Princess Alexandra to Marry Martin Jørgensen: February 7, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sophus said:
In Denmark princes who were born princes became counts/countesses of Rosenborg when tehy married common people. In the case of Alexandra the Queen could not give her the title of Countess of Rosenborg as she is not born a royal. Therefore the Queen had to invent a new title for this new type of royals (prince/princesses of marriage who marry again) and it became counts/countesses of Frederiksborg. Let's say that prince Nikolai's future wife divorce him and marry again then she will also be a countess of Frederiksborg.

:)

Interesting explanation.
Frederiksborg was the castle (or church?) where Princess Alexandra got married.
It´s possible that any future ex-wives of Danish princes may become countess of the place where they got married to the prince.
I hope that Nikolai and Felix will have happy marriages.

ricarda said:
In what way does this confirm that Alexandra did not marry Joachim because of his royal worth?

Well, princes are not stupid. They must have encountered all kinds of girls who are only sharp on their royal titles and fortunes.
I don´t think Joachim was so stupid that he couldn´t tell if his bride really loved him or not.

If Alex was so sharp on being a princess, if the desire to become a princess was so strong that made her give up her job and friends and family to settle in a country where the climate and language are totally different and she knew nobody except Joachim, I don´t think she would decide to remarry. (I believe that she did all this because she was so much in love with Joachim.)

She would instead try her best to keep herself a RF member, to keep her princess title. She could allow Joachim to have hundreds of girlfriends as he wants, but she would not agree to divorce.

After divorce, she doesn´t have to remarry. She can keep her princess title and the allowance. A remarriage to Martin brings nothing to her except a kind of love declaration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its wonderful! I am so happy for her. they've been dating for quite awhile so they've had plenty of time think about it. Besides, after her divorce and with so much money on the line, I'm sure Alexandra will carefully consider a second choice. This is true love.

I think the reason they are marrying relatively quickly is that they would like to have more children. I won't be surprised if Alexandra anounces a pregnancy before their first anniversary.

Danielane said:
Don't what to say except "well, congrats to the couple".
IMO there is too much difference of age between them and it is more difficult for a couple when the man is much younger than the woman.

I totally agree. Its all sunshine and roses at the beginning, and their love will withstand anything, but that is too huge of an age gap especially with the woman being older. She'll be 60 and he'll only be 46. Of course, I wish her the very best but I'm weary on this one.

Quote from Heike
Well, princes are not stupid. They must have encountered all kinds of girls who are only sharp on their royal titles and fortunes.
I don´t think Joachim was so stupid that he couldn´t tell if his bride really loved him or not.

If Alex was so sharp on being a princess, if the desire to become a princess was so strong that made her give up her job and friends and family to settle in a country where the climate and language are totally different and she knew nobody except Joachim, I don´t think she would decide to remarry. (I believe that she did all this because she was so much in love with Joachim.)

She would instead try her best to keep herself a RF member, to keep her princess title. She could allow Joachim to have hundreds of girlfriends as he wants, but she would not agree to divorce.

After divorce, she doesn´t have to remarry. She can keep her princess title and the allowance. A remarriage to Martin brings nothing to her except a kind of love declaration.
Joachim was 25 and stupid, he still is IMO.:)

As I said, perhaps she found out that being a princess isn't that desireable after all.
As others did before her (Diana, Sarah).
I really think that Joachim's royal status was one of his main attractions.
They did not know each other very well when they got married, it must all have been quite superficial.

And Alexandra like Diana and Sarah will always stay a royal in the peoples' minds, I am sure.
Also, it's not as if Martin as the son of a millionaire doesn't have anything to offer in the future.
But I am going to stop my speculations now or I am again accused of hating Alexandra.:)

My feelings towards her have actually improved now that this "I'm still a princess despite divorce"-charade has ended.
And I'm willing to think that perhaps she really prepared her exit from the RF
by doing so little engagements last year and thus letting the public get used to the new situation
(I mean not seeing her so often in public) step by step.

Last edited:
Heike said:
Interesting explanation.
Frederiksborg was the castle (or church?) where Princess Alexandra got married.
It´s possible that any future ex-wives of Danish princes may become countess of the place where they got married to the prince.
I hope that Nikolai and Felix will have happy marriages.

It usually does not have anything to do with how, but who. There are several typical last names that indicates you have a royal connections. For instance the last name Gyldenløve (Golden Lion) has historical been given to illegimate children of the King (Quite a bit of them Golden Lions btw. ;) ). Just like the Titel Countess of Frederiksborg is likely to be the new titel given to divorced ladies in the future. At least if they have had kids, which mean the Queen can not have them fall back to being mere commoners.

I think that many women keep themselves much younger and healthier than men! They also live longer.:)
MarvelousMarta said:
I totally agree. Its all sunshine and roses at the beginning, and their love will withstand anything, but that is too huge of an age gap especially with the woman being older. She'll be 60 and he'll only be 46. Of course, I wish her the very best but I'm weary on this one.

Wow, I'm really surprised. I think in the hearts and minds of many around Denmark she will remain a princess. This is happy news that she is moving on with her life and that she has found happiness again. Good for her!

So why are so many in this thread talking about how sad this is to lose princess Alexandra? I personally thought the whole set up of her remaining a princess and the living situations was a little strange for someone that was no longer married to the prince. However, I'm on the outside looking in at the situation, I'm not in Denmark so I don't completely understand the popularity of Alexandra. And I must admit it is probably difficult for these RF's to know proper protocol when a divorce does occurs. Especially when there's children involved. No matter what happens in either Joachim's or Alexandra's lives the fact that they are the parents of Nikolai and Felix will never change.

my greatest congratulations to alexandra! it's a shame she won't be princess anymore though, i really hope margrethe lets her keep her title, although she gave her another.

i really hope she still gets invited to galas an goes on performing duties. :)

will this mean martin will be count of frederiksborg when they marry?

carlota said:
my greatest congratulations to alexandra! it's a shame she won't be princess anymore though, i really hope margrethe lets her keep her title, although she gave her another.

No, Martin will not be anything that he is not allready and Alexandra will be completely out of protocal and the Royal Family. She will no longer be a princess and she will no longer have invitations to galla because of protocol.

She will be a "plain" countess. ;)

carlota said:

Because Alexandra is a Knight of the Order of the Elephant she shall continue to be invited to white tie gala events. Whether she attends is totally at her discretion.

I am speechless for once!
I like Alex and think she had work so hard in the the last nine years as a princess. I know Unicef would like her to continue to work for UN. Other than that, I wonder if she will start working again in the business field or something like that. Of course, she will work in a high level position.

I also think, she wants to have Martin's child. Afterall, he is still a young man, and having a child and family is totally making sense.

Hopefully, we will still see Alex in the future, either in a public function or just out with children. I just love to see her and her children.
Wish her all the best.

that's wonderful to hear madame royal and hofburg :)

i wouldn't find it very bad if she decided to carry on at least with some of her work, perhaps for unicef. would she be allowed?

Last edited:
I am so happy for her! She deserves it. I'm so sad she'll no longer be a member of the royal family but she'll still be involved with many of her charities I'm sure and hopefully we'll still see her at some royal events. I for one will never refer to her as anything other than Princess Alexandra, no matter what her technical title is. She's irreplacable to the Danish royal family.
I'm wondering though, does she still get to keep her tiara? And could she wear it to a royal gala if she were invited to one? Her gala glamour will be missed the most!

Last edited:
Congratulations to Princess Alexandra and Martin Jorgensen. :flowers:
I hope they will be very happy togehter.

Ricarda,

You have always expressed your strong dislike of Alexandra even the way she dresses and you do not know what happened so I don't think you should jump to conclusions that she had an affair and that's what led to the break up. Every time you posted on the website it was a criticism of the princess for one thing or another.

Actually this special post was not meant critically.
I was answering some posters who asked whether she will continue with her work or not
and doubted that they know each other long enough to marry.
The state will pay her money, so I assumed she will continue with some of her duties.
(And it's the state not her ex-husband who pays, don't mix that up.
If she is paid by the state then she has to do something for the state IMO.)

Also, it is quite clear by now that the relationship with Martin started while she was still married.
I am not saying that this was the reason for the divorce.
Actually, from what I have heard, this marriage was in crisis for quite some time
and only lasted that long because of their royal status.

I do not hate Alexandra but I also never believed that she is the perfect princess.
I still believe that she married Joachim for the wrong reasons and has her share in the failure of their marriage.
There was a lot of make-believe and hypocrisy in the last years and that's what upset me.
But as I said this step makes me think better of her.

Well, I'm glad you feel better about her have you ever thought that a lot of it has to do with your own prejudice? Stop making assumptions and that is what you have been doing all along from her clothing to the reasons for marriage. The fact that you have complained about her so much from the very could be grating to others yet you have continued to do it all along and now that she is disappearing from the public stage you think better of her. I have nothing to say!
Last edited by ricarda : Today at 03:32 PM.

Last edited:
carlota said:

NO! The title of countess of Frederiksborg was given to Alexandra personally. He will remain Mr. Jørgensen while she will be styled 'Countess Alexandra, mrs Jørgensen' just like the swedish and norwegian princesses who married commomers = 'princess Märtha Louise, mrs Behn'; 'princess Christina, mrs Magnusson'.

Nicolai and Felix will not be counts of Frederiksborg either - it's Alexandra's private title.

:flowers:

I know that many think it sad that Alexandera is no longer an official member of the royal family, but I don't. My reason is because she is happy. She is marrying a man she "loves", and she has the courage unlike other former wives of princes to move on (i.e Fergie and Diana). Unlike her predecesors, she slowly cut back on her charity life and is regaining her private citizenry again. I feel many royal women (i.e those who married into RF) would not show the "brass" Alexandera is showing and moving on with life. It seems many get caught up in the trappings and trying maintain that life style and limelight, once they are divorced.

But I think Alexander is a fine model for the future royal brides and bride-grooms to follow--when it is over its over, so move along, title or no title.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the happy couple! I haven't been able to get on the Internet for a couple of days (been too busy) so it's good to be back to the world of royalty.

if joachim married again,what would happen to boys?will they stay with mom or dad?

Whether the marriage will last or not?
Time will tell. I don't think the age difference is such a problem.
And as far as I understand they are a couple for three years now,
this isn't such a short period.
quote]

I agree with your assessment. I wish her and Martin all the happiness. You have to wonder if the age gap is going to be a problem later on when he is a bit older. I know my husband at 28 was nothing like he is now at 36. When Martin is 35 Alex will be almost 50 years old. I admire her courage for giving love a try though

Last edited:
norwegianne said:
As for the age difference. If they're happy, who am I to judge? Regarding possible children - Alexandra has her two sons, and Martin has a child from a previous relationship that he, according to the newspaper around the time their relationship went public, has little contact with. So they would be fairly covered in the child department already. Whatever comes comes. ;

This is news did not realize Martin had a child already. In that case, I agree that they either want to have children together or she wants to resume her private life and work.

Heike said:
It doesn´t disturb me at all if Alex still receives some money after remarrying to Martin. We already know that she will retain her petronage. Besides, many divorced women receive money from their ex-husbands, for doing nothing. They don´t have to work for their ex-husbands in order to receive the money. After all, don´t forget that Alex is the mother of Nikolai and Felix.

Yes. The stipend also allows her to take care of the two royal princes. Certainly she should not be expected to shoulder the cost of their care on her own.

Last edited by a moderator:
aryo said:
if joachim married again,what would happen to boys?will they stay with mom or dad?
aryo,

They will continue to live with their mother, although the parents have joint custody, and Prince Joachim sees them a lot, and regularly.

great news! i hope this time she can be happy, but it's sad that she lost her title of princess.

Heike said:

I lived in Hong Kong and shared a similar career and lifestyle as Alexandra. It was a glamorous life. She needn't become a princess to have an adventurous and luxurious life. She could have easily married well in Hong Kong. Having said that the lure of being a Princess is substantial. So who knows why...probably love AND lure of royal family

Last edited:
Times2222 said:
No not EUros. Her total stipend is only approx 250k euros a year. Now she has to return the majority of it as tax. Above $1.9 million is Danish Crown.
I'm rather certain, she'll be compensated accordingly, in private by the Queen.

congratulation to princess alexandra. . .

its a mixed feeling of both happy and sad at this moment. .. happy for her to find someone again yet sad that we will see less of her. but as long as she's happy. .. then it will be worth while.

after she lose her princess title, does that means we will be seeing her less and less in the future? definitely i will be missing her alot as she has been my favourite princess ever since she married prince joachim almost 12 yrs ago. will she be still invited to special events like the new year gala or state visits?? will we be able to see her wearing tiara again? i love seeing her with tiara. .

Akilah said:
I know that many think it sad that Alexandera is no longer an official member of the royal family, but I don't. My reason is because she is happy. She is marrying a man she "loves", and she has the courage unlike other former wives of princes to move on (i.e Fergie and Diana). Unlike her predecesors, she slowly cut back on her charity life and is regaining her private citizenry again. I feel many royal women (i.e those who married into RF) would not show the "brass" Alexandera is showing and moving on with life. It seems many get caught up in the trappings and trying maintain that life style and limelight, once they are divorced.

But I think Alexander is a fine model for the future royal brides and bride-grooms to follow--when it is over its over, so move along, title or no title.

I totally agree with you. Alexandra has been beautiful, classy, and very focused on doing a good job whatever that job is. With her high education level and impressive resume, I find it entirely possible that a life as royal princess of a figurehead monarchy was not enough of a challenge for this very capable woman.

I wouldn't be surprised if she laid low for awhile and took a very important and powerful corporate position.

It will be interesting to see what happens next -- will she have a child, is that why she is marrying now? her boys are growing older and more aware that she has been living with Martin and maybe she wants to legitimize that relationship? perhaps she is ready to leave the royal family, either as her own decision to move on, or because she knows Marie is coming on the scene and she doesn't want to be redundant? I'll stay tuned with interest....

From what I have read (however limited) I don't think that Alexandra was the perfect princess either. She was married to a royal prince, knew the world and had to have known what she was getting into. She did it for the wrong reasons and does have her fair share in the divorce. If she was seeing Martin secretly while married, that confirms that she didn't deserve to come out smelling like roses. As for losing her title, well, it was what was agreed upon at the time of the divorce.

Congrats to Princess Alexandra and Martin! I wish them many years of happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom