Prince William's Service in the Royal Air Force

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 3m
We've just been told that an announcement on all the details about Prince William's career is to be made soon.

Royal Central is making me laugh today! Soon was last year!

The news here this morning is reporting that he has said he will be leaving Anglessey at the end of September in his speech in Wales today and that means some announcement about his future from October will have to be made in the next 6 weeks (so by the middle of my next school holidays we will know the next stage of William's llife). He also told some Aussies in the crowd that they hoped to tour Down Under next year as well.

Yeah, I think we will get an official announcement soon.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 12h
We're told that this week will be Prince William's last week in the RAF and Anglesey.

:previous: Could be but I am sure the Royal Watchers on-site would have been speculating if they had seen any sign that the Cambridge's were moving house from Angelsey.

:previous: Could be but I am sure the Royal Watchers on-site would have been speculating if they had seen any sign that the Cambridge's were moving house from Angelsey.

We've known it was coming though. That's why their last engagements have been characterized as a way to say farewell and thank you to the residents of Angelsey for the hospitality they've experienced there.

Oh boy, what a can of worms this is. Much as I would like William to continue with another SAR posting, perhaps at a base near Sandringham, where William and Kate have been given--and I use the term given loosely. Unless HMTQ has actually given them legal title/ownership of Anmer Hall, its just another rental property, akin to Apt.1A at Kensington Palace--I would like William to spend more time than he has of late with his wife and, now, child. Much as a posting with the Blues and Royals in London sounds like a better option, this particular branch of the army holds the unofficial title of the Booze and Royals. It tends to be cluttered with landed gentry and second sons of the nobility--the louche crowd, the Andrew Parker-Bowles sort. I don't think William would prefer this over a second posting to the RAF, nor do I think it would do much for his marriage.

So I vote, reluctantly, for a second, and last, posting to another RAF/SAR base, reasonably close to Kate and George. And I would hope that HMTQ and the POW would back off and permit William, Kate and George to become a real--a Royal first--family.

I would further hope that William would learn from this quandary and ensure a new template for George. Okay, maybe poor George will have to go to Sandhurst, but why on earth must he have a military career when so many other careers beckon.

Further to the last, its never too soon to set up a thread having to do with the education of George. I would, and I have a few ideas, but I don't know how--I am a computer idiot.

For those of you who may think it heresy that George would not have a career in the military, given that he may one day become Head of the Armed Forces, I would suggest that this requirement, in the eyes of the British public, may well have seen its day 20 years hence. IF the British monarchy is to survive, and I do think there is a legitimate IF, William must think outside the box.

Addendum. I have no sympathy for the notion that William and Kate should be expected to pick up the slack for an ageing Queen and her even older Consort. Their ideas are passé. THEY are passé.

Personally, I think there's something timeless about the notion of duty and sacrifice, which is what the Queen has stood for her entire life, and I think when that is combined with a desire to actively do good in the world and to use your privilege to help people, there's a lot of value there.

I imagine that William and Kate will find their place, and so will George. And personally, I think they are preparing to take up full time royal duties, and that's why the career announcement has been such a long time coming.

Addendum. I have no sympathy for the notion that William and Kate should be expected to pick up the slack for an ageing Queen and her even older Consort. Their ideas are passé. THEY are passé.

Personally, I think there's something timeless about the notion of duty and sacrifice, which is what the Queen has stood for her entire life, and I think when that is combined with a desire to actively do good in the world and to use your privilege to help people, there's a lot of value there.

I imagine that William and Kate will find their place, and so will George. And personally, I think they are preparing to take up full time royal duties, and that's why the career announcement has been such a long time coming.

Please note that off topic posts (i.e. William/Catherine's workload, George and his parent's involvement in his up bringing, etc) have been deleted.

Last edited:
Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 1h
Prince William's time as an RAF search and rescue pilot has come to an end. It's not yet in the public domain what he's going to do next.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 2h
Via The Sun, Prince William has flown his last Search & Rescue mission in RAF Valley & is set to announce his next career step this week

Peter Hunt ‏@BBCPeterHunt 52m
Prince William's last shift as an operational captain at RAF Valley on Anglesey was on Tuesday. He started his training there in Jan 2010.

Prince William completes last shift as RAF search and rescue pilot-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-24049779

Last edited:
It's just strange to me that an announcement hasn't yet been made and will be made AFTER he's left Anglesey. Why the secrecy? What's the big deal? Is he taking time off between posts? I would've expected a quick, one-line press release back in the Spring if it was really not a big deal and he were switching over to Blues and Royals in London. Sort of odd IMO.

@windosrgirl I second that; it is indeed odd that William has not yet released a statement as to what his next plans are.

I suspect, without a leg to stand on, that there may be some in-fighting going on behind closed doors.

:previous: Why do people always suspect a 'fighting' first?
Why does our mind has such an affinity for negativity..

Probably details, arrangements and plans being hammered out behind closed doors.

Or possibly William likes to keep things close to his chest and until everything is in order, we don't need to know.

Its stuff like this and the issue of Lupo's name and probably various other incidents that make me think he's not in any way, shape or form going to be a puppet on a string for the press. He'll be in control.

Wise man.

Or possibly William likes to keep things close to his chest and until everything is in order, we don't need to know.

Its stuff like this and the issue of Lupo's name and probably various other incidents that make me think he's not in any way, shape or form going to be a puppet on a string for the press. He'll be in control.

Wise man.

Absolutely! He'll do things his own way in regards to the press, and other aspects of his (and his family's) life. He's indeed wise, because he understands that no one, except himself, and Catherine should be making choices that involve the privacy of themselves, and their children. The press will need to play by his rules, whether they like it or not.

I admire William for the way he handles these things. I am sure the decision was made some time ago - but his decisions impact many other people along with his family. Other peoples lives and logistics are involved and quite frankly there was no need to tell the public just to satisfy their curiosity. Also, once he announced his decision, it would be dissected in the press and there is no way anyone other than his inner circle would have enough information to make a fair judgment, nor would he release information that factored into his decision. I believe William is a man who is well aware of his responsibilities and the implications of his decisions.

Absolutely! He'll do things his own way in regards to the press, and other aspects of his (and his family's) life. He's indeed wise, because he understands that no one, except himself, and Catherine should be making choices that involve the privacy of themselves, and their children. The press will need to play by his rules, whether they like it or not.

If the press turn on them because of this they may find out that it would have been better to be more amenable, and open, as the press is needed for the PR - no PR can be done without the press and there is already a number of people who have turned on them - not the press exactly but there are some stories that aren't exactly supportive of them already and if that grows there could be trouble.

They could lose a lot by their attitude.

At some point the press will turn against William and Kate no matter what they do or don't do, just as it has turned against various other members of the royal family over the years, (and then turned back again). If nothing else it will turn on them in fifteen or so years for the sin of being unexciting and middle aged instead of young and fresh. The Cambridges could bend over backwards trying to accommodate the press in every way possible and this will still happen.

Better to establish rules and boundaries that will serve them well as a family regardless of how popular they happen to be with the very fickle media.

No doubt he must feel sad about this, but it seems an inevitable decision given the age of many of the senior royals.

BBC News - Prince William to leave armed forces
Prince William to leave armed forces

Prince William to leave military after more than seven years of service to focus on royal duties and charity work

Well there we have it. No desk job and totally leaving the armed forces to be a full time royal. Have to really believe this one is credible as its on the BBC news site.

Can't say I'm surprised. For some reason I could never picture William sitting behind a desk as a full time job. :)

Well there we have it. No desk job and totally leaving the armed forces to be a full time royal. Have to really believe this one is credible as its on the BBC news site.

Can't say I'm surprised. For some reason I could never picture William sitting behind a desk as a full time job. :)

From the BBC website:

"Prince William is currently considering a number of options for public service, the palace said, with a further announcement to follow in due course."

So this may mean that he may still take on some sort of public role in addition to his royal duties.

I had a feeling this was coming for a long time and that no career announcement was made so they could continue to be private for as long as possible

I am a bit surprised; I thought he'd stay in the military and transfer to a different branch.

HRH The Duke of Cambridge to leave operational service in the Armed Forces:
HRH The Duke of Cambridge to leave operational service in the Armed Forces

I have always said that the younger royals will have to step up their official duties and the Cambridge's are doing so. God bless them.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 1h
Just to stress, William's announcement today is not about him becoming a full time working royal yet.

Last edited:
He is not taking on full time royal duties.

Kensington Palace said in a statement: “His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge is to leave operational service in the Armed Forces.
“He completes his Tour with the Royal Air Force Search and Rescue Force at RAF Valley, Anglesey, after more than seven-and-a-half years of full-time military service.

“He will continue to support the work of The Queen and the Royal Family through a programme of official engagements, both at home and overseas, with The Duchess of Cambridge. The Duke will work closely over the next twelve months with the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

“He will expand his work in the field of conservation, particularly in respect of endangered species. The Duke will continue to work with his charities on issues relating to children and young people, veterans and serving members of the Armed Forces.

“The Duke is currently considering a number of options for public service, a further announcement on which will follow in due course.”

According to the Palace the Duke made up his mind a couple of months ago but chose not to make any announcement until after the birth of Prince George.
A spokesman said: “It is quite a transitional year for him. He enjoyed himself immensely at RAF Valley. Now he wants to consider his options for public service going forward.

“The Queen has fully approved the decision. However it is not him taking on full-time royal duties. He will do those duties as he normally does, and will support the Queen and other members of the Royal Family.

He is not taking on full time royal duties.

Kensington Palace said in a statement: “The Queen has fully approved the decision. However it is not him taking on full-time royal duties. He will do those duties as he normally does, and will support the Queen and other members of the Royal Family.

Aaah, clear as mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom