The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #261  
Old 04-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 15,402
The thing is that its not about who has the most in their pockets or has the biggest net worth out of all the royals in the world as that doesn't define them as being "better" royals or "richer" royals or "top of the heap" royals. There are many, many private citizens around that could buy and sell royal fortunes like buying a loaf of bread.

When it comes to discussing the income, fortune and expenditures of royal families, it is mostly about people wanting to know just how they receive funds for their public and private lives (such as taxpayer monies) and where does it all go and what costs what.

Another thing is that things related to royal families have a different value. The daisy brooch that Queen Margrethe is so fond of may only be worth $4.00 (hypothetically speaking) but when the royal attachment to that brooch is known, it becomes priceless.

Measuring royal families by their "wealth" is going down a veyr superficial road in my book.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #262  
Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
... Another thing is that things related to royal families have a different value. The daisy brooch that Queen Margrethe is so fond of may only be worth $4.00 (hypothetically speaking) but when the royal attachment to that brooch is known, it becomes priceless. ...
In a documentary (I believe it was 'The Royal Jewels'), Queen Margrethe stated that they "don't count carats, they count centuries"
__________________

__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
Reply With Quote
  #263  
Old 04-25-2018, 05:28 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,663
The new accounts are out, and last year was an expensive year for the DRF.

REGNSKAB | Kongehuset

https://www.bt.dk/royale/nyt-regnska...tabt-millioner

There was a deficit for 2.8 million DKK.
That deficit is covered by the savings.

Salaries for the staff constitute 66 % of the expenses. And a good deal of the deficit is contributable (I think it's called, help!) to medical staff being hired to look after PH.

Apart from that there has been additional spending on renovation and in creating a new guest-area in Christian VIII's manor at Amalienborg. - Which BTW was used by the Belgian Regent Couple lately.

And the car pool has gone through an overhaul.

This however is not to be confused with M&F's accounts. This is the expenses of the court as a whole.

You'll see that M&F's accounts show a little surplus.

----------------

Well, as we all know some years are more expensive than others. It's no different from us when we need a new roof or a new car.
Reply With Quote
  #264  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:13 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,663
M&F's accounts for 2017 are also published: https://www.bt.dk/royale/forbruget-e...tale-i-telefon

They ended up with a small surplus of 79.753 DKK.

However, since 2016 the costs of calls and postage for letters and parcels have gone up 80 % - From 82.000 in 2016 to 145.554 DKK in 2017.
There is no explanation for that in the notes.

On the other hand M&F have saved 447.697 DKK on electricity, heating, modernizations and maintenance since 2016.
Reply With Quote
  #265  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:28 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,212
I can understand the staff costs going up if they paid for Henrik's medical care and help. Likewise with the cars, when they need replacing they need replacing though I have to say I haven't noticed any new cars.
Maybe Mary and Fred are handling more fan mail.
Reply With Quote
  #266  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:33 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,663
Well, in contrast to the Japanese court , the DRF seem keen on keeping their fleet of cars in very good condition.
Of course giving several luxury cars a major overhaul is not cheap!
Reply With Quote
  #267  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:40 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: xxx, Finland
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
However, since 2016 the costs of calls and postage for letters and parcels have gone up 80 % - From 82.000 in 2016 to 145.554 DKK in 2017.
There is no explanation for that in the notes.
As we know, this is not the numbers for F&M using their mobile and sending packages, even if S&H writes that this is the result of Frederik's use of his mobile . It's the numbers for their court, for both work and personal use.
The result is always for their "company".

Perhaps they should stop sending replies to all the "wishing Isabella a happy birthday" letters but then there would be complaints that they ignore well-wishers...
Reply With Quote
  #268  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:42 AM
Stefan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Esslingen, Germany
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The new accounts are out, and last year was an expensive year for the DRF.

REGNSKAB | Kongehuset

https://www.bt.dk/royale/nyt-regnska...tabt-millioner

There was a deficit for 2.8 million DKK.
That deficit is covered by the savings.


Apart from that there has been additional spending on renovation and in creating a new guest-area in Christian VIII's manor at Amalienborg. - Which BTW was used by the Belgian Regent Couple lately.

Are the guest apartements for foreign Head os State etc. not at Christian VII. Manor
__________________
Stefan



Reply With Quote
  #269  
Old 05-06-2018, 04:19 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
As we know, this is not the numbers for F&M using their mobile and sending packages, even if S&H writes that this is the result of Frederik's use of his mobile . It's the numbers for their court, for both work and personal use.
The result is always for their "company".

Perhaps they should stop sending replies to all the "wishing Isabella a happy birthday" letters but then there would be complaints that they ignore well-wishers...
Frederik would have to be on the phone 24/7/365 in order to get that personal bill.

If their staff is issued top-notch (and secure) phones the bill for that alone can easily go way up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Are the guest apartements for foreign Head os State etc. not at Christian VII. Manor
Not sure. Perhaps they had one more made?
Reply With Quote
  #270  
Old 05-06-2018, 04:31 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 547
Don't they get a lot of things for free? In contrast to the BRF where they have to be very careful.
Reply With Quote
  #271  
Old 05-06-2018, 05:09 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,663
Yes, minor presents from the public, like scarves or a dress for one of the children or something like that are and can be worn without problems.

And more official presents, they are vetted though, like furnitures or a handmade garden bench, a fur hat or something like that. - Such presents also come without conditions, but of course they earn brownie points and if the present is published it a good indirect advertisement.

Then there are favors. Like putting a luxury yacht at disposal for a week in the Mediterranean. If the donator is not a part of the closer circle of friends, that is vetted as well and it is made clear that there can be no conditions made and that no return favors can be expected.
Of course the DRF also have friends staying at their places, like at Chateau Cayz and Trend and what not. - But only when the DRF are there as well!
However, considering that a number of the closer friends of the DRF own their own manors it's hardly a big deal.

Then there are discounts of course.
Even though they are not allowed to advertise the fact, it is seen as good money spend, if royals are seen to wear or known to use products from a certain company, certainly well worth a nice discount.

Finally, but not least, promotion. The DRF often wear or are publicly presented with Danish products, that are also on the export market. Like jewellery, fur, clothes, furnitures, decorative designs for the home and so on. - Some of the products are on loan or at permanent disposal, like the specially made tiaras.
That is actually encouraged, as it is seen to help the export of danish products, ensuring jobs and income.
Reply With Quote
  #272  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Yes, minor presents from the public, like scarves or a dress for one of the children or something like that are and can be worn without problems.

And more official presents, they are vetted though, like furnitures or a handmade garden bench, a fur hat or something like that. - Such presents also come without conditions, but of course they earn brownie points and if the present is published it a good indirect advertisement.

Then there are favors. Like putting a luxury yacht at disposal for a week in the Mediterranean. If the donator is not a part of the closer circle of friends, that is vetted as well and it is made clear that there can be no conditions made and that no return favors can be expected.
Of course the DRF also have friends staying at their places, like at Chateau Cayz and Trend and what not. - But only when the DRF are there as well!
However, considering that a number of the closer friends of the DRF own their own manors it's hardly a big deal.

Then there are discounts of course.
Even though they are not allowed to advertise the fact, it is seen as good money spend, if royals are seen to wear or known to use products from a certain company, certainly well worth a nice discount.

Finally, but not least, promotion. The DRF often wear or are publicly presented with Danish products, that are also on the export market. Like jewellery, fur, clothes, furnitures, decorative designs for the home and so on. - Some of the products are on loan or at permanent disposal, like the specially made tiaras.
That is actually encouraged, as it is seen to help the export of danish products, ensuring jobs and income.
Wow can you just imagine the backlash if other monarchies allowed this like the British, Spanish and Swedish?
Reply With Quote
  #273  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:32 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Wow can you just imagine the backlash if other monarchies allowed this like the British, Spanish and Swedish?
It's common knowledge, and often criticised, that the Swedish Royal Family often have the use of their friends private jets and boats.
Reply With Quote
  #274  
Old 05-06-2018, 01:35 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
It's common knowledge, and often criticised, that the Swedish Royal Family often have the use of their friends private jets and boats.
This may sound ignorant of me but I do not get why some not all royals want things for free when they themselves are wealthy and have a title that not majority has. Weird.
Reply With Quote
  #275  
Old 05-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
This may sound ignorant of me but I do not get why some not all royals want things for free when they themselves are wealthy and have a title that not majority has. Weird.
That can be controversial.

Speaking only about the DRF, they are not that wealthy and the apanage isn't that large and as long as their personal integrity is not in doubt, it's acceptable.
And there distinct advantages of the DRF flying in corporate jets than using military jets, both in regards to discretion, security and public expenses.

And not least: As long as the politicians are more than happy to live by the rule: I scratch your back, you scratch mine, they are not at all interested in rocking the boat. Certainly the current PM is almost notorious in living by that rule!
Not least since a very large part of the population live by that rule as well. Over here in Jutland it's the rule rather than the exception, certainly outside the major cities.
I give you half a pig for the freezer, you paint my garage.

I've said it before: We are basically a nation of used-horse dealers.
Reply With Quote
  #276  
Old 05-06-2018, 03:14 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Burke, United States
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That can be controversial.

Speaking only about the DRF, they are not that wealthy and the apanage isn't that large and as long as their personal integrity is not in doubt, it's acceptable.
And there distinct advantages of the DRF flying in corporate jets than using military jets, both in regards to discretion, security and public expenses.

And not least: As long as the politicians are more than happy to live by the rule: I scratch your back, you scratch mine, they are not at all interested in rocking the boat. Certainly the current PM is almost notorious in living by that rule!
Not least since a very large part of the population live by that rule as well. Over here in Jutland it's the rule rather than the exception, certainly outside the major cities.
I give you half a pig for the freezer, you paint my garage.

I've said it before: We are basically a nation of used-horse dealers.
Hmmm... interesting. Still what they are doing is wrong in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #277  
Old 10-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 36
With all the criticism of Prince Joachim's appanage recently I was wondering how Princess Benedikte is funded or if she is funded at all because I've never heard any criticism of it. Is she funded on a by engagement basis instead of a flat number or is it just that the Danish public like her better?
Reply With Quote
  #278  
Old 01-04-2020, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,212
I heard she gets a small allowance out of her sisters appanage (I think Henrik use to get 10% ring fenced as such for himself and Benedikte got an even smaller amount) I doubt it is enough to live on and keep staff etc and so probably mainly funds her staff, functions etc

edit - apparently Benedikte gets 1.5% of the Queen's appanage for "expenses connected to official obligations" which in 2018 was 1223879 kr which is about £139,620 or euro 163,742
Reply With Quote
  #279  
Old 05-14-2020, 01:09 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,663
The annual report from 2019 has been published: REGNSKABET | Kongehuset

In it we see that the DRF has turned a deficit of 1.5 million DKK into a surplus for 1.8 million DKK.
Mainly because investments in bonds and shares (that the company called the DRF has invested in, so to speak) have been profitable. And because the DRF got 2 million DKK more from the state, than in 2018.

The fortune or capital of the DRF in various forms amounts to 31.million DKK.

Benedikte has got a slight rise in her apanage of some 230.000 DKK.

- 2019 was unusually busy for the DRF with 580 official events listed.

M&F started 2019 with a slight deficit of 394.000 DKK, that has been reduced to minus 220.000 DKK.
The apanage to M&F was raised with around half a million from 2018.

The amount specifically allocated Mary rose with around 50.000 DKK.

Joachim has no court of his own anymore, as he no longer has an adjutant allocated to him as part time secretary, nor has Marie a LiW anymore. So the apanage goes to J&M personally and to cover their expenses as well as their "salary".

Joachim received 3.647.080 DKK in 2019 and as the DRF does not pat vat, that was reimbursed, and that amounted to 385.409 in 2019.
Reply With Quote
  #280  
Old 07-19-2020, 05:26 AM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 13,663
As this is about apanage, this must belong here.

This month was the last month Alexandra got her apanage.

But there is a clause. Alexandra can at any time get all or part of her apanage back, if she wish to. Also if she has another income.
Also, she has given up her apanage for "so long as she is on the job-market."
That means that when she retires at some point she is entitled to "retirement-apanage" so to speak. - It's an agreement akin to the one former ministers and MPs have.

Experts believe the clause about Alexandra again getting an apanage, should she wish to, is just in case she can't support herself. That is however unlikely, given that her personal economic situation by all accounts seem very sound.

However, should Alexandra request that she be granted an apanage again, she must expect a public sh*tstorm.

All this has been confirmed by the PM's office, Statsministeriet.

https://ekstrabladet.dk/flash/kongel...ttelem/8206872

-----------

Interesting.

That should be indicative in regards to other former and present DRF members. Joachim and our Marie (should Joachim die before her) in particular.
But perhaps also M&F's younger children at some point in the future.

I cannot imagine children of the monarch (Frederik) will be left without an income. Nor will they ever be on welfare. I'm convinced some sort of arrangement will be made, in case they for whatever reason are unable to support themselves.
Not doing so would be risky - it could lead to the royal getting an income by "unfortunate means."
It would also reflect badly on the DRF and the government to have a poor member of the DRF sitting on a bench somewhere or just as bad, leeching on someone rich.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
danish royals


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Danish Monarchy and Royal Family lyndaW The Electronic Domain 14 09-23-2020 06:47 PM
Costs, Income and Fortune of the Dutch Royal Family Henri M. Dutch Royals 225 09-17-2020 04:44 PM
Danish Royal Family Books paulette Royal Library 63 08-30-2020 08:08 PM
Costs and Finances of the Belgian Royal Family Marengo Royal Family of Belgium 118 07-16-2019 03:30 PM
Habsburg family fortune vincent vega Member Introductions 1 05-09-2008 07:07 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi althorp american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry baby names british royals chittagong cht daisy diana princess of wales dragons duke of cambridge dutch dutch royals earl of snowdon facts family life family tree future games hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hill historical drama history house of glucksburg imperial household intro italian royal family jacobite japan jewellery jumma kids movie king willem-alexander list of rulers mailing mountbatten nepalese royal jewels norway norwegian royal family palestine prince charles of luxembourg prince dimitri princess ariane princess chulabhorn walailak princess eugenie princess laurentien princess ribha queen louise random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royal wedding serbian royal family snowdon speech spencer family thailand thai royal family tracts uae customs unsubscribe videos wittelsbach working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:45 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×