St James's Palace

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
St James palace is so beautiful on the inside and love it and learned that it was built for/by king Henry VIII! And guess it's the only Tudor palace that the house of Windsor kept as a using palace, it's the place where place staff live as well as the residence of princess Beatrice of York?

When Prince Henry Frederick, the eldest son of King James I of England, was created Prince of Wales, St. James's Palace was set apart for his residence with a staff of 426 officials.:castle3:

Its good that the Crown Estates are taking a good look and see what needs to be done and actually do it.

Next up: Anne throws up her hands and says "naff off... I'm moving again?"

One largely forgotten royal guest at St James Palace was Marie de Medici,mother in law of King Charles I and mother of Louis XIII of France.The French queen mother lived at the Palace from 1638 until 1641 which must have caused quite a stir with such a prominent Roman Catholic living there.

One largely forgotten royal guest at St James Palace was Marie de Medici,mother in law of King Charles I and mother of Louis XIII of France.The French queen mother lived at the Palace from 1638 until 1641 which must have caused quite a stir with such a prominent Roman Catholic living there.

Well her presence was one more thing with which to condemn the king. One of the criticisms of Charles was that he was trying to make the Church of England more "popish" as the language of the time would have described it.

Various views of York House:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCIjE6P_J8OkCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCIjE6P_J8OkCFQAAAAAdAAA

The south front from Ambassador's Court:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url...ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCIjE6P_J8OkCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAU

This is view from the road outside the north front of the palace. York house would be the part with the tall first (2nd for Americans) floor windows:

https://www.buildington.co.uk/images/projects/5459fd5f1f9b8eb82a4d7388b77d1143.jpg

On this plan it's the bottom right part of the palace in light blue (Clarence House here marked in red):

https://i1.wp.com/londontraveller.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/stjamespalace-floor-plan.jpg

Last edited:
Well her presence was one more thing with which to condemn the king. One of the criticisms of Charles was that he was trying to make the Church of England more "popish" as the language of the time would have described it.

Marie would have to have had a chapel for Mass during her stay and no doubt had French priests as did her daughter,Queen Henrietta Maria.

Marie also stayed at Gidea Hall in London.

Why does Princess Beatrice live at St. James instead of the Kensington Palace?

St. James's Palace was designed by Inigo Jones.

Why does Princess Beatrice live at St. James instead of the Kensington Palace?

Whilst I am not sure she still does, there are various apartments at SJP that are used as offices or London pied-a-terre's for several members of the RF, including Princess Anne.

:previous: It was interesting to learn that the artist Canaletto's real surname is Canal.

How are celebrities able to live I'm occupied royal residences?

It isn't about them being celebrities, its about who is willing enough to pay the price to rent the apartments. The money goes back to maintaining the Royal Palaces so is a way to reduce the burden of doing so on the taxpayer. At least two apartments in St James have been made available for rent for a long time now. These articles are from 2015 and 2016 and mention that two flats are rented out commercially for around £250,000 a year.

In many ways celebrities - especially older ones like Catherine and Michael - would be great tenants as they will guard their privacy as much as the royals would.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...istory-250-000-annual-rent-payable-Queen.html

I hope Catherine posts some photos on her Instagram …

Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglas are being reported as having moved into St James Palace -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Michael-Douglas-living-St-Jamess-Palace.html

I strongly disapprove of this. If rich people can now rent apartments in royal palaces it is not only tacky but raises a lot of questions. These buildings will always be state maintained so who does the rent go to exactly? I expect the Beckhams will now be clamouring for one, perhaps the one at KP Harry didn't want, how they would love that! Other countries, in fact almost all European ones monarchies or not,have grand palaces but I've never heard of an arrangement like this before and it stinks IMO.

Last edited:
The money goes back to maintaining the Royal residences so it benefits the taxpayer in the long run. A number of KP apartments have been rented in a similar way for a long long time. Its not been a problem up to now with the many wealthy people who must have done the same. I don't see the problem personally. Its a no win situation - don't do it and the public pay more to upkeep the Palace with parts of it standing empty, rent it out to reduce the overall cost and some people aren't happy. As a UK taxpayer I'm personally happy for this arrangement, so long as we don't find out their rent pays for free access to the throne room or anything like that what the issue? Rooms that would be given over to staff or a junior member of the RF are being rented out for a six figure sum that goes towards keeping the Palace going.
Its also not true that other European monarchies don't do the same - the Belgian RF rent out some properties on the Laeken domain, the Swedish property section likewise. They may not be in the "Royal Palace" themselves but then St James' isn't lived in by the sovereign anyway and is really just a series of interconnected buildings.

Last edited:
It isn't about them being celebrities, its about who is willing enough to pay the price to rent the apartments. The money goes back to maintaining the Royal Palaces so is a way to reduce the burden of doing so on the taxpayer. At least two apartments in St James have been made available for rent for a long time now. These articles are from 2015 and 2016 and mention that two flats are rented out commercially for around £250,000 a year.

In many ways celebrities - especially older ones like Catherine and Michael - would be great tenants as they will guard their privacy as much as the royals would.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...istory-250-000-annual-rent-payable-Queen.html

I agree with you. The super-rich are the only ones who could afford to rent in St James Palace so I suppose it's inevitable that some of them would be famous. There will be covenants in place to protect the building from 'make-overs' and the income will help to secure the palace's preservation.

The money goes back to maintaining the Royal residences so it benefits the taxpayer in the long run. A number of KP apartments have been rented in a similar way for a long long time. Its not been a problem up to now with the many wealthy people who must have done the same. I don't see the problem personally. Its a no win situation - don't do it and the public pay more to upkeep the Palace with parts of it standing empty, rent it out to reduce the overall cost and some people aren't happy. As a UK taxpayer I'm personally happy for this arrangement, so long as we don't find out their rent pays for free access to the throne room or anything like that what the issue? Rooms that would be given over to staff or a junior member of the RF are being rented out for a six figure sum that goes towards keeping the Palace going.
Its also not true that other European monarchies don't do the same - the Belgian RF rent out some properties on the Laeken domain, the Swedish property section likewise. They may not be in the "Royal Palace" themselves but then St James' isn't lived in by the sovereign anyway and is really just a series of interconnected buildings.

Not the Belgian royal family but the owner, the Koninklijke Schenking / Donation Royale (which is onwed by the State) has a vast real estate portfolio and indeed rents some properties out to generate income.

Not the Belgian royal family but the owner, the Koninklijke Schenking / Donation Royale (which is onwed by the State) has a vast real estate portfolio and indeed rents some properties out to generate income.

British royal family is not the owner of Jame's Palace also. It is onwed by the Crown (State).

Back
Top Bottom