State Visit from the President of France: March 26-27, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it isn't. We don't have that friendly a relationship with France, especially at the level of the man in the street, and the deliberate snubbing of our head of state by theirs isn't going to help matters.

But fortunately people are not as undiplomatic as Mr. President can be. I love the English and most of the time they like us too :D. It's not Sarkozy who will take this away from the people although I'm still anticipating this meeting :rolleyes:.

I love the English and most of the time they like us too

Can't agree more...:flowers:
I'm looking forward for my annual English break this summer :wub:

Well, let's not get into politics here, because Mr Sarkozy's domestic policies don't have anything to do with the state visit, so they're off topic here.

However unpopular he might be at home nowadays, he's still the democratically elected French head of state.

I just hope he isn't pulling this stunt in the hopes of getting Brownie points at home by thumbing his nose at the Queen.

Is this curtailment of his visit getting any publicity in France? Just wondering how people are reacting.

Last edited:
It´s her first State visit for Carla Bruni.

Is this curtailment of his visit getting any publicity in France? Just wondering how people are reacting

Not a word in the "serious" press like "Le Monde" or "Le Figaro", some very small lines on the net though.
The visit is sometimes commented by some TV news but always in the "Carla debuts" point of view.

Ooooh yes and guess what? He brought with him, to the Vatican, Jean Marie Bigard. Who is Jean Marie Bigard: well he is a french "comic" who loves doing **** ,sex and sometimes anti-clerical jokes. Why he was there? Because he is a friend of the boss and he wanted to see the pope "for the fun".
Can you imagine that?

My God...if I wasn't more familiar with your posts and with how intelligent you are I would think you were making this up....seriously...how embarrassing. I am sure His Holiness was..."sous le charme?" is that how they say it??

Just embarrassing.

I'm sorry, I disagree. When the Queen next goes to France, that's an opportunity to repay the favour. I think the objection to his visit is nothing to do with Mr Sarzoky, it's because he's married a model and that's too ridiculous for words. Look at the negative statements that are already surfacing about Madame Sarzoky as if she should sit in a dark room in a burkah and never be seen. He's been invited to visit Britain, he is visiting Britain. He is bringing his wife. He isn't spending a week, he's spending a couple of days. Where's the problem in that? I think all this "discourteous" stuff is just an excuse, the real reason people seem to be against the man is that he's married a pretty young wife.

Oh my God...are you serious?? Jealous of his "pretty young wife?!" First of all Ms Bruni is not so young. But I digress. I have no problem with her status as a model. It's her rancid and sordid past that gives pause-at least for me-and the fact that she doesn't seem to have a clue at how ridiculous she makes the President look. If Sarkozy had married Petra Nemcova I'd be the first here to gush and congratulate him. She is a gorgeous and truly young woman. But the President of the glorious French Republic has chosen for his first lady an unapologetic and fickle adulteress, and he has apparently chosen her on the rebound. She doesn't help his image at all and she doesn't represent France well at all.

I would have more respect for a meter maid who knew how to carry herself and be an asset to her country.

Is being a "fickle adultress" the crime, just an adultress would be all right? How is it that some adultery is okay, if you apologize? Long standing adultery is okay, but on the rebound is out? Just trying to understand.

Madame Sarkozy's characteristics aren't relevant to this thread; please let's not get off topic into an insult-fest against her.

It is like watching an episode of Dynasty or something with these two. They are making for great entertainment. :)

I, for one, cannot wait for this visit!!!! I am serious about that. I am sure she will behave like a lady and her use of royal etiquette will be nothing short of exact and precise. I do think President Sarzoky will allow any incidents to occur.

I will wait and see how she behaves here on the visit, rather than pull her apart without good reason.

With regard to the shortening of the visit, I have not heard any reports of HM having hysterics over it, so whatever reason they gave appears to have been perfectly reasonable to their hostess!

It's doubtful in the extreme that we would ever hear of HM disappoving of another head of state. The closest she's ever come to my knowledge was that hysterically funny disapproving look she gave Bush on her visit here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having read some of the negative comments on here, I feel really sorry for her. I am sure she will behave with impeccably good manners and be an absolute credit to her country.:curtsey:

Hear hear Skydragon. I rather like Madame Sarkozy and hope she silences her critics with grace and elegance which I'm sure she's capable of. I think some people need to follow the excellent example Her Majesty will no doubt set in welcoming a Head of State and his wife.

I just hope he isn't pulling this stunt in the hopes of getting Brownie points at home by thumbing his nose at the Queen.

Is it possible? :huh:
Is the Queen unpopular in France? Why would he have brownie points for snubbing her?
I don't imagine the Queen having anything like the unpopularity of Bush, the snubbing of whom the former Madame Sarkozy had brownie points, I think.
But I have no idea of what are the general feelings toward Her Majesty in France.... so I am curious about the response. ;)

I admit cutting out the last day leaves a bad taste in my mouth. These diplomatic visits are all about the social graces and rituals of friendship. To cut the day when the French president was supposed to repay the Queen's hospitality seems the height of bad manners. They may have worked it out between themselves but this visit is not just a private visit from Sarkozy to Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor, these two people are Heads of State and they are in fact doing what they are paid to do which is represent their country when they attend these things.

And for France to say, I will come to your party and I know its customary for me to give you a party in return but I'm just not going to do it, this seems the height of rudeness.

So if the visit is public and on the taxpayer's dime, the reason for cutting it short should be made public too.

I'm sure the new first lady is capable of being charming, she did get him to marry her rather quickly after all so she must have some social talent. It does seem a bit out of the ordinary that he is not repaying his hostess, but maybe they have plans to meet relatively soon on French soil instead.

Most likely the president and his wife will come bearing good will and good manners (and leave the guitar at home). ;)

But I have no idea of what are the general feelings toward Her Majesty in France.... so I am curious about the response

The Queen is quite popular in France. As i already said the 2004 state visit was a hit. Most people have a great respect for her, we are very sensitive to the "Monarchy effect"...

I'm sure the new first lady is capable of being charming, she did get him to marry her rather quickly after all so she must have some social talent.

Is this an insult disguised as a compliment, kimebear?

I'm sure the new first lady is capable of being charming, she did get him to marry her rather quickly after all so she must have some social talent.

Lol, I think it was rather him who was willing to marry very quickly. He couldn't go on without having a first lady. Even if France has no law against a single President ruling, it's still not well seen to live alone in the Palais de l'Elysee. The problem of visiting other countries made him took the decision, I believe. India didn't allow him to come with Carla because they weren't married. She couldn't stay his girlfriend forever so he decided to marry her.

Is it possible? :huh:
Is the Queen unpopular in France? Why would he have brownie points for snubbing her?
I don't imagine the Queen having anything like the unpopularity of Bush, the snubbing of whom the former Madame Sarkozy had brownie points, I think.
But I have no idea of what are the general feelings toward Her Majesty in France.... so I am curious about the response. ;)

It isn't so much the Queen herself as the Queen being the embodiment of Britain. Britain and France don't have that smooth a relationship, and it's quite popular in either country if their leaders can manage to deliver a put-down to the other.

It isn't so much the Queen herself as the Queen being the embodiment of Britain. Britain and France don't have that smooth a relationship, and it's quite popular in either country if their leaders can manage to deliver a put-down to the other.

Ah yes, that makes more sense.

Well, I am eager for the state visit all the same, because I think this will be the new Madame Sarkozy's first such visit, and it will be interesting to see how she handles it. So far the only experience of her as first lady has been of a very unofficial nature. I hope she handles herself better than the former Mme. I was never much impressed by the former, although her snub against Bush was well done, imo, hehe. :D

The President and Mme Sarkozy are on their way back from an official visit to South Africa, the first state visit for her.
From what I have seen and read, she was a fine first lady.
I am starting to get eager for the state visit as well... :rolleyes:

because I think this will be the new Madame Sarkozy's first such visit

Yes and not.The presidential couple is currently in South Africa for an official visit. She's doing her duty quite well, very discreet. The only odd thing is her "total black" wardrobe (4 or 5 outfits during the first day of the visit, only in black...). She visited an Aids clinic and apparantly she wants to do some humanitarianism (is that the correct word?)duties...

Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against her. I am against the "speedy Sarkozy" method and all the media fuss around it. She's pretty, she'll wear some nice haute couture dresses, we 'll have some nice photos and she 'll become the glamorous face of Sarkozy's presidency. But sorry to say that but it's a little bit too "nouveau riche" for me. We need a president, not a Rock star...

^Thanks, Nico. I just saw something on reuters via google about the south africa visit. But is the south africa visit, while certainly official, technically a state visit? She does look very casual, the hair in her face. She is so pretty though. Nay, gorgeous. :flowers:

Is this an insult disguised as a compliment, kimebear?

Its neither an insult nor a compliment as I have no personal knowledge of the new First Lady. My observation stems strictly from a logical assumption that men normally do not propose to women they do not find charming.

Queen and President

Her Britannic Majesty was brought up from birth to serve and represent her nation; that she has done with dignity. French People who are alarmed at M. Sarkozy must realize he is an elected official; like our President of the United States. They have a chance to throw him out of office in five years. What dignity is there in an elected official? They are politicians! They live for ego and to be reelected. God Bless the great British People who cherish the splendour of their ancient monarchy.God Save the Queen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom