The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-03-2020, 01:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Thank you to you both for your responses.

It's is all very unsatisfactory. I hadn't realised that BP had referred to her in this way. Very peculiar.

I appreciate that this is an unusual situation but things shouldn't just be changed so lightly. Otherwise what's the point of having rules about styles & titles.
Has BP referred to her in this way? I don't believe so.

Nothings really been changed, except for the use of their HRH. They are still The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, but if they've made it known they want to be referred to as Henry, The Duke of Sussex and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex. That is their choice.

Afterall it won't matter with the press anyway, she's still Meghan Markle to them.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:12 PM
Royal Highness

Well, marginally better than "Duchess Meghan" I suppose. That really would be the end. And no this is not about the specific individual just in case anyone thinks it is. I am genuinely puzzled (& irked) that centuries of tradition can be so lightly discarded. And seemingly approved of or at least tolerated.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Has BP referred to her in this way? I don't believe so.

Nothings really been changed, except for the use of their HRH. They are still The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, but if they've made it known they want to be referred to as Henry, The Duke of Sussex and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex. That is their choice.

Afterall it won't matter with the press anyway, she's still Meghan Markle to them.
BP hasn't referred to them in this way? My mistake then. I understood Pranter to say that the palace pr team had called her this?

Ah, so it is their choice. I wasn't sure. Still think it's wrong to mess about with traditional forms of address though.

About the press, oh yes I'm sure you're right. But there again, what do they know about correct forms of address?
Old 04-03-2020, 01:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I guess that's what Meghan herself approved. As it is in the official Disney trailer.

No, it's not. It would be Meghan, Duchess of Sussex in the case of a divorce. Disney uses 'Meghan, THE Duchess of Sussex'.
The combination is unusual but factually Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex is correct as indeed The Duchess of Sussex is Meghan... It is much better than "Duchess Meghan" or "Duchess Meghan Markle".
Old 04-03-2020, 01:31 PM
Royal Highness

It's not as if there are hordes of Duchesses of Sussex out there.

Does that mean if Harry remarries then it will be Meghan, a Duchess of Sussex? And then if he takes a third wife then (name of divorced no 2), another Duchess of Sussex?

Sorry, I've got the ball now & I'm gong to keep running with it.

The whole thing is silly beyond words. She is "The Duchess of Sussex", end of.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:35 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

Does that mean if Harry remarries then it will be Meghan, a Duchess of Sussex? And then if he takes a third wife then (name of divorced no 2), another Duchess of Sussex?

If Henry remarries, she becomes Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. She drops “The”.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
BP hasn't referred to them in this way? My mistake then. I understood Pranter to say that the palace pr team had called her this?

Ah, so it is their choice. I wasn't sure. Still think it's wrong to mess about with traditional forms of address though.

About the press, oh yes I'm sure you're right. But there again, what do they know about correct forms of address?

https://time.com/5768763/buckingham-...itles-divorce/

.....the Palace said the couple would be addressed moving forward as “Harry, Duke of Sussex” and “Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.”.....

LaRae
Old 04-03-2020, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Raine, Countess Spencer
Victoria, Countess Spencer
Caroline, Countess Spencer
The Countess Spencer (Karen)

So yes, if Harry marries two more times we can have three "Duchess of Sussex" walking around.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If Henry remarries, she becomes Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. She drops “The”.
I know. I was just being mischievous.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post

.....the Palace said the couple would be addressed moving forward as “Harry, Duke of Sussex” and “Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.”.....

LaRae
Thanks for this. Missed this first time round.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Thanks for this. Missed this first time round.

Welcome!

When it first came out I was like what in the world? Shouldn't they know how titles work over there?

LaRae
Old 04-03-2020, 02:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Welcome!

When it first came out I was like what in the world? Shouldn't they know how titles work over there?

LaRae
Does it really matter? Meghan will have to be known as Meghan Duchess of Sussex.. she wotn get any jobs as Meghan Markle...
Old 04-03-2020, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Does it really matter? Meghan will have to be known as Meghan Duchess of Sussex.. she wotn get any jobs as Meghan Markle...

But why can't she use Duchess Meghan of Sussex for example.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post

Does your correct name/title (Sir, Mr etc)? Yes it matters or ppl wouldn't use them at all.

She was able to get jobs before she met Harry using Meghan Markle. Not like she was sitting home eating bon bons waiting on some guy to come rescue her.

LaRae
Old 04-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

LaRae

Actually, they never said that. I pretty much live watched all the information reporting from December, it was reporters who took hints and ran with it. Official announcement wise, nothing has ever been mentioned about how they would be referred to, other than they would drop their HRHs.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It's just not correct form at all. Maybe in the German speaking lands? But never here.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's just not correct form at all. Maybe in the German speaking lands? But never here.

I know the correct form is without the name at all. But to me Duchess Meghan of Sussex sound better then Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I know the correct form is without the name at all. But to me Duchess Meghan of Sussex sound better then Meghan, Duchess of Sussex.
A fair point. It's just that British usage is very clear. Ducal titles are territorial not personal, if that makes sense. I know that European traditions are different.

It's never Duke Cavendish or Duke Churchill but of Devonshire/Marlborough.

Only the younger children of dukes, marquesses & earls (daughters only) use their Christian names after lord/lady. Even that is by courtesy only since they are not actually peers. And even then the title of the parent is not used but the family name.

You may well already know all this.

The bottom line is that in Britain it just makes no sense & is totally alien to all accepted traditions & usage. It just sounds peculiar.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Because she isn't. She is 'Princess Henry, Duchess of Sussex'. There is no such person as a 'Duchess Meghan'. The UK doesn't know any Duke 'first name' or Duchess 'first name'; only The Duke/Duchess of …; and if they are divorced or widowed names might be used prior to the title (although 'The Dowager Duchess of X - is perfectly clear if there is only one dowager) to distinct them from the current holder.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:51 AM
Heir Apparent

At the start of the transition, Buckingham Palace indeed communicated to reporters that the couple would be known from Spring as "Harry, Duke of Sussex" and "Meghan, Duchess of Sussex". In addition to the report provided by Pranter in post #4827, note for instance the reports in the BBC and the Guardian, along with other reports.

Afterwards, the Palace reviewed their advice after it was brought to their attention that the Duchess would be using the same style as a divorced woman.

Apparently, the Palace subsequently communicated to reporters that the couple would be known simply as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

However, it was announced on the couple's website that they would "formally" remain known as HRH The Duke of Sussex and HRH The Duchess of Sussex.

And indeed, the official website of Buckingham Palace continues to address the Duchess of Sussex as Her Royal Highness.

Regarding other European countries, I think it is appropriate for the separate countries of Europe to maintain their own systems, and the one is no more logical than the other. If German speakers use "Duchess Meghan", that is simply analogous to the way in which English speakers use British forms to name foreign royals.

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles