The Monarchy after Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How often is it necessary to repeat..? The BRF [nor any Monarchy] is NOT an elective one, nor a popularity contest. The Press can Poll 'till it's blue in the face' but the reality is the Succession is set down in LAW, and [if Charles outlives his Mother] he WILL be our next King.

That's correct, but no monarch, especially a new one, can afford to ignore public opinion in these times either. Charles's popularity may have climbed out of the doldrums of the 1990s, but his poll figures over the last decade lag persistently behind his mother and his sons, and are nothing to what they should be considering his hard work and accomplishments.

The lead in the saddlebags re the unravelling of his first marriage and the views of some that he is an eccentric meddler, are extremely heavy. I believe that neither Clarence House officials or Prince Charles would be exactly happy with his popularity with his future subjects.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4226442/prince-william-charles-next-king-camilla-parker-bowles/

Last edited:
The So-called experts/commentators are out on twitter - here are some of them:

Charlie Proctor‏ @MonarchyUK
It isn't a 'shock poll' - what it is though is August
Picture of the Sun's front page:

Charlie Proctor‏ @MonarchyUK
I personally would prefer Dame Edna to become King (or Queen) over Prince William at this moment in time.

Victoria Arbiter‏ @victoriaarbiter
Feeling pretty sorry for Prince Charles. Exceptional as she was & much as I miss her Diana was not without her own faults.

Victoria Arbiter‏ @victoriaarbiter
Charles is the longest serving heir apparent in British history. He's been preparing for the top job his whole life & may just surprise you.

Dickie Arbiter‏ @RoyalDickie
51% in @TheSun poll of 2000 - UK population 64.4m - say #PrinceWilliam should succeed The Queen. It's #PrinceCharles then William, end of.

Dickie Arbiter‏ @RoyalDickie
Only 2000 polled out of a UK population of 64.4m & comes in the wake of all the Diana documentaries. A true representation? I think not.

Elliot W Phillips‏ @Royal_Reviewer
The order is set, no amount of public whinging will change the outcome. Also Camilla will be Queen - the law hadn't been changed.

phil dampier‏ @phildampier
Interesting poll in The Sun. I don't think it will change anything but interesting Let's hope The Queen lives to 100!

paul connew‏ @paulconnew1
Hereditary Monarchy NOT popularity contest or reality TV public vote. Lukewarm monarchist(me)prefers that to superannuated politico president.

Edit: As you can see in the second tweet, Charlie Proctor‏ just couldn't hide his anti William feelings.

Last edited:
but his poll figures over the last decade lag persistently behind his mother and his sons, and are nothing to what they should be considering his hard work and accomplishments.
No they are not Curryong and he cannot seem to improve with these polls no matter what he does. Considering recent TV and news articles about his late wife, I'm surprised they are not a bit lower.

That being said I do realize that the succession is no a popularity contest but this cannot make anyone at BP/CH or KP happy as I do believe that QEII and William do not want Charles to be skipped over.

The Prince of Wales coming at Thyne Cote Cimetary was a great Event and impressed a lot of people and myself.
He is the best Crown Prince among the european Royals.

Hopefully, once the pseudo-news stories for the anniversary of Diana's death have waned, things will return to normal and Charles's "popularity" will rise some. I do think he doesn't get credit for his hard work, because that is not "entertaining."

I'd love to see the poll results if they included more members of the RF - let's put Anne out there as well and see what results she gets? Or maybe Zara or Mia? Why not, if we can pick and choose the next sovereign? Major eyeroll

Hopefully, once the pseudo-news stories for the anniversary of Diana's death have waned, things will return to normal and Charles's "popularity" will rise some. I do think he doesn't get credit for his hard work, because that is not "entertaining."

1. He gets credit from the media all the time, his approval ratings are at around 70% and 60% thinks he's going to be a good king? Not bad for a man who has received so much criticism.

2. Is he going to be popular/beloved and admirred like his mother? No way, but I think/hope that he vill be respected.

3. Will he ever be the prefered choose to succeed the Queen? No, he wont. Why? Because people who don't follow Charles see him as a boring, distant and cold man who was mean to Diana. And they would rather have the younger William.

4. Is he all those things above? Of course not, but most people don't know about his good works or sees him on his walkabouts around the UK.

5. Did most people see him on his visit (with Camilla) to Sydney in 2015, where they drev bigger crowds than William/Kate and Harry? No, they didn't.

6. Did most people see him on his visits (with Camilla) to Romania, Italy and Austria this year, where they were mobbed by people? No, they didn't.

7. Do most people know that he is actually very good at connecting with people? No, they don't.

8. But the problem now is the 20th Anniversary of Diana's death: It has (as I thought it would) damaged the monarchy, Charles/Camilla and even our 91-year-old Queen.

Last edited:
1. He gets credit from the media all the time, his approval ratings are at around 70% and 60% thinks he's going to be a good king? Not bad for a man who has received so much criticism.

2. Is he going to be popular/beloved and admirred like his mother? No way, but I think/hope that he vill be respected.

3. Will he ever be the prefered choose to succeed the Queen? No, he wont. Why? Because people who don't follow Charles see him as a boring, distant and cold man who was mean to Diana. And they would rather have the younger William.

4. Is he all those things above? Of course not, but most people don't know about his good works or sees him on his walkabouts around the UK.

5. Did most people see him on his visit (with Camilla) to Sydney in 2015, where they drev bigger crowds that William/Kate and Harry? No, they didn't.

6. Did most people see him on his visits (with Camilla) to Romania, Italy and Austria this year, where they were mobbed by people? No, they didn't.

7. Do most people know that he is actually very good at connecting with people? No, they don't.

8. But the problem now is the 20th Anniversary of Diana's death: It has (as I thought it would) damaged the monarchy, Charles/Camilla and even our 91-year-old Queen.

I agree with everything you have written, but the general public (that doesn't follow royalty) get their news form the headlines of breathless scandal sheets re: your point #3. My own mother is one of them.

Last edited:
I think in spite of the "Diana factor" and the fact that he's not young or glamourous, and is seen as a bit of an old fogy, he is still the preferred heir. People don't care that much.. its only the committed who go on forums or vote in polls. and mostly people accept the RF and the succession.. and aren't in any big hurry for Will and Kate.

I think in spite of the "Diana factor" and the fact that he's not young or glamourous, and is seen as a bit of an old fogy, he is still the preferred heir. People don't care that much.. its only the committed who go on forums or vote in polls. and mostly people accept the RF and the succession.. and aren't in any big hurry for Will and Kate.

The polls, which are far more accurate than anecdotal observations, say that he is not the preferred heir and I have no reason to doubt them. Charles and even more so Camilla are not popular and they never will be; they are tolerated more so than appreciated.

Before anyone jumps in, I believe most people who post to TRF are fully aware that, by law, Charles will be king if he doesn't predecease his mother, regardless of his popularity or lack thereof. However, popular support is not an irrelevant detail. Ascending the throne at an age other monarchs in Europe were when they abdicated is already tough in itself; doing so without the backing of the populace only makes things worse and may put pressure on Charles to step down.

Of course, I am also aware that abdication is a complex matter in the UK and would require special legislation not only in the UK itself, but also in the Commonwealth realms. It is not impossible though, especially if Charles himself expresses a personal wish to surrender the Crown to William. Until recently, William was still seen as too young and inexperienced, but, as he also grows older and takes over more royal duties, including his recent high profile overseas visits, people will increasingly get more comfortable with the idea of having him as sovereign.

Last edited:
Whenever it happens one thing seems certain- his reign probably will not be a long one. He is nearly 70 now and the Queen is in amazingly good health for 91. She could easily live another 10 years which would put him near 80 at the time of his coronation. :eek:

Question- who was the eldest monarch at the time they succeeded to the throne? Edward VII?

No, i think William IV was a few years older, he was mentioned in articles about Charles becoming the oldest heir (to actually become monarch)

Prince Charles becomes the oldest heir to throne in history | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

William IV was about two months away from turning 65 when he became king, but we have to see things in perspective: 65 was generally perceived as much "older age" (subjectively, I mean) in 1830, when average life expectancy was considerably lower than it is today.

5. Did most people see him on his visit (with Camilla) to Sydney in 2015, where they drev bigger crowds than William/Kate and Harry? No, they didn't.

Number 5 i think it was lunch time in the business area they were all out getting lunch

I don't see the 20th anniversary things as damaging to the monarchy but I will have to admit its been really "in your face" this year as far as coverage.

I think, honestly, that people just see Charles (and Camilla) going about doing what they always do and the transitions that are slowly passing from monarch to monarch have been so subtle that they don't stand out much and not much notice is taken. When the time does come and Charles does step into his role as the monarch, people will scratch their heads and realize he's been doing what a monarch is supposed to do all along other than those responsibilities that are solely the monarch's.

This tells me that when the time does come, the continuity of the monarchy will be seamless. To me, this is far more important than the "popularity" and media coverage of the up and coming new reign. No one is more prepared to step into king robe and crowns than Charles. Its just happening gradually. :D

Number 5 i think it was lunch time in the business area they were all out getting lunch

:lol::lol::lol: and they were all paid by Clarence House.
C'mon ...

Last edited:
Lots of discussion about Charles not becoming the next king - through choice or via abdication or whatever, but what would happen to him?

What about his place in the family?
Would he have to go into exile, like D of Windsor?
Could he continue his charitable work?
What about the risk of "2 courts" if he stayed?
What about his income?
Where would he live?
What is his status and title?
And what about the inevitable comparisons of his achievements and Williams?
Will the monarchy become a popularity contest?

Easy to say "he should step aside" - but the consequences would be enormous, not just for him but for William and, more importantly, the Monarchy.

Lots of discussion about Charles not becoming the next king - through choice or via abdication or whatever, but what would happen to him?

1 - What about his place in the family?
2 - Would he have to go into exile, like D of Windsor?
3 - Could he continue his charitable work?
4 - What about the risk of "2 courts" if he stayed?
5- What about his income?
6 - Where would he live?
7 - What is his status and title?
8 - And what about the inevitable comparisons of his achievements and Williams?
9 - Will the monarchy become a popularity contest?

Easy to say "he should step aside" - but the consequences would be enormous, not just for him but for William and, more importantly, the Monarchy.

I've allowed myself to number your questions.

1 - He would be behind William and Harry.
2 - No need to. He's done nothing wrong. On the contrary he may be praised for being unselfish.
3 - Absolutely.
4 - He would retain a court, but much smaller and ever decreasing as he gets older and less able to work.
5 - Would be less.
6 - I think the BRF can find a spare palace somewhere.
7 - Prince Charles, Duke of something.
8 - Are they that significant anyway?
9 - To an extent it already is. A monarchy that is not relevant to the people loose "likes" so to speak. That goes for the individual members as well.

Please note that several posts discussing future anniversaries of the death of Diana have been removed as they do not relate to the topic of this thread.

The Monarchy will be in extremely good hands,no doubt,after auntie Lizzie's demise...Charles is the best prepared Heir ever.He and Queen Camilla will be doing great,no doubt in my mind!:flowers:

Don't think stepping aside will ever happen. He hasn't been in queue all this time to now decide he doesn't want to get on the ride. Aside from his dalliances, Edward VII was a good king, though only for a short time. Sometimes the greatest changes come from the shortest reigns

I've allowed myself to number your questions.

1 - He would be behind William and Harry.
2 - No need to. He's done nothing wrong. On the contrary he may be praised for being unselfish.
3 - Absolutely.
4 - He would retain a court, but much smaller and ever decreasing as he gets older and less able to work.
5 - Would be less.
6 - I think the BRF can find a spare palace somewhere.
7 - Prince Charles, Duke of something.
8 - Are they that significant anyway?
9 - To an extent it already is. A monarchy that is not relevant to the people loose "likes" so to speak. That goes for the individual members as well.

Really?

I don't think you could find another royal in history who has had so much direct, positive impact on so many of their people's lives. I mean, there are close to a million people whose lives have been directly impacted and improved by The Prince's Trust.

Don't think stepping aside will ever happen. He hasn't been in queue all this time to now decide he doesn't want to get on the ride. Aside from his dalliances, Edward VII was a good king, though only for a short time. Sometimes the greatest changes come from the shortest reigns

He,Charles,can not decide that,Parliament does!!

Is there even a mechanism for someone in the line of succession to remove themselves other than becoming a felony? Doesn't it all have to be done once Charles becomes King if he wanted to abdicate?

That would take an act of legislation passing in multiple countries. It isn't going to be instantaneous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom