Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 7: September 2016-September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
of course they are but I'm sure a lot of parents are struggling. They have full time jobs, they don't have help at home, or maybe they have no aptitude for helping kids with homework or teaching htem...

Certainly they were not expecting it, however now parents/grandparents have step things up. What other option do they have? Were parents not stepping in to help with schoolwork/class projects already? This is just another level. I realize it is not easy, you just do what you need to do until schools get back on course. Just as The Cambridges are presumably doing.

LaRae

Honestly it would depend upon the family situation and the parents' abilities/willingness to assist. As parents my husband and I did step in when it was needed for instruction but now that my own children are college level, it's not required in the same manner. Now speaking as a former full time classroom teacher, I can attest the level of support greatly varied among my students' families. Some were wonderful providers and could always be counted upon. However others for a variety of reasons did not have any literacy/math skills in English or their primary language. Finally some would never assist because sadly they honestly didn't believe it was their role to provide support and definitely let me know that they wouldn't help.

As for the Cambridges and other families find themselves required to distance learn, yes I believe that they have been and will continue to step it up. However in all honestly I would not compare the current distance learning situation to one in which a family decided to homeschool.

of course they are but I'm sure a lot of parents are struggling. They have full time jobs, they don't have help at home, or maybe they have no aptitude for helping kids with homework or teaching htem...
Agreed Denville. There are significant numbers of students around the globe who are in this exact position with parents who simply cannot or sadly sometimes will not help.

Also since the beginning of most school years in 2020/2021 there are situations in which school has resumed for in person instruction only to be shut down more than once when the local/national health boards determined it was not safe. I believe that George and Charlotte were back to in person instruction for some part of the 2020-2021 school year but then since January have pivoted back to distance learning.

Last edited:
Perhaps the Cambridge children learning at home is not the same as classroom learning but there are other things and ways that can be taught "because" they're learning at home or remotely by Zoom.

1. With Zoom learning, perhaps they need to type an answer sometimes. This is a great tool to improve writing and grammar skills. My daughter was 15 when she first discovered being "online". Her report card showed a tremendous improvement in her English and grammar scores. And.. she knows her way around a keyboard now almost as well as I do.

2. Nanny Maria could be teaching the children to be more fluent in Spanish. Here in the States, if things are still as they used to be, a second language isn't taught in the classroom until the high school level.

3. Making food in the kitchen. Measuring and following recipes. Is there a better way to teach weights and measures? Oh those gawd awful fractions!!

4. Gardening. There we have it. Biology and Horticulture. How things grow.

Maybe... just maybe the parents are learning a thing or two. Education doesn't stop just because someone isn't in a classroom.

They may not have the full advantage of classroom learning but when the situation demands it, solutions are found.

Last edited:
Several posts have been deleted or edited as they had strayed too far from the topic of this thread.

Let's move on, and stick to posts directly related to the thread topic.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon spoke via video link to nursing students from Ulster University?s School of Nursing, Newtownabbey, County Antrim.

Court Circular || 9 February 2021

Just a question, I read somewhere that seemed to suggest W&K have been given permission to work from Sandringham for their most recent Zoom engagements. It was in some glossy - style over substance magazine so wondered if it was true or not? I can't see it personally but then again their recent appearances were in front of those doors that we hadn't seen before.

Last I recall they are at their home on the estate since the school break which has extended to current time so far.

Hmm, I can't see the point in using Sandringham when their own home, Amner hall, is more than fit for purpose and is only two miles east of Sandringham. Whether a Zoom call is made from Amner or Sandringham makes little difference as they have formal rooms at home. The only reason I could possibly stretch to imagine is if they are being filmed carrying out a very formal engagement via Zoom, but even then who would know where it's made from.

I couldn’t see the point of it but apparently Hello! is now reporting the same pointing to the new room with panelling/doors and plants behind them as Sandringham. Other than meaning they can be away from the children when recording I can’t see any benefit. I mean surely they have enough space at Anmer to keep the children amused away from the laptop while they Zoom, nanny Maria could even take them out for a walk while mum and dad zoom.

That said I could imagine HM would let them use “the big house” if asked, probably grateful the future generation being at all interested in it.

In the recent Zoom calls I noticed in the selection of pictures behind Kate/William one picture of the kids we haven't seen before -its the very far picture to the right half obscured but it shows George and Charlotte in casual gear.

has anyone else noticed this or got a screenshot of it

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon spoke via video link to medical, charity and voluntary staff across the Commonwealth in advance of Commonwealth Day on 8th March.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge later held a Meeting via video link with a family supported by Asthma UK.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge afterwards held a Meeting via video link with a family supported by Diabetes UK.

- Court Circular || 23 February 2021

They've spoken about the importance of people being vaccinated, and urged younger people to be vaccinated when their turn comes. The Royals are really making a big group effort on this. The priority groups were Groups 1 to 9. They will hopefully all have been offered the vaccination by mid-March. Then comes Group 10, then Group 11, then the last group will be Group 12. William and Catherine, in their 30s and with no major health conditions, will be Group 11.

As a shielder (who had their vaccine a couple of weeks ago) I'm glad the Cambridges highlighted those who are shielding. We've had a very different lockdown from most!

Last edited:
Oh I got chills. It is wonderful that they are involved in such causes and promoting the incredible life-saving work that organizations like Shout do.

Tears starting in my eyes when I heard that father speak in the call with the Cambridges. Thank goodness that the boy decided to contact SHOUT.

Shout is honestly such an amazing organization and I'm so glad that the Cambridges decided to get involved with them.

It's also quite humbling to see them so empathetic and focused on other people's issues, promoting a worthy cause. Probably the best PR available, to just be good human beings.

Great to see that British school children are back to school this week. All of the little ones seemed to be enjoying their recess time in the fresh air.

I love seeing Cambridges out and about together. I know it's been years of work experience for them together, but they are a very formidable team. Both talking to different people, even on a different paths, but then coming together, hand on her back, completely aware of where the other is. The cause or organization gets more focus, but they are still showing that they're a team.

I love seeing Cambridges out and about together. I know it's been years of work experience for them together, but they are a very formidable team. Both talking to different people, even on a different paths, but then coming together, hand on her back, completely aware of where the other is. The cause or organization gets more focus, but they are still showing that they're a team.[/QUOTE]

I agree and as schools in the UK are now returning to in-person instruction, I believe this was an excellent opportunity to highlight this return to normalcy for so many children, parents/guardians and their teachers/staff.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge together with world leaders participated in a St Patrick'sDay video greeting:

** video **

Super cute! I enjoy seeing them this way!

Oh my, that was cute :lol: It's nice to see them being this way with each other and celebrating St. Patrick's Day.

I see they have the same kind of weather than in Belgium !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom