Education and Preparation of the Next Royal Generation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think Muhler dislikes Leonor, at all. He's worried about her, which may or may not be justified, and I'm sure he would do the same if she were a boy who seemed likely to have physical issues.

It's also quite a way in the future. Leonor may be far tougher than she appears. Spain could switch to a civilian-led military. Or make the monarch's role entirely ceremonial. Leonor could be the most brilliant strategic mind of her generation and terrify everyone at GHQ, and it won't matter a bit that she's a small blonde female with whatever frontline experience because CINC is CINC. We just don't know at this point.

Absolutely.

I look at all the future teenage heirs and ask myself the question: How will they cope with the various demands that are expected of them? The military being only one of them.
And I want all of them to succeed. In whatever way that is possible. And that means adjusting their training to their abilities, be that mental or physical.
I think it's cruel to expect an heir to complete a course or embark on a career where they are in great risk of failing. The pressure on them is hard enough as it is.

I served altogether for five years in the armed forced, including Croatia in the 90's. We had quite a few women there and they were a huge asset! I simply cannot emphasize that enough. They made a big difference in the unit cohesion and behavior, in the way we conducted our work there as well as in how we viewed and treated the civilian population. And last but not least: Female soldiers sometimes defused a situation with the local militias that could easily have gone out of control.
But back to the physical aspect: Carrying a backpack and equipment weighing 25-35 kilos is expected of conscripts, male and females alike, during boot camp. That's why they are given a training schedule to follow even before they report on the first day.
Yet, quite a few conscripts are send home, despite passing the first tests. For all sorts of reasons. - Why should it be that different for the future heirs?
The difference is if my daughter is send home, no one but her family and friends cares. If a future heir is send home, it's front page news. And remembered forever.

Okay, but why should it be Leonor who's sent home? Because she looks small and weak? Given what she has to do, she will either manage or do something else — and because she is a girl, people will understand and make allowances.

If a future heir washes out, people only remember it until something else happens... like any problem or scandal. It's also an opportunity to do something worthy enough to make people forget.

Okay, but why should it be Leonor who's sent home? Because she looks small and weak? Given what she has to do, she will either manage or do something else — and because she is a girl, people will understand and make allowances.

If a future heir washes out, people only remember it until something else happens... like any problem or scandal. It's also an opportunity to do something worthy enough to make people forget.

In my estimation, because she has the physique of a fashion model, but not the physique of an athlete. She's fine-boned.

And she does indeed have the advantage of being a girl, so a different path can be carved out for her.

And if it's any consolation: I would have even more misgivings if Prince Joachim's son Henrik was a future heir. While being a very bright boy, he has a frail physique - and asthma.
And I was pretty critical when another of Joachim's sons opted out of the officer's academy a couple of years ago. I said then and meant it, that it was due to a lack of willpower and commitment - as well as an unnecessary public failure for the young man.

In my estimation, because she has the physique of a fashion model, but not the physique of an athlete. She's fine-boned.

And she does indeed have the advantage of being a girl, so a different path can be carved out for her.

And if it's any consolation: I would have even more misgivings if Prince Joachim's son Henrik was a future heir. While being a very bright boy, he has a frail physique - and asthma.
And I was pretty critical when another of Joachim's sons opted out of the officer's academy a couple of years ago. I said then and meant it, that it was due to a lack of willpower and commitment - as well as an unnecessary public failure for the young man.

It was a bit of a rhetorical question. She may look delicate now. Although she probably has Letizia's physique, we don't know if it will hold when she's older, and as I and others keep saying, looks don't necessarily translate to action. Fashion models have quite a bit of endurance. And speaking of which...

Yes, Nikolai found out rapidly the military was not for him. And now he is better known as a modeling success. He doesn't appear to be living in disgrace, even if it seems like he failed or did so unnecessarily. He's done the resilient thing and managed.

And my point is simply that there are plenty of women serving with the same physique (though I can't in good conscience say that I have the physique of a fashion model! But I like it!). I did it. I know many others who did.

And actually, carrying weight was not the hardest part of my training, by a long shot. I still to this day usually volunteer to take more stuff in my sack when hiking with others, in addition to strapping a baby on my front. It's all core strength, not muscle mass. Ballerinas are strong, but they don't have bulging muscles. I'm built like a ballerina. If Leanor is like me, the hardest part will be pull-ups. Which I'm sure she'll master prior to training, just like I did. I certainly didn't show up at Basic, not knowing what to expect. I knew I could do everything necessary beforehand.

I agree it will be humiliating if an heir has to drop of training. But such is life. It would be equally humiliating if they failed out of school, but they still go to school. We shouldn't let the possibility of failure stop us from trying. (And I don't hold it against Nikolai for realizing military service wasn't for him. I respect that he tried. It's not for everyone.)

But I think it's exciting that Spain will have an heir who will train as her father did. I support women in the military. Even really skinny ones. :flowers:

:previous: May I be proven wrong - as I have so often before. ?;)

I wonder if Leonor will take the same route as her father. I have doubts about it. There are reports that she will take military training, but those reports imply that she will take it as a supplement during her University years. Which means that it won't be like her father did, nor even 1 year in military training like Elisabeth.

I think JC forged a lot of alliances with people he met during his military training, close friends and allies who were crucial in the years to come, when he came to power and beyond. I don't know to what extent Felipe was able to or had to find allies who are still by his side today as the circumstances compared to JC had already changed when Felipe did his training. But given that he is the Commander in Chief, his contacts have to be excellent and based on trust.
Leonor will certainly do military training in Army, Airforce, Navy but of course there are many ways to do it. Does she have to crawl through the mud or do lots of highly demanding physical exercises? I guess the training will be tailor made for her and see what works. But at the end of the day she needs an excellent connection into the Armed Forces and she needs to be taken seriously to some extent. Of course the Commander in Chief cannot be in the front line etc but there are other ways to earn the respect that is essential. I am sure Felipe is very aware of that and will have a good solution for whatever the circumstances will be for his heiress.

Last edited:
Leonor is as thin as Isabel of Belgium was at 15, and she still has two years, almost three, to go to the army.
The normal thing would be for her to go through the three academies as her father did and for her to do it like everyone else, a year or a full course for each one. Felipe, embarked on the Juan Sebastián Elcano, and was an excellent pilot (his coaches were quite afraid of him because a failure can always happen and especially when you fly in a fighter) and the infantry cost him more.
In no way is he going to mix university with army; first there will be his military training and then the university. It will be at the age of 17, almost 18, when the princess has to join the army. To assume Leonor's failure is quite absurd. Her army is a professional in Spain, voluntary, and she will not have a typical career, but in order to be able to move up the grade with her fellow promotion, she has to take the full three courses.
So at 20 she will start the university that will be adapted especially for her, as was done with her father with different subjects in different disciplines such as Law, Economics, etc.
It would not be a shame if Leonor had an injury while in the army, because many friends of mine, men or women, have had mishaps, they usually stay at the military base or go home if they need more time It is a risk of physical activities and military training.
I do not understand that someone assumes that Leonor "is going to be injured and that that would be a shame." I assure you that we are very proud of Leonor and how she is being educated.
Being pretty, blonde, blue-eyed, and slim doesn't make you useless. I think that Leonor is responding perfectly to what we expect of her, but at any moment it could be different as with any of her heirs. Perhaps someone does not go to the army or does not get good grades or has a rebellious time. Who can know that? No one. It cannot be assumed that "Leonor will not be able to perform her function adequately a priori. Just as it cannot be said of her other heirs.

Sorry, I couldn't finish.
The current army is very specialized and there are many positions where Leonor can fit in just like anyone who goes through the army.
She will surely stand out in some facet more than in another but so far the navy does not attract her at all. I suppose she will be more attracted to aviation, since her example and her "heart" are from her father hahaha hers.
Over time we will see what is the most important training of Leonor in the army. She can be an excellent tank driver, or pilot, or love the navy. Who knows?
I also have to clarify, because I said so myself, that it seems that Sofía's military training has been denied, for now, by Zarzuela, because if the deadlines for the heiress have not yet been communicated, they are not going to do so for an infanta. .
Patience. Everything comes

I have never claimed Leonor (or her sister) is useless.

I have merely expressed concern that she may face public disappointment, because she may, repeat may, not be able to live up the physical or mental demands of military training, because many people may have too high expectations of her.
The pressure on her will be high enough as they are.

Spain has a professional military. That means that Leonor's mates will be people who are determined to have a career in the military.
Prince Nikolai of DK, who was to become an officer of the reserves, had a change of heart. But he found himself among young people who really wanted to become officers! And no doubt met very little sympathy.
Leonor will have to complete anything she signs up for, whether tank driver, pilot or submariner with equal determination. Because when the going gets tough, any help or sympathy from her mates will go out the window, if she doesn't pull her full weight or she gets a treatment that smells of favoritism. - "Yeah, little miss princess here is sure to graduate, no matter what. We mere mortals have to work for it."
Because who says Leonor really would like a military career? For all we know Leonor may be a couch potato, for whom the idea of crawling through mud has no attraction whatsoever.
And if her mind is not into it, ten years of military service is an awful long time!

Having said that: I cannot imagine Leonor as a fighter pilot. It takes years of intensive training and I don't see the Spanish state invest a small fortune in someone who cannot be deployed or be expected to be operational.
Not when there are other candidates, who can.
And as for being a tank driver - that also includes having to haul shells in through narrow hatches if need be. Fast! They weigh in the order of 30 kilos a piece AFAIK... ;)

What I can see her do is indeed to be a pilot in smaller fixed winged planes. Surveillance, patrol, light transport, coast guard - crucial but not particular glamorous or sexy jobs. That's pretty safe for an heir, while still being important.

I assure you that his father was an excellent fighter pilot, and it only took him a year; he was one of his first (can't remember if he was the first to promote him, but he was excellent). It's like when you leave college with a cum laude grade, which does not mean that you are the best lawyer in the world later, but you start with the best grades.
I don't understand why you deny everything I say. For me it is incomprehensible.
It is clear that no crown prince or heiress can have a normal military career, but more than enough to go through all three armies and graduate. From that moment on, you can continue climbing in the army or simply retire. In the case of Leonor, she will continue in contact with the three armies and will get to promote when it is her turn to promote her.

The first time a fighter pilot flies alone, he is called in Spanish "Suelta" and a small "T" is made on the back of his neck.
This video, it is a pity that it is not in English, it is very interesting, about the prince's passage through the Spanish military aviation.
I recommend it.
He was so young and looked so sad to leave his companions that he says everything that he enjoyed at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never claimed Leonor (or her sister) is useless.

I have merely expressed concern that she may face public disappointment, because she may, repeat may, not be able to live up the physical or mental demands of military training, because many people may have too high expectations of her.
The pressure on her will be high enough as they are.

