Birth of Lilibet “Lili” Diana Mountbatten-Windsor: June 4, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was "HRH The Princess of Wales" that she lost after the divorce.....but she remained Diana Princess of Wales to the very end.

Am I confused?:sad:

Yes and no.

Your summary is correct. The couples' statement, which refers to The Princess of Wales, is, unsurprisingly, incorrect. She was, as you said, Diana, Princess of Wales, and not The Princess of Wales.

No mention of the name of their (great)granddaughter/niece.

I'm trying not to read anything into that. ;) But it's probably just a quick initial announcement and there might be a more detailed one later. I was wondering if we'll get a "HM was asked and is delighted to give permission for the name" officially in the next few days.

I guess there won't be an easel outside BP this time?

"Lili Diana" just reminds me of "Lil/Little Diana", so I'm really not a fan, and I completely agree with everyone's arguments as to why "Lilibet" is irritatingly inappropriate and not an honor for HM, unless Lili's parents change their tune.

What was wrong with "Annabel"?

Is Lili a spelling commonly used in Germany, or am I just thinking that because of Lili Marlene?

I thought the commonly used name in Germany was Lidl.

I think it’s lovely that they called the baby after the Queen and the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Congratulations to the Sussex family. I bet Harry and Meghan are over the moon. Archie really is a big brother now, to little Lili!

I thought the commonly used name in Germany was Lidl.

Actually LIDL is a supermarket. Like Aldi, if you're used to that.

The common way of writing the name in Germany would be LILLI, with two L.

If it's LILI, some people might pronounce it as LEE-LI.

"Lili Diana" just reminds me of "Lil/Little Diana", so I'm really not a fan, and I completely agree with everyone's arguments as to why "Lilibet" is irritatingly inappropriate and not an honor for HM, unless Lili's parents change their tune.

What was wrong with "Annabel"?

Allegedly it was too much of a sloane name for HM and too reminiscent of Annabel's the nightclub they all frequented - named for Annabel Goldsmith.

Allegedly it was too much of a sloane name for HM and too reminiscent of Annabel's the nightclub they all frequented - named for Annabel Goldsmith.

I thought it might be because of that. Pretty name on its own, though. Slightly funny if that's the only one she ever vetoed.

Of course Princess Margaret was meant to be "Ann Margaret", but for the taste of George V. :lol:

I don’t know about anyone else’s family, but we enjoy referring to my dear late mother by several nicknames given her by others. It’s a warm way of speaking about her for us, and reminds us of those who so dubbed her.

Surely there is no real merit in claiming that this is some sort of unmerited privilege slyly exercised by Lili’s parents. The Queen could have easily squelched it if she felt that it was unsuitable; most grannies would enjoy the sweet reference to a nickname she has had for over 90 years.

Statement from BP via Roya

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson: “The Queen, The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, and The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have been informed and are delighted with the news of the birth of a daughter for The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.”

I can't help but wonder just when and how they were informed. Hopefully they've at least been sent some pics of the newborn.

There are more royals called "Lili" as a regular name. The wife of Prince Amedeo of Belgium, Donna Elisabetta ("Lilli") Rosboch von Wolkenstein comes to mind. Or Princess Marie Luise ("Lilly") zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

I can't help but wonder just when and how they were informed. Hopefully they've at least been sent some pics of the newborn.

It would not surprise me if the BRF found out from the press release.

Not in 'some form'; the firstborn daughters all have Elizabeth as one of their names. All of them except the Sussexes used the queen's official name Elizabeth as a middle name. Nobody dared to use the queen's intimate childhood nickname; except for those who least respect her legacy.

Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Zara Anne Elizabeth
Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary
Isla Elizabeth
Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
Lena Elizabeth
Lilibet (Lili) Diana

If they didn't want to use Elizabeth, why not use 'Lily' as her official name that would be clearly inspired by the queen without using the name that Harry would never dare to use to refer to his grandmother. Alternatively, they could have used Elizabeth as her official name and announce that she would be known as Lily but that would make less sense in combination with their choice for Archie (instead of Archibald being called Archie).

And the poor child will have to endure the mockery for her rather weird and old-fashioned (but not traditional) formal name... all could have been easily avoided.

My guess is that the Queen approves the use of her name. Lots of people are named after relatives with similar names or nicknames. Lilibet is a first name. It makes sense that they’d use an diminutive as her first name. I find it bizarre that people are trying to make this anything else but a tribute.

Is there any reason to think the family wouldn’t have been informed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, little one! Glad you're here safely and your mother is OK.

The name is strange overall. And the way they announced it, mimicking an official BP announcement...

The Queen could have easily squelched it if she felt that it was unsuitable.

Considering Harry and Meghan are no longer affiliated with the British monarchy, what makes you think they had to ask permission?

Lilibeth a girl's name is of English origin and a blend of Lily and Elizabeth.

The name Lily (spelling with a y ) was the top #34 name out of 100 according to
2019 Social Security names. (USA)

and in 2020 and so far in 2021 the name Lily is #35 out of 100 names for a girl in the
USA according to Social Security.

Lidl would certainly have been an interesting choice!

Definitely no easels outside Buckingham Palace - apart from anything else, they removed the one announcing Prince Philip's death because people were crowding round it and they got stressed about social distancing.

My immediate, visceral reaction to the name was "no", because it seems so hypocritical, after the pain and damage they've caused, none of which they've ever acknowledged.

Rather than reminding everyone of their relationship to the toxic institution they were so desperate to escape from, they could have just used Lili, which is so pretty in its own right (and, if they hadn't thrown a hissy fit over the titles, she could have been "Lady Lili", which is darling!) Great that they're both doing well and already home.

Is the Santa Barbara hospital near their home?

Has the official site been updated with the line of succession?

What a beautiful name and a lovely tribute to HM. I also recall that Doria's nickname for Meghan was "Flower" so perhaps it works both ways. Archie and Lili go quite well together. So thrilled for Harry, Meghan, Archie, and Doria. :flowers:

Really? That seems very unlikely.

From the wording it could go either way. I think they probably found out a bit before but maybe not much. It's a pretty generic announcement compared to Eugenie's:

https://www.royal.uk/announcement-birth-princess-eugenie-and-mr-jack-brooksbank’s-first-baby

Definitely no easels outside Buckingham Palace - apart from anything else, they removed the one announcing Prince Philip's death because people were crowding round it and they got stressed about social distancing.

Good point.

:previous: Didn't she oppose Andrew and Sarah naming Beatrice "Annabel"? If she could oppose that, surely she could tell H&M if "she was less than pleased" that they would use Lilibet.

Come to think of that (if it is true at all), didn't Andrew and Sarah befriend Lady Annabel Goldsmith, who was pretty notorious back then?

I wouldn't want a princess of the Uk being named after a nightclub as well, but yeah...

"The response of many" :lol: Random people on the internet's opinions – especially in spaces where there's generally great animosity towards H&M – have absolutely no relevance whatsoever in terms of what the "better" way to honour QEII is. She's H&M's child and they decided the best way to honour QEII was to use Lilibet.

Yes, I agree. It's one thing to critize them for what they do or don't for their living, but certainly it should be their right to name their baby as they want to? They didn't name her "princess better than Charlotte MW" and called her Prinny or Charlie, after all.

And I can't even imagine how HM really feels about the naming of a little girl that will grow up in a world so completely different from what she has known all of her life! Harry and Meghan wanted to honour HM and his mother Diana (and it is IMHO the right to a son from a titles marriage to think of his father and mother by the titles they held when he was born, even if that changed later on). I like that!

Congratulations to the Sussexes on the birth of their daughter. I’m glad mother and baby are doing well.

I’m not a fan of the name Lilibet, but Lili is nice. I’m a little surprised they didn’t include Doria’s name.

I'm trying not to read anything into that. ;) But it's probably just a quick initial announcement and there might be a more detailed one later. I was wondering if we'll get a "HM was asked and is delighted to give permission for the name" officially in the next few days.

I guess there won't be an easel outside BP this time?

Yeah, I’m not reading anything into it either. Today is the 77th anniversary of D-Day, so I think BP is focused on that. We might get a longer statement tomorrow.

ETA: The Cambridge’s just tweeted this:
We are all delighted by the happy news of the arrival of baby Lili. Congratulations to Harry, Meghan and Archie.

Last edited:
Happy to hear that Meghan and their little girl are doing well and are happy at home.

Glad baby and mother are well but I admit the name feels like a huge grab for attention or to keep a place in granny's will. It also seems like a slap in the face to the Queen after all the stunts they've pulled the last two-three years. I wish I could think the name was well intentioned but I really can't.

I'm glad mother and baby daughter are healthy and well.

I don't like the first name. I think it's disrespectful, tone-deaf and also very awkward for HM. One wonders if Harry and his wife have already trademarked "Lilibet" in the US.

When I see the name in print, I cannot move beyond the off-putting hubris of the parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom