Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what he is saying now when the king was no longer in a position to refute that.

If he never believed it to be the king's decision, why did he accept the money, keep silent, and, more importantly, why didn't he raise the issue in his personal conversation with the king?

And why didn't his mother stand up for him? All in all, him playing the victim seems self-serving and not necessarily a correct representation of what happened.

This is not to say that I have full confidence in Margareta en Rady. Her use of 'majesty' adds to that but monarchues depend on having heirs and currently I don't see a clear succession plan in place.

Her use of "Majesty" is derived from the Fundamental Rules issued by former King Michael himself. See article 2 in the link: https://coronanachrichten.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/p0002_fundamentalrules.pdf

Let’s be candid: Radu was unpopular way before anyone could have dreamed that King Michael would make Nicholas a prince and a dynast.

He was not trusted when he married Margarita because some Romanians who knew the Royal Family were already aware of his and his family’s political associations.

He was not popular in his former role as Special for the Romanian Government for his tendency to overshadow his wife, who is the real royal.

He is not popular because he fluffed up his CV and rose through the ranks of the Romanian military in a fashion that has never been properly explained.

He is not popular because he has cultivated, by his own actions, the reputation as the éminence grise of the Royal Family, holding sway over not only his wife but her parents as they aged, and then over her sisters and nephews and nieces.

People on this board might have forgotten or been unaware that King Michael, Queen Anne and their daughters were involved in an insular cult called the Moral Re-Armament Movement while living in exile in Switzerland. Anne wrote about this in her memoirs, which were published in English. She admitted that she became bitter against the world for what had happened to her husband, and that Michael was often overcome (understandably) by moroseness due to losing his country. They did not have a social life, so the MRA helped with that. They only saw close relatives like the Greeks. The family was not well off. Michael was not made to be a businessman - he was raised to be a constitutional monarch. Only Margarita went to university, and the fees for the boarding schools for the four younger princesses were all paid for by Romanian monarchists in exile. The daughters were not taught Romanian, aside from the Lord’s Prayer, which their father used to recite every night. Essentially, the family was shut off from the happenings of the outside world, and they were vulnerable, and then the floodgates opened in 1989. The family were sitting ducks for a strong personality, which they surely got when Radu married Margarita. The Queen was a force to be reckoned with, too, but in the last several years of her life she was ill with lung cancer and what seems to have been dementia. Michael’s health was not great either. In addition to the cancers, he also had issues with his memory, which may have been dementia. The Royal Household was wise not to issue actual medical bulletins provided to them by doctors. This is why there are those who feel that Margarita and Radu issued the August 2015 decision in his name. I do not believe an actual copy of it has been seen bearing the king’s signature, but forgive me if I am wrong on that.

They’ve done the best they could, but they were and are by no means the model of a functional family.

In short: they were excluded from "normal world" and when the Communist regime collapsed they were like rabbits caught in headlights. Only the more praise for that "strong man" Radu who carved out a way out and even a future for the former royal family, despite all negativity, poison and venom.

I remember the days that virtually everything which was made public went via Radu's blog, a great source of information and lots of pictures from national and international events. That blog has developed into the Royal House's blog in the exemplaric website they manage to run. If Margareta was so "weltfremd" was it then Radu, with all his contacts and network, who managed all the arrangements for the returned royal estates, since the former King himself as far away in Switzerland.

If Margareta was so unsecure: bravo to Radu to be her guidance and her counsel. Look how far they have come. With the limited finances they have as a former royal family they (M&R) managed to restore Savarsin Castle in splendid state. No, whatever the character of Radu: the man certainly has talents. He has no issue so it is not that it is all for a Duda princeling or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicholas told to the press he would tell in December who took the decision. Obviously he isn't telling it now when the family is in mourning. We have to wait some time now.

I suppose at this stage everybody realizes who could have taken that decision even if I don't understand which could have been the real motivation to do something like this. Was Nicholas too popular indeed?

Last edited:
I suppose at this stage everybody realizes who could have taken that decision even if I don't understand which could have been the real motivation to do something like this. Was Nicholas too popular indeed?

What does not help Nicholas is sending mixed and confusing signals, indicating that he has no any idea himself. Remember that he more or less was "relieved" when he was thrown out of the Royal House:

"The position of prince of Romania and the presence in the line of succession are enforcing a way of conducting my life that I find difficult to accept. That is why, I regretfully consider that the decision of HM the King is welcome to me. I will search in the future to serve my ideals and principles in a different way".

Suddenly he crawls back, apparently it is no more "difficult" to live with the limitations as a Prince of Romania? The decision of the King is no more "welcome" to him? He no longer seeks for "a different way" for his future? Every action since then is contradicting his own statements, not very much helpful to gain credibility, to restore trust in him and add any weight to his words.

Last edited:
What does not help Nicholas is sending mixed and confusing signals, indicating that he has no any idea himself. Remember that he more or less was "relieved" when he was thrown out of the Royal House:

"The position of prince of Romania and the presence in the line of succession are enforcing a way of conducting my life that I find difficult to accept. That is why, I regretfully consider that the decision of HM the King is welcome to me. I will search in the future to serve my ideals and principles in a different way".

Suddenly he crawls back, apparently it is no more "difficult" to live with the limitations as a Prince of Romania? The decision of the King is no more "welcome" to him? He no longer seeks for "a different way" for his future? Every action since then is contradicting his own statements, not very much helpful to gain credibility, to restore trust in him and add any weight to his words.

First of all he is not the only one having doubts the decision did not belong to the King. Secondly in August 2015 maybe he believed that his grandfather took the decision for unknown reasons.
He certainly needs good advisers if he wants to become the symbol of continuity for the Romanians

Last edited:
First of all he is not the only one having doubts the decision did not belong to the King. Secondly in August 2015 maybe he believed that his grandfather took the decision for unknown reasons.
He certainly needs good advisers if he wants to become the symbol of continuity for the Romanians

The reasons are not "unknown" as you claim. It has been communicated that Nicholas lacked the modesty, the well-balance and the moral principles to remain part of the Royal House.

In answer to this Nicholas showed being relieved and wanted to pursue a different future for him outside the Royal House.

Last edited:
The reasons are not "unknown" as you claim. It has been communicated that Nicholas lacked the modesty, the well-balance and the moral principles to remain part of the Royal House.

In answer to this Nicholas showed being relieved and wanted to pursue a different future for him outside the Royal House.

I wonder who really believes the things said in 2015.

The whole situation is a big mess IMO. Why strip Nicholas of titles and his place in succession if there is no one willing to step up into the public role of heir (or future heir). Maybe that is the way the RF want it, focus solely on the custodian and not any future heirs but it seems a poor way to ensure the future of the Royal House.

I don't really have an opinion on Nicholas and I agree with some who say he seems to like the attention too much but he did genuinely seem to revitalise interest in the Royal House and that is no bad thing. As much as they may not like to the Custodian and her husband may need to bear that popularity in mind when planning their next move.

1) It is quite possible that King Michael was not in a mental state where he could have actually made the decision.

2) Nicholas was repeatedly not allowed to see his grandfather after September 2015, when some members of the family were in Switzerland to celebrate Anne's birthday, so he hardly had the chance to discuss it afterwards.

I am in no position to know what happened and it could very well be that it was not the king's decision. I am not disputing that - it could be the king's decision or someone else's decision.

What I am disputing, however, is Nicholas' logic: we didn't talk about it, so he must not have known. Everyone else would have raised the question him/her self if he/she didn't agree about this extremely important decision - instead of letting it rest for 2 years until the king wasn't able to respond. So, why didn't Nicholas ASK the king about it when they talked after the decision was made public (i.e., September 2015)?

To me, it looks more like a recent 'change of heart' on Nicholas' part than Nicholas being fervently against the decision when it was made in 2015. As stated before, he did accept the money instead of fight for his position from the start and seek clarification from his grandfather.

Last edited:
I am in no position to know what happened and it could very well be that it was not the king's decision. I am not disputing that - it could be the king's decision or someone else's decision.

What I am disputing, however, is Nicholas' logic: we didn't talk about it, so he must not have known. Everyone else would have raised the question him/her self if he/she didn't agree about this extremely important decision - instead of letting it rest for 2 years until the king wasn't able to respond. So, why didn't Nicholas ASK the king about it when they talked after the decision was made public (i.e., September 2015)?

Nicholas said that when he talked with his grandfather that one time after the title had been taken away from him, king Mihai asked from Nicholas what projects he then had going on in Romania. So Nicholas understood that the king didn't know about that he wasn't a prince anymore. And since king Mihai was very sick, Nicholas obviously didn't want to demand answers from him.

Whatever the reason, in HIS public communication no one else than Nicholas himself stated that he found it difficult to cope with the limitation of his position, that he welcomed (!) the decision, and that he would pursue a different life.

Imagine that Harry, or Carl Philip, or Joachim, or Constantijn, would have issued this statement to the public. And then two years later they are sending a contradictionary signal. No one would take that serious.

Last edited:
Nicholas said that when he talked with his grandfather that one time after the title had been taken away from him, king Mihai asked from Nicholas what projects he then had going on in Romania. So Nicholas understood that the king didn't know about that he wasn't a prince anymore. And since king Mihai was very sick, Nicholas obviously didn't want to demand answers from him.

There is, however, a question mark over the King's memory at this time, so the fact that he asked Nicholas how things were in Romania may just have been a symptom of that. The King's health in 2016 is not an argument in support of or against Nicholas' claims.

We know that the King did remove his daughter from the succession and noone, to my knowledge, has yet questioned the origin of that decision, so there is a precedent and a certain consistency in the logic of the removal of Nicholas from the succession. Let us not forget either that the Queen was still alive in 2016, both in February, on the arrival of baby Iris Anna, and in August 2015, at the time this decision was taken.

When did Nicholas announce to his family that he was the subject of this alleged paternity issue - or did they just find out?

Whatever the deal back in 2015, Margareta is now Head of House and today has the authority to uphold or revoke the decisions made two and a half years ago. In the light of what happened last October, it seems unlikely that a change will be made in the near future but if a dialogue can be opened once the period of mourning ends and Nicholas can come to the table with evidence that he is sorting out the unholy mess, then there may be some common ground.

Does anyone know if Nicholas was already dating Alina when, in 2015, the cycling trip during which he allegedly fathered a child with Nicoleta Cirjan took place? I have somehow assumed that they had met after he had been stripped of his title but then it struck me that the timeline there is a bit of a mystery.....

Last edited:

That is indeed what he says - conveniently claiming that no one else but himself knows about it. Just one question 'grandfather, did you forget/don't you know about my removal ...?' would have solved a lot of issues; without it it is just 'his interpretation'. In any case, why didn't he run to his mother or anyone else at that moment to fight for his cause?! Instead he was happy with the money he got and his new life until very recently he decided that he didn't quite like the decision after all.

Does anyone know if Nicholas was already dating Alina when, in 2014, the cycling trip during which he allegedly fathered a child with Nicoleta Cirjan took place? I have somehow assumed that they had met after he had been stripped of his title but then it struck me that the timeline there is a bit of a mystery.....

I seem to remember that they met in the summer of 2015 (2 years before the engagement was announced - but I might be mixing up things.

That is indeed what he says - conveniently claiming that no one else but himself knows about it. Just one question 'grandfather, did you forget/don't you know about my removal ...?' would have solved a lot of issues; without it it is just 'his interpretation'. In any case, why didn't he run to his mother or anyone else at that moment to fight for his cause?! Instead he was happy with the money he got and his new life until very recently he decided that he didn't quite like the decision after all.

Did he receive money?

If the King wanted a change in his grandson's life or status He would have discussed that with him directly.

Last edited:
We know that the King did remove his daughter from the succession and noone, to my knowledge, has yet questioned the origin of that decision, so there is a precedent and a certain consistency in the logic of the removal of Nicholas from the succession. Let us not forget either that the Queen was still alive in 2015, both in February, on the arrival of baby Iris Anna, and in August, at the time this decision was taken.

Does anyone know if Nicholas was already dating Alina when, in 2014, the cycling trip during which he allegedly fathered a child with Nicoleta Cirjan took place? I have somehow assumed that they had met after he had been stripped of his title but then it struck me that the timeline there is a bit of a mystery.....

Iris Anna Cîrjan was born in February 2016, so she was conceived somewhere around May 2015.

Nicholas and Alina began dating in July 2015. They had first become acquainted in September 2014. She was a guest at his 30th birthday party at Elisabeta Palace where Margarita referred to Nicholas as her “spiritual son.”

[...] where Margarita referred to Nicholas as her “spiritual son.”

Once again a proof of how much Margareta (and Radu) have invested in helping Nicholas forward. They did it. Day by day. Not far-away mama. Not far-away grandpa and grandma. It were aunt Margareta and uncle Nicholas which included their dear nephew as much as possible during public outings. Without them Nicholas would be nowhere.

Thanks, Benjamin. I made a couple of errors, putting the wrong year for the birth, so will go back and correct them for clarity's sake.
So the timeline is: they first met, Sept. 2014; she was close enough a friend to be at his 30th in April, 2015; the ill-fated cycling trip; they started dating July 2015; he was removed from the succession 1 August 2015. Baby born Feb, 2016; Queen Anne passes away 1 August 2016; last meeting with the King, September 2016; Nicholas' stipend cut Autumn 2016.

And yet they drop him so quickly? I am no fan of either side but I have to say its odd behaviour. Yes Nicholas was wrong, he made a mistake but it speaks poorly of his aunt to publicly call her his son then be part of a complete abandonment of him.

And yet they drop him so quickly? I am no fan of either side but I have to say its odd behaviour. Yes Nicholas was wrong, he made a mistake but it speaks poorly of his aunt to publicly call her his son then be part of a complete abandonment of him.

His aunt? Or the former King? He had an experienced hand in scrapping, you know. He did it with the Hohenzollerns. With the Biarneix. With the Kreugers. With Irina. Why not with Nicholas?

And possibly the news was like a bombshell to aunt Margareta: "How could you? Step for step, piece by piece, we have built for our ideal, and now this? Where was your mind? Where was your loyalty? Where was your morale?"

Who knows. The stories of Michael and Anne heavily involved in Moral Re-Armament seems to indicate that they did demand high standards from themselves. And from their family. Any mistake, how futile it may be (cockfighting) seemed enough to become rücksichtlos kaltgesteltt (radically destroyed).

I have no any reason why Michael would not have done this. If he can scrap Michael Jr and Angelica for nothing, he can surely scrap Nicholas.

Last edited:
His aunt? Or the former King? He had an experienced hand in scrapping, you know. He did it with the Hohenzollerns. With the Biarneix. With the Kreugers. With Irina. Why not with Nicholas?

And possibly the news was like a bombshell to aunt Margareta: "How could you? Step for step, piece by piece, we have built for our ideal, and now this? Where was your mind? Where was your loyalty? Where was your morale?"

Who knows. The stories of Michael and Anne heavily involved in Moral Re-Armament seems to indicate that they did demand high standards from themselves. And from their family. Any mistake, how futile it may be (cockfighting) seemed enough to become rücksichtlos kaltgesteltt (radically destroyed).

I have no any reason why Michael would not have done this. If he can scrap Michael Jr and Angelica for nothing, he can surely scrap Nicholas.

The Line proposed in 2007 was reduced in few years at a half with more or less reasons.

I can understand Michael may have been disappointed in Nicholas' personal choices but as a King looking to the future of his house it wasn't, IMO, a good decision. Times move on, what was once considered unacceptable behaviour is not seen as such a big issue any more.

I can understand Michael may have been disappointed in Nicholas' personal choices but as a King looking to the future of his house it wasn't, IMO, a good decision. Times move on, what was once considered unacceptable behaviour is not seen as such a big issue any more.

There is no proof the King had ever been disappointed of his grandson.

The type of unacceptable behavior by Nicholas is exactly what caused many issues for Mihai during his life (with his nephew); so, having a child out of wedlock (of a one-night stand) was the worst he could do.

And so far, I tend to believe that to be the case but Nicholas is free to proof otherwise.

:previous:

The burden of proof is usually with the accuser, not with the accused.

The reality is that none of us here will know what exactly happened between grandfather and grandson and that we have been going around in circles with possible explanations for what happened.

Last edited:
:previous:

The burden of proof is usually with the accuser, not with the accused.

The reality is that none of us here will know what exactly happened between grandfather and grandson and that we have been going around in circles with possible explanations for what happened.

Probably nothing happened really between the grandfather and the grandson but certainly something happened between the young man and other members of the Family.

Last edited:
Whether with the King or Crown Princess Margareta it seems IMO short sighted as all its done in reality in ensure the Royal House has no future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom