Crown Prince Frederik's 50th Birthday Celebrations: May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't really look at all of them. If there are only 50 scans it can't be all the book. :ermm:

Okay, forget my previous post. ?
I'll edit it.

Thanks again for doing this, Muhler!

Would still love for you to scan the book because even from the little previews we have seen on the web, it is clear not all the pictures were scanned. For instance, while someone flipped through the book in a video, there was a picture of Frederik posing with Isabella at what (looked like) Port Arthur, in Tasmania. Another of Frederik standing on a surfboard with Vincent in the water near him.

It really can't be even close to all the book.

DR still seems to geoblock:sad:
However I now finally managed to watch big parts of it (it only worked with my smartphone, but still nice to be able to watch it:) PM me if you want.) .
The kids are lovely! Especially Vincent as previous posters already described. But it's also great to see how self aware Christian is becoming.
They seem like a happy family:flowers:

Judging from todays comments of the social media, it was Vincent who rocked last night.
Partly by nodding off during the performance of a stand-up comedian and partly for his brutal honesty when telling about his family, despite hints from big brother that you don't tell everything to the camera. Vincent did... :D

BT has a transcript of one of the more memorable segments:
https://www.bt.dk/royale/kronprinsen-blev-hyldet-men-det-var-en-anden-der-stjal-showet

Not even a friendly but stern look from big brother could stop the little prince once he had started telling that "mother gets cross if we goof too much", and Prince Christian corrected by saying: "Nah, she just says we must pull ourselves together."

"No, she gets cross, Christian," says Vincent with a little mischievous smile.

"No, I won't say she does that," says Christian.

"She does."

"No, she doesn't."

"She does."

"No, Vincent," says Christian and ends the discussion with intense eye-contact.

--------------------

:previous: Soon hopefully. ?

In the meantime enjoy this BB video of the DRF arriving at the concert yesterday, Alexandra is towards the end. Narrated by the omnipresent Ulrik Ulriksen:
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...g-mary-havde-en-forrygende-aften-med-boernene

Notice Bella, darting over to hold dad's hand - knocking over old ladies, wheelchairs and invalid animals in the process. :D

At what age would the children start attending events like the gala banquet? Is it around 16 or 17?

At what age would the children start attending events like the gala banquet? Is it around 16 or 17?

It seems to be 18 here in DK.

But at major family events where there is an official gala and where you are among "friendlies" I personally think 16 would be fine. At that age a girl can usually wear a gown and get away with it, and boys begin to have shoulders wide enough to look reasonable in a suit.
Having said that, they should IMO still be 18 before attending a gala with foreign dignitaries. Like a state visit. It's daunting enough for the poor teenagers as it is. Nikolai looked positively frightened a couple of times and he usually have self confidence.

Didn't really look at all of them. If there are only 50 scans it can't be all the book. :ermm:

Okay, forget my previous post. ?

I'll edit it.

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I wanted to know if the proceeds from the sale of the book will benefit a favorite project/charity of the Crown Prince couple. Thank you.

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I wanted to know if the proceeds from the sale of the book will benefit a favorite project/charity of the Crown Prince couple. Thank you.

Don't know.
But I'll tell you tomorrow when I've picked up the book. ?

:)the kids' clips are on youtube!:cool:

(well at least this one and their congratulations
. and I think it's highly likely that the other ones will be added too.)

Edit: And finally a way to watch the Min Vej documentary. It's almost like christmas. But be quick, there are obviously copyright issues...

Last edited:
:previous: thanks. the video of the kids was wonderful!
another clip

at the concert, one of the songs was about losing a father, that got Josephine a little teary eye
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kultur/se...iks-festkoncert-lukas-graham-roerer-prinsesse
from the concert, those smiles
https://scontent.faep9-2.fna.fbcdn....=4748075ded65be67901a5a459b4f213e&oe=5B7E3942

Frederik and the military and the special frogman tribute
https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/kultur/fi...selsdagsshow-de-er-kronprinsens-anden-familie
video on Mary's speech

from the concert
https://asset.dr.dk/ImageScaler/?se...6&h=442&scaleAfter=crop&quality=75&ratio=16-9
https://scontent.faep9-2.fna.fbcdn....=812465675c16473d086252cc634687e2&oe=5B764AAA

more articles
https://www.bt.dk/royale/prinsesse-...-oejnene-til-frederiks-store-foedselsdagsbrag
some birthday gifts
Til brylluppet fik de 1800 gaver - nu gøres der status over Kronprinsens gavebord - TV 2

This birthday week celebration has been fantastic. The royal run including and involving all of Denmark was beautiful. The visit to Aarhus, the carriage ride. the speeches in the gala. The balcony scene with a happy, proud Frederik, full of emotion with his family. And the concert, the little videos with the kids and doggy Grace were super.

:)the kids' clips are on youtube!:cool:

(well at least this one and their congratulations
. and I think it's highly likely that the other ones will be added too.)

Edit: And finally a way to watch the Min Vej documentary. It's almost like christmas. But be quick, there are obviously copyright issues...

I think the poster of the day award must go to you, Iolanthe. :flowers:

Vincent is a winner! - And he just goes on! So I hope the other segments will also be uploaded.

You are going to enjoy the docu, even if you don't understand Danish. In some ways it's better if you don't, so you can observe their interaction and body-language.
And BTW - It's easy to download.

Last edited:
An additional thank you to those who shared photos from the book - they were lovely to see. I probably won't be buying it as it will be even more expensive with shipping so it's nice to see them uploaded online.

Boy oh boy. There are so many articles to read, pictures to stare at, and videos to revisit. Thank you all!

An additional thank you to those who shared photos from the book - they were lovely to see. I probably won't be buying it as it will be even more expensive with shipping so it's nice to see them uploaded online.

Have you found a place that will ship internationally?

Last edited:
I think it would be wise of you to wait and see what it actually is you will be paying for.
Like I said yesterday I'm going to pick up the book later today. But I doubt I will finish scanning it until late next month.
There are plenty of other things to see to and Mrs. Muhler and I will be away for a week.

This must be seen as a present from the photographers and the publisher, in the form of a tribute to Frederik.
https://www.bog-ide.dk/produkt/2472895/hkh-kronprins-frederik

It has been mentioned in some articles, that this is Mary's gift to her husband. The past 25 years of his life in pictures.

"I anledning af H.K.H. Kronprins Frederiks 50 års fødselsdag d. 26. maj 2018, udkommer den ultimative folkegave i form af denne bog, som er H.K.H. Kronprinsesse Marys personlige kærlighedserklæring til Danmarks kommende konge"

"Crown Princess Mary's personal declaration of love to the future king of Denmark"

Last edited:
I've now had a closer look at the book.

I'll say 80 % of the pics are new to the public.
A very rough estimate says 450-500 pics in total.

Even though this book is about Frederik, it's mostly about Frederik the dad and husband, so plenty of photos with Mary and the children as well. Plenty as in loads of them!

Each photo comes with a caption.

Do you remember Mary talking about her husband in shorts and Lycra? - weeeell... Nearly :D

--------------------------------

Okay, I've picked up the book and flipped through it.

There are around 200 pages with photos, most of them are new to me.
A considerable number of the photos are from photo sessions, that haven't been published.
So for hardcore followers of M&F this is a must!

It's a hardcover, neatly made with a good finish and enough captions to tell you what's going on, including presentation of the four professional photographers who have contributed to this book, plus of course Mary herself.

There is no mentioning of the proceeds going to charity of something similar. Considering the price that would also have been a meager amount.
This must be seen as a present from the photographers and the publisher, in the form of a tribute to Frederik. (See above post by Nordic.)

This book costs 199 DKK, under normal circumstances I'll estimate a book like this to cost at least 450 DKK, probably as much as 600 DKK.

So now all you have to do is to be patient for some time, until I've gotten around to scanning it. - Unless of course you can't wait and order one for yourself. ;)

Last edited:
Mr Muhler,
The Crown Princess speach was a highlight but what are the danes thinking about her accent ?

Mr Muhler,
The Crown Princess speach was a highlight but what are the danes thinking about her accent ?

Well, I won't speak for other Danes here on TRF, only for myself and from the word on the street around where I am.

She has a marked and distinct accent, which I now think she is unlikely to lose. I think this is the level which she will pretty much retain for the rest of her life.
Her accent BTW is typical for English speakers, in the same was as Danes speaking English have a distinct "sound".
She is still easy to understand. - It does happen that her accent is very thick though, when she is (or has been) thinking in English.
This however, has nothing to do with her mastery of Danish, which is on an lower academic/advanced high school level.

Mary may be criticized from time to time, but very rarely for her Danish.

Well, I won't speak for other Danes here on TRF, only for myself and from the word on the street around where I am.

She has a marked and distinct accent, which I now think she is unlikely to lose. I think this is the level which she will pretty much retain for the rest of her life.
Her accent BTW is typical for English speakers, in the same was as Danes speaking English have a distinct "sound".
She is still easy to understand. - It does happen that her accent is very thick though, when she is (or has been) thinking in English.
This however, has nothing to do with her mastery of Danish, which is on an lower academic/advanced high school level.

Mary may be criticized from time to time, but very rarely for her Danish.
Judging from what my Danish relatives are saying (keep in mind they're mostly middle class royalists... You know the type that watch Matador everytime it's on tv even though they have the dvd) both Mary and Marie had a tough act to follow in Alexandra but that both have done really well with Marie maybe a little better which might have something to do with French sharing some of the sounds of Danish.

Billedbladet has a short video of the family leaving the birthday event on Sunday:

Judging from what my Danish relatives are saying (keep in mind they're mostly middle class royalists... You know the type that watch Matador everytime it's on tv even though they have the dvd) both Mary and Marie had a tough act to follow in Alexandra but that both have done really well with Marie maybe a little better which might have something to do with French sharing some of the sounds of Danish.

I think it is similar to actors like eg Mads Mikkelsen or Nikolaj Coster-Waldau sounding in English. I have the movie "The Door" with Mikkelsen in the German original version where he spoke his lines in German to make dubbing easier and you can clearly hear the sounds that are so uncommon for a Danish native speaker, though the languages are quite related.
There are a lot of words in German and Danish that obviously come from the same sources, like eg that infamous "Hygge" - which is a variation of the German "Hege", which means to take care of something, so "Hygge" is taking care of yourself and those who live around you in a positive, lovely manner. Think of "wellness" for yourself and others. In this case the words are even spoken similarly.

English is even more difficult. I absolutely agree that French and Danish share certain sounds that makes it easier for Marie than it has been for Mary. What I found fascinating with Danish is that the written and the spoken language can be so different. While I get a bit of an idea on reading Danish texts what it is about, I have no idea when I hear spoken Danish.

Billedbladet has a short video of the family leaving the birthday event on Sunday:

How sweet Mary is. The reason people laugh in the end is because everyone get into the car while Mary is the last one to say holdbar so the door close right in front her and she is joking: “Don’t forget me..” :lol:

On the topic of Mary's accent, I think most Danes just think it's sweet. There's clearly nothing wrong with her vocabulary, it's just the accent that sticks. She's teased a bit about it every now and then but it's teasing that comes from a place of love rather than it is mocking her, if that makes sense.

This book costs 199 DKK, under normal circumstances I'll estimate a book like this to cost at least 450 DKK, probably as much as 600 DKK.

So now all you have to do is to be patient for some time, until I've gotten around to scanning it. - Unless of course you can't wait and order one for yourself. ;)

Thank you for the insight/review. I've gone ahead and purchased it from ArnoldBusck.dk. So for anyone international who's considering purchasing: the book itself cost 159.96 DKK. The tax that would've bumped it up to 199 DKK wasn't applied. I guess they waived it because I'm purchasing from the States? I obviously have no clue how it works. But anyway, the shipping cost 208.88 DKK. So the total was 368.84 DKK ($58.10).

Here are some links to him in Lycra:

This post is so delightful. :lol: Thank you for gathering those links.

On the topic of Mary's accent, I think most Danes just think it's sweet. There's clearly nothing wrong with her vocabulary, it's just the accent that sticks. She's teased a bit about it every now and then but it's teasing that comes from a place of love rather than it is mocking her, if that makes sense.

Makes sense and is really sweet. Seems like it's become an endearing quality.

They already deleted it....:bang::ermm::ohmy::sad:

DR were on top of things! They had the videos blocked and sent the uploader an email, so she just deleted them. Huge bummer.

Back
Top Bottom