The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-16-2020, 02:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The delay is ordinarily one year ( and 30 days only in the case of money bills). Furthermore, the House of Lords rarely uses its veto power and, when it does nowadays, it is generally justified.
How do you define justified, though? If it was passed by the elected House of Commons, how can an unelected body delaying it be justified? And one person's definition of "justified" is always going to be different from another's.

I wish they'd just abolished it in 1911, but that would have caused an uproar!

Old 10-16-2020, 03:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
How do you define justified, though? If it was passed by the elected House of Commons, how can an unelected body delaying it be justified? And one person's definition of "justified" is always going to be different from another's.

Speaking of abolishing the upper house/chamber, New Zealand abolished Legislative Council (upper house) in 1951. The Legislative Council Abolition Bill became an Act on 1950 and came in effect on 1st January 1951. The National Party leader, Sidney Holland introduced the Bill on August 1947 in order to abolish the Legislative Council. I don't think there is a referendum for it.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/legislative-council-abolished
Legislative Council Abolition Act 1950 No 3 (as at 19 August 1950), Public Act – New Zealand Legislation

Today New Zealand only has House of Representative, in other words unicameralism (The practice of single legislative or parliamentary chamber in government)

P.s. I did not know about the abolishment of Legislative Council until recently.

We could probably discuss about the House of Lords in the British Nobility thread

Old 10-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
So, you mean, a born English Prince/ss should have less titles, than the youngest of many children of the German Baron of Backwater-Town, which is a Baron/ess too?

Why? They are spare-Monarchs, they must have at least something from their birth - since they are not allowed to have any real career! I mean, look at all the fuss about Citizen just Harry...
From the Encyclopeadia Britannica:

"Not until the accession of the German George I (1714), however, did it become settled practice for all the sovereign’s descendants in the male line (that is, his children and the children of his sons) to be styled prince or princess and royal highness; great-grandchildren in the male line were prince or princess and highness. Before that, in both England and Scotland, the children of the monarchs were styled as Lord Forename or Lady Forename."

Why not return to this earlier, more British practise?
Old 10-16-2020, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

"Not until the accession of the German George I (1714), however, did it become settled practice for all the sovereign’s descendants in the male line (that is, his children and the children of his sons) to be styled prince or princess and royal highness; great-grandchildren in the male line were prince or princess and highness. Before that, in both England and Scotland, the children of the monarchs were styled as Lord Forename or Lady Forename."

I think that would be a setback. The monarch's sons must continue to have the title of Prince and Princess.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:08 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder how younger children would have continued to be addressed if the line of Queen Anne had continued.

Convention only changed because of the Hanoverian succession. The traditional native custom may well have survived to the present.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:

It was not an exclusively British practice. Sons of the French King (Fils de France) did not routinely use the title of Prince prefixed to their names either. They were referred instead by their peerages.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:24 PM
Serene Highness

If Britannica is correct it says that there was the use of lord/lady forename.

Was this also the practise in France?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
If Britannica is correct it says that there was the use of lord/lady forename.

Was this also the practise in France?
I think that the titles Monsieur or Madame were used, but alos the peerages held by sons of the King.. Anyway, what does it matter waht they did in France?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think that the titles Monsieur or Madame were used, but alos the peerages held by sons of the King.. Anyway, what does it matter waht they did in France?

In the spirit of Anglo-French friendly rivalry:

What does anything they do in France matter?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think that would be a setback. The monarch's sons must continue to have the title of Prince and Princess.
i take it you mean the monarch's children.. but I don't quite see why. Its a convention but it doesn't have to go on if the British public or RF dont want to keep it going
Old 10-16-2020, 08:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

By "justified" I meant that the House of Lords nowadays normally uses its veto power only to block legislation that is unconstitutional or violates fundamental civil rights. For example, the House of Lords , if I recall it correctly, recently held up legislation that restricted trial by jury or extended the amount of time a person can be detained without being formally charged with a criminal offence.

Keep in the mind that the UK, unlike for example the US and Canada, does not have a written constitution or a Supreme Court that is capable of striking down unconstitutional legislation. The suspensive veto power of House of Lords therefore fulfills in part the role which the (equally unelected) courts play in other countries.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I wonder how younger children would have continued to be addressed if the line of Queen Anne had continued.

Convention only changed because of the Hanoverian succession. The traditional native custom may well have survived to the present.
I'm not sure it can be faulted on the succession of foreigners to the throne. No other European monarchy surviving into this era held out against the inflation of princely titles, no matter the family origins of their monarchs. And the Hanoverian-born British monarchs conformed to native practices such as the bestowal of dukedoms on royal princes or the use of Princess Royal for the oldest daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It was not an exclusively British practice. Sons of the French King (Fils de France) did not routinely use the title of Prince prefixed to their names either. They were referred instead by their peerages.
"Prince" was at the outset a European title for monarchs, so the routine use of it for children of European monarchs was comparatively recent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Legally, at the time, Diana and Hewitt's love affair was a dire crime in the UK. It very well possibly could have been if the law was enforced, that Hewitt could have been arrested, tried and convicted of high treason. The law states:

"Offences constituting high treason include plotting the murder of the sovereign; committing adultery with the sovereign's consort, with the sovereign's eldest unmarried daughter, or with the wife of the heir to the throne; levying war against the sovereign and adhering to the sovereign's enemies, giving them aid or comfort; and attempting to undermine the lawfully established line of succession. Several other crimes have historically been categorised as high treason, including counterfeiting money and being a Catholic priest."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_t...United_Kingdom

Needless to say, this was not enforced and Hewitt lived without being hung, drawn and quartered. The Crime and Disorder Act was amended in 1998, a year after Diana's death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
absurd to think that Hewitt was going to be convicted of high treason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
In this day and age, nobody would be convicted of high treason for that.
When the British Parliament amended the Treason Act in conjunction with the Succession to the Crown Act in 2013, it made the conscious choice not to eliminate the charge of high treason for "if a Man do violate the King’s [X3Companion,] or the King’s eldest Daughter unmarried, or the Wife (X4) the King’s eldest Son and Heir". Indeed, it was their choice not to so much as amend the Treason Act to be gender-neutral. It will remain high treason for a man to violate Prince George's future wife, but not for a woman to do the same, and if George's heir is a daughter, it will not be high treason for any person to violate her spouse, as it would have been if she had been a man married to a woman.

It was mentioned upthread that some British royal experts argue that this lack of modernization makes the British monarchy "unique", but I wonder if an individual charged with high treason pursuant to these regulations post-2013 would view it in the same way.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I'm not sure it can be faulted on the succession of foreigners to the throne. No other European monarchy surviving into this era held out against the inflation of princely titles, no matter the family origins of their monarchs.
You're probably right although it wouldn't have been surprising if a continuing Stuart dynasty (via Anne) had resisted such inflation under parliamentary (especially Whig) pressure. I think in the context of C18th Britain it would have made sense to avoid royal title inflation.

I think it makes even more sense now.