Trooping the Colour 2003-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree they can't be seen. I'd prefer the Kents & Gloucesters to be in the garden (or at the windows as you suggest) & their balcony positions taken by the Queen's children & grandchildren. I'd have the Queen in the middle flanked either side by Charles & William (& families) then the Yorks to the side of Charles & the Sussexes beside William. Flanking the Yorks & Sussexes, I'd have the Wessexes & Princess Anne (& family). They'd have a better view & we'd have a better view of them. If only they'd let me move them around! [emoji38]
Fortunately for the Kents and the Gloucesters I don't think the Queen would be ungracious enough to suggest such a thing.

The discussion surrounding the clothes worn by the Sussex and Cambridge children has been deleted. If you wish to continue having this discussing, please take it to the fashion threads.

Fortunately for the Kents and the Gloucesters I don't think the Queen would be ungracious enough to suggest such a thing.

I don't get what the issue is anyway. Apart from some people on this forum who in the world cares who is on the balcony? I havn't even seen anyone in the media make a big deal about it. The Queen is in her latter years and I think she actually enjoys watching the younger generations take in the marching bands and the flypast from the balcony, be they the kids of her own grandchildren or those of her cousins. Of course it won't always be like this but it's clearly HM's wish that it stays this way for the remainder of her reign and who would deny her that? I might also add that if some members of the immediate family were willing to spread out a bit more and not be so desperate to be as close to the Queen as possible the whole thing would be much more evenly balanced.

The Duke of York is really a selfish and proud Man.
Being next to the Quern he should have seen his 2 daughters were completely hidden.
On the Other hand a minor Royal prince Michael was happy that lady Windsor , the less Royal of the balcony was seen perfectly.

I don't think the queen is willing to cut it. That's up to Charles as king. I assume the queen's royal cousins will stay but their children and grandchildren will no longer be included.

I am not sure whether Margaret's children and grandchildren will stay or go.

Princess Margaret's children and respective families don't normally attend anyway, which is a shame really as they are the Prince of Wales' first cousins. I imagine they are invited, but I don't know why they don't show up.

Being next to the Quern he should have seen his 2 daughters were completely hidden.
On the Other hand a minor Royal prince Michael was happy that lady Windsor , the less Royal of the balcony was seen perfectly.

It makes sense that the Queen's children plus the Cambridges (as the direct line to the throne) should be upfront whereas the Queen's other grandchildren (including Prince Harry and his cousins) should be further to the back.

The Duke of York has received a lot of praise for his committment to the ceremonial role of colonel of the Grenadier Guards. He has shown an interest in the regiment that other royal colonels don't seem to have. I think it is right that he should be acknowledged for the good job he has been doing.

Last edited:
Trooping the Colour 2003-2019

I don't understand what that has to do with anything? Meghan was completely hidden as well but you don't see Charles going to fetch her to the forefront do you? :ermm:

On the topic of DoY, there was a beautiful interview with him after they returned to the castle on BBC1 and he spoke so eloquently about being Colonel of the Regiment, they then cut to an interview with a believe a former commander of the regiment who had nothing but praise for the way DoY has integrated himself in with the regiment and really spent time with them and their families.

Last edited:

Actually, the Duke of York's place close to the Queen on the balcony doesn't stem only from being her son but also because it was his regiment, The Grenadier Guards of whom he is the colonel that were featured in this year's Trooping the Color.

Last edited:
Then Edward could throw a fit because his daughter was hidden and Anne of course must then have her son in front and heck let’s have all the Royal parents up there try to get their kids front and center! “Oh, yeah where’d mum/ Granny AKA THE BIRTHDAY GIRL go? Oops must have got buried in the shuffle. Anyway, on with the show!”

Selfishness has nothing to do with it. This year it was 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards whose Colour was being trooped. HRH The Duke of York is Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, and as the Colonel of the Regiment, his prominent place on the balcony next to HM The Queen; The Colonel in Chief, was a given

On the topic of DoY, there was a beautiful interview with him after they returned to the castle on BBC1 and he spoke so eloquently about being Colonel-in-Chief, they then cut to an interview with a believe a former commander of the regiment who had nothing but praise for the way DoY has integrated himself in with the regiment and really spent time with them and their families.
Prince Andrew came across really well in the interview and seemed genuinely sincere when he spoke about how honoured he was and how he hoped he did a good job.

Actually, the Duke of York's place close to the Queen on the balcony doesn't stem only from being her son but also because it was his regiment, The Grenadier Guards of whom he is the colonel-in chief of that were featured this year Trooping the Color.
Now, now don't come here and spoil people's aggrievment with your facts [emoji13]

Actually, the Duke of York's place close to the Queen on the balcony doesn't stem only from being her son but also because it was his regiment, The Grenadier Guards of whom he is the colonel-in chief of that were featured this year Trooping the Color.

I don't understand what that has to do with anything? Meghan was completely hidden as well but you don't see Charles going to fetch her to the forefront do you? :ermm:

On the topic of DoY, there was a beautiful interview with him after they returned to the castle on BBC1 and he spoke so eloquently about being Colonel-in-Chief, they then cut to an interview with a believe a former commander of the regiment who had nothing but praise for the way DoY has integrated himself in with the regiment and really spent time with them and their families.

The Duke of York is not Colonel in Chief, he is Colonel of the Regiment, The Colonel in Chief is The Queen

The Duke of York was front & centre next to The Queen last year too - not complaining, just saying...

I have to say, both Harry and Meghan looked a bit dazed-sleep deprivation at its finest! I remember those days well. :sleep::sleep:

The Duke of York is not Colonel in Chief, he is Colonel of the Regiment, The Colonel in Chief is The Queen

Whooops! You're right. Thanks for the correction. Will amend my post. ?

The Duke of York was front & centre next to The Queen last year too - not complaining, just saying...

Last year was probably due to the fact that it was his first Trooping of The Colour, as the Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, having succeeded The Duke of Edinburgh at this position

There is a difference between Colonel of a Regiment and Colonel in Chief who is HM the Queen. Thanks for correcting the British mistake .

I was chatting to my Mother [born in 1930] about how packed the balcony seemed today and she said "No, no.. it used to be even busier when the 'oldies' were still around".

There seems no way to verify this, as wide-shot photo's of that era don't seem to be online but she was adamant !

The Phillip's weren't even there today...not sure how many more they can get up there!

LaRae

I was chatting to my Mother [born in 1930] about how packed the balcony seemed today and she said "No, no.. it used to be even busier when the 'oldies' were still around".

There seems no way to verify this, as wide-shot photo's of that era don't seem to be online but she was adamant !

The current Queen's longevity means that there are more living grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the monarch than there probably were in previous reigns. Many princesses in the past also married into foreign royal families and effectively moved out of the country (at the Victorian and Edwardian ages for example). I don't know, but I am sceptical (or skeptical in US spelling) of your mother's claim.

Last edited:

Maybe they were all on holidays in 1969,it looks a lot less crowded in this footage,nice to see Mags,the Queen Mother and Princess Alice.

Bit more crowded in 1984

Last edited:
:previous:

The crowd was much bigger back then (in 1969, I mean) and, I must say, the guards were far more precise in their formation.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad..I meant the Tindalls...I saw the Phillips's

LaRae

I asked the same about Zara, not realizing she hasn't been on the balcony since 2016. And Mike has only been on it once (Mia never). Zara was competing in an equestrian event today to qualify for Tokyo.

The Wessexes and the Yorks are a lot more closely related to the Queen than the Gloucesters and Kents, so if anyone gets the heave-ho from the balcony, it won't be them, at this point, anyway.

I think the Queen would also be minded to the fact that the Kents and Gloucesters have done more official duties for the Monarchy than the Yorks & Wessexes have between them and its nice the Kents and Gloucesters get to bring their families along to "meet the boss" as it were.
I do understand about it being crowded but the Queen clearly likes to invite everyone and an 93 we can sadly assume there won't be all that many more of Trooping the Colours for her so lets enjoy them like this for now. Of course in time in a new reign things will probably change a little.

We still get, as this year proves, fab pics of the Queen and the senior royals and new additions so its all good IMO.

Who is the gentleman standing behind Prince Charles beside Princess Beatrice, he is not listed, the number 15 is over his face?

Who is the gentleman standing behind Prince Charles beside Princess Beatrice, he is not listed, the number 15 is over his face?

It could be Tim Lawrence, Princess Anne's husband. He wouldn't be in uniform because this is an Army thing and he is a Vice-Admiral in the Navy. Also if you look at the close-up picture that includes the Duke of Gloucester, it looks like just behind his head is the top of the Duke of Kent's head.

Edit to add: I think maybe the man behind the Duchess of Gloucester is Tim Taylor. Looks like his hair color and you can just see an ear-piece from his glasses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom