Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill & Family, General News Part 3: Sept 2017 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say Chris business was just an excuse to justify them moving. To me, it's him being uncomfortable with his family being in the public eye that is the main issue here. Although Madeleine has never been comfortable either she can cope with it and has always seemed genuine in her wish to support her parents and sister. At the time of her engagement to Jonas Berglund it seemed clear, again to me, that she would be following in the footsteps of Princess Christina and combine supporting the monarch with philanthropic work.

Other than her involvement with the World Chiildhood Foundation, what kind of philanthropic work is she doing now ?

Perhaps the family already have a planned moved to Sweden in mind and have just not released any official information about it yet, or are planning to send Leonore to the Swedish school in Miami (which I presume would start at 6) as some suggested a few weeks ago here.

Stoppa pressarna about Chris's watch
Chris O'Neill's awedome luxury clock revealed
Chris O'Neill's gigantic luxury watch is not something to play with. The American wears a watch worth over SEK one million.
Stoppa pressarna has spoken to a senior clock expert who is internationally active. He gets very excited when he gets to see the watch at Chris during the National Day last year.
- This is a Rolex that no ordinary Swedish can afford, it is a Rolex Daytona vintage with acrylic glass, of the model 6240, possibly 6263, says the clock expert when he gets to see the picture where Chris proudly shows off his watch to the spectators.
The clock expert is easily excited when describing the American financier's watch.
- These models are from the 70s and 80s and can mean a value well over SEK one million, says the clock expert.
It turns out that the Rolex watch Chris wears is a real rarity.
- The watch has a manual clockwork that you pull up and a real treat for collectors. A legendary collector's clock! A clock nerd's dream, the watch expert clearly says impressed.
Chris O’Neill has clearly shown his watch in many different contexts, including in connection with a dinner at Gävle Castle 2015.
It is not a daring guess that Chris will wear the Rolex watch on our national day.
Chris O'Neills vräkiga lyxklocka avslöjad _ Stoppa Pressarna

Margareta Thorgren told to Svensk Damtidning that Chris, Leonore and Nicolas are coming to Sweden in the beginning of next week, and that Madeleine and Chris attend at the state visit from South Korea next week.
Då får vi se Chris i Sverige – medverkar på oväntade uppdraget _ Svensk Damtidning

Last edited by a moderator:
Today Margareta Thorgren told to Expressen, that Chris has come to Sweden and the couple celebrates their wedding anniversary together today.
Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris firar årsdag tillsammans

I assume the children also came with him then.

I am surprised by the news that Chris will be at the South Korean state dinner (if he in fact attends). Since he is not a member of the Royal House, I would expect Madeleine to attend alone.

Last edited:
The family has been photographed on a picnic.
ROYAL: EXKLUSIV - Happy Birthday! Picknick im Park für Geburtstagskind Nicolas

Stoppa pressarna has a video of Madeleine and Chris at restaurant Ciccio's.

The article tells that luxury Italian Ciccio's on Nybrogatan on Östermalm is a new favourite of Madeleine and Chris. It is close to the Royal Mews where they live, so they have a short way home.
The article tells about an evening Madeleine and Chris spent with their friend gang consisting of Louise "Lussan" Thott and her husband Gustav Thott and Dag and Nathalie Werner. The video is from that evening.
They sat at a large round table in the middle of the restaurant and eyewitnesses with whom Stoppa pressarna has talked told that Madeleine and Chris ordered lobster pasta that costs nearly SEK 600 for two people. When the clock approached midnight, the gang suddenly burst into spontaneous birthday song with the classic Lionel Richie hit "Happy birthday" that pounced from the speakers. Chris clapped his hands enthusiastically when he saw how the drinks were served on the table, but it was Madeleine who took the command:
- Cheers, she shouted happily.
Prinsessan Madeleines vilda spritfest med maken Chris _ Stoppa Pressarna

Princess Madeleine of Sweden features on the cover of Swedish Mama magazine together with her three children Leonore, Nicolas and Adrienne. Madeleine talks about her pregnancies & motherhood in a 44 page interview that features several new images of the family.
The princess shares how the news about her expecting Adrienne made her husband Chris turn white and say "You're pregnant? Again?!" and how she found herself 3 cm dilated at her brother's wedding fearing that her water would break any second.

The issue is in the shops on the 12th of September but the interview is already available for download.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2QicsJgQ9G/?igshid=1ics7zj1ms59f

Princess Madeleine of Sweden features on the cover of Swedish Mama magazine together with her three children Leonore, Nicolas and Adrienne. Madeleine talks about her pregnancies & motherhood in a 44 page interview that features several new images of the family.
The princess shares how the news about her expecting Adrienne made her husband Chris turn white and say "You're pregnant? Again?!" and how she found herself 3 cm dilated at her brother's wedding fearing that her water would break any second.

The issue is in the shops on the 12th of September but the interview is already available for download.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2QicsJgQ9G/?igshid=1ics7zj1ms59f

Nicolas and Leonor have always looked so much alike. But Adrienne always had her own look, and its becoming more evident as she gets older. And not just in not having their fair hair.

Have to laugh a little about Chris' shock over the new pregnancy. Like many men :lol:

Not surprised she was worried about going into active labor at the wedding. She gave birth 2 days later and you could see she was ready to pop.

I didn't realize that Madeleine was so close to giving birth when she attended her brother's wedding. Yes, she looked ready to pop any second but that she was so close... Wow, talk about close call and I can only admire her strength. I think I would have totally freaked out. And Nicolas is such a perfect gentelman and waited till the wedding was over ;)
I also had to laugh when I read about Chris's reaction. So typical of men. Its not like women get pregnant on their own :lol:

Last edited:
Bought the Mama magazine yesterday and I liked the article a lot.

The most surprising thing for me was the fact that Madeleine did not find out she was pregnant with Nicolas until she was on 13th week. She hadn't had any symptoms except that she felt tired but thought it was due to move from New York at that point.

Also, the thing where Chris got white as he thought Madeleine was pregnant did not quite go as simplified. She was going to get a puppy for the family, bought a toy dog and gave it to Chris with a note along the lines "We'll be a family of five" which Chris took as an announcement that she was pregnant. However, a couple of weeks later she found out she was pregnant and had to tell Chris that maybe they should wait with the puppy.

The interview/article at the paper issue of Mama is 15 pages long.

Svensk Damtidning has quoted the interview
Madeleine om barnen_ _De lever i sin lilla värld utan titlar_ _ Svensk Dam
Translation

[...]

It is interesting that she observes the Swedish people to be respectful of her and her children in the sense of not disturbing or taking photographs of them in public spaces, as many of us have speculated that the desire for privacy on her and/or her husbands' side may be the true reason for the family's relocation abroad.

She also remarks that the children are not aware that they are titled; presumably Leonore and Nicolas use a last name for preschool. It would be interesting to know if it is Bernadotte, O'Neill, or Bernadotte O'Neill that they use and whether it is a Swedish school or not.

It is interesting that she observes the Swedish people to be respectful of her and her children in the sense of not disturbing or taking photographs of them in public spaces, as many of us have speculated that the desire for privacy on her and/or her husbands' side may be the true reason for the family's relocation abroad.

She also remarks that the children are not aware that they are titled; presumably Leonore and Nicolas use a last name for preschool. It would be interesting to know if it is Bernadotte, O'Neill, or Bernadotte O'Neill that they use and whether it is a Swedish school or not.

The children will probably realize they are titled if they keep going to Sweden as the Court staff is likely to address them as “Your Royal Highness”, aren’t they ?

Titles are not used or recognized in the US , so they are for sure registered in their local school in Florida under a given name and a family name with no predicate. I also wonder if they use the last name O’Neill in the US,, but if their Swedish documents use Bernadotte only, that would create a conflict.

Although Prince George is known as ‘George Cambridge’ at school, his schoolmates apparently call him ‘PG’.

I’m sure there will be a similar arrangement with Leonore and Nicholas.

She also remarks that the children are not aware that they are titled;
The children will probably realize they are titled if they keep going to Sweden as the Court staff is likely to address them as “Your Royal Highness”, aren’t they ?
The problem they have in Sweden aren´t caused by the public who in general might look but don´t bother them. As we´ve seen on numerous occassions the royal family go about their daily lives largely unbothered. I don´t think we get as many "I saw the king at the pizzeria" sightings from any other royal family as we do with the Swedish one. Another proof of that is this quote from Madeleine and one from Margaretha Thorgren this summer in reply to something said by Princess Birgitta. To me the problem lies with how Chris O´Neill looks on what privacy is. He´s known to be uncomfortable with the attention from the public in their daily life and has shown a bit of an irratic behaviour towards the press - some days it´s fine while other days he threatens with a lawsuit. Quite telling the couple don´t have a deal with the press. The attention in Sweden is something that Madelein are used to and could live with but one that Chris have shown that he has great difficulties with getting used to.
Regarding the titles I highly doubt that the little ones are adressed with their titles at their age. It´s simply not done. In the olden days the girls might have been called "little miss" and the boys "the duke" but I can´t see that done today. They´re probably adressed by their first names until they reach a certain age where titles will start to be used.

Last edited:
The article was a nice read - Madeleine seemed natural and down-to-earth IMO. I liked the detail about Chris being confused about the puppy situation :D

Madeleine's split - don't know which side to choose
How do you do when your husband and children are on one side of the Atlantic and the rest of the family and the duty is on the other? A question to which Princess Madeleine has not yet found an answer.
When Princess Madeleine left Sweden for the United States in 2010 after the dramatic break-up from Jonas Bergström, most people probably thought it was just a temporary escape. But that would prove to be the last time Madeleine was permanently living in Sweden. Once in New York, she started working at the World Childhood Foundation's office and made herself more and more at home.
After just a few months in the country, Madeleine met Chris O'Neill. Chris, who was born and raised in England, has English language naturally and Madeleine's international connection was further strengthened. When it was time for a wedding in 2013, the wedding was in both Swedish and English, and Princess Madeleine's first child was born in New York.
Shortly thereafter, she and her family moved temporarily to Sweden before settling in London 2015. But it only took three years before they chose to move back to the United States, this time to Florida.
The criticism of Princess Madeleine
It has not been a painless choice for Princess Madeleine to move across the Atlantic and only come home a few times a year. The criticism has been hard at times and Madeleine has shown several times that she herself feels divided over the situation.
Should she go home to the Nobel party or stay home with her children? The choice is not easy, especially when the rest of the family at home in Sweden goes to assignment after assignment. At every event and every official appearance where the whole royal family is expected to appear, the question will always be whether Madeleine will be present and in most cases the answer will be no.
This summer, when Madeleine was in Sweden for an extended period, she took the opportunity to show herself as much as possible. Book signing, National Day celebration, a banquet at the Palace, visits to the organizations My Big Day and Masktosbarn and the traditional celebration of her big sister in Öland were done before Madeleine and the family returned to the United States.
The latest proof of Madeleine's dilemma was when she suddenly changed language in her posts on Instagram, from English to Swedish, and then switched to English again.
At the time of writing, Princess Madeleine has 217,000 followers on Instagram, and the first post was published in March 2018. She has since written in English with the exception of a few posts about Childhood and the book "Stella och hemligheten".
But after staying in Sweden, Swedish instead became the main language on the Princess's Instagram, right up to the invitation to followers to donate money to Unicef ​​and the Red Cross after the storm in the Bahamas. Understandably of course to reach as many people as possible. But most people who comment on her posts seem to come from Sweden. The question is whether the princess will continue to update in Swedish in the future in order to have a better relationship with her Swedish followers or English in order to gain a wider audience? Continuation follows, simply…
Madeleines splittring – vet inte vilken sida hon ska välja _ Svensk Dam

Last edited:
Expressen quotes Svensk Damtidning's paywall interview with Madeleine on 12th September in New York.

During the month of July-August last year , Princess Madeleine and family moved into an eight-room house in a leafy villa area in Miami, Florida.
It was the latest in a series of moves.
Since the princess met Chris O'Neill in 2010, the couple has lived in four different locations: New York, London, Stockholm and now Florida.
And there may be more moves in the future.
This is what Svensk Damtidning writes, which met with Princess Madeleine in New York for a board meeting with the World Childhood Foundation on September 12. When asked if the family plans to stay in Florida, she answers:
- Right now it works great, the kids are happy in school and it's easier for Chris, because the people he works with are also in Miami, but we probably won't be there for ever.
The princess does not reveal where she wants to live in the future - but says she longs for Sweden. A recurring destination in the home country is Öland, where the family often congregates in the summers.
- It's wonderful to be able to come home to Sweden. It is clear that I long for home to Sweden, and to family and friends, at the same time I also see the opportunity to focus on Swedish issues here. I hope that I can highlight Sweden more in the US now that I live here, says Princess Madeleine.
She also says that what she prioritizes right now is being a mother. She feels that "these toddler years are important".
But that Princess Madeleine is based in Florida and focuses on her mother role is nothing that will stop her from working remotely for the World Childhood Foundation. She says it is easy to travel up to New York now and then, including for board meetings.
She is a member of the board of the foundation in Sweden since 2016, and is an honorary member of the board of directors in the USA.
The Princess and Chris O'Neill's children came relatively close. "It just became so", she tells to Svensk Damtidning - and at the same time gets the question if the couple wants more children:
- Well, that's quite right how it is with three.
Madde om Florida_ ”Blir inte kvar för all framtid”

Svensk Damtidning's article about Madeleine's "extra mum" in USA, Åsa-Lena Lööf, who attended also at the 10th anniversary celebration of the Church of Sweden in Florida last weekend with Madeleine.

Mom Silvia is 800 miles away, but Princess Madeleine has solved the babysitting problem differently - she has an extra mom!
Being a three-year-old mother in Florida, 800 miles from the royal family and having a hard-working financier to husband - is no easy match.
But Princess Madeleine has solved the problem and found support, up close. We can reveal that the children Princess Leonore, Prince Nicolas and Princess Adrienne have had an extra-grandmother: Silvia's friend Åsa-Lena Lööf.
Madeleine and Åsa-Lena, who is in her 70s, have a very close relationship, yes so close that our informant even describe her as Princess Madeleine's extra mother!
Åsa-Lena Lööf was previously chairman of SWEA International. She is married to Per Olof Lööf, who is honorary consul in Florida, which means he heads the consulate, which is also responsible for all Princess Madeleine's official transports.
The family has two children, twins John and Calle, 35, and have lived for many years in a magnificent terracotta-colored house in Hillsboro Beach in southern Florida.
Åsa-Lena is close to Queen Silvia and they also spend time in private. Before Princess Madeleine moved to Miami, the queen always stayed with the Lööf family when she was in town.
It was also in the Löö'fs family garden that the World Childhood Foundation had a big glamorous charity dinner in 2011, with Queen Silvia and Princess Madeleine among the guests and American Josh Groban on stage.
Princess Madeleine can safely leave her children to Åsa-Lena Lööf. She is a remedial teacher and has a degree in pedagogy and psychology. And she was the principal of the Swedish school in London for many years.
Madeleines extramamma i Florida _ Svensk Dam

Margareta Thorgren to Svensk Damtidning:
- Princess Madeleine comes to Stockholm and attends the delivery of the Childhood Prize on 9th December. She stays for the Nobel Prize and Lucia celebrations, but then she flies back to Florida again.
So she stays only a few days?
- Yes, she is coming here alone, without her family. Chris O'Neill and the children stay in Miami.
https://www.svenskdam.se/kungligt/besked-fran-hovet-sa-lange-stannar-prinsessan-madeleine-i-sverige/

Margareta Thorgren to Svensk Damtidning:
- Princess Madeleine comes to Stockholm and attends the delivery of the Childhood Prize on 9th December. She stays for the Nobel Prize and Lucia celebrations, but then she flies back to Florida again.
So she stays only a few days?
- Yes, she is coming here alone, without her family. Chris O'Neill and the children stay in Miami.
https://www.svenskdam.se/kungligt/besked-fran-hovet-sa-lange-stannar-prinsessan-madeleine-i-sverige/

The children's new status as no longer HRHs means, at least under the Court's legal interpretation, that they no longer have to be raised in Sweden or have a Swedish education. Acccordingly, I expect them to be in Sweden less frequently in the future. I think they will keep the summer vacation at Solliden (until they are in their teens probably) and occasional attendances at family events like weddings and perhaps funerals, but that will be pretty much it as far as their Swedish appearances are concerned.

So they don't spend Christmas with Madeleine's family?

So they don't spend Christmas with Madeleine's family?
Some years they do and some years they don't. They celebrated Christmas in Sweden last year.

Last edited:
Some years they do and some years they don't. They celebrated Christmas in Sweden last year.

From what I have understood in the past, Princess Madeleine has come for the Nobel Prize, gone back to her family, and then returned to Sweden around December 20th with Chris and children for Queen Silvia's birthday and for Christmas Eve. In the past, they have flown to be with Chris family on Christmas Day or Boxing day.

Svensk Damtidning:
In the royal calendar are no events for Madeleine and on her private Instagram account it is quiet as in the grave. The questions about what this spring will look like for the Florida Princess are many but so far we have not received any answers.
Madeleine and Chris moved to Miami in August 2018 and since then the princess has been keen to give the Swedes an insight into her new, American, everyday life. Among other things, we have seen pictures of when Leonore performs in a ballerina skirt at a dance performance and at when the siblings swim in the family's large pool.
But now it's been a long time since we got to see any Instagram picture of the kids. And some wonder if it may have something to do with the king's decision to shrink the royal family on titles. At the beginning of October, the decision came that neither Carl Philip's nor Madeleine's children will no longer carry the titles Royal Highness.
Also, we know that the princess family loves to spend their weekends at Faena Miami Beach, which is a beach club that both children and adults love. There are "pool-butlers", offering first-class service, and you can catch a glimpse of the Hollywood couple Kim Kardashian and Kanye West, who live right next door.
Chris works a lot from home, in the big office with multiple computer screens, and Madeleine works with Childhood's various charity projects. What the 2020 Childhood calendar looks like for Princess Madeleine, has not yet been communicated. We also do not know when she will come to Sweden next time.
Most likely, however, is that she comes home when her best friend Louise (Lussan) Thott baptizes her newborn son Alexis.
Prinsessan Madeleines frånvaro väcker frågor _ Svensk Dam

Article in Svensk Damtidning
Princess Madeleine has not made an official visit to her duchies in five years. This has led some to be disappointed.
Princess Madeleine's role as Duchess has been disputed. When she, as a newborn, was given the honorable title, she was celebrated in Gästrikland and Hälsingland - but in recent years it has not been the same joy.
Madeleine has not been on an official visit to Gävleborg County since 2015. She and her husband Chris O'Neill regularly visit Sweden during the summers, but usually stay with Solliden.
TV and radio journalist Lars Ragnar Forssberg grew up in Hudiksvall and has written chronicles for the whole of Hälsingland. He is disappointed that Madeleine was not seen more often in her duchies.
- She neglecting her work. If you are a duchess, then you have certain obligations. She should be able to feel herself that she should contribute more, says Lars.
Lars thinks that the people of Gästrikland and Hälsingland share his view.
- People think that if she has this title, she should show up. We can compare with Prince Daniel and Crown Princess Victoria, who take on their roles as duke and duchess considerably more decent, he says.
Also Leif Eriksson, former channel manager at P4 Gävleborg and now program manager at P4 Plus, has experienced a popular dissatisfaction that Madeleine is so rarely present and represents her role as Duchess.
- They miss it. I remember how it was in Gästrikland and Hälsingland when the king announced that she would be Duchess here, it was a huge joy. And when she's been here people have been very proud, so it's very sad that she hasn't come here since then, says Leif.
Leif emphasizes that the county residents like Madeleine and that all of her visits have been big folk parties.
- She is an important symbol. It was a hopeful message that she would become a Duchess, because then Gävleborg County was an exposed area with high unemployment, he says.
- It can mean a lot to the county if she visits again.
Prinsessan Madeleine får kritik_ _Missköter_ _ Svensk Dam

I suppose it wouldn't be too much to ask if she visits once a summer with her children once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom