Questions about British Styles and Titles 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tommix is right. The Queen can't change who inherits the peerage unless it reverts to the crown. However, since it's an inheritable peerage, and Prince Philip has sons, the eldest (charles) inherits. However, when Charles becomes King, it reverts back to the crown, and thus can be given out again.

Actualy the Queen can change who inherits the title. Letters Patent governs usual inheritance of a title, however by decree of the Monarch it can be changed. For example Countess Mountbatten-Burma would not have inherited the title as she was a woman, however the Queen gave permission for her to do so as her father was a great friend of the family and Prince Phillips Uncle.

On the death of the Duke of Ediburgh, will the Earl and Countess of Wessex then be know as/referred to as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh?

Originally posted by Raia@Nov 24th, 2003 - 4:06 pm
Just because you have a PhD in British history doesnt mean you know it all about the royal family and the titles.
Pardon me, but I am an expert in this particlular subject. The legal aspects of the granting of British titles, the issuance of Letters Patent and Royal Warrants are well within my field of expertise.
The facts that I previously stated concerning the Edinburgh title are correct and congruous with the original granting of that particular title. If you choose not to agree with me that is your prerogative.
I do not pretend to know EVERYTHING about the British Royal Family. Nobody can know everything. I like to think that my lifes work has given me some degree of knowledge concerning them, but most assuredly I do not know everything.

Please read what this authoritative website has to say about this subject-
http://www.heraldica.org/faqs/britfaq.html#edinburgh2

Calm down Tommix! I believe that you're right. It's always up to a nice hearty healty argument. *cough* :flower: Moving on: What was the "fuss" with Beatrice and Eugenie being princesses?

TOMMIX    Posted: Nov 24th, 2003 - 12:30 pm
(King Christian @ Nov 23rd, 2003 - 10:32 pm)
Splodger  Posted: Nov 23rd, 2003 - 6:10 pm
I also remember reading somewhere that upon Prince Phillips death, Edward will become Duke of Edinburgh.
That is correct.
No, that is not exactly correct. Please refer to a previous posting of mine which explains this situation.
I based my answer on - if I recall correctly - reading authoritive websource like the Monarch's webpage.

TOMMIX  Posted: Nov 24th, 2003 - 9:12 pm
Pardon me, but I am an expert in this particlular subject.
Even though my clients might call me an expert, I sure don't label myself by that word, for the simple reason that (the definition of) "X" is "an unknown quantity" and "spurt" is "a drip under pressure".

If anything, I am might be an "authority", and I've found that the arguments intensify in inverse proportion to the available knowledge. ;) :flower:

With Regards to HRH The Earl of Wessex:

Quoted from The British Monarchy's Wepage
http://www.royal.gov.uk

"Upon his marriage to Miss Sophie Rhys-Jones in 1999, he was created The Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn; at the same time it was announced that His Royal Highness will eventually succeed to the title of The Duke of Edinburgh."

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page417.asp

At the time of their wedding it was decided, with the couple's agreement, that any children they have should not be given the style His or Her Royal Highness, but would have courtesy titles as sons or daughters of an earl.

Accordingly, their daughter is known as The Lady Louise Windsor.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page476.asp

Question for Tommix

Thought you might be able to help answer this one. What did Prince George of Denmark become upon Queen Anne's succession. I assume until her succession in 1702 she was Anne, Princess George of Denmark; however when she became Queen, did George remain a Prince of Denmark or was he given a British title?

Originally posted by Alexandria@Apr 11th, 2003 - 9:00 pm
And Andrew has always been the Duke of York.
:flower: Oh, Alexandria, sorry to say, but here you made a little mistake.

Prince Andrew has not always been Duke of York! He got the title when he married. :flower:

Oh, now I saw, that samitude had already corrected the matter. :flower:

What was the fuss when Beatrice and Eugenie got the title "Princess"? Someone said this before...

If the queen mother was the last empress of india, how come princess elizabeth(now queen ) and margareth wasnt titled imperial highness before india gained its independence?

I don't mind if you can't answer the question
thanks in advance!

Hello everybody... what does the title "princess royal" mean and what make the difference between a princess royal and a "normal" princess?

Would be great if anyone had soem information!

It is the traditional title given to the oldest daughter of the King or Queen of England. Princess Anne will have it for life.

Princess Royal Mary(1897-1965),eldest daughter of King George V and Queen Mary of Teck.

I hear only one person can have that title at a time. Like Ratherread said, Anne will have it for life and only when she died can there be another Princess Royal.

Queen Victoria's oldest child, her daughter Victoria (Vicky) was the Princess Royal and kept the title all her life, even when she became the Empress of Prussia. The next Princess Royal was King Edward VII's daughter Louise, who married the Duke of Fife. Then came Princess Mary, daughter of George V and Queen Mary who was Princess Royal for her lifetime.
Anne will be Princess Royal for her life, and if she is anything like the Queen Mum, that could be a long time.

According to the Royal Family's website, the first Princess Royal was the eldest daughter of Charles I, and wasn't used again until George II conferred it on his eldest daughter. Princess Anne is the seventh Princess Royal.

The Kent title

In Kent now,they have 3 titles.The Duke of Kent,Princess Alexandra of Kent,Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.So,do you know which title is higher?The Duke,Alexandra or Michael?

The Duke because he inherited his title from his father, Prince George who who was the son of George the V. Princess Alexandra is the sister of the current Duke and she got her title because her father was the former Duke of Kent and she is the granddaughter of a monarch and the same goes with Prince Michael.

Australian said:
This is the coronet (crown) of Her Excellency Baroness Margaret Thatcher
has anyone else got any pics of other well know Baroness's etc?

Australian;

I'm curious as to why you've given The Right Hon. Baroness Thatcher KG OM PC FRS, the prefix "Her Excellency"? If it's a joke, then I apologise for not getting it:) But otherwise I just was checking why you'd used it.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for her, no.

The Prefix "Excellency" is mainly reserved for Governors-General/Governors/Lieutenant Governors and Ambassadors, at least in the British Commonwealth. I don't know about other nations, I recall there are historical examples of "Excellence" being used for some minor (and not so minor), figures.

The Right Honourable Baroness Thatcher KG OM PC FRS however doesn't qualify for the prefix, but as a Baroness in her own right, and as a former Prime-Minister of Britain, she is accorded the prefix "The Right Honourable".

I thought Excellency was higher than honorable b/c I've seen U.S. Presidents ahev the prefix His Excellency and Top Diplomats (like th eSecretary of State and ambassadors) have the Honorable

Reina;
I haven't got a clue about the U.S.A, but I sincierly doubt that the two systems are the same.

The Right Hon. Baroness Thatcher KG OM PC FRS is styled as such, there are variations which list her as: The Right Hon. Margaret Hilda, Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven KG OM PC FRS, but she is nothing more, and nothing less. No "Excellency" to be found.

Other titles of the Royal Family

hey Guys!

As children and grand children of HM The Queen can they use her other titles aswell and call themselves by them as Camila does as Duchess of Cornwall, such as:

Her Royal Highness Eugenie Victoria Helena Mountbatten-Windsor, Princess of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Princess of Canada, Princess of Australia, Princess of New Zealand, Princess of Jamaica, Princess Barbados, Princess of the Bahamas, Princess of Grenada, Princess of Papua New Guinea, Princess of the Solomon Islands, Princess of Tuvalu, Princess of St. Lucia, Princess of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Princess of Antigua and Barbuda, Princess of St. Kitts and Nevis & Princess of Belize.

Also, if german titles were not stripped by King George, what german titles would the Queen hold and her Grand Children? (i love german titles!!) cheers xx

Her Majesty , Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Schweslig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg , Queen of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland and Empress of India, Queen of Canada, Queen of Australia, Queen of New Zealand, Queen of Jamaica, Queen of Barbados, Queen of the Bahamas, Queen of Grenada, Queen of Papua New Guinea, Queen of the Solomon Islands, Queen of Tuvalu, Queen of St. Lucia, Queen of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Queen of Antigua and Barbuda, Queen of St. Kitts and Nevis & Queen of Belize, Queen of Ghana, Queen of Nigeria, Queen of Sierra Leone, Queen of Tanganyika, Queen of Uganda, Queen of Kenya, Queen of Malawi, Queen of Mauritius, Queen of South Africa, Queen of The Gambia, Queen of Rodhesia, Queen of Pakistan, Queen of Ceylon, Queen of Trinidad and Tobago, Queen of Guyana, Queen of Malta, Queen of Fiji, Defender of the Faith, Duke of Normandy, Lord of Mann, Sovereign of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Sovereign of the Order of the Most Ancient Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Order of St Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Noble Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Order of St Michael and St George, Sovereign of the Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Imperial Order of the Crown of India, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Order of Indian Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Family Orders, Sovereign of the Order of Mercy, Sovereign of the Order of Pakistan, Sovereign of the Order of the National Hero, Sovereign of the Order of Jamaica, Sovereign of the Order of Distinction, Sovereign of the Order of Military Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Nation, Sovereign of the Order of the Republic of Gambia, Sovereign of the Order of Australia, Sovereign of the Queen's Service Order, Sovereign of the Order of Barbados, Sovereign of the Order of St Lucia, Sovereign of the Order of New Zealand, Sovereign of the Order of the National Hero, Sovereign of the Order of Belize, Sovereign of the Order of Princely Heritage, Sovereign of the Order of Merit of the Police Forces, Order of Pakistan 1st Class, Order of Temasek 1st Class, Order of the State Crown , Royal Family Order of Brunei 1st Class, Ghazi of the Order of the Distinguished Leader 1st Class, Order of the Golden Heart , Grand Commander of the Order of the Republic of Gambia, Grand Commander of the Order of the Lion, Presidential Order of Botswana, Order of the Star, Award of Honour , Gold Trinity Cross , Companion of Honour of the Order of Merit, Royal Family Order of the Crown of Brunei, Grand Cross in Gold of the Order of Good Hope, Grand Master of the Order of the National Hero, Knight of the Order of the Elephant, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Foreign Legion, Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Netherlands Lion, The Order of St Olga and St Sophia 1st Class, Collar of the Order of Hussein ibn' Ali, Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim, Gold Collar of the Order of Manuel Amador Guerrero, Grand Cordan with Collar of the Order of Idris I , Grand Collar of the Order of Solomon, Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of St Olav, Order of the Hashimites, Grand Cordon with Collar of the Order of Merit, Grand Cross, Special Class of the Order of Merit, Grand Collar of the Order of Pahlavi, Grand Cross in Brilliants of the Order of the Sun, Grand Collar of the Order of the Liberator General San Martin, Knight with Collar of Order of the House of Chakri, Mahendra Chain, Grand Cordon with Collar of the Order of Independence, Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the White Rose, Grand Cordon of the National Order, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Lion, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Ivory Coast, Knight Grand Band of the Order of the Star of Africa, Collar of the Order of the Chrysanthemum, Grand Cordon of the Order of Valour, Grand Cross of the Order of Leopold, Grand Cross of the Order of the Redeemer, Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Icelandic Falcon, Grand Collar of the Order of the Southern Cross, The Order of Order of Al-Nahayyan 1st Class, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Equatorial Star, Knight of the Order of the Golden Lion of the House of Nassau, Order of the Yugoslavian Grand Star, Grand Collar of the National Order of the Aztec Eagle, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Leopard, Star of Adipurna 1st Class, Grand Collar of the Military Order of St James of the Sword, Collar of the Order of Mubarak the Great, Collar of the Order of al-Khalifa, Badr Chain,

Last edited by a moderator:
Superior Class of the Order of Oman, Grand Collar of the Order of Muhammad, Order of Said, Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of Carlos III, Order of Nungunghwa, Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece, Grand Cordon of the Order of the Federal Republic, Order of Temasek 1st Class, Collar of the Federation, Grand Collar of the Order of the Cross of Boyaca, Order of Kuwait Special Class, Order of the White Lion 1st Class, Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of The Three Stars, Order of the Golden Eagle, Colonel-in-Chief of the Grenadier Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's), Colonel-in-Chief of the 16th/5th Queen's Royal Lancers, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Durban Light Infantry, Colonel-in-Chief of Le Régiment de la Chaudière, Colonel-in-Chief of the 48th Highlanders of Canada, Colonel-in-Chief of the South African Railways and Harbours Brigade, Honorary Brigadier of the Women's Royal Army Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Life Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Horse Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the Coldstream Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the Scots Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the Irish Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the Welsh Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Colonel-in-Chief of the Corps of Royal Engineers, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Governor General's Horse Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the Imperial Light Horse, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Scots Greys, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Tank Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Welch Fusiliers, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Loyal Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the The King's Royal Rifle Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the The King's African Rifles, Colonel-in-Chief of the Northern Rhodesia Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Malta Artillery, Colonel-in-Chief of the The King's Own Malta Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the The King's Own Calgary Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal 22e Régiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Governor General's Foot Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Canadian Grenadier Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Carleton and York Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Australian Engineers, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Australian Infantry Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Australian Army Ordnance Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Australian Army Nursing Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the Corps of Royal New Zealand Engineers, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Countess of Ranfurly's Own Auckland Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Wellington Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Natal Carbineers, Colonel-in-Chief of the Kaffrarian Rifles, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Rhodesia Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Royal New Brunswick Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Queen's Own Nigeria Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Queen's Own Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Canadian Ordnance Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the Ghana Regiment of Infantry, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Nigerian Military Forces, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Sierra Leone Military Forces, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Malawi Rifles, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Green Jackets, Colonel-in-Chief of the Blues and Royals, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Queen's Lancashire Regiment, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Fiji Military Forces, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Queen's Own Yeomanry, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Queen's Own Mercian Yeomanry,

Colonel-in-Chief of the Corps of Royal Military Police, Colonel-in-Chief of the Canadian Forces Military Engineers Branch, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal New Zealand Army Ordnance Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Calgary Highlanders, Colonel-in-Chief of the Adjutant General's Corps, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Queen's Royal Lancers, Colonel-in-Chief of the The Queen's Gurkha Engineers, Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry, Captain-General of the Royal Regiment of Artillery, Captain-General of the Honourable Artillery Company, Captain-General of the The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery, Captain-General of the Combined Cadet Force, Captain-General of the Royal Regiment of Australian Artillery, aptain-General of the Royal Regiment of New Zealand Artillery, Captain-General of the Royal New Zealand Armoured Corps, Air-Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, Air-Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Air Force Regiment, Air-Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Observer Corps, Air-Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Canadian Air Force Auxiliary, Air-Commodore-in-Chief of the Australian Citizen Air Force, Air-Commodore-in-Chief of the Territorial Air Force of New Zealand, Honorary Air Commodore of the 603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron, Commandant-in-Chief of the Royal Air Force College Cranwell, Patron of the Royal Army Chaplains' Department, Lord High Admiral of the Royal Navy, Honorary Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Fellow of the Royal Society, Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Drapers, Freeman of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, Freeman of the City of London, Freeman of the City of Cardiff, Freeman of the City of Edinburgh, Freeman of the City of Belfast, Burgess of the Royal Burgh of Stirling, Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Honorary Bachelor of Music, Honorary Doctor of Civil Law, Honorary Doctor of Music and Honorary Doctor of Laws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom