The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2020, 05:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpot View Post
Haha ok, but they don't have their own royal houses and have to abide by the British constitution.
No separate monarchy, yes.
Have to abide by the British constitution, no. In fact, very much have own separate constitutions.
But only the former matters for the purposes of this question.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpot View Post
Haha ok, but they don't have their own royal houses and have to abide by the British constitution.

Each of them has its own constitution. Australia and Canada for example are federal states, whereas the UK is unitary. Canada also has a constitutionally entrenched Charter of Rights and Freedoms , which the UK obviously lacks.

There are, however, other constitutional monarchies outside Europe whose monarch is not QEII, for example Japan and Malaysia.

Old 10-24-2020, 06:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Isn't King Mohammed of Morocco a constitutional monarch? I know he has some power, for example, electing the prime minister, but he is not absolute monarch like Sultan Hassanal of Brunei.

Moreover, I read somewhere that Thailand also allows female succession, but in case there is no male heir. So they practice male preference.

Isn't Bhutan a constitutional monarchy too? King Jigme Khesar became King under a new constitution, which I believe made the country more open to the world (and the King lost some power too with that constituition). Sorry if I'm writing this wrong, I never read deeply about the new constitution of Bhutan (was it in 2008?).
Old 10-24-2020, 06:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Morocco is a constitutional monarchy, but the King has more power than other monarchs in constitutional monarchies.
Bhutan and Thailand are also constitutional monarchies.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:01 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
No separate monarchy, yes.
Have to abide by the British constitution, no. In fact, very much have own separate constitutions.
But only the former matters for the purposes of this question.

I worded that wrong, I sure know those countries have their own constitutions, I only meant that when it comes to the actual monarchical matters.
Old 11-07-2020, 01:05 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think the preparation of Estelle is very good. From a very young age, she has been out and about doing age appropriate events, now that she gets older, the events get more serious. And she is super relaxed, very much used to the public eye.
She's not the CP as yet but will be on top of the list of the best prepared when she gets there.

https://i.imgur.com/KlyiJNL.jpg
Old 02-04-2021, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Such are the colleges of the princes of Europe.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/galeria.../3/?viewas=amp
Old 02-04-2021, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Such are the colleges of the princes of Europe.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/galeria.../3/?viewas=amp
Based on the title I was wondering which princes and princesses they would discuss as the younger generation is mostly attending secondary school; and hardly anyone (at least of the more prominent royals) is currently attending college (i.e., university). However, the article is about their schools (both secondary; Spain, Belgium, Denmark, Denmark and The Netherlands; and primary: the UK and Denmark (assuming that the twin's level is considered primary) and Sweden) - only for Elisabeth it is about post-secondary education: the military academy...

And it is clear they have no clue what type of school for example Christelijk Gymnasium Sorghvliet is (within the national system) as they only repeat what is written on the school's website. I guess that's the same for most other paragraphs.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Based on the title I was wondering which princes and princesses they would discuss as the younger generation is mostly attending secondary school; and hardly anyone (at least of the more prominent royals) is currently attending college (i.e., university).
I believe the headline's use of colegio for a primary or secondary school is correct, whereas a university would be universidad. Perhaps the Spanish-speaking members can comment.

In English, while universities are named as colleges in the United States, that is not the case in the United Kingdom. Eton College for instance is a secondary school and not a university.
Old 02-04-2021, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I believe the headline's use of colegio for a primary or secondary school is correct, whereas a university would be universidad. Perhaps the Spanish-speaking members can comment.

In English, while universities are named as colleges in the United States, that is not the case in the United Kingdom. Eton College for instance is a secondary school and not a university.
The Spanish version is absolutely correct (lived in Spain and walked by the 'colegio' that was attended by the Marichalar children almost daily at that time); my confusion was caused by the English translation.

Looks like my years in the States left its mark as I immediately thought about 'colleges' as 'higher education institutes'. Would speakers of BE think about 'primary and secondary schools' when people refer to colleges?
Old 02-04-2021, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The Spanish version is absolutely correct (lived in Spain and walked by the 'colegio' that was attended by the Marichalar children almost daily at that time); my confusion was caused by the English translation.

Looks like my years in the States left its mark as I immediately thought about 'colleges' as 'higher education institutes'. Would speakers of BE think about 'primary and secondary schools' when people refer to colleges?
It is the same in Portugal. "Colégio" has the same meaning as "Colegio" in spanish. However, in Portugal "Colégio" is a private institution (some have primary education only, while others have until middle school and high school). Where I live, "Colégio" is the synonym of a school for the weathly since most are not "free" (most have fees per semester).
Old 02-04-2021, 08:46 PM
Majesty

Which of the heirs is going to an actual boarding school?
Old 02-20-2021, 12:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Which of the heirs is going to an actual boarding school?

The Princess of Asturias will start boarding school in Wales next fall (September ?).
Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 AM
Majesty

Is it the same one to which Elisabeth of Belgium went?

While I watched the videos posted earlier I was thinking of the ages and stages of each of the different youngsters and I had to place them in their proper context. Princess Elisabeth, being the oldest was wonderfully poised and self possessed, Although her studies for the International Baccalaureate wer cut short by the advent of Covid 19 I am sure there has been remedial action for all those studying in Wales, but she has yet to attend the Military Academy and I should imagine, like her father and his royal contemporaries, there will be stints at diplomatic posts, etc. so she can become familiar with international affairs and probably do several short courses at different Universities around the world to familiarise herself with the world she will be a part of. Her multi-lingual abilities may even be furthered.

All the rest were basically children whose parents are making sure that their heir is not caught unprepared. But each child seemed pretty self confident and at ease in the situation in which they were filmed. Princess Ingrid Alexandra was bubbling happy and exuberant because she knew most of those present and it was a celebration. Because of that it was hard to determine her nature other than that she was a very happy young lady. Time will show as she goes. On the other hand I find Princess Leonor to be a very serious young lady and hope that her spell in Wales studying for the International Baccalaureate will be as fine a "finishing school" as it has been for King WA and Princess Elisabeth.

Princess Catherine Amalia is obviously at ease with the press with her parents present as is Prince Christian, but he has grown a lot since that clip was made:

https://us.hola.com/images/0262-109d...k-turns-15.jpg

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.BJ0Mww...id=ImgDet&rs=1

As to all the littles, I think they are all charming and like most kids, full of possibilities. I look forward to seeing how they all turn out and the inevitable surprises that lie in store.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Elisabeth is already at the military academy, she started in September 2020. She will be finishing in a few months, with university next on her plate.

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/b...0in%20Brussels.

And yes Leonor will be attending the same school as Elisabeth went to Wales. It has a royal history as Willem Alexander went there back in the day. As did Princess Raiyah.

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...-in-wales.html