Spain has a professional military. That means that Leonor's mates will be people who are determined to have a career in the military.
Prince Nikolai of DK, who was to become an officer of the reserves, had a change of heart. But he found himself among young people who really wanted to become officers! And no doubt met very little sympathy.
Leonor will have to complete anything she signs up for, whether tank driver, pilot or submariner with equal determination. Because when the going gets tough, any help or sympathy from her mates will go out the window, if she doesn't pull her full weight or she gets a treatment that smells of favoritism. - "Yeah, little miss princess here is sure to graduate, no matter what. We mere mortals have to work for it."
Because who says Leonor really would like a military career? For all we know Leonor may be a couch potato, for whom the idea of crawling through mud has no attraction whatsoever.
And if her mind is not into it, ten years of military service is an awful long time!

Having said that: I cannot imagine Leonor as a fighter pilot. It takes years of intensive training and I don't see the Spanish state invest a small fortune in someone who cannot be deployed or be expected to be operational.
Not when there are other candidates, who can.
And as for being a tank driver - that also includes having to haul shells in through narrow hatches if need be. Fast! They weigh in the order of 30 kilos a piece AFAIK... ;)

What I can see her do is indeed to be a pilot in smaller fixed winged planes. Surveillance, patrol, light transport, coast guard - crucial but not particular glamorous or sexy jobs. That's pretty safe for an heir, while still being important.

I assure you that his father was an excellent fighter pilot, and it only took him a year; he was one of his first (can't remember if he was the first to promote him, but he was excellent). It's like when you leave college with a cum laude grade, which does not mean that you are the best lawyer in the world later, but you start with the best grades.
I don't understand why you deny everything I say. For me it is incomprehensible.
It is clear that no crown prince or heiress can have a normal military career, but more than enough to go through all three armies and graduate. From that moment on, you can continue climbing in the army or simply retire. In the case of Leonor, she will continue in contact with the three armies and will get to promote when it is her turn to promote her.

I don't think doing a stint in each of the branches of the military is required of any other heir. That's a Spanish thing; and just being promoted because of duration without doing anything doesn't seem really valuable and might be discouraging for those that work hard to obtain those higher ranks. But I guess everyone knows that is what is to be expected...

"Today, Prince Felipe piloted a 'Euroflighter' fighter-bomber for the first time, considered by Defense to be the most modern combat aircraft in the Air Force, which the heir to the throne of Spain has described as "the perfect machine".

The Prince, from the Sevillian base of Morón de la Frontera, has highlighted the "feeling of power" of the ship, which can reach a speed of almost 2,500 kilometers per hour, and has affirmed that Spain "is really in the vanguard", he collects The country"

https://www.20minutos.es/data/img/2008/04/21/800058.jpg
https://www.20minutos.es/data/img/2008/04/21/800060.jpg

"He is also a Helicopter Pilot, with aptitude for instrument flight in the 402 Squadron of the Air Forces of the Air Force. He is in possession of the Army and Navy Helicopter Pilot Wings. From September 1999 to June 2000 he carried out a course on Updating Knowledge in Security and Defense."

What I mean is that he continued as he will, his specialization for years when he can and will continue to be in contact with the military all his life.
Can you imagine a future king acting as a military pilot in any war? I doubt it. Thank you

I don't think doing a stint in each of the branches of the military is required of any other heir. That's a Spanish thing; and just being promoted because of duration without doing anything doesn't seem really valuable and might be discouraging for those that work hard to obtain those higher ranks. But I guess everyone knows that is what is to be expected...

Yes, in Spain we take the preparation of our heirs very seriously, but I have to tell you that below I explain that Prince Felipe never left the army and continued taking tough adaptation courses.
Privileges? The fact of being a royal family already carries privileges but also a hard life
On the other hand, I forgot to comment that we would never be disappointed if Leonor suffered an injury while in the army. I don't see the reason for this "disappointment" when thousands of soldiers go through the same accidents.

I try to explain politely that in Spain the heir is ALWAYS in contact with his army and updating his knowledge.
Perhaps my English is so horrible that what I am saying is not understood, so I apologize for that, but I reiterate: the heirs are always updating their training in the army.

I take advantage of the fact that this thread is about the formation of the heiress(formation of heirs) , Princess Leonor, to say that a lot of importance is also given to language learning
Leonor, not only is bilingual in English and Spanish, but also speaks Catalan like a native, she learns Basque "Euskera", and sources from Zarzuela tell us that she will surprise us when we hear her in that language pleasantly; apparently the Galician is given something worse.
She is also fluent in French (her mother, Queen Letizia also has extensive knowledge of this language) and the king always says that she asks them to speak French to become even more familiar and have more knowledge of the language.
She has been learning Arabic since she was little, so she must have extensive knowledge, although it is a difficult language.
Of course I am unaware of the formation of other heirs of royal houses different from the Spanish one, at least in depth.

I think that Christian, Elisabeth, Catharina-Amalia and Ingrid Alexandra must also know English. It is likely that Estelle is also learning English.
Does anyone know what languages young monarch heirs are learning?

I believe Prince George and his siblings are learning Spanish from their Nanny as well as in school too. I would hope he would begin to learn more. It would be easier for all 3 siblings learning a foreign language as they can practice with each other.jmoo

https://www.rd.com/article/prince-george-speak-language/

It would be wonderful news if they learned Spanish in school, because what was said last year is that George could count "from one to ten" in Spanish ... which is not a big deal.
If you study it at school, I congratulate you because it is the second most widely spoken language in the world after Chinese, although to be bilingual you need more than internships in a school, but I honestly love the idea that at least , have some notions.
I imagine the Dutch princesses will speak a Castilian-Argetino (which is like an English-American) since their mother is Spanish-speaking.
Do the little princes of Denmark speak French like their grandfather? I would love to know.
English entered the Spanish royal family through Alfonso XII, and then to please Queen Ena, who by the way, say the daughters of the Queen Consort Victoria Eugenia, that her mother spoke Spanish very well, and that only her it cost a bit of work "las g and la j":flowers:

I believe that the Crown Princess of Belgium will surely speak the three official languages of Belgium, which are French, German and the Flemish variant of Dutch.

Yes, in Spain we take the preparation of our heirs very seriously, but I have to tell you that below I explain that Prince Felipe never left the army and continued taking tough adaptation courses.
Privileges? The fact of being a royal family already carries privileges but also a hard life
On the other hand, I forgot to comment that we would never be disappointed if Leonor suffered an injury while in the army. I don't see the reason for this "disappointment" when thousands of soldiers go through the same accidents.
As do other royal houses. The way the preparation looks like is different but that doesn't mean that Spain takes it more seriously than other countries. They just value different things.

I try to explain politely that in Spain the heir is ALWAYS in contact with his army and updating his knowledge.
Perhaps my English is so horrible that what I am saying is not understood, so I apologize for that, but I reiterate: the heirs are always updating their training in the army.
As you spoke about 'no crown prince or heiress' I supposed that you were talking in general and not just about Spain. As currently Spain doesn't have a crown prince (a title that isn't even used in Spain). So, that might have caused this misunderstanding.

I take advantage of the fact that this thread is about the formation of the heiress (formation of heirs) , Princess Leonor, to say that a lot of importance is also given to language learning
Leonor, not only is bilingual in English and Spanish, but also speaks Catalan like a native, she learns Basque "Euskera", and sources from Zarzuela tell us that she will surprise us when we hear her in that language pleasantly; apparently the Galician is given something worse.
She is also fluent in French (her mother, Queen Letizia also has extensive knowledge of this language) and the king always says that she asks them to speak French to become even more familiar and have more knowledge of the language.
She has been learning Arabic since she was little, so she must have extensive knowledge, although it is a difficult language.
Of course I am unaware of the formation of other heirs of royal houses different from the Spanish one, at least in depth.

The only European royal house in which language learning seems not a priority is the British one. Most other heirs (and their siblings) also learn multiple languages from an early age.

Given that she attended American summer camps I have no doubt she speaks English but is there any evidence that she is indeed 'native' in Catalan and French. A prepared speech in a language isn't evidence of that imho; has she been conversing in Catalan? I don't think I've ever heard her speak French...

It is wonderful that she is also working on mastering Euskera; that certainly won't be easy. I am sure the Basque people look forward to being surprised by her language skills in their language.

I wonder why they picked 'Arabic' as another language for her to learn. Probably because of the close ties to Morocco and Arabic being the shared language in the Middle-East?

It would be wonderful news if they learned Spanish in school, because what was said last year is that George could count "from one to ten" in Spanish ... which is not a big deal.
If you study it at school, I congratulate you because it is the second most widely spoken language in the world after Chinese, although to be bilingual you need more than internships in a school, but I honestly love the idea that at least , have some notions.
I imagine the Dutch princesses will speak a Castilian-Argetino (which is like an English-American) since their mother is Spanish-speaking.
Do the little princes of Denmark speak French like their grandfather? I would love to know.
English entered the Spanish royal family through Alfonso XII, and then to please Queen Ena, who by the way, say the daughters of the Queen Consort Victoria Eugenia, that her mother spoke Spanish very well, and that only her it cost a bit of work "las g and la j":flowers:

I believe that the Crown Princess of Belgium will surely speak the three official languages of Belgium, which are French, German and the Flemish variant of Dutch.
I doubt Elisabeth speaks German fluently but it is not too hard to understand with some classes if one speaks Dutch (as she does). So, my guess is that she is fluent in Dutch, French and English (most likely in that order); and probably is at an intermediate level of German.

Which little Danish princes are you thinking of? Henrik and Athena are living in Paris and have a French speaking mother; so they clearly speak French and I expect Joachim passed that language on to his sons as well. I don't know about Frederik's children. They surely speak Danish and English; French is most likely their 'third' language.

Amalia, Alexia and Ariane grew up bilingual (Dutch and Spanish) and will have learned English from an early age. We do know that Amalia also took Chinese in high school; and they most likely have an intermediate level of German and French. Unfortunately, I don't think they speak the Netherlands' second language: Frisian.

Last edited:
I think that Christian, Elisabeth, Catharina-Amalia and Ingrid Alexandra must also know English. It is likely that Estelle is also learning English.

Estelle? Absolutely. English is pretty much a second language in Sweden.
And language skills are crucial for royals nowadays. In fact it has always been crucial.
Only 100 years ago you would have had real problems finding a prominent royal anywhere in Europe who couldn't speak at least two languages - fluently.
There are so many good reasons, for anyone, to learn a second language. For royals it is simply a must.
Apart from that most of the royals are related or personal friends and they need to talk and write each other from time to time. So learning English is the absolute minimum requirement. Christian and Alexia have been singing and dancing in a video, so they no doubt speak English among themselves.

The teenage heirs may also learn Chinese (Mandarin) and perhaps Spanish, since so many on this planet have these two languages as their first language.

Christian is AFAIK fluent in English. English speaking mother, family who are English speakers and an English nanny early on.
He may also learn French, since at least a part of his family are French and the whole DRF, excluding Mary, are fluent in French.
We don't know yet, whether Christian will share his father's love for Greenland, but if he does, he may learn at least basic Greenlandic.
Christian will at least be able to understand Norwegian and Swedish by now. And he may learn German as well, because Germany is a neighbor and the most important trading partner Denmark has.

"Today, Prince Felipe piloted a 'Euroflighter' fighter-bomber for the first time, considered by Defense to be the most modern combat aircraft in the Air Force, which the heir to the throne of Spain has described as "the perfect machine".

What I mean is that he continued as he will, his specialization for years when he can and will continue to be in contact with the military all his life.
Can you imagine a future king acting as a military pilot in any war? I doubt it. Thank you (1)

On the other hand, I forgot to comment that we would never be disappointed if Leonor suffered an injury while in the army. I don't see the reason for this "disappointment" when thousands of soldiers go through the same accidents. (2)

I allowed myself to shorten your quotes and add numbers. ?

It's not a question of denying what you say, I just don't agree. And that's the whole point of this forum. It's nothing personal.

Are you saying King Felipe learned not only to fly, but became a fully qualified fighter pilot in just one year? Including learning dog fighting, bombing, night flying, reconnaissance flying, intercepting and survival training?
More likely he learned to fly a Eurofighter in one year, which sounds much more plausible to my skeptical mind. But not becoming a qualified combat pilot.
There is a considerable difference here.

Leonor, just like her father, would have to learn to fly from the very beginning. Propeller airplane, training jet, before even being allowed at the controls of a fighter. That takes a long time of intensive training.
There is a reason why so few people make it to fighter pilot.
That is if she even share her father's interest and skills in flying, which is far from certain.

(1) You are right. There is no way in this world an heir would be allowed fly combat missions.
There is the risk of being shot down and taken prisoner. Imagine Leonor in the hands of Islamic State or some militia in Sahara. The thought alone is nightmarish!
But there are also diplomatic concerns: Spain ends up being at war with Never Never Land. Leonor is deployed and drops bombs, destroying things and killing people. Can you imagine Leonor (or any other heir) visiting that land ten years later, officially representing Spain, when she has actually killed people there?
Then there is the risk of killing civilians, or killing soldiers from your own side. It happens all the time in war. And if it's an unpopular war, Leonor (or other heirs) may face demonstrators holding signs saying: Baby Killer!!
- So heirs won't be deployed in combat.

(2) I think your post illustrates my point, in regards to expectations.
I understand and applaud your respect and fondness for Leonor, but she is not Rambo, nor is she a super-woman. She is a fifteen year old girl. A human being with strength and limitations like all human beings.
I simply do not subscribe to the idea that heirs can just pursue any military career, like being a tank driver or fighter pilot. No, they can't. One or two of the current heirs may be able to join an elite force - perhaps.
But taking it for granted that this is something they can just do, that's having way too high expectations of them.
You may not be disappointed. But do you speak for the rest of the Spanish people? Or the Spanish press?
When I think about some of the things the Spanish press has written, and been allowed to write, about Queen Letizia, I don't expect Leonor will get any mercy or understanding.

It is known that Nikolai and Felix have studied French at school. Henrik and Athena are of course fluent in French.

Not sure about M&F's children.

Victoria and Daniel hired a nanny from Australia to Estelle in the autumn 2013, when she was 1,5 years old, to speak english with her. After she left her job in 2016, they hired another nanny from Australia. Information officer Ulrika Näsholm from the swedish royal court said to swedish press in 2014 that Estelle both speaks and understands a lot of English.

Last edited:
Given that she attended American summer camps I have no doubt she speaks English but is there any evidence that she is indeed 'native' in Catalan and French. A prepared speech in a language isn't evidence of that imho; has she been conversing in Catalan? I don't think I've ever heard her speak French...

Oh, I can assure you that he speaks Catalan perfectly. In fact, better than some Catalans. Her Catalan is just perfect; even the most extreme independentistas, they recognize it.
In addition to the teachers she has, she can surely speak Catalan perfectly with her Urdangarín cousins ​​(who lived a large part of their lives in Barcelona until the financial scandal of their father and mother) and she can also practice it with your aunt Telma (and daughter Amanda), since they have lived in Barcelona until very recently.
As for Basque, we must wait, but why not trust what Zarzuela tells us? It would be absurd to learn only one language of the four that Spain has. I already told you that according to those same sources of information, Galician seems to be a little less fluent for her, but we have to check it.
As for the french language, it is a fact that the father of the crown princess himself has commented, so we cannot doubt the word of a king.

I must say that Basque is difficult because a unified Basque is not spoken throughout the Basque country and it can vary quite a bit from one town to another within the same Spanish Basque Country. Its pronunciation is not complicated although very different from Spanish, but it does not have very complex sounds. It is a language that uses some words that did not exist in its primitive vocabulary, and they are used in Spanish, such as "shark" ... which does not exist in Basque and I think the only thing that changes is that it does not have the accent "tiburon".

I assure you that I am Spanish, I am informed and I do not speak about what I do not know.
My question about the French language was for the children of the Danish heir couple.

Regarding other royal houses, I only know what I read, but being Spanish I am very interested in my royal family and I have never written that the other hereditary princes have a better or worse preparation or training, I simply speak of my own and it that i know
If you know other royal families better, just say so, if it is your taste, but I will not stop commenting on the formation of my princess or my infanta, who seem admirable so far.
I simply write about what I know, simply. You can, of course, do the same with other real houses. What is the problem? This is a topic for the formation of the princes and princesses heirs and that is what I do: give my opinion and give information.

Are you saying King Felipe learned not only to fly, but became a fully qualified fighter pilot in just one year? Including learning dog fighting, bombing, night flying, reconnaissance flying, intercepting and survival training?
More likely he learned to fly a Eurofighter in one year, which sounds much more plausible to my skeptical mind. But not becoming a qualified combat pilot.
There is a considerable difference here.

Have you not read what I have written about the military training of the prince, now a king that have sent in the another post? I do not want to bore anyone and I have only put a video from a long time ago, but the prince has thousands of hours of flight in fighters and he himself pilots his helicopter from Zarzuela when he has to travel to official events that require it
Do you also need another video flying helicopters?
It is clear that who does not want to see, does not see.
It is impossible that I do not understand, even watching King Felipe VI fly and pilot, so I will not continue with this empty dialogue. Greetings.

For Muhler

Did I say that Leonor is Rambo? This discussion is far from reasonable since it puts in me, words that I have not written.
Leonor will be SUPREME COMMAND OF THE SPANISH ARMED FORCES and I am sure that she will act as her father and she will be very united and well formed for her mission in the future.
If you do not think the same, it is her freedom of thought, just like mine, which by the way, of course I adore my princess and my infanta, that is why I am a monarchist and I am in a royalty forum. If I were a Republican, I wouldn't bother to have been here for many years. And if I am Spanish, the normal thing is that I am proud of my royal family; if you don't understand, it's not my problem.
Greetings.

"On May 27, 2015 Don Felipe participated in Zaragoza in the White Snake exercise of the Sanitary Brigade, from where he returned to La Zarzuela piloting the "Super Puma" helicopter of the 402 Air Force Squadron, the unit in charge of carrying out all the transports of high personalities of the State. Don Felipe himself and Don Juan Carlos have extensive experience in this type of helicopter and in this same squad."
Link video : https://www.abc.es/casa-del-rey/rey-felipe-vi/20150613/abci-video-helicoptero-201506122133.html
I could put thousands of examples, but this topic is not about the formation of King Felipe VI, so my apologies and thanks to all

Margrethe of Denmark speaks either five or six languages fluently, most of which I'm relatively certain she didn't know at the age of 15. It seems astonishing that Leonor would, considering she has to learn many other things as well. There is early language learning and there are "over-expectations".

I hope Leonor will not be giving speeches in French or Euskera or Arabic any time soon.

Margrethe of Denmark speaks either five or six languages fluently, most of which I'm relatively certain she didn't know at the age of 15. .

Is Prince Christian of Denmark also learning German? I would assume German would be considered mandatory for Danish royals in the past, but maybe it's not considered essential today?

Margrethe of Denmark speaks either five or six languages fluently, most of which I'm relatively certain she didn't know at the age of 15. It seems astonishing that Leonor would, considering she has to learn many other things as well. There is early language learning and there are "over-expectations".

I hope Leonor will not be giving speeches in French or Euskera or Arabic any time soon.

Actually, I think we will be able to hear her in Basque at the Príncipe de Viana awards, when her parents consider that it is safe to travel.
And Galician, we will have to wait for an official visit to Galicia, and it may be a long or little time, because there is no official agenda for the princess.
French or Arabic, we will have to wait for her to start visiting abroad, because those languages ​​are not used in Spain.
I must say that this same language training is being carried out with her sister, the Infanta Sofía.
When I talk about Leonor and the languages ​​that she speaks, we can also add Sofía; the pity is that we will not be able to hear Sofia speaking those languages ​​until a few years have passed.
I agree with you that the ability to learn languages ​​becomes more fluent since you are a very young child, although I also believe that a person who knows many languages ​​in early childhood will be an adult with ease for learning of other languages. Many greetings:flowers:

Oh sorry I think you say just the opposite
What amazes me is that Queen Margaret learned five languages after the age of 15, because the age to learn languages is in childhood, although perhaps, by marrying a French man, it helped her learn it more easily.
I have already commented that Queen Victoria Eugenia learned Spanish quite quickly and her own daughters said that she only had pronunciation problems to differentiate between "j" and "g"
I can assure you that the Castilian of Emerita Sofía is terrible after more than 60 years in Spain. Especially with the accent

Last edited:
I could make a guess at exactly what languages Margrethe knows and the order she learned them (I've seen her school notebook from German!...but society at the time >_>...so I have no idea if she speaks it fluently)... but Muhler undoubtedly knows this and much better than I do. So I will defer to him when he gets back. :)

There's nothing wrong with fervently adoring a set of royals, but it is very important to remember that everyone here feels that way about their own particular royals. And that's why we're all here. Supporting the royals you love doesn't mean needing to give the impression that yours are better than any others. It means knowing they are awesome and amazing enough to allow for discussion. ¡Salud! ?

Last edited:
Have you not read what I have written about the military training of the prince, now a king that have sent in the another post? I do not want to bore anyone and I have only put a video from a long time ago, but the prince has thousands of hours of flight in fighters and he himself pilots his helicopter from Zarzuela when he has to travel to official events that require it
Do you also need another video flying helicopters?
It is clear that who does not want to see, does not see.
It is impossible that I do not understand, even watching King Felipe VI fly and pilot, so I will not continue with this empty dialogue. Greetings.

For Muhler

Did I say that Leonor is Rambo? This discussion is far from reasonable since it puts in me, words that I have not written.
Leonor will be SUPREME COMMAND OF THE SPANISH ARMED FORCES and I am sure that she will act as her father and she will be very united and well formed for her mission in the future.
If you do not think the same, it is her freedom of thought, just like mine, which by the way, of course I adore my princess and my infanta, that is why I am a monarchist and I am in a royalty forum. If I were a Republican, I wouldn't bother to have been here for many years. And if I am Spanish, the normal thing is that I am proud of my royal family; if you don't understand, it's not my problem.
Greetings.

"On May 27, 2015 Don Felipe participated in Zaragoza in the White Snake exercise of the Sanitary Brigade, from where he returned to La Zarzuela piloting the "Super Puma" helicopter of the 402 Air Force Squadron, the unit in charge of carrying out all the transports of high personalities of the State. Don Felipe himself and Don Juan Carlos have extensive experience in this type of helicopter and in this same squad."
Link video : https://www.abc.es/casa-del-rey/rey-felipe-vi/20150613/abci-video-helicoptero-201506122133.html
I could put thousands of examples, but this topic is not about the formation of King Felipe VI, so my apologies and thanks to all

Fair enough.
This discussion ends here.

We seem to be talking past each other.

I could make a guess at exactly what languages Margrethe knows and the order she learned them (I've seen her school notebook from German!...but society at the time >_>...so I have no idea if she speaks it fluently)... but Muhler undoubtedly knows this and much better than I do. So I will defer to him when he gets back. :)

There's nothing wrong with fervently adoring a set of royals, but it is very important to remember that everyone here feels that way about their own particular royals. And that's why we're all here. Supporting the royals you love doesn't mean needing to give the impression that yours are better than any others. It means knowing they are awesome and amazing enough to allow for discussion. ¡Salud! ?

QMII speaks English, Swedish, German and French in pretty much that order. All four fluently.
To that can be added that she at least understands Faeroese and Icelandic. These two languages are basically dialects evolved from the old Nordic language.
English from her nanny and later on while studying as a teenager in Britain and of course also from school.
Swedish from her mother and Swedish side of her family.
German because that was mandatory at school at the time.
French was something well-bred people learned at the time and later on she married a Frenchman.
Faeroese because that's a part of the realm and combined with QMII passion for history and Iceland's affiliation with Denmark, something she probably did for fun and out of interest.

Is Prince Christian of Denmark also learning German? I would assume German would be considered mandatory for Danish royals in the past, but maybe it's not considered essential today?

I don't know.
He may have opted to learn German and/or French at school. I'm not even sure basic German is mandatory in schools anymore.
And it would depend on what line he opts for in high school. If he has an ear for languages, he may learn German, French, Latin and another language at high school. - All would come in handy in his future role. While science may be less useful for him as a future king.

Until 1848 and really until 1864 German was one of the languages of the Danish realm - which was multi-national until 1864.
Anyone with a reasonable education learned German. Civil servants had to learn German and most people whose work took them to Schleswig and Holstein or who married a German, learned at least basic German.
Prior to WWII most people left school after 7th grade. Other's continued for three years at an upper level, before many went on for three years to high school and then university. They all learned German, French, English and to some degree Latin, in that order and in that priority.
It was common well into the 1960's to go to France for a period after high school - for members of the higher middle-class and up. It was considered a part of their formative education. It is even more common now to travel abroad during the gap year after high school, but of course now it's the whole world they go to.

TV is the big teacher! And until around 1995, when much more (subtitled) options were available many people learned basic German, Norwegian and/or Swedish by watching the national channels in these countries.
If you lived in the western part of DK, like I did and do, you watched German TV as an alternative and had to understand German that way.
Those to the north, tended to watch Norwegian TV rather than German though.
But if you lived to the east, especially in Copenhagen, you watched Swedish TV and as such understood Swedish.
My dad had never been taught German, but he loved to watch German shows, so he was well into his middle-age when he learned basic German in order to get an idea of what was going on.

Have I written something that is not true? Because then I don't understand what "worship" you're talking about, nor what comparisons I make to other royals.
On the contrary, you flatter me if it seems that my princess's training is "exaggerated", because it is her royal education.
If you have something to add about the training-education of other heirs-heirs, you can inform us all, and I will not accuse you of "worshiping".
I only give information,

which by the way, of course I adore my princess and my infanta, that is why I am a monarchist and I am in a royalty forum.

If you are so concerned about others putting words in your mouth, perhaps you will be so kind as to not put them in mine. I never said "worship". I actually said everyone here feels the same way you do. Which means your feelings are nothing special. It's a discussion forum, not a presentation forum; not a posting of sacrosanct information forum.

If you want to truly be informative, it helps to source your claims with something, like the rules state. I'm sure there's a lot about the SRF to be translated.

Others are also more inclined to believe you if you have a more pleasant attitude with regards to discussion. If the language barrier makes it an issue, maybe speak to one of the Spanish-speaking mods or members. I'm done as well (and I won't even go into an incident I vividly remember from last fall); have a nice day. ?

Last edited:
actually NOT everyone "adores" or worships or feels a deep emotion about royals.... on this forum

I was always sure that Leonor spoke Catalan and English fluently, with some knowledge of Mandarin Chinese (there were reports years ago, but it seems it was Arabic instead?). I did not know she was learning Euskara right now (the Basque language), but since it is one of the languages of Spain, it is expected that she learns it (I thought she would learn it later, I don't know why though...).

Euskara is a very unique language. Unlike Germanic and Romance languages, Euskara is a language isolate, which means it is a language that is unrelated to any others. There are only a few alive language isolates in the world, as most are extinct. Learning Euskara will be very important not only for Spain and the Basque people but for the sake of the language continuity.

--

As for the other heirs. Amalia, Alexia and Ariene speak Dutch, Spanish and English (I'm sure their English will get better when they study abroad). Maybe they will learn German too?

Christian and his siblings speak Danish and English. Not sure about French or German, but does Frederik speak Greenlandic? If Christian learned Greenlandic that would be awesome. Also, what language is spoken in the Faroe Islands?

It would be great if George, Charlotte and Louis learn Spanish. I know English-speaking people don't feel the need to learn a second language, but I always thought and I still believe that learning a language brings many cognitive benefits, and should be encouraged.

Ingrid Alexandra and Estelle speak their respective languages and English, but they will in due course understand Swedish, Norwegian and Danish (I think Ingrid Alexandra already understands Swedish and Danish).

Elisabeth and her siblings obviously speak Dutch, French and English. I'm sure she understands German too, and I've seen her speak a few words in German, but I'm not sure about her fluency.

The Japanese royals know Japanese obviously and English, and some members know sign-language. I'm not sure if they speak another language.

The children of King Jigme Khesar and Queen Jetsun Pema will speak Dzongkha and English, and maybe Hindi later? Queen Jetsun Pema studied in India, and Bhutan has close ties with India. So it wouldn't surprise me if the little princes began to learn Hindi.

Jacques and Gabriella speak both English and French. And I somehow think they will only learn those two, or add one more, Africaner, who knows.

Charles of Luxembourg will learn the three languages of Luxembourg, French, German and Luxembourish. And he will learn English later on.

I was always sure that Leonor spoke Catalan and English fluently, with some knowledge of Mandarin Chinese (there were reports years ago, but it seems it was Arabic instead?). I did not know she was learning Euskara right now (the Basque language), but since it is one of the languages of Spain, it is expected that she learns it (I thought she would learn it later, I don't know why though...).

Euskara is a very unique language. Unlike Germanic and Romance languages, Euskara is a language isolate, which means it is a language that is unrelated to any others. There are only a few alive language isolates in the world, as most are extinct. Learning Euskara will be very important not only for Spain and the Basque people but for the sake of the language continuity.

--

As for the other heirs. Amalia, Alexia and Ariene speak Dutch, Spanish and English (I'm sure their English will get better when they study abroad). Maybe they will learn German too?

Christian and his siblings speak Danish and English. Not sure about French or German, but does Frederik speak Greenlandic? If Christian learned Greenlandic that would be awesome. Also, what language is spoken in the Faroe Islands?

It would be great if George, Charlotte and Louis learn Spanish. I know English-speaking people don't feel the need to learn a second language, but I always thought and I still believe that learning a language brings many cognitive benefits, and should be encouraged.

Ingrid Alexandra and Estelle speak their respective languages and English, but they will in due course understand Swedish, Norwegian and Danish (I think Ingrid Alexandra already understands Swedish and Danish).

Elisabeth and her siblings obviously speak Dutch, French and English. I'm sure she understands German too, and I've seen her speak a few words in German, but I'm not sure about her fluency.

The Japanese royals know Japanese obviously and English, and some members know sign-language. I'm not sure if they speak another language.

The children of King Jigme Khesar and Queen Jetsun Pema will speak Dzongkha and English, and maybe Hindi later? Queen Jetsun Pema studied in India, and Bhutan has close ties with India. So it wouldn't surprise me if the little princes began to learn Hindi.

Jacques and Gabriella speak both English and French. And I somehow think they will only learn those two, or add one more, Africaner, who knows.

Charles of Luxembourg will learn the three languages of Luxembourg, French, German and Luxembourish. And he will learn English later on.

Leonor could have an unusual talent for learning languages. If so, that will come in very handy later on.

AFAIK Frederik doesn't speak Greenlandic. Perhaps except for a few phrases, but I'm sure he understands some Greenlandic. West Greenlandic most likely. Greenland has two distinct dialects, east and west. But as their only live 27 people, 89 dogs and a budgie on the east coast, west Greenlandic is dominant.

They speak Faerose on the Faeroe Islands.
It is as close to the old Nordic language that was spoken in Scandinavia 1.000 years ago as we can come today. Of course the language has evolved but not nearly to the same extent as Swedish, Norwegian and Danish that are now far from how old Nordic sounded.
Icelandic, that is closely related to Faeroese, has also evolved from old Nordic, and they have a policy about avoiding using "foreign" words and expressions. Instead they put together Icelandic words for say server or mobile phone.
Finnish BTW is related to Hungarian and has little in common with the Germanic languages spoken in the rest of Scandinavia.

Japanese Empress Masako is a polyglot, fluent in at least 5 languages according to information released at the time of her engagement and wedding.

She had been preparing for a career in the diplomatic corps before she met her husband.

Back
Top Bottom