The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2021, 09:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
There's no law that says a woman has to change her name on marriage. And Zara was known professionally in her riding career as Zara Phillips so it made sense to keep her old name for a time and then change if she wanted to. I still keep my own name but I have occasionally used my husband's surname...
But I was referring to the unusual timing of the changes: several years after marriage, as opposed to on marriage. As I said, my understanding was that married women typically either change their names on marriage or they never change their names at all. I am curious about the reasoning for changing names gradually for several years after the marriage.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:58 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Diana Princess of Wales.
She was known as "Princess of Wales" even after her divorce?If a women divorced from a prince, can she still get a title?

Why don't Princess Anne children's don't have titles ?

Old 06-23-2021, 10:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
But I was referring to the unusual timing of the changes: several years after marriage, as opposed to on marriage. As I said, my understanding was that married women typically either change their names on marriage or they never change their names at all. I am curious about the reasoning for changing names gradually for several years after the marriage.
Well, I dont know when Zara started to use Tindall.. so I can't answer. But there's nothing to stop women changing their minds, in UK law you can call yourself anything so long as you dont use it to commit a fraud. So if Zara chose at first to be Phillips and then later changed to Tindall, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:01 AM
Aristocracy

Why don't British royal family don't have title"Crown Prince/Crown Princess"? Prince Charles is 1st line in throne but Still known as Prince ?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunastro2020 View Post
She was known as "Princess of Wales" even after her divorce?If a women divorced from a prince, can she still get a title?
What do you mean by "get a title"? No, as we've said, in hte UK, there aren't any hereditary peerages given out now, except for senior male royals when they get married. Women divorced from a prince arent going to get a title.

Quote:
Because her husband Mark PHillips did not want a title.. and titles are inherited in the male line, not the female....
Old 06-23-2021, 10:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
What do you mean by "get a title"? No, as we've said, in hte UK, there aren't any hereditary peerages given out now, except for senior male royals when they get married. Women divorced from a prince arent going to get a title.
Pardon me! I meant "If a woman is divorced from a Prince, will they still use their title?" Like If Kate Middleton divorces, Then can she use her title"Duchess of Cambridge"like P.Diana

Quote:
Because her husband Mark PHillips did not want a title.. and titles are inherited in the male line, not the female....
So, If Princess Charlotte will marry in future and have have kids, Her kids wont get title?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Pardon me! I meant "If a woman is divorced from a Prince, will they still use their title?" Like If Kate Middleton divorces, Then can she use her title"Duchess of Cambridge"like P.Diana
If a woman is divorced from a Peer, she can still use the title with her name in front of it. If Mary marries Peter Duke of Blank, and they divorce, she would be Mary Duchess of Blank, but his new wife would be "THE Duchess of Blank".

Quote:
So, If Princess Charlotte will marry in future and have have kids, Her kids wont get title?
No, unless she marries a man with a title......
Old 06-23-2021, 10:10 AM
Aristocracy

What will be Princess Beatrice Kids title?

What will be Meghan Markle title If incase she become queen in future?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It has not happened yet that a woman has divorced from a British royal prince who was not also a peer. However, if the Queen chose to apply the same common-law rules which apply to women divorced from younger sons of peers, such as Lady Colin Campbell, then, as a hypothetical example, Princess Michael of Kent would remain Princess Michael of Kent if she divorced Prince Michael. She would, however, lose her HRH according to the current rules.

Quote:
Why don't British royal family don't have title"Crown Prince/Crown Princess"? Prince Charles is 1st line in throne but Still known as Prince ?
Because "Prince of Wales" is adequate for designating Charles as the first in line, I suppose.

Quote:
They do not have royal titles because Queen Elizabeth II chose to (for the most part) follow the regulations established by her grandfather in 1917, which accord royal titles only to children and male-line descendants of British monarchs.

They do not have lesser titles of nobility because Princess Anne and her husband refused the Queen's offer of a peerage.

Quote:
British titles can be inherited in the female line if the female is the sovereign or a peeress in her own right.

Quote:
What will be Meghan Markle title If incase she become queen in future?
HM The Queen.

Quote:
They will be untitled, like her sister's son Master August Brooksbank.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:25 AM
Aristocracy

Titles are often accompanied by places like Wales, Cornwall, Cambridge,Sussex etc. What happen if they are no longer places left?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Titles are often accompanied by places like Wales, Cornwall, Cambridge,Sussex etc. What happen if they are no longer places left?
That will never happen. There are millions of place names within the United Kingdom and many more are added each year.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
SInce there are very few titles given out now, it is not likely to happen.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:32 AM
Aristocracy

Can parliament remove HRH titles?

Can British royal titles be accompanied by places in UK like Wales, Cambridge etc. only? Can they replaced by places of other countries which is under Queen Elizabeth control?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Can parliament remove HRH titles?
no, they are part of the queen's prerogative.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Aristocracy

Does they use titles in schools? Or It will be replaced by their title's place for example Charlotte Cambridge

Was Prince William title Duke Of Cambridge since his birth?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Was Prince William title Duke Of Cambridge since his birth?
No, he was given the title at his marriage... That's the general rule for princes who get a title, it is given when they get married.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:47 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
No, he was given the title at his marriage... That's the general rule for princes who get a title, it is given when they get married.
So,What was Prince William title of birth?
Old 06-23-2021, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
So,What was Prince William title of birth?
HRH Prince William of Wales
Old 06-23-2021, 11:17 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Quote:

They will be untitled, like her sister's son Master August Brooksbank.
I'd read that because Edo (Beatrice's husband) is an Italian Count that their children will inherit the title of Cont or Nobile Donna. But I don't claim to know anything about it myself and am not sure if they would actually use those titles in the UK.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
British titles can be inherited in the female line if the female is the sovereign or a peeress in her own right.
There are instances where a special remainder is issued to allow a female to inherit her father's title. This happened with Earl Mountbatten of Burma (Louis Mountbatten aka "Uncle Dickie".

The letters patent creating the peerage had the remainder that "...to his eldest daughter Patricia Edwina Victoria, Baroness Brabourne...and the heirs male of her body lawfully begotten; and in default of such issue to every other daughter lawfully begotten of the said Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas, Viscount Mountbatten of Burma, successively in order of seniority of age and priority of birth and to the heirs male of their bodies lawfully begotten..."

If I'm not mistaken though, this kind of remainder is a rarity.

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles