Crown Prince Frederik's 50th Birthday Celebrations: May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you Roskilde for sharing the photos; and I love that Mary dedicated the book to Frederik for his birthday. I've always thought that they were a lovely and warm couple; and seem to be a happy family. The photos of Frederik with a younger Christian and Isabella are super cute.

I received my copy of the book today! Not even gonna lie, I gave it a little hug. :lol: Lovely book. Gorgeous pictures. Worth the $60.

On this glorious day where the Danish national team will be running circles around the Australian national team - and destroy them, let's learn a little about Frederik's private birthday celebration.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #25, 2018.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Who along with a number of other journalists took up position outside Fredensborg Palace all Saturday.
The party was organized by Mary and the theme was hippies/flower power/the summer of 68 and most of the 200 guests had indeed dressed up for the occasion. Some very much so, as you can tell from the scans!
Some where inspired by the Burning Man Festival, where the purpose is to dress as outlandish as possible.
Apart from close associates, like Per Thonit and wife, and Mary's hairdressed, Søren Hedegaard with husband, it was basically one long parade of M&F's many friends.
Including Mary's dad John Donaldson and Susan Moody.

Isabella and Christian were observed and it is presumed Vincent and Josephine were there as well, because many guests brought along their children.
The celebration did not take place in the actual palace, but instead at M&F's former home, Kancellihuset, which must be considered large enough for the purpose, even with 200 guests.
Since the weather was great and Denmark was to play it's first match at the championships that Saturday a big screen had been set up to the delight of the many soccer fans present. DK won, so no eye was dry...
Joachim and our Marie were there too. Joachim in his famous rust-colored pants. They had a great time and left late!
Haakon and Mette-Marit were also among the guests. Mette-Marit with flowers in her hair. (The photo in the article is not from the birthday.)

The party began around 15.00 and ended long after midnight.

The toastmaster was the actor Nikolai Lie Kaas, who is also a friend of M&F.

Mary had arranged the entertainment, with contributions from various guests. Among them some of Frederik's old mates from the Frogman Corps, who started the party by singing for him.
A number of the female guests also sang Frederik's praise, as well as communal singing of the birthday song.
Lars Ulrich from Metallica was there as well, but I doubt he gave a performance.
But other bands did. (They will mean little to non-Danes though, so I won't go into details.)
There was also comical entertainment, by the in DK very popular Rytteriet = The Cavalry. - A couple, depicting mega-rich and most politically incorrect snobs. - Considering that many of the guests are pretty rich and live in the general area where these "snobs" claim to live, that was a most apt choice!

Perhaps someone can help me. Who are Simon and Sandra, who are depicted in the upper left corner of page 7? They said they have known M&F for many years.

But see for yourselves here: https://app.box.com/s/8x23ssumqv01z0a2osnchbr147x882ev

And for good measure, here are BB for the past two weeks as well:
https://app.box.com/s/k2g66dyn1lih0o8dgp928vu0wyosyzhi

https://app.box.com/s/fig6bwc8g89ex7foocihvx6sa2ewmt55

The man in that painting bears no resemblance to Frederick. Whoever it is, however, is quite dashing.

I visited Copenhagen and Frederiksborg Castle a couple of weeks ago and the man in the painting is quite dashing and it definitely is a painting of Frederik, the Crown Prince of Denmark.

Quoting a Danish poster on DRF social media: "It's a painting, not a photograph".
If you want as much likeness as possible in a painting, Mary's is exactly like her and Frederik's is very good. His posture in the painting, walking towards his family, is so much like the Frederik we have seen in many photos.

The two paintings look really nice hanging there, next to each other. The colours are very warm and if you didn't know, you would think they were painted at the same time.

To me, it would have been better if only these two paintings had been in that room. Prince Philip could have been placed somewhere else.

His painting was very good and so was Queen Elizabeth, Sophie (can't remember her title) was ok and Edward was my least favourite. Judy Dench was very good.

I ordered it from ArnoldBusck.dk. Purchased it May 29, still waiting for it. Tracking tells me it just passed through customs. Don't know how much longer it will take. Hopefully not much longer!

thank you so much for the link you given me, I had just received the book today as an early Birthday Treat for myself[emoji6]

:previous:
?
Do let us know if it was worth the money.

it’s worth every penny of course, I was willing to buy with a lot of double price if necessary considering i’m in Jakarta Indonesia right now ( i think i’m the only one who bought the book from here[emoji5]) but the gladly i just have to pay around 85USD and recieved just on the door❤️❤️

Interview Frederik gave about the royal run
https://issuu.com/idraetsliv/docs/idr_tsliv0318_web/16
https://image.isu.pub/180625091623-2a691cfa6c84edfb4f535e4e93bac72d/jpg/page_1_thumb_large.jpg

parts of the interview
https://www.bt.dk/danmark/kronprins-frederik-min-droem-blev-til-virkelighed
"Yesterday, I met a lot of people who had never participated in a race, and who might not have experienced the joy of physical activity before. I saw a pride and well-being in their eyes when they came to a goal, and that's something I'll never forget, says the Crown Prince to the magazine."?

Hi there, this is my first post so I am not sure if I am doing this correctly, however, I am wondering if the documentary screened for Frederik's 50th is available to view somewhere? Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi there, this is my first post so I am not sure if I am doing this correctly, however, I am wondering if the documentary screened for Frederik's 50th is available to view somewhere? Thank you.

Congratulations on your first post, Raindrops :flowers:

I've checked YouTube. Alas, no docu there. :sad:

Hmm... Interesting. I think I like. Yeah, not bad.

That is a remarkable portrait and certainly depicts the man the Prince is now rather than Prince Charming who swept Mary off her feet.

It doesn't hurt that Frederick is easy on the eye although if it didn't reflect an honest picture would have been critically lambasted.

Wow.......what an outstanding portrait of handsome Frederik, that is fabulous. I really like this one of him for it seems to show him in different lights by the expressions on his face. He looks so delighted with it also......as always Prince Frederik is the most handsomest prince out there and those baby blues of his must blow Mary away at times.....❤️?

:previous: How nice! A little bit of Tasmanian in their home and for his art collection :flowers:

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #40.
Where a B. Kragh would like to know what the official Denmark gave Frederik for his 50th B-day.

Jon Bloch Skipper responds that the Parliament and the government presented Frederik with a painting by Anette Harboe Flensburg, named: The House in the World. The World in the House.

The painting now hangs at Aarhus University and here it will remain.

See the painting here: https://app.box.com/s/byx428t28johxpo8hvnnaztq0zyikfjc

Last edited:
https://www.bt.dk/kendte/radiovaert...ronprins-frederiks-vilde-foedselsdag-der-blev

This is about Radio-host/DJ, Palle Peter Jencel, who was DJ at Frederik's 50th birthday party that took place at Kancellihuset (assuredly) at Fredensborg.
He tells a few details in a podcast.

It was a surprise-party arranged by Mary, with the theme: Festival.

He was placed in a room (with his equipment presumably) in a living room and BTW when he had to go to the bathroom, he had to walk through M&F's private bedroom. (Which is why I'm sure it was in Kancellihuset, and I know from other sources at the time, that there was a party at Kancellihuset.)

He was hired to play from 15-04 and as always he got quite a few requests from the guests present.
Not least the royal children:
"All they wanted to hear is Gilli and Kesi, and you really can't stand there playing that for 200 affluent people in nice clothes.
They are standing there, doing that floss-dance that young people dance today."

And the requests continued, one from Mary:
"I know it sounds a little odd, but can I request a song?
Do you have Rage Against the Machine with Killing in the Name?"
(See the music video in the article.)

Another request came from Mary's sister, who was pretty delighted with Lars Ulrich from Metallica being among the guests. And she simply insisted that he played something by Metallica.

Even though most of the requests was rock music, he did put on Macarena at some point:
"Then the whole crowd begin to dance Macarena."

At 04.30 a tired Mary decided the party was over and Palle Peter Jencel hitched a ride with M&F and Mary's sisters to Copenhagen:
"We drive into Amalienborg Square, the sun is up and we say thank you for a nice evening. I get out and it's only there it dawns on me, what has happened."

Apart from Palle Peter Jencel being a DJ, the bands Gulddreng and Nephew also played during the party.

Here is Gilli & Kesi, who I must confess I didn't know.

But metallica I do know!
But in the evening the children were put in bed and the party moved inside:
"Everybody danced and they have this cardboard cutout of Frederik that is being crowd-surfed around."

Last edited:
Hello! I haven't been on the forum for ages....but it's good to see that it's still active! I hope you are all well! Does anybody know if there is a version of the documentary 'Min vej - kronprins Frederik 50 år' with Engish subtitles?

Thank you!

Hello! I haven't been on the forum for ages....but it's good to see that it's still active! I hope you are all well! Does anybody know if there is a version of the documentary 'Min vej - kronprins Frederik 50 år' with Engish subtitles?

Thank you!

Great to see you back :flowers:

I don’t think there is a version of the documentary with english subtitles. It was shown on TV2 and their programmes can’t been watched outside Denmark so I don’t think anyone has created english subtitles to it.

I have seen shorter clips from the documentary with english subtitles on the Frederik & Mary fanpages around the internet, Facebook and Instagram etc., but sadly not the full documentary translated.

Last edited:
Great to see you back :flowers:

I don’t think there is a version of the documentary with english subtitles. It was shown on TV2 and their programmes can’t been watched outside Denmark so I don’t think anyone has created english subtitles to it.

I have seen shorter clips from the documentary with english subtitles on the Frederik & Mary fanpages around the internet, Facebook and Instagram etc., but sadly not the full documentary translated.

Thanks Roskilde! I saw it in Danish :)flowers:) and loved it - but it would have been wonderful to understand some of the comments. Regardless, it was very well done!

Hello There !! Juliette 2 great to hear from you again!
I do wish Danish TV would realise there is a large English speaking community also interested in their Royals and provide subtitles for us. I know some programmes do but not all.

Hi not sure if posting this right. I don't post much but you can watch the 50th birthday documentary My Way on jjfilm.com.

Thanks, Sidacarri. :flowers:

This one: https://www.jjfilm.com/portfolio-post/my-way-a-portrait-of-crown-prince-frederik/

JJfilm is IIRC Martin Jørgensen's father. He has been doing some docus with the DRF.

Thank you Muhler & Sidcari for sharing this. It is Even if if I cannot understand a word, still I am able to see how the CP is very much in touch with real life. It was very moving to see him working as a volunteer in that country devastated by the earthquake. When the time comes, he will be a good king.

In the credits of the video, it says it has UK sub-titles which I am assuming to mean English. I found a very short video in YT with English translation. I want to share it here but I don’t know how to.

Thank you Muhler & Sidcari for sharing this. It is Even if if I cannot understand a word, still I am able to see how the CP is very much in touch with real life. It was very moving to see him working as a volunteer in that country devastated by the earthquake. When the time comes, he will be a good king.

In the credits of the video, it says it has UK sub-titles which I am assuming to mean English. I found a very short video in YT with English translation. I want to share it here but I don’t know how to.

?

The video you can purchase does indeed have English subtitles. But not this demo version we can see here.
You can quite often find DRF videos on YouTube with English subtitles.
Like the example I post below.
Say you make a search saying: "Kronprins Frederik" then you will sometimes in the results listed see the word "Undertekster" = subtitles in the description, that's a good indicator. Sometimes only Danish subtitles, but in this one also English.
Click on the cog-wheel if there is one, sort of like this dude here * and you can select or deselect subtitles if they are available. Sometimes in various languages.

As for posting a video. Do you mean posting here? Or copy/pasting something in general?

With your indulgence I'll do some mansplaining. ;)
You see a video and want to post it here.
Towards the top of your screen is a text starting with https://
Click once on the text and it turns blue.
Click on "edit" in the top of your screen, then click "copy" (alternatively use your mouse or press the ctrl and c keys at the same time.)
You have now copied the video.
Now you are posting here and you choose "edit" again and "paste". (alternatively use your mouse or press the ctrl and v keys at the same time.)
The video is now a part of your post. You will see a screen when you have finished your post and hit "submit reply".
?

Last edited:
After watching all the videos of all the events during his 50th Bday...wow is all I can say...watch a huge amazing celebration! I loved watching videos of all the events! It was well..."Kingly" for lack of a better word!

Back
Top Bottom