Nicholas Medforth-Mills (formerly His Royal Highness Prince Nicholas of Romania)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the issue has been handled poorly. If it was a joint decision in anyway between Nicholas and King Michael then they should have let Nicholas announce it as his 'decision'. Instead they have made it seem all very cold and uncaring, that Nicholas has disappointed his grandfather and in some way 'failed' and is being punished (even if they say he's not it LOOKS that way)
I think this will do lasting damage to the RF as the more the family play around with the succession the more it weakens the idea of the succession itself. Its as if they've said "well we gave Nicholas a try, who next..." just working through the remaining members of the family.

:previous: Beautiful article and of course many whish for the new life of Nicolae :flowers:

I see your point but the people ( this happens everywhere ) easily forgotten and will welcome the new.

:previous: They are in the same article below in the comments.
Eventually everyone watches and says that he is concerned .

Eventually everyone watches and says that he is concerned .

Last edited by a moderator:
One of those who admires former prince is former philosopher Mihai Sora, honorary member of the Romanian Academy, former Minister of Education. He posted on his Facebook page a photo that "reveals infinitely more" than official communiqués about Prince Nicholas.
Fotografia care arată cu adevărat cine este „Principele” Nicolae _ Dezvăluie infinit mai multe… _ Nasul.tv
Translation

Note that even this alleged admirer places the word prince between quotation marks: "Principele" Nicolae. The (old) pictures are re-posts from Nicholas' own FB by the way.

The situation is sad because there are no winners in this situation, even those person or persons who stand to gain by King Michael decision.

Sounds more like other people or other interests perhaps want someone else to file that role besides Nicholas or his vision of what Romania should be doesn't match what others think it should be. If most people in Romania are on the same page as he is as far as the vision or future of the country, stripping Nicholas of his title is big mistake.

If Nicholas is well liked in Romania and people can relate to him even if they are not of the same social standing as he, why remove him or take away his title. If this was his choice, well that is one thing. It appears to be quite different though.

As others had said, this wasn't handled very well.

Ninel Peia, member of the Chamber of Deputies, the lower house of the Romanian bicameral parliament from Social Democratic Party at his website:

Open letter to His Majesty King Mihai I
Your Majesty,
I'm one of the millions of Your Majesty's subjects, admirer of the Royal House of Romania, a supporter of the monarchy...
Your Majesty,
As others, I am aware of the decision of Your Majesty and the Royal House to withdraw both Prince Nicolae's position on the line of succession to the Crown, and his Royal titles... I do not have the plan to defy the Royal House or encroach in any way the image of Hrh Princess Margarita or any member of the Royal family. But I dare to make a fervent prayer to Your Majesty.
Your Majesty,
Most of those who admire the Royal Family today, and myself, we call on the wisdom of our king to reverse the decision taken in respect of Prince Nicolae, today Mr. Nicholas Michael Medforth-Mills.
Your Majesty,
People began to see the in Prince Nicolae a chance to return to the monarchy. Prince Nicolae is a personality who although has much to learn on the royal road, he had had already become an example of moderation and respect, imposing a certain attitude and made important steps to the heart of our nation. Ordinary people began to feel prince Nicolae as one of those who could be the model, and leader. Slowly, Prince Nicolae seemed to be a good guide for Romanians, and would have worn with dignity the aura of a king loved and loving the country and the people.
Your Majesty,
Bend to our plea, ask Your heart once again and weigh Your subjects...
Ninel Peia _ Scrisoare deschisă adresată Majestăţii Sale Regelui Mihai I
Translation

Thanks for posting that, LadyFinn. I was looking through Nicolae's FaceBook pictures today to be reminded of many of the engagements he carried out over the last few years and how well he seemed to get on with people and his connection with them.

I feel the situation is like what happens in most peoples' jobs - your boss never thanks or appreciates you when you get things right 99% of the time, but as soon as you do something wrong, you get hauled up to the managers office and get a telling off!
I hope King Michael considered the good in Nicolae before "sacking" him.

My goodness, they compared Nicholas to Hitler because he likes dogs?

I might be misunderstanding, but I didn't see any comparisons between Nicholas and Hitler (if so that would be extremely unfair on Nicholas) in the quoted article. Was it on Nicholas's Facebook page (in the comments)?

:previous: Thanks, I see it now. I must have missed it before.
That's a pretty ridiculous comparison... millions and millions of people across the globe own dogs so it's wrong to say that Nicholas is like Hitler for that reason (and IMO it's quite hard to compare anyone living with Hitler, since he is the most evil person in history for me).

I might be misunderstanding, but I didn't see any comparisons between Nicholas and Hitler (if so that would be extremely unfair on Nicholas) in the quoted article. Was it on Nicholas's Facebook page (in the comments)?

One of the commenters felt the dog photo was not indicative of a fine, young man because Hitler also liked dogs.

