The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-15-2021, 10:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
I'm in the opinion that Catherine had a hand in making that cake with some "participation" from the kids.

But it's not impossible for a kid at George's age to bake. There's this TV Show called Masterchef Junior, one of the youngest winner was 9 years old girl. In on season, an 8 years old girl managed to reach the big 4. Seriously, some of those kids are better cook than me.
I hope it was William rather than Catherine assisting with the cake. If following a recipe to make a cake is beyond William's capacity, my husband was very fond of using boxed cake mixes. Also, I have no doubt the children helped make the cake, as George helped make Christmas pudding two years ago.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:45 AM
Royal Highness

You are very right. It might as well been William who did the baking with the children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I hope it was William rather than Catherine assisting with the cake. If following a recipe to make a cake is beyond William's capacity, my husband was very fond of using boxed cake mixes. Also, I have no doubt the children helped make the cake, as George helped make Christmas pudding two years ago.

Old 03-15-2021, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Of course the kids did not bake the "whole" cake by themselves. But they surely helped mix the eggs, sugar, flour, etc...While the decoration was done by an adult.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post

Considering the past year that we've all experienced, I wouldn't be surprised if William's baking skills have improved.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
So, with the emphasis on the first 'pa', just like we do. Thanks.
It's more like Pa-PAH and Ma-MAH, like in Pride and Prejudice as you said. It's usually only used by upper-class families, but even they'd generally changed to Mother and Father by the mid 20th century and Mum and Dad by the late 20th century. It just surprised me that the Cambridge children would use it, because it's so unusual now.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It's more like Pa-PAH and Ma-MAH, like in Pride and Prejudice as you said. It's usually only used by upper-class families, but even they'd generally changed to Mother and Father by the mid 20th century and Mum and Dad by the late 20th century. It just surprised me that the Cambridge children would use it, because it's so unusual now.
If it's what George VI (and George V and Edward VII) said, and Elizabeth and Philip said, and Charles said, and William said (and we know Harry has used "Pa" and George has used "Pops" on occasion), why is it so unusual for his children? You generally go with what you know. Not to mention they are royalty and a little different, after all. Or it might only be Charlotte who does it, and George still sticks to "Pops".
Old 03-15-2021, 01:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just because a child never met one of his grandmothers, it doesn't mean that they aren't very real to them. How many children identify so easily with fictional characters such as Elsa or Ariel or Peter Pan? If the parent keeps the memory alive of their mother with their children, that person can and does become very real to them.
My kids are right at George & Charlotte's ages, and they started last year asking a lot of questions about where my grandparents are, and where my brother is (all three passed away a long time ago). Their curiosity is natural, and I talk often about my brother because of their questions. If there was such a thing as 'Uncle's day' in my country, I could absolutely see my kids wanting to make cards about their deceased Uncle.

Their "Granny Diana" was one of the most famous women in the Western World in the 80's and 90's, and by all accounts, William loved her dearly. It would be very odd to me if William didn't talk about her to his children, and strange if his family never acknowledged her absence in their lives.

[What we don't know (because the Middletons prefer a more private life) is whether they also made cards for Grandma Carole. I would guess that they did, and wanted to make cards for both of their grandmothers.]

If George and Charlotte attend the statue unveiling this Summer, I think it's also a good idea to not make that event the very first time George and Charlotte publicly acknowledge Diana's absence in their lives. That day will likely be very overwhelming enough with the press and public.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:10 AM
Majesty

In Downton Abbey Master George, the heir hears his maternal grandmother speak of the Dowager Countess, his great-grandmother as Granny Violet.
It is nice that the two grandmothers of Prince George, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis have two different titles: Grandma Carole and Granny Diana.
Would you prefer Prince Louis to call one of the grandmothers Grandmama?
Old 03-16-2021, 05:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Remember too that the kid's name for Queen Elizabeth II is "Gan-Gan". That started with George, I believe.
Old 03-16-2021, 07:58 AM
Royal Highness

Didn't the greatgrandchildren call the Queen Mother that?
Old 03-16-2021, 08:27 AM
Serene Highness

Gangan is what royal great-grandchildren call their great-grandmother going back to Queen Victoria.

P.S.
Granny is what most royal grandchildren call their grandmother going back to Queen Mary if not further. One cute exception being that William calls/called his monarch grandmother Gary.
Old 03-16-2021, 08:33 AM
Royal Highness

What is Charles to them then? Phillip?
Old 03-16-2021, 10:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
What is Charles to them then? Phillip?
Charles is "Grandpa Wales", apparently. Philip is "Grandpa" to William and Harry, but I don't know about George and company. "Old Pops" would be funny.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:35 AM
Courtier

Frankly, I can understand why some posters feel that the posting of the cards might have been a bit intrusive but I think it's a lovely gesture to remember that days like Mother's Day and Father's Day and even Grandparent's Day are tough days for a lot of people for various reasons. I suspect that cards for William remembering Granny Diana started out as a thoughtful gesture on Kate's part when George was small and given the events of the past year, all of the events not just COVID, it was thought to be a good time to share this family tradition. I've no doubt at all that for the Cambridge children, Granny Diana is very, very real given that William himself has shared that he speaks about her often with the children. I don't know, of course, but I suspect that with children that age it might often take the form of "of course I miss her very much but she's always watching over us and she'd be very proud of all of you" much as it is in many of our own families.

As for the cake, as a mother of three and two of those have enjoyed being in the kitchen since they were very, very small, I've no doubt at all that with a bit of adult help and supervision that cake could easily have been created by George and Charlotte. The icing on top may certainly have been a part of that adult help but the majority of it could very much have been done by them, along with letting Louis stir or lick the spoon or help put on the decorations. This is particularly true when both Kate and William have spoken often about being in the kitchen cooking with the children.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:26 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Cambridge kids are adorable - the cards they wrote to Granny Diana on Mother's Day were very sweet. It is lovely to see that William has ensured his Mother's memory is being carried on with his children.

It is important for the Cambridge kids to know that they have Granny Carole and Granny Diana

I can see the children attending the unveiling of the statue of Diana at Kensington Palace in July

Old 03-17-2021, 11:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
The Cambridge kids are adorable - the cards they wrote to Granny Diana on Mother's Day were very sweet. It is lovely to see that William has ensured his Mother's memory is being carried on with his children.

It is important for the Cambridge kids to know that they have Granny Carole and Granny Diana

I can see the children attending the unveiling of the statue of Diana at Kensington Palace in July
The children would also bring the tension for the family members at the event down a notch and give the press something to focus on other than the state of the relationship between William and Harry.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:20 AM
Serene Highness

Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis have reportedly started to learn horse-riding and excited for rides at Windsor and Balmoral with The Queen (if lockdown restrictions ease). The Cambridge children are apparently "trotting about on their first ponies". Here is some sections of The Sunday Times article.

Quote:
The Queen’s passion for horses has spanned more than 90 years — and she will soon have some new riding companions. Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis are trotting about on their first ponies.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s children have become avid riders in recent months, practising their skills at their home in Norfolk, where they have spent much of the lockdown. The Queen, 94, who has continued riding her fell ponies during lockdown, is understood to be taking a close interest in her great-grandchildren’s progress in the saddle.

When the lockdown eases, George, 7, Charlotte, 5, and Louis, 2, are expected to join “Gan Gan”, as they call her, for rides at Windsor and Balmoral in the summer.

The Cambridge children are understood to have been keen on having their own ponies for some time. Charlotte’s enthusiasm was evident on her first day at Thomas’s school, Battersea, in southwest London, in 2019, when she sported a unicorn charm on her school bag. George is previously reported to have taken riding lessons on a Shetland pony belonging to Prince William’s cousin, Zara Tindall.

William, 38, and Kate, 39, are keen for their children to learn to ride, with the proviso that they should take a “hands-on” approach, helping with the grooming and mucking-out.

The ponies are thought to have eased the children’s sadness over the death of Lupo, their cocker spaniel. “He has been at the heart of our family for the past nine years and we will miss him so much,” William and Kate wrote in an Instagram post after Lupo died in November.

William, an accomplished horseman who regularly fox-hunted before the ban came into force in 2005, and still plays polo for charity events, is said to be “thrilled” his children are enjoying a hobby that he and the Duke of Sussex shared as children. The Prince of Wales and the late Diana, Princess of Wales took William and Harry riding at Highgrove, Charles’s Gloucestershire home.
George, Louis and Charlotte trot in Queen’s four footsteps
Kate and William’s children are joining an illustrious pony club
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/8...bb5990a108eb93

I managed to keep a copy of the full article without subscription nor free trial. Please PM me if you are interested
Old 03-28-2021, 10:24 AM
Aristocracy

we know that the Cambridges took and probably still take advise from psychologists about the upbringing of their children, which I think is a very mature sort of thing!
And beside all the things already mentioned here, do not forget the kids will one day have to deal with not only the positive aspects about Diana but the negative, too. especially what the press was writing, the desastrous interviews....
it is surely a good thing that by then the three have built a stable relationship to her in their minds&hearts to be able to cope with all this upcoming and maybe overwhelming stuff. Charles is still there, but to deal with the "heritage " of a dead person can be a big deal for a child and as soon as they have access to google there is no limits.
so I think itnis not only a emotional thing for W&K, but very wise, too, to deal with the character Diana. No one knows when Charles will be King and how old the Cambridge children are then and surely the whole thing and Camilla's position will again be discussed in the media....
I appreciate very much how those two seem to have and follow a masterplan to bring up their children!
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 PM
Nobility

A store owner on the Kings Road shares this on her twitter:
Quote:
Alexa
@lexif1980
Replying to
@randomwalker23 and @RoyalCrown___

I wasn’t there but she talked to my team, the kids had a budget that they stuck to and paid for their own things with their own money. Just normal well brought up children and a normal parent trying to do the right thing and that’s just lovely!

4:39 AM · Apr 20, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/lexif1980/status...60312556195843

Seems like George and Charlotte are getting a lesson or two about money early.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

A photo has been released to mark Prince Louis' 3rd Birthday tomorrow:

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...512053248?s=20

Taken earlier this week by The Duchess before he left for his first day of nursery, The Duke and Duchess are pleased to share a new image of Prince Louis.