CP Mary's Transformation from the "Girl Next Door": October 2006 - April 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
planetcher said:
Funny how Vanidades and Hola always call her a lawyer when referring to her former career.

Yes, they should call her a bachelor of law or LL.B instead, that's one of her academic titles. To become enlisted in the roll of solicitors (or the Australian equivalent of it) she would have to do a one year training course in addition to her academic degree. She chose to persue a career in her second Baccalaureate's topic: Commerce. In full she is BComm LL.B and could, if she hadn't given up her career in order to marry, ended up a Doctor Juris/MBA without that much academic tuition to go, as her working would have been considered as part of her tuition time. I guess it's easier for magazines who are not interested in the way the academic world works in Australia to call her a lawyer instead of explaining which law degree she actually has and what that means when it comes to the different ways to practise law. :flowers:

Tinika said:
Every time I see Mary's "before" photos I'm struck anew by just how much she has changed. Especially the 'popcorn' photo and the one in the red skirt. She's SO much thinner

I don't think the weight loss is astonishing. I guess she is not longer cooking for herself and her family but has someone doing it on her orders. SDo if she wants to eat healthy or even eats slimming diet fare, she can do it without any problem at all while Frderick can have what he wants. That's an enormous difference to a normal life - who has the time to prepare more than one dish for the family or who can cook delicious but fat-reduced meals on a day-to-day basis? Most people eat at least one meal in a staff canteen or cafeteria where the food normally is not up to preventing over-weights.
Plus Mary has time to work out on a regular basis - she is not like other young mums who have to care constantly for their little one but she can take the time off she needs to work out, going for a ride, walking the dog etc.

Both things together would make any woman into a slim and trim lady with a healthy looking skin.

If I was going to be the Crown Princess of a country, I might lose weight too. It's a natural thing to do when thrust in the spotlight. But I have to say that Mary was getting pretty skinny after Christian's birth but since she's pregnant, we're going to see a fuller Mary so no worries!

soCal girl said:
If I was going to be the Crown Princess of a country, I might lose weight too. It's a natural thing to do when thrust in the spotlight. But I have to say that Mary was getting pretty skinny after Christian's birth but since she's pregnant, we're going to see a fuller Mary so no worries!

You are absolutely right:flowers:

In anyway, we ALL try to be better, within the frame of our possibilities, Mary does the same. She thinks that she is better thin, OK, it is her right to believe it, maybe Frederik prefers her like this, any opipnion is respectable.

Some of Mary's old picture were completely new for me. Her chance is really astonishing. I don't believe that she is really at the aim of her chance. I'm quite sure that she is a perfectionist, she'll never be. I hope we will see her behaving more frankly and genuinely. At the moment she sometimes seems too artificial.
But I think most women would loose weight in her position. Always being photographed means also always being criticized and I could imagine that she is really self-critical, too.

Very interesting thread for those ( as me ) who don't know very well Mary Donaldson.

First, and I agree, I don't understand why the newspaper go on to call her a Laywer ( It's a tittle) that she was never been and ( I'm not sure) that she never pretend.

It's very easy to read Her C.V. that she never had hidden.

Then for her transformation, It's true What a change! Not in the structure, right ( no esthetic surgery ) but in the appearence and by the way in her mind.

It's because she is Crown Princess and she has to represant a crountry that she has to change her bearing. It's trus that she is successful in this operation or in this " training" . May be, plus the appearence, she had to suffer some mental changes because it's obvious that her looke was not the same, her gestual too.

I'm not sure that she is becoming more regal, but she is becoming very sophisticated and it fits her very well.

I think it's a true challenge for a Royal House, when the Crown Prince marry a foreigner very far awy of the standard of the court, to perform the Crown Princess.

For the Mary's case, the main difficulties, in my opinion, it was that she was a very natural, sport and haelthy girl of a country whithout so stricted rules and she had to adapted her at country with very ancient culture and specific language. The all at a century of the high modernity.

May be the most difficult not was fao Mary who is women obviously adaptable but for Fedreric who looks a little bit egoistic spoiled whymmy child.

May be I'm wrong but Mary looks more responsable that her husband and it's the reason why she is successful in her transformation.

Tinika said:
Every time I see Mary's "before" photos I'm struck anew by just how much she has changed. Especially the 'popcorn' photo and the one in the red skirt. She's SO much thinner, skin is many shades paler and has been dermatologically resurfaced...I'd venture to say she didn't have a whole lot of style before she became a princess. I'll echo what so many on this board have said: what a difference money can make!

Mary herself said she didn't care about clothes before. Now that she is able to look great, I'm sure she enjoys the way she looks very much!

I absolutely agree money time loads of help and anything is achievable. There is just no excuse for any of these CP's or other Princess etc to look anything but adorable. I just cannot believe anything else. I just think Mary is lovely and I love that she is Australian BUT we could all look that good given the chance. IMO

I don't agree that with us all having money , stylists etc we can all look that good- have you noticed some skinny celebs with all their money- they look rancid -money does not buy taste nor style IMO..Vic Beckham comes to mind.

Celrbrity and royality are two completely different areas. Loads of trouble is the order of the day when there is a notion that these two can and should be mixed.The Beckhams [oh dear] are celebrity and looking as she does particularly does not even rate a mention when discussing someone like Mary IMO and this is only IMO. Mary should look regal at all times for the rest like Victoria B I am not too interested.

Yes, but now the media is making royals celebrities. They are becoming one in the same thing.

Hi everyone :flowers:
I have seen this thread several times and I have tried to answer but always end up forgetting to do that.

In my opinion, it's clear that she has change in her appearance and that also she has lost weight. But regarding the question of the weight, all the brides I know have deliberately or just by stress lost weight. In the first case, just because they want to look their best. Quite likely she never thought her appearance to be so important before and was never so on the spot. But when everyone is looking at you, sooner or later you end up being more aware of how you look and what you dress. So I don't think that the marriage with Frederick might have been the main factor in the change of her appearance. Surely seeing herself so many times in so many photos has had some kind of effect and surely any change is more related to her losing weight, is more related to that than to anything else.

I'm in no doubt that her marriage, and becoming a princess, has also had some kind of effect, but mainly in the way she dresses, at least in public. She is a public person and because of that it is expect she will have some specific appearance and look and will dress in a way expected in her new role.

I don't think you could expect going through something like that and not change. But I don't think she might have changed so much internally, and by that I mean her personality.

In any case all people change through life and you are never the same person you were some years before. The experiences you life have a natural effect in yourself and your personality. And that applies to everyone and not only her. :flowers:

olga7777 said:
Hi everyone :flowers:
I have seen this thread several times and I have tried to answer but always end up forgetting to do that.

In my opinion, it's clear that she has change in her appearance and that also she has lost weight. But regarding the question of the weight, all the brides I know have deliberately or just by stress lost weight. In the first case, just because they want to look their best. Quite likely she never thought her appearance to be so important before and was never so on the spot. But when everyone is looking at you, sooner or later you end up being more aware of how you look and what you dress. So I don't think that the marriage with Frederick might have been the main factor in the change of her appearance. Surely seeing herself so many times in so many photos has had some kind of effect and surely any change is more related to her losing weight, is more related to that than to anything else.

I'm in no doubt that her marriage, and becoming a princess, has also had some kind of effect, but mainly in the way she dresses, at least in public. She is a public person and because of that it is expect she will have some specific appearance and look and will dress in a way expected in her new role.

I don't think you could expect going through something like that and not change. But I don't think she might have changed so much internally, and by that I mean her personality.

In any case all people change through life and you are never the same person you were some years before. The experiences you life have a natural effect in yourself and your personality. And that applies to everyone and not only her. :flowers:

PERFECTLY PERFECTLY said. You are absolutely right and you deeply went through ALL the aspects of the changes of Mary's life. Mary is a human being and we must judge her like this. Her effort to well accomplish her role, and to really deserve Frederic's love and trust, its wonderfull and if this effort is being translated by a loose of weight or a most formal behavior, it is respectable.

I think what's amazing is her posture and skin transformation.. does anyone know what products she uses?

They sell his products at Harvey Nichols as well, I've tried it but wasn't overly impressed.

I never understood the fuss about Mary's tranformation. I say thank god she changed her appearence. With clothes and style, what did we expect? I wish though, that she had kept her teint.

But I don't understand why she is so critisized for having changed. As a crown princess, all the sudden, she has to represent a country, and is an official person, who is intensly discussed on the internet and in Denmark.

Last edited:
MissSaga said:
I never understood the fuss about Mary's tranformation. I say thank god she changed her appearence. With clothes and style, what did we expect? I wish though, that she had kept her teint.

But I don't understand why she is so critisized for having changed. As a crown princess, all the sudden, she has to represent a country, and is an official person, who is intensly discussed on the internet and in Denmark.
Perhaps the endless praise of her "natural beauty", when clearly in some ways she is as manufactured as Joan Rivers is what irks some!

Little_star said:
Perhaps the endless praise of her "natural beauty", when clearly in some ways she is as manufactured as Joan Rivers is what irks some!

Clearly, Mary is "...as manufactured as Joan Rivers..." I totally see what you mean, Little Star. :rolleyes: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/Joan [url=http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k69/KateGT/pic33.jpg]Mary[/url]

Gross exaggerations are not needed when trying to make a convincing argument. Personally speaking, I do believe Mary is a natural beauty, meaning she hasn't had any major work done. Nonetheless, it's not out of the question that she may have had Microdermabrasion, but who hasn't these days? I've had it done and I'm not ashamed to admit it, but do I look like a plastic surgery victim? No, far from it, if anything my skin looks a million times better.

Speaking of Joans, Joan Crawford once said, "If you want to see the girl next door, go next door". Mary is a Crown Princess, she'll be a Queen one day. She needs to suit glitter, glamour and wealth - what she doesn't need to do is look like a tramp or even worse, a Hilton daughter. She is what she is, I don't think she is the girl next door, I'm glad she isn't the girl next door and I think those who want her to be should take Joan's advice and go next door. To say she's been cosmetically enhanced is a bit OTT IMO as there's no evidence whatsoever and she certainly isn't in the realm of Joan Rivers if she has. Joan crosses her legs and her jaw drops open.

Mary is younger than joan of course she look better than her. I don't personally see where Mary is so beautiful I think she is pretty but nothing extraodinary. Joan looks rediculous to me .

GlitteringTiaras said:
Clearly, Mary is "...as manufactured as Joan Rivers..." I totally see what you mean, Little Star. :rolleyes: Joan http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k69/KateGT/pic33.jpg]MaryMary

Gross exaggerations are not needed when trying to make a convincing argument. Personally speaking, I do believe Mary is a natural beauty, meaning she hasn't had any major work done. Nonetheless, it's not out of the question that she may have had Microdermabrasion, but who hasn't these days? I've had it done and I'm not ashamed to admit it, but do I look like a plastic surgery victim? No, far from it, if anything my skin looks a million times better.
The Joan Rivers comparison was a poor one I admit. She was the first person that came to mind.

I personally think she's had alot more than simply microdermabrasion done. Yes, she's lost vast amounts of weight, but even that doesn't change the fact that very specific facial features look dramatically different. Before, anyone asks, no I don't have any proof, I'm not her doctor. It's my opinion based on photos I've seen of her over the years. I do think she's had the good sense to have things done gradually making it less obvious though.

As for her looks I don't think Mary is beautiful (or particularly pretty) pre-Fred and even now I find the calls about her "beauty" very odd. She seems like a plain jane to me.

I suspect it's her princess status that makes her beautiful in some people's eyes.

Little_star said:
As for her looks I don't think Mary is beautiful (or particularly pretty) pre-Fred and even now I find the calls about her "beauty" very odd. She seems like a plain jane to me.

I suspect it's her princess status that makes her beautiful in some people's eyes.
Well if Mary is a plain Jane, then give me plain Jane any day!

I think she is beautiful, but not mind staggering beautiful (i dont think any of the crown princeses are), she is very pretty and elegant. Not too over done, not too under done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course its your right and by all means we are, each and everyone of us, welcome to share our differences of opinion. It's what makes for good discussion.

As for Joan Rivers, that truly is exaggerated to no end. Infact, what a dreadful comparison :wacko: Glade you yourself can see it!

Invasive surgery? There is no clear evidence (which I gather you also know to be the case) to suggest the Mary has undergone structural enhancements. None whatsoever.

Microdermabrasion or chemical peels, sure. I mean, that's so common place in society nowadays its not funny! Goodness, even I've had it done!

She has lost a considerbale amount of weight in recent years and when one looses weight their is always a notable change in the shape of their face. That's no ground breaking surprise and I would like to add the the Crown Princess has never been underweight.

I think you largely suspect wrong.

Because you don't find her pretty is not to mean that many who do, are largely taken by her marital status rather than by her natural physical makeup.

It just means that Mary does not fit your ieal of what a pretty woman looks like I guess. Its the way it goes and that's perfectly fine.

The bottom line as to whether Mary is beautiful can really only be summed up in three words: Beauty is subjective.

Furthermore, one cannot say that more people think she is pretty than not because the answer is essentially unanswerable. Unless one decides to take a poll of the whole world (all 6.5 billion souls on planet Earth), whereupon everyone is required to take it or else.

;)

Little_star said:
The Joan Rivers comparison was a poor one I admit. She was the first person that came to mind.

I personally think she's had alot more than simply microdermabrasion done. Yes, she's lost vast amounts of weight, but even that doesn't change the fact that very specific facial features look dramatically different. Before, anyone asks, no I don't have any proof, I'm not her doctor. It's my opinion based on photos I've seen of her over the years. I do think she's had the good sense to have things done gradually making it less obvious though.

I wouldn't call her beautiful but she is striking and unusual looking. I've said this before but I am a portrait artist and we notice facial proportions. Her facial proportions are quite striking and unusual. She has a longer mid-face than most women and this gives her an unusual look. In some ways, I find her more exotic looking than Alexandra.

From what I can tell of her facial features, she hasn't changed them. The top candidates for plastic surgery are the nose and chin and the proportions of her nose and chin have remained pretty much the same from the first photos from her obscurity to the present.

You can tell portrait artists are pretty weird, ;) we notice things like the length of the nose to the chin. :)

BeatrixFan said:
Speaking of Joans, Joan Crawford once said, "If you want to see the girl next door, go next door". Mary is a Crown Princess, she'll be a Queen one day. She needs to suit glitter, glamour and wealth - what she doesn't need to do is look like a tramp or even worse, a Hilton daughter. She is what she is, I don't think she is the girl next door, I'm glad she isn't the girl next door and I think those who want her to be should take Joan's advice and go next door. To say she's been cosmetically enhanced is a bit OTT IMO as there's no evidence whatsoever and she certainly isn't in the realm of Joan Rivers if she has. Joan crosses her legs and her jaw drops open.

Very very very wel said.

I don not think either that she is the "next door girl", because in this case Frederik had millions of "next door girls", in Denmark to fall in love, he did not need to find one, fron Dawn Under....
Their story was too complicated and difficult, just for a "next door girl"

I don't care for Mary, however that was not always the case, when I first came across her she seemed likeable enough, quite average but nice enough.

The more I've read about her and heard about her from people who have met her the more I've started to dislike her.

Madame Royale said:
Invasive surgery? There is no clear evidence (which I gather you also know to be the case) to suggest the Mary has undergone structural enhancements. None whatsoever.
That's your opinion, imo one only needs to look at her old photos to see the change.

However it's most likely to be a case of seeing what you want, from both viewpoints.

Madame Royale said:
She has lost a considerbale amount of weight in recent years and when one looses weight their is always a notable change in the shape of their face. That's no ground breaking surprise and I would like to add the the Crown Princess has never been underweight.
Weight loss can alter a person's appearance, however it doesn't change your basic structure. To use another example, when Princess Victoria was suffering from anorexia she lost a great deal of weight. However, she didn't look different, imo. She was unhealthily skinny but her face looked the same.

Madame Royale said:
Because you don't find her pretty is not to mean that many who do, are largely taken by her marital status rather than by her natural physical makeup.
Well somehow, I find it hard to beluieve that the chunky, overweight, badly-dressed woman pre-Fred would receive the same level of adoration for her beauty, grace, elegance etc.

Madame Royale said:
It just means that Mary does not fit your ieal of what a pretty woman looks like I guess. Its the way it goes and that's perfectly fine.
On that I'll agree with you.

ysbel said:
From what I can tell of her facial features, she hasn't changed them. The top candidates for plastic surgery are the nose and chin and the proportions of her nose and chin have remained pretty much the same from the first photos from her obscurity to the present.
That's where we differ, I think she has had her nose done, however it's a slight change. I've never noticed any change in her chin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom