her.

He did make that speech in March in which he referred to himself as Diana's younger son, but I'm not sure that anyone thinks of him like that any more. That's no disrespect to Diana: it's just that 23 years is a long time.

Maybe he thinks they do?

Everyone was huge on Diana but she was treated badly and the.reaction to her reflected that.

Harry probs thought affection for him would come through her and really he is nearly as old as.she was when she died. And you can't and shouldn't live as the tragic child forever. Disturbs me that he peddled it.

If this had been a simple copyright case she would have had more chance of winning.

By adding all of this extra stuff they are simply creating more drama and making it more certain that, even if they win on the copyright, its likely they will have the other elements being brought in thrown out which will give the media the opportunity to say they have "lost".

I truly wonder who is advising them, personally I suspect it is either their PR company as its certainly keeping them in the headlines and giving "airtime" to their narrative. But if they are taking the advice of lawyers, I think the lawyers are seeing them more as cash machines rather than getting the best result for their client. Or they may be instructing the lawyers based on their own deep feelings of what they feel they deserve and should get.

I am curious where the idea- often repeated here and elsewhere on social media- that Meghan "tried to drop the case" but the DM won't "let" her came from. Meghan is the plaintiff here. You cannot force someone to continue suing you. Once the complaining party decides to no longer pursue the complaint, that is it.

I am curious where the idea- often repeated here and elsewhere on social media- that Meghan "tried to drop the case" but the DM won't "let" her came from. Meghan is the plaintiff here. You cannot force someone to continue suing you. Once the complaining party decides to no longer pursue the complaint, that is it.

I wondered that as well, or were the defendants asking for costs if it was dropped.I do not know about any of these things, but would be interested if anybody knew the answer.

They wanted to settle out of court, the mail refused. They could drop the case of they wanted but they decided to keep going. The mail have never forced them to do anything

:previous: This makes the most sense to me. They weren't trying to totally drop the case but were pushing to settle out of court. The MoS had every right to refuse and demand it go to court.

Perhaps its another case of things not going the way they planned for things to go and rushing to figure out what the next step is going to be. Sound familiar?

Who actually stated that the Sussexes wanted to settle out of court but the newspaper group refused? The Sunday Fail in its paper, their lawyers, the Sussex lawyers, both sides together? Who, and when did this occur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom