Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing that Catherine can't speak in public - was this ever true? I found the message re nurses rather touching and her voice and manner quite nice to listen to. Generally, I do have some trouble making words out when listening to foreign languages, so I prefer reading whenever possible but here, I got every word with zero effort, really none at all.

I keep hearing that Catherine can't speak in public - was this ever true? I found the message re nurses rather touching and her voice and manner quite nice to listen to. Generally, I do have some trouble making words out when listening to foreign languages, so I prefer reading whenever possible but here, I got every word with zero effort, really none at all.

Who says she cna't speak in public? It was said of Diana for many years that she was not good at public speaking and indeed for many years Diana hardly did speak at all. But I dont know of anyone saying this of Kate.

Who says she cna't speak in public? It was said of Diana for many years that she was not good at public speaking and indeed for many years Diana hardly did speak at all. But I dont know of anyone saying this of Kate.
I'm not sure. It was a forum I saw by chance, in the beginning of Meghan's time in the RF. Now I realize it was the almighty Kate vs Meghan thing. I wasn't this interested and didn't read further but I spotted it in a few other places later - how superior Meghan's language and general speaking skills were, how fluent she was when speaking Spanish and so on compared to Kate. It was a slight interest because I don't conflate speaking a foreign language with confidence with actually having a rich vocabulary and mastery of it. The Lord knows I can barely say my own name in English. But that was the general gist in many places, in true let's insult Kate vein. I was curious because I can't speak in public either and from these comments, it looked like Kate was even worse than me. But I didn't see anything like this in this video. As I said, I was really impressed how I made out all the words effortlessly.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. It was a forum I saw by chance, in the beginning of Meghan's time in the RF. Now I realize it was the almighty Kate vs Meghan thing. I wasn't this interested and didn't read further but I spotted it in a few other places later - how superior Meghan's language and general speaking skills were, how fluent she was when speaking Spanish and so on compared to Kate. It was a slight interest because I don't conflate speaking a foreign language with confidence with actually having a rich vocabulary and mastery of it. The Lord knows I can barely say my own name in English. But that was the general gist in many places, in true let's insult Kate vein.

She is supposed to be quite shy by nature and apparently doesn't love public speaking but it's clear she's learned how to do it well in the last 10 years. I think some of her early speeches were quite stilted as she practiced on the job, but now I think she comes across well.

There was definitely some Kate vs Meghan and I participated in that when I hoped Meghan was going to be a real asset - because she was used to learning lines and coming across naturally and clearly wasn't shy and used to small talking and networking etc. Oops.

Last edited:
I think K certainly DID have people saying she wasn't good at public speaking.. that she sounded "too posh and cut glass", that she wasn't fluent, that she flipped her hair and looked at her notes too much etc.
but I dont think anyone said she really couldn't do it. Whereas Diana really hardly siad anything for a few years.. she had to make a big effort to learn to speak well in public....

Yes, but Catherine is now 10 years into being a part of the BRF and Duchess of Cambridge. With my whole heart full of sympathy and understanding, she was not great at the beginning - she had to learn a lot. Here's her first speech and you could see she was struggling a bit:

But she learned. She has put the time and effort into public speaking and it shows. She will never be the most natural or charismatic public speaker, but she sounds good and clear and sincere and gets the message across.

Here's a video of the Duke and Duchess from the visit to North Lanarkshire

Cooking at the café kitchen at the Palace of Holyroodhouse

And my favourite so far today Producing Music and reaction ;)

Last edited:
Thank you, Fem! Yes, in this video she's struggling and it shows. I expected something much worse. Seems I've been reading the wrong posts. She just seemed shy and had a soft voice, IMO. She wanted to do it right, so she consulted her notes constantly. Yes, she wasn't this confident but it endeared her to me since I'm the same. Then again, I would have probably turned and fled right before the speech.

Thanks for the video of Turning Point, I know addiction services have been struggling to provide enough help in the pandemic.

They're getting a bit more fun and informal with their instagram descriptions:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPRPGDulS4s/

That's what I thought so. Sure it's more "fun", but is it the right way to do it? I mean, they are supposed to highlight what the charities do, not what they (the Cambridges) are doing. So wouldn't it better at least to mention some information about the charities they visit: what is it, what they (the charities) do for the community instead of something like "hey, I visit this place today and I have fun there".

You can definitely tell their social media manager used to work for the Sussexes. It has a feel like their page used to be. Not the same but similar...

That's what I thought so. Sure it's more "fun", but is it the right way to do it? I mean, they are supposed to highlight what the charities do, not what they (the Cambridges) are doing. So wouldn't it better at least to mention some information about the charities they visit: what is it, what they (the charities) do for the community instead of something like "hey, I visit this place today and I have fun there".

I believe they were still at Turning Point Scotland during the "music video" and the previous post had a lot of information and praise for the charity. I do think they have to strike a balance and not be too jokey but they did get the serious info out there as well.

You can definitely tell their social media manager used to work for the Sussexes. It has a feel like their page used to be. Not the same but similar...

Yes. I also think Victoria O'Byrne has a lot to do with the relaunch as well. I'm also grateful to whoever realised that they spent the whole of the first lockdown crammed in opposite a door and moved them over a bit.

Last edited:
I believe they were still at Turning Point Scotland during the "music video" and the previous post had a lot of information and praise for the charity. I do think they have to strike a balance and not be too jokey but they did get the serious info out there as well.

I think as long as they strike a balance, which in this case they did IMO, they’ll be fine.

I like the humor. I suspect a lot of people need some humor these days too. It’s been a long year. It’s good that they can laugh at themselves- and each other IMO.

A light hearted article about the Cambridges cooking with members of the Sikh community who prepare meals for vulnerable families:

The Duchess of Cambridge has revealed how much she loves cooking curry – but the Duke complained that the dishes were too hot for him.
The couple tried their hand at making chapatis with a Sikh community group in Edinburgh on Monday – with mixed results – before helping box up curry and rice for delivery to vulnerable families.
"I love curry… not too spicy," the Duke said.
When his wife was asked whether she made curry at home, she replied: "Yes, I love it." The Duke laughed and said: "She likes a bit of spice. I'm not too good with spice."

https://archive.ph/xcw16

Their new social media is tragic I am sorry but there was no information whatsoever on the people they met, why they met them, what the charity do etc (for the Turning Point, it looks like they changed and managed for Sikh Sanjog)... The train tour was much better when it comes to actual substance and really struck the perfect balance between information/cute moment on social media. There is also no consistency between Twitter and IG. I hope they get it right for the next tour because this is really not working. Also, was the YT channel only for the Hold still phone call? They didn't repost the Nursing Now address that Catherine did, nothing from the past few days for William etc It is really bizarre. Also they need to stop deleting and reposting! Just edit!

Last edited:
I believe they were still at Turning Point Scotland during the "music video" and the previous post had a lot of information and praise for the charity. (...)

I've seen couple of fan accounts make better (informative and fun captions) post than KP just few minutes after (if not before) KP post it using what they got from RR social media.

Most (if not all) of the engagement are planned so they know where they'll go, what they'll do, and who they'll meet beforehand. They can prepare the draft of the captions (all basic information: what, who, where) and someone can proof-read it first, so if they need to post real time, once the photos of the engagement are available they can just copy-paste it (make some correction or add tidbit from the engagement if necessary). Their deleting-reposting (particularly on twitter) is unnecessary and avoidable (it's embarrassing and unprofessional).

That's what I did for my field report/paperworks when I still worked in the field. Pre-filled all known information so I could just add what I got later, hence less time to spend in the field post-job and less silly mistake such as typo on the header etc (since it's pre-filled and checked beforehand).

Last edited:

not sure where you've seen this but there's plenty of videos of kate speaking in public out there. her recorded videos also show a very confident catherine.

It's interesting the plaque at the hospital opening refers to them as "Their Graces The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge " and not " Their Royal Highnesses" anyone know why?

It's interesting the plaque at the hospital opening refers to them as "Their Graces The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge " and not " Their Royal Highnesses" anyone know why?

Possibly because of this:
Yes, so it's quite funny how both the title of that video and people in Scotland are addressing him as "Your Grace". :rolleyes:

Edit: Wikipedia comes through. ""Your Grace" is also an alternative style for the Archbishops of Canterbury and York in the Church of England and the Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland".

So it does have to do with this specific role.

More wiki: "When the Princess Royal was appointed in 1996, she was styled as "Her Grace" for the duration rather than her normal dynastic style "Her Royal Highness" because the Lord High Commissioner is ranked higher in the order of precedence."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom