Princess Elizabeth & the Duke of Edinburgh, 20 November 1947

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2nd row - #2: Marie Bonaparte, Princess George of Greece
2nd row - #11: I believe it's Irene of Greece and not her sister Helen
3rd row - #14: Eugenie of Greece, Prince George's daughter

The Glass Coach was used at Princess Elizabeth's wedding. Her mother, Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret rode in the Glass Coach to Westminster Abbey. King George VI and Princess Elizabeth rode in the Irish State Coach to the Abbey. Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip rode in the Glass Coach from the Abbey after the wedding service.
I saw news footage of the wedding of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.
The commentator exclaimed, "The joy of the Princess and people was now complete." as Elizabeth and Philip rode in the Glass Coach from Westminster Abbey to Buckingham Palace.
Truly beautiful.

Prince Philip signed the register with the gold fountain pen with the names of his sisters.
His sisters had given Philip the gold fountain pen as a joint wedding present.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the reception, King George VI held up his champagne glass and tearfully said "To the bride!" A few days later he wrote her a touching letter. I always found that so sweet!

Prince Philip's sisters, Princess Margarita of Hohenloe-Langenberg, Princess Theodora the Margravine of Baden, and Princess Sophie of Hanover, listened to their brother and Princess Elizabeth's wedding service on the radio in Marienburg Castle.

At least in one way, Princess Elizabeth was like her subjects.
She had clothing ration coupons.
To imagine that a lady's wedding day, an important day in her life, had to be dictated by clothing ration coupons is unbelievable.
However Princess Elizabeth came through!!

Princess Elizabeth and her father King George VI rode in the Irish State Coach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR2xn_Yi-Ac

Of the 2,500 wedding invitations, Prince Philip was allotted only two. These he gave to Michael Parker, his navy shipmate, and Cobina Wright.

The route from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Abbey for Princess Elizabeth's wedding was decked with flags and bunting. Yellow and white banners appliquéd with wine-colored motifs bearing the initials E and P were mounted on blue masts in front of the Palace.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Queen Elizabeth II's Gown

I really don't like this wedding gown. While I find the embroidery and the details exquisite, I don't like the overall design of the gown. I really dislike the color and the top design. Also, there are too much details on the dress in my opinion. The veil however is absolutely breathtaking. Very regal and majestic.

From my view, this gown is not horrible but simply too dated to be one of my favorites.

I think that dress was very glamourous fro that time, and you can spot Queen Elizabeth's style and taste there. Keep in mind that she got married in uncertain times, therefore it is well reported she chose not very expensive gown...

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: Queen Elizabeth II's Gown

I really don't like this wedding gown. While I find the embroidery and the details exquisite, I don't like the overall design of the gown. I really dislike the color and the top design. Also, there are too much details on the dress in my opinion. The veil however is absolutely breathtaking. Very regal and majestic.

From my view, this gown is not horrible but simply too dated to be one of my favorites.

Given the dress was used nearly 70 years ago, you would expect it to have dated!

Having seen the dress up close and personal all I can say is 'wow' it was magnificent.

The dress was on display at KP during the Golden Jubilee year, along with Victoria's, Mary's, Alexandra's and the Queen Mum's. That last one was one ugly dress - but typical of the 1920s while the others were grand affairs.

First photo: Mr. Schur (the one in the middle), chief confectioner for McVitie and Price, stands in front admiring his masterpiece, Princess Elizabeth's wedding cake.

Second Photo: The cake stands alone :D The cake had four tiers, stood 9 feet high and weighed 500 pounds. (That's a lot of cake, people!)

Third Photo: The wedding cake was decorated with armorial bearings and the two bottom layers had scenes from the lives of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.

Oh my. I didn't get to do the wedding cake thing, there was no need to do that, very few guests, no mouths to feed besides our own and we did the Italian food restaurant thing instead. That is spectacular, a spectacular cake in the photo. I have never seen a cake that huge, in my life. There was plenty to go around, almost, looks like, that is what counts. Personally, I'd rather have a mud fight than have everyone to sit polite and eat cake, lol. My husband and I would be more likely to toss a handful of wet mud than rice. Just a drastic change in culture, kind of a culture shock to see such a heavily religious wedding and so many mouths to feed a cake that huge might not be enough. There is no way I could tolerate a wedding like that. I admire their ability to have such a personal time shared with the world. I fail to see the beauty in it, I do however think it took great courage to marry with the world watching and be courteous, polite and respectful. Thanks for posting, it shows extravagance does have a proper place and a use.

Oh my. I didn't get to do the wedding cake thing, there was no need to do that, very few guests, no mouths to feed besides our own and we did the Italian food restaurant thing instead. That is spectacular, a spectacular cake in the photo. I have never seen a cake that huge, in my life. There was plenty to go around, almost, looks like, that is what counts. Personally, I'd rather have a mud fight than have everyone to sit polite and eat cake, lol. My husband and I would be more likely to toss a handful of wet mud than rice. Just a drastic change in culture, kind of a culture shock to see such a heavily religious wedding and so many mouths to feed a cake that huge might not be enough. There is no way I could tolerate a wedding like that. I admire their ability to have such a personal time shared with the world. I fail to see the beauty in it, I do however think it took great courage to marry with the world watching and be courteous, polite and respectful. Thanks for posting, it shows extravagance does have a proper place and a use.

For more information and pictures of Royal Wedding Cakes, including Princess Elizabeth's, check out the following link: -

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/royal-wedding-cakes-4219.html

:previous: Oh my.... that was a very sweet letter! The classic words you hear from a dad who "loses" his daughter to another man... thank you for that link!

Daddy's little girl forever it seems too from that beautiful letter between father and daughter. It really emphasizes, I think, just how close of a family they were. Bertie's deep love for his own Elizabeth shines through so very clearly too and makes me realize just how heart wrenching it must have been for the Queen Mum to lose her beloved at such an early age.

"I have watched you grow up all those years with pride under the skillful direction of Mummy...who, as you know, is the most marvelous person in the world in my eyes"

This fragment touched me the most.
King George VI, resembled very much his great-grandfather and namesake, Prince Albert, didn't he?

I don't think that can be correct because various relatives of Philip, his mother and grandmother Victoria for example, his uncle Dickie and wife, cousins etc, were present at the wedding, unless invitations issued for personal friends were different.

I'm sure you are right Curryong,. Philip was royal they had numerous relations in common, Even if the majority of the people at the wedding were from the queen's side I'm sure he had permission to invite a large number..
I saw Phil once, and even as an old man, he was very handsome.. he looks wonderful at his wedding..

I really doubt that Philip was only allowed two invitations. His invitation list would have included his own family - mother, grandmother, uncles, aunts and cousins even if he wasn't allowed to invite his sisters and their families.

He also had some friends from school and navy days there as well - from the list I remember seeing in the press at the time.

Last edited:
Prince Philip certainly had plenty of family there even if not his sisters. The Mountbattans and Greeks were well represented:

-Princess Alice: his mom
-Dowager Duchess of MH: grandmother
-His Uncle George's widow Nada and her 2 kids
-Louis, his wife, 2 daughters and SIL Lord Brabourne
-Crown prince couple of Sweden- his Aunt and Uncle
-Irene of Hesse- his maternal grand aunt who was accompanied by her son Sigismund, his wife and 2 kids, as well as her widowed DIL Calixta
-Aspasia, widow of Philip's cousin Prince Alexander, accompanied by her daughter and son in law, king and queen of Yugoslavia
-Queen mother Helen of Romania, his cousin, and her son the king
-Queen Frederica, his cousin's wife, and her 3 kids
-cousin Duchess of Aosta,her husband and son
-cousin Princess Katherine and her husband Sir Brandram
-Prince George (his Uncle), his wife and 2 kids
-Princess Nicholas, widow of his Uncle, and 2 kids
-Princess Christopher, widow of his Uncle and son
-Queen Alex of Denmark (1st cousin once removed), 2 sons, 2 DIL, and 4 grandchildren
-Harald of Denmark, 1st cousin once removed, wife, 4 kids
-Prince Carl of Vastergotland (1st cousin once removed), his wife, his son Carl, DIL Elise and granddaughter Madeleine
-Dagmar, 1st cousin once r. and husband
-Princess Axel, wife of 1st cousin once r. and 2 sons
-Count Eric and Viggo Rosenberg and Viggo's wife
-Princess Rene of Bourbon-Parma and 2 kids
-Victoria Eugenie (cousin to both but closer to Philip) with Infante Juan and his wife

Family alone he had 75 invites:flowers:

Friends included Lady Georgina Kennard and her first husband Harold. The Duchesses of Abercon and Westminster are her daughters. She was close to the queen through racing (she is Andrew's godmother and daughter is William's) but her and her sister Myra were childhood friends of Philip. Their Aunt Nada (mom Zia's sister) was married to Philip's Uncle George.

Michael Parker wasn't simply a shipmate. He was Philip's private secretary and broke the news of the king's death. Story has it, he smashed the flash bulbs of the paps, after a photo call at Philip's stag party, to ensure privacy.

http://www.gettyimages.ca/pictures/...son-of-prince-andrew-of-and-picture-id3424241

I would venture to think a few of his military friends in the photo (night before) may have also attended.

Last edited:
:previous: That is a beautiful photo! HM looks very regal and elegant - I've always loved her wedding dress too.

Seen it before, but remains stunning to look at.

I am torn about her dress. I love the material and I like the style but I'm not crazy about the stars in the veil etc.

LaRae

I am torn about her dress. I love the material and I like the style but I'm not crazy about the stars in the veil etc.

LaRae
The embroidery on the ivory silk train was flowers, jasmine, smilax, lilac and white rose blossoms, embellished by white crystals and pearls.

At Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip's wedding breakfast, which was held in the white and gold supper room of Buckingham Palace, the room was decorated with pink carnations sent by the British Carnation Society. A sprig of white heather from Balmoral was placed beside each plate.

A wonderful version of Elizabeth's wedding ceremony. Some different photographs are included with footage of the choir singing wedding hymns. Why was so much of the abbey interior filmed instead of the bride?

Back
Top Bottom