That comment was ridiculous. So any dog-owner is now alike Hitler because he liked dogs too? So any vegetarian is now alike Hitler because he did not eat meat?

:whistling:

A lot of people that have never been royalist show their soldarity with young Nicholas because almost everybody is shocked by how this popular young man was treated at the beginning of august.

Cory, agreed. After what King Michael went through- losing his throne due to Communists and then having his own awful father, King Carol, proclaim that someone else should get the throne, I'd think that King Michael would treat Nicholas better.

I suppose the only "fault" of young Nicholas was he was becoming really popular but in his own way and not in a way wanted by Elisabeta Palace. He was not the one who really lost because he is even more popular now. His grandfather, his eldest aunt and her husband really lost from this sad event.

If his sister is Elisabeth Karina De Roumanie Medforth Mills why he should be only Nicholas Medforth Mills?

If his sister is Elisabeth Karina De Roumanie Medforth Mills why he should be only Nicholas Medforth Mills?

Indeed, his given name at birth was Nicholas Michael de Roumanie Medforth-Mills.

I really don´t get it! In which way did he - publicly - fail?! He showed great interest in the country, toured it several times, represented Romania (even abroad) with great charm and dignity, always impeccable clothed (even more than some "reigning" CPrinces), was accessible and had a great way with children. What could a royal house more want?!
Nicolae IMO had something like the "Diana-factor" while all his other relatives (may be with the exception of Pcss Marie), including the King, were a bit brittle.
There was no scandal going on that would require a pulling the break. I truely remain puzzled and mystified...

This event took place only a few days before the King issued his statement. Margharita, it has stated before, knew at the time while N. seemed to be completely clueless.
Vara, la Săvârșin | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

I don´t believe a second N. wanted to "retire" himself because he learned that everything was too much or something!
I don´t want to put too much into this but the CPss looks everything but at ease...: http://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/232-940x626.jpg

Last edited:
The statement by Nicholas Medforth-Mills learns that the life he wants to pursue and the limitations which his position in the House of Romania brought were conflicting.

It is really not hard to imagine a Swiss-born British gentleman trying to find his way in a country he initially knew nothing about, of which he has to learn the language, the society, the history, the character and where he has to find a destiny and a living. It is very well imagineable that, after ample considerations and thinking, sleepless nights even, he told his grandfather that he saw no future for himself in Romania and that he had no real profound belief in "the Romanian Project" and no longer wished to fool himself and the family.

I would say: stop thinking about plots or wrongdoings. Most likely Nicholas was honest and told his family he no longer felt the commitment, the zest and the convince to fight for Romania and for the Romanian Royal House since he first and foremost feels more British or Swiss than Romanian. I think that is a honourable and honest position.

If that was the situation, then the former King and his family were faced with a problem too. How to communicate that a future Chef himself does not believe in a future for the House of Romania? Therefore the misty circumstances. ...

Last edited:
[...]

This event took place only a few days before the King issued his statement. Margharita, it has stated before, knew at the time while N. seemed to be completely clueless.
Vara, la Săvârșin | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

I don´t believe a second N. wanted to "retire" himself because he learned that everything was too much or something!
I don´t want to put too much into this but the CPss looks everything but at ease...: http://www.romaniaregala.ro/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/232-940x626.jpg

Interesting, I do not see a tense Margareta at all but a nice relaxed family. I feel you are now looking to the pictures and started to hineininterpretieren

:lol:

Well, then he must have been a great actor. I saw a lot of Royals, even those born to their role, very uncomfortable and tensed at public engagements while N. always gave the impression of being totally relaxed and enjoying himself.

Interesting, I do not see a tense Margareta at all but a nice relaxed family. I feel you are now looking to the pictures and started to hineininterpretieren

:lol:

Yes, may be you´re right. But this stunns me even more! They´re pretending like everything was just fine! But "nice and relaxed" are neither Radu nor Margharita.
I must admit I look at this pics with different eyes than before.

I wouldn´t put so much into it if N. retired from his royal duties while keeping his titles. But creating a GRANDSON a royal prince and with a HRH and stripping him 5 years later all of that again is more than, let´s put it mildly, "strange"....

I will never forget the most enchanting and romantic photoshoot ever, that of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark. The pictures were barely released and melted the audience: the couple announced their separation...

Morale of the story: photo's are always framing. We do it every day. When we place pictures on Facebook or Instagram, most likely we will have thought about what we want to show or communicate...

Since the Love Story photoshoot by Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra, I have learned not to read to deep into pictures...

I will never forget the most enchanting and romantic photoshoot ever, that of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark. The pictures were barely released and melted the audience: the couple announced their separation...

Morale of the story: photo's are always framing. We do it every day. When we place pictures on Facebook or Instagram, most likely we will have thought about what we want to show or communicate...

Since the Love Story photoshoot by Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra, I have learned not to read to deep into pictures...
So very true !!!!:)

The statement by Nicholas Medforth-Mills learns that the life he wants to pursue and the limitations which his position in the House of Romania brought were conflicting.

It is really not hard to imagine a Swiss-born British gentleman trying to find his way in a country he initially knew nothing about, of which he has to learn the language, the society, the history, the character and where he has to find a destiny and a living. It is very well imagineable that, after ample considerations and thinking, sleepless nights even, he told his grandfather that he saw no future for himself in Romania and that he had no real profound belief in "the Romanian Project" and no longer wished to fool himself and the family.

I would say: stop thinking about plots or wrongdoings. Most likely Nicholas was honest and told his family he no longer felt the commitment, the zest and the convince to fight for Romania and for the Romanian Royal House since he first and foremost feels more British or Swiss than Romanian. I think that is a honourable and honest position.

If that was the situation, then the former King and his family were faced with a problem too. How to communicate that a future Chef himself does not believe in a future for the House of Romania? Therefore the misty circumstances. ...

This is what I would like to thing happened, that Nicholas thought his new role wasn't for him and that he would rather go out, work in a more normal 'job' and make his own life. However, if that is the case why release a statement talking about the need for 'modesty and moral principles' which, intentionally or not, made it sound as if they were suggesting Nicholas didn't have those?

If it was simply that Nicholas wanted to do more of a normal job why not just say so. And indeed why is that a problem, many Royals in Europe these days work 'normal jobs' never mind those in deposed royal families.

This is what I would like to thing happened, that Nicholas thought his new role wasn't for him and that he would rather go out, work in a more normal 'job' and make his own life. However, if that is the case why release a statement talking about the need for 'modesty and moral principles' which, intentionally or not, made it sound as if they were suggesting Nicholas didn't have those?

If it was simply that Nicholas wanted to do more of a normal job why not just say so. And indeed why is that a problem, many Royals in Europe these days work 'normal jobs' never mind those in deposed royal families.

Working a normal job, keeping his title and place in the succession would have been fine. He could have returned to Romania periodically for important holidays and occasional charity work. Certainly Nicolas having a job with an NGO or EU organization could be spun to say that it was giving him international relations experience and a better ability to work with people throughout Europe and even the world.

I agree. I have given the examples of Prince Friso, Prince Constantijn, Prince Maurits, Prince Bernhard jr. and other members of the Dutch royal family, being members of the Royal House, being in line of succession and all of them pursuing an own career or even start companies themselves. "Waiting On A Throne" usually is no fruitful activity to fill the days of one's life with...

I can think of the following:
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge - RAF Pilot, Air Ambulance Pilot
Prince Harry of Wales - member of the Army
Princess Anne, Princess Royal - Professional equestrian
Prince Friso - worked in business and finance
Prince Constantijn - worked for the EU
Princess Eugenie - working in auction houses

Most members of deposed Royal Families have normal day jobs, probably because they don't exactly have lodes of public duties to perform.
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece - works in finance
Crown Princess Marie Chantal - has her own children's fashion line
Prince Kyrill of Bulgaria - works in banking / finance
Hereditary Prince Peter of Yugoslavia- works in graphic design/computers
Prince Philip of Yugoslavia - works in finance
Prince Alexander of yugoslavia - works in internet publishing

Furthermore very few of those listed actually live in the country they are 'royals' to. This just makes me feel that King Michael is placing too much pressure and expectations on Nicholas.

I don't believe at all that Nicholas wanted to give up his title and work as a member of the royal family. The royal family's advisor Ioan-Luca Vlad said that he didn't request for it, but agreed to it. If Nicholas would have requested that the title as a prince would have taken away from him, the Royal Court should have published both king Michael's and Nicholas's statements on the same day. And king Michael would have written: This is a sad day for me and the royal family, but I have accepted prince Nicolae's request to take away his title as the HRH prince Nicolae of Romania and taken him also out of the succession line to the Romanian throne. Prince Nicolae wants to continue his life as a private citizen and I have accepted that...

But king Michael wrote at his statement: "His Majesty has stated that the Royal Family and Romanian society of those times to come will need guidance that rests under the sign of well-tempered modesty, moral principles, respect and constant thought for others. Preserving the same affection for his grandson, King Michael hopes that Nicholas will in the years to come find an appropriate way of serving his ideals and making use of the qualities with which God has endowed him."
King Michael clearly hints that Nicholas lacked modesty, moral principles and respect. And that perhaps Nicholas wasn't serving his ideals in an appropriate way as a prince. Would the king have been so stupid that he would have written like that if Nicholas would himself wanted to give up his title? I don't believe that, or then the king is a very bad king and not at all loving grandfather.
And because Nicholas's statement was published a day after the king's statement, it looks odd and the statement itself gives the impression that someone wrote it and Nicholas agreed to sign it.

And it is totally useless for us to speculate that Nicholas could have kept his work outside the Royal Family, because the family's advisor Ioan-Luca Vlad said, that a member of the royal family can't do that. King Michael has decided that it is like that and that's it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom