Frederik and Mary's Work Schedule

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering how many hours the CP Couple works in, like, a week. It's probably very hard to estimate. When one looks at their schedule, one only sees their appointments but I wonder how much time they need to prepare those.
Do they have like a maximum of hours?

I think that when we are talking about how much time they need to prepare, we can assume that they are not the ones doing the research. They may just have to read over the facts, but not necessarily do the research and that makes a big difference in how much time they actually spend preparing for their engagements. Plus, they are not regular Joe's who have to take care of household duties (i.e. cleaning, grocery shopping, cooking, etc.), so all in all in MY opinion, they don't seem to be very hard working. Again, that is MY perception, and you know what they say - Perception is reality.

Let me put CP Frederik's work load into perspective, because it is an issue I deal with in the final chapter of my book "1015 Copenhagen K," the English version will be published worldwide within a few weeks.
In 2007 Frederik had approximately 70 official engagements, including his own birthday, Isabella's christening, royal hunts, state visits etc. etc. In the same year, the Duke of Edinburgh, who is pushing 90, had 380 official engagements.!

It seems each Country "counts" their engagements in a different manner. Some even count their travel time. It would be very difficult to figure out how many "hours" are spent in each engagement and then add them up. Some engagements may last 3 or 4 hours, others may only be for 20-minutes. Some engagements are very worthy - others are just fluff, and others are for trade purposes for the future.

For instance, look at Queen Rania ... she "seems" to always be working, so one wonders when she has time to sleep.

I wish my husbands job would count his travel time as work time. They don't so I get very upset when he travels outside of work hours. Salaried or not, getting home from a plane at 12.30 at night is ridiculous!

:previous: I don't think anyone can answer that for you except the CP Couple themselves :flowers:

You are so right :flowers:. Personally I finde it utterly uninteresting guessing about the workinghours of the CP Couple as nobody knows - but themselves. But I guss - this is just another way to let steam out, promote personally opinions or - even market a questionable book:whistling:.

You are so right :flowers:. Personally I finde it utterly uninteresting guessing about the workinghours of the CP Couple as nobody knows - but themselves. But I guss - this is just another way to let steam out, promote personally opinions or - even market a questionable book:whistling:.

Perhaps that should be a matter of change for the courts in europe, be more open about the number of hours spent while working. No matter what image of hard work and such the courts want to give, most people will think that royals basically do very little, some public duties and enjoying the good life. More openness might take that impression away.

Note that personal attacks or sharp remarks to other members are not welcomed here at TRF. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, as long as it is expressed in a civil way and has arguments to support it.

Last edited:
Perhaps that should be a matter of change for the courts in europe, be more open about the number of hours spent while working. No matter what image of hard work and such the courts want to give, most people will think that royals basically do very little, some public duties and enjoying the good life. More openness might take that impression away.
I don't know, I think even if they did list every single thing the Royals do some people would still question it, still find fault with it because at the end of the day that is what they want to do. I think the different courts do things the way they do because it works for the majority in that country, not everyone will be happy but that has always been the case and always will be.

If choosing and shopping for designer outfits, shoes, and accessories can be classed as work, then I would say Princess Mary does quite a lot of work ;)

If choosing and shopping for designer outfits, shoes, and accessories can be classed as work, then I would say Princess Mary does quite a lot of work ;)
I don't think that she has a larger wardrobe than your 'general CPs'. She is admittedly very good at reusing her ensembles in different way - perhaps that gives the misleading impression of around-the-clock shopping?

I find it hard to deal with such a thread as this. Why not suggest the royal couple have a time clock installed so they could satisfy the complainers about their work load. I believe their "pay" doesn't begin to compensate for the scrutiny they must endure.

People enjoy critisizing others. That is just the way it is. There is good critisism but often people don't do that. mary and Fred do a lot for their patronages. Much of it behind the scene. Mary has gone to several patron functions only we find out about it several months later as it is a "private" visit. She also spends a lot of time prepping and in meetings with her staff. Everything must be planned down to the last detail. She also has to spend a great deal of time "keeping up" with what is going on in the world and Denmark. Then she must keep up to date on her patronages and advances in those areas too. There is a lot of work in that reguard. Yes, they have severant to do cooking, cleaning etc. They have people to do the paperwork too. They are also very active parents and are determined to spend time as a family with their children and each other. I think royalty has learned from the whole Diana/Charles fiasco. As for shopping Mary doesn't do that too much. Anja Camilla her stylist will bring clothes to her to pick. She does shop like a normal woman, but that seems to get covered more. Lets face it, we want to see royals more "off duty" than "on duty". We are fasinated by every aspect of their lives. If we were not, we wouldn't have this message board. I also know that Mary is very dedicated to her patronages and very carefull about what she chooses. She just doesn't want to cut ribbons all the t ime.

I don't understand why people get bent out of shape when people want to know how much actual work the royals are doing. I think it is a valid issue, especially if you live in a country where your tax money goes to support their affluent lifestyle. This type of question doesn't mean that you are criticizing their life style, only that you would like to see some accountability for how much time they actually spend working. We can say that it is really none of our business, but if I was the one supporting them, I would want to know that they are not passing off vacations/holidays as official events.

I understand that there is work being done behind the scenes, but I also see long holidays/vacations throught the year. Anyways, I feel that it is a valid question to ask.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people get bent out of shape when people want to know how much actual work the royals are doing.
I don't think people get 'bent out of shape', people simply point out that it is not an easy question to answer.
This type of question doesn't mean that you are criticizing their life style, only that you would like to see some accountability for how much time they actually spend working.
The court publish their calendar for each month which lists their offical events -

Beyond that there is no way anyone here could answer how much time they actually spend working and, unless the organizations that they are involved with come out with a list of how much time they spend meeting behinds the scenes or unless the court comes out with a detailed list of the amount of time they spend preparing for an event, it is doubtful that we ever will.

Frederik has stated that he wanted his children to have a different childhood from his, namely more parental involvement. I think we should congratulate this couple and stop criticising them. Currently they are able to be involved with their children because they are only "in waiting". If Frederik were suddenly to succeed, hopefully later rather than sooner, both the CP's would be thrown into the whirlwind of rigorous royal duties. I have faith that when called upon to step-up to the throne the CP's will do so in an admirable fashion. Let's allow them this time though to carry out their current official duties and juggle parenthood their way.

Frederik defends his work schedule to Jan Kroner. You can read about it [URL="http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=da&tl=en&u=http://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongelige/danskekongelige/article1008578.ece"]here[/URL].

According to Frederik, to Jan: I work around the clock, buddy! Whoops! I guess Jan hit a sore spot because Frederik was clearly mad at the journalist who asked him, "It has been discussed/reported that you are not doing enough regarding work. Is it Eskstra Bladet's criticism?" Frederik replied, "You know, I work hard I work 24 hours a day seven days a week, just ask my father. And I will never retire!!!"

Other questions raised between Jan and Frederik with his friend, Holger Foss at his side eating lunch in Copenhagen:

"Good morning, what do you think about this book for it seems you have given more of yourself than you usually do?" Frederik responds, "It is up to the readers to judge..." says Frederik with evasive signals that he wants to be left alone to drink his beer and eat with his friend, Holger.

Overall, Frederik was in a bad mood.

Just ask my father?

Rather childish, no?

I think it is rather obvious that Mary seems to be working a lot more then Fred, she seems to have something on almost every day and on top of that has 2 childeren to look after.
I always get the feeling she is almost compensating for Fed's lack of commitment. I quess they might have different workethics, Mary being a commoner and used to working hard. IMO Australians have a strong work ethic and maybe she also works hard because she was not born into royalty, some how feels she needs to 'earn' her way. Like she is trying to proof herself by almost over doing it.
I don't know if I am breaking any rules here as I have never posted before, but that's MO.

Frederik defends his work schedule to Jan Kroner. You can read about it [URL="http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=da&tl=en&u=http://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongelige/danskekongelige/article1008578.ece"]here[/URL].

According to Frederik, to Jan: I work around the clock, buddy! Whoops! I guess Jan hit a sore spot because Frederik was clearly mad at the journalist who asked him, "It has been discussed/reported that you are not doing enough regarding work. Is it Eskstra Bladet's criticism?" Frederik replied, "You know, I work hard I work 24 hours a day seven days a week, just ask my father. And I will never retire!!!"

Other questions raised between Jan and Frederik with his friend, Holger Foss at his side eating lunch in Copenhagen:

"Good morning, what do you think about this book for it seems you have given more of yourself than you usually do?" Frederik responds, "It is up to the readers to judge..." says Frederik with evasive signals that he wants to be left alone to drink his beer and eat with his friend, Holger.

Overall, Frederik was in a bad mood.
Jan Körner btw is the journalist who first dubbed Mary the "Nordic Imelda Marcos" and later the same year wrote a book about the "Princess with Style". He usually asks provocative questions in a provocative way to stir up the pot (e.g. he is the one who told Marie during the engagement interview that Joachim is known as a party prince and asked her what she is going to do about it; she - IMO very charmingly - answered that she loves parties too; at that time Körner had already called her a party-princess btw :D).
So no wonder if Frederik - who obviously was disturbed during lunch - wasn't too friendly to him. But actually,in the picture he doesn't look as if he is in a bad mood.

And drollekop, if you look at their calendar you will find that in most months Frederik has as many engagements as Mary, in some even more, in a few less. (But he usually doesn't get as much media attention)
So, I don't think Mary is compensating anything.

"You know, I work hard I work 24 hours a day seven days a week, just ask my father. And I will never retire!!!"
:lol: I'm hoping this got a little lost in translation 'cause otherwise it sounds like something a schoolboy would say :ROFLMAO:

These things are quite impossible to judge IMO. We don't know how much work they do and will never know it. Because obviously every engagement they have requires a lot of preparation, and during these preparations there are no cameras present to take photographs of them! I do think they have less public engagements than other royal couples, but that doesn't mean anything of course. I wonder why Frederik felt the need to defend himself though, from what I've read from your translations of the interview, he actually felt attacked by the journalist and in the need to defend.

If you look at the various calendars, they don't have less public engagements than the Norwegian, the Dutch or the Belgian royal couples.

I'm hoping this got a little lost in translation
I would say everything gets lost with EB/Körner, and not through translation,I would rather say through "willfull misquoting". :)

Unless the protagonists of a monarchy (Kings, Crown Princes) will anger the public with obvious lazyness or do nothing at all which is clearly not the case in Denmark I don't think the amount of events is the decisive factor. Furthermore, we don't know how much they work behind the scenes and in well established monarchies such as Denmark people probably tend to value other benefits higher than a packed schedule. Best example is Spain, they work their butts off but might be the first in line for abolishment after the King's death. Bottom line is the Danish do work and attending one event after another does not have to be a key factor to survive. I think the question of benefit for the Danish people will only come up on the agenda when Frederik becomes King and well into his reign but not now, no way.

I wonder why Frederik felt the need to defend himself though, from what I've read from your translations of the interview, he actually felt attacked by the journalist and in the need to defend.
Well in his defense he was just sitting there having his lunch, so the whole thing probably just caught him a little off-guard.

Well in his defense he was just sitting there having his lunch, so the whole thing probably just caught him a little off-guard.

oh really, I thought it was part of a whole interview or something! No wonder he was a bit annoyed, if he was disturbed during his lunch!

There are no excuses for his answer nor his attitude towards Jan (who I am very well aware of thank you very much) plain and simple. Reading the text Frederik came off as being in a rather bad mood; if you are still unsure read the article yourselves.

There are no excuses for his answer nor his attitude towards Jan (who I am very well aware of thank you very much) plain and simple. Reading the text Frederik came off as being in a rather bad mood; if you are still unsure read the article yourselves.

Exactly, it was outright rude. And, if he works 24/7, why is he out drinking with friends?

And, why ask his father? I think out of everyone to ask, his father is the last person to ask. It sounds childish and makes him look bad.

Exactly, it was outright rude. And, if he works 24/7, why is he out drinking with friends?

And, why ask his father? I think out of everyone to ask, his father is the last person to ask. It sounds childish and makes him look bad.

hahha, good one, it sure is obvious that he doesn't work 24/7 if he was having lunch on a terrace. I can understand he was annoyed by being disturbed at lunch, but I gues it was quite rude indeed and he knows that in his position he cannot expect to be left alone when sitting outside on a terrace. He did actually sound quite childish, quite cute though, I think that's how a 8 year old would have responded!

I don't know if I would classify him as being rude and short, but I will say that reading the text Frederik seemed to be in a bad mood. This is only my opinion as an reader. Also, he wasn't simply drinking the entire time he was having lunch with his friend, Holger, so...

Although I do agree that his answer was a stupid one. Copy and paste that!

Last edited:
Well I don't care who Frederik is I find it very bad manners for the reporter to walk up to him while they are having lunch and start asking questions. He should of waited till he was leaving. :angry:

Frederik's answer to ask his father is the strangest thing that I have ever seen. :ROFLMAO:

Just one quick point about Mary's fashion --She receives a lot of free stuff from fashion houses and therefore doesn't spend as much as we might think. I've also noticed that some Australian tv presenters are wearing copies of Marys fashion such as the Baumfufgarten blouse worn in New York. [Please excuse my spelling here Mr Baum.] Anyway mary made the birthday boy look good and happy and that's the main thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom