The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2021, 04:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
It depends how it goes. Charles, Camilla and Anne are all in their 70s. Hopefully they'll be in good health for many years to come, but they'll be well into their 80s before any of William's children are ready to take on royal duties.
I would say into their 90s. George is only 7 now and he won't be ready for another 20 years.

Old 04-10-2021, 06:37 AM
Royal Highness

Completely agree however although there is a current line up of the 7. I do feel that they would need space in case something happens. But yes - European Royals have managed with less. They do have a problem in generations as essential by the time George is old enough they might have a number of very senior royals. Illness aside - there is no guarantee that Charlotte and Louis might want to take on a life of service in the royal family. The option of leaving now is very much open to them.

That all been said I also not 100% sold on Andrew not coming back into the fold or Harry/Meghan not coming back when Charles is King. And I have very good reasons for this.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

In not much over a year's time they will have no working royals under 40 and that means no one for the younger generation. In another 10 years none under 50 and by the time George is ready they won't have any under 60. That is the issue.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:46 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
In not much over a year's time they will have no working royals under 40 and that means no one for the younger generation. In another 10 years none under 50 and by the time George is ready they won't have any under 60. That is the issue.
But this would have been true (or very nearly so) had Harry & Meghan remained in the fold. Meghan is the same age as William & Kate and Harry's not that much younger. If they want to go significantly younger then the only members of the BRF that fit that bill are Louise & James.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

True. There is nothing they can do about it but it is still an issue ... as they simply are missing a generation of royals. The missing generation is also the one that is increasingly calling for an end to the monarchy.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
But this would have been true (or very nearly so) had Harry & Meghan remained in the fold. Meghan is the same age as William & Kate and Harry's not that much younger. If they want to go significantly younger then the only members of the BRF that fit that bill are Louise & James.

The Countess of Wessex has said James and Louise might still choose to take up the HRH style when they are of age. I believe that will happen when Prince Edward becomes Duke of Edinburgh. At that point, James and Louise could also become working royals, and since there are only 13 and 17 now, they look like the best bet to fill in the youth gap.

Probably it won't happen because of the frenzy about "slimming down" the monarchy under Charles and William, but it would make sense to involve the Wessex children and the York girls too in the middle-age bracket.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
True. There is nothing they can do about it but it is still an issue ... as they simply are missing a generation of royals. The missing generation is also the one that is increasingly calling for an end to the monarchy.
It is not a missing generation but the expected and normal gap between generations in a system where members of the family do not marry and have children until their mid-30s.

The same gap will be expected to occur in every single generation unless family members begin having children at a much younger age. When a 35-year gap between parent and child exists, there will always be individuals who are 15-20 years older than the child and 15-20 years younger than the parent.

The narrower gap between the Wessex children and the children of their cousins exists only because Queen Elizabeth II began having children in her early 20s and continued to have children until her late 30s, leading to a large age gap between her oldest and youngest children.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:47 PM
Commoner

Do we think that Camilla and Kate would get the same sort of coverage like Philip has had when they both sadly pass? I was wondering as well if they would have been planning Camilla, Charles, Kate and William's funeral already?
Old 04-11-2021, 06:50 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
Do we think that Camilla and Kate would get the same sort of coverage like Philip has had when they both sadly pass? I was wondering as well if they would have been planning Camilla, Charles, Kate and William's funeral already?
They surely have plans in place for Charles and Camilla and probably less elaborate plans for William and Catherine.
Old 04-11-2021, 06:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
It is not a missing generation but the expected and normal gap between generations in a system where members of the family do not marry and have children until their mid-30s.

The same gap will be expected to occur in every single generation unless family members begin having children at a much younger age. When a 35-year gap between parent and child exists, there will always be individuals who are 15-20 years older than the child and 15-20 years younger than the parent.

The narrower gap between the Wessex children and the children of their cousins exists only because Queen Elizabeth II began having children in her early 20s and continued to have children until her late 30s, leading to a large age gap between her oldest and youngest children.
Exactly, and the advantage of an at least 30-year age gap is that the heir might be expect to not be of retirement age when ascending the throne and have a reasonable length of reign.

And as you point out, there is currently a younger generation: Louise and James - but that doesn't seem to make a difference; just like Edward and Sophie for a long time were the youngest senior working royals but didn't get a large following because of it.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think the State funerals are only for Sovereigns - televised
Consorts to the Sovereigns get Ceremonial like the one the Queen Mother got - televised. This is what Prince Philip would've had if there was no COVID. And although Diana was not a consort to the Sovereign, I believe for her they copied the Queen Mother's plan since her death was so sudden and had not been planned.
Other members of the family get private - not televised.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Honestly, if Kate lives another 60 years, which will mean she would have been a member of the BRF for 70 years, then, yes, I think she'll get the same sort of coverage that Philip is getting today.

And Charles would absolutely get the same sort of coverage, perhaps greater, since he has been the heir apparent for nearly 70 years; though if he succeeds to the throne before he dies, his coverage will be greater than Philip's. Similar scenario with William.

I'm not sure I can see Camilla getting the same level of coverage, even if she dies after Charles ascends to the throne, simply because she'll not have been a part of the BRF for most people's lives the way that Philip, Elizabeth, and likely Charles will have been (and Kate and William if they live into their 90s).
Old 04-12-2021, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
I think the State funerals are only for Sovereigns - televised
Consorts to the Sovereigns get Ceremonial like the one the Queen Mother got - televised.

But wasn't the funeral of the Queen Mother almost a State Funeral only not in Name. And i think they only difference is that the coffin is drawn by members of the Royal Navy. .

Old 04-12-2021, 01:47 AM
Majesty

Would it be incorrect if Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugenie spoke up and inquired to become part time working royals? Could a position be found for them?
Old 04-12-2021, 03:38 AM
Courtier

I don't see why George can't do the occasional engagement or take on a couple of patronages when he is 18/20/21? Surely Harry and William didn't wait until they were over 30 before doing even the smallest amount of royal activities?
Old 04-12-2021, 03:42 AM
Courtier

I don't see why George can't do the occasional engagement or take on a couple of patronages when he is 18/20/21? Surely Harry and William didn't wait until they were over 30 before doing even the smallest amount of royal activities?

Edit: just had a look at Wikipedia and William started the occasional royal duty when he was 21:

"At the age of 21, Prince William was appointed as a Counsellor of State; he first served in that capacity when the Queen was in Nigeria attending the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in 2003. On his 21st birthday, William accompanied his father on a tour of Wales, visiting the Anglesey Food Fair and opening a centre for the homeless in Newport. In July 2005, he embarked on his first solo overseas tour, travelling to New Zealand, to participate in World War II commemorations on behalf of the Queen."
Old 04-13-2021, 06:28 AM
Royal Highness

The problem isn't that George during a few engagements at a young age - but he isn't likely to join the the full ranks of the firm at a young age. Essentially he might be at uni, military training, military career or want some time with a young family. The same things William were given which is why William essentially started in the firm relatively late - he was given that privileges'.

I think Anne joined the firm proper at 19 which will be considered way too early now. Edward was half half from 18 till full on at 36. And Andrew was only only full on when we left the Navy.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Would it be incorrect if Princess Beatrice or Princess Eugenie spoke up and inquired to become part time working royals? Could a position be found for them?
I think there has been a bit of talk about it within the palace and we might see something in the new year. But it must be remembered that it will be a step down for Charles and his desire for a smaller monarchy. And after years of telling Andrew that there was no need for the York Princesses it is a bit of a problem when there is suddenly - if only to Charles's ego.

That been said it is the same problem he will have with Edward and Sophie who were told that they will be moved to a Duke of Gloucester role and the Kent, Gloucester's who were told they will have a lesser role. Everyone has been scuffled about and future plans have changed. But that happens in the best of time. But it will require some humble pie on Charles part or he will have a very tiny royal family.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:19 AM
Majesty

I dont tnink so. Better a smaller royal family that one can count on that one you cna't count on.. and IMO Bea and Eugenie certianly dont want royal duties at this stage of their lives. Had it happened when they were 21 or so, I think they would have been OK wiht it, but the time's passed and now they are both married and likley to be preoccupied iwht their own lives.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And as you point out, there is currently a younger generation: Louise and James - but that doesn't seem to make a difference; just like Edward and Sophie for a long time were the youngest senior working royals but didn't get a large following because of it.
Good point. I doubt Louise and James would receive much public attention in the event that they became working royals, regardless of their youth.

Tags
camilla parker bowles, camilla parker-bowles, camilla's family