British Royal Christmas 1: 2008-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ll get to see footage of the event during the Queen’s Christmas Speech.

Royal fans will see more of the preparation of these royal puddings, as footage of the royals baking together was recorded for use in the Queen’s Christmas Broadcast, to air on Christmas Day at 3pm.

Source

I love those pictures, much better than a formal portrait. But I hope that Peter Pan collars will soon be history on George.

I guess the logistics of getting all 4 together at Christmas time would have been nigh on impossible. Given the party which was to follow the phot shoot, limited time would have prevented change of clothes plus I think if some of the Royals had donned aprons or rolled up their sleeves it might have looked even more ridiculous in the environment of Buckingham Palace with the Queen dressed ready for the party. So, faced with this situation I think they did well. I would concede it might have been suggested to HM she lose the handbag - but that would have to have been one brave photographer.
I do love these four generations photos which will be pored over by generations to come.

The pictures were for charity George being in them makes sense, as his life will be dedicated to charity when he get older. He might as well learn now. I do think the Queen
should have put the bag down , I have never understood why she totes a purse in he own house.

George was the only one mixing the pudding, so I agree to have them all in aprons would have looked ridiculous plus would have lost the majesty of the photograph.

The queen was not going to put an apron on and mix the pudding, she observes, does not take part.

It is a charity event for the Royal British Legion but lets not forget the other story, the four generations of the throne. Nobody knows what will happen in the future but how many families have photographs of four generations. Rather than nit picking the photograph we should look at it's historical nature.

Also The Queen isn't the Queen without her handbag.

Last edited:
The queen and 2 future monarchs mixing a pudding at Christmas there's a Christmas Card I'd like to see ?

I think it might be as simple as she probably has handkerchief in her handbag, she might not have pockets in her outfits ;)

I think the photo's with 4 generations of monarchs are lovely, what a privilige to be able to have those...

The Royal British Legion is one of the patronages that The Queen does support annually with the Festival of Remembrance. I have been trying to find out if their patron has always been the monarch but I can't get the information I am looking for but the royals have always been closely linked to this charity. I can see Charles taking this over and in time it passing to William and George and ...

The monarch and the next three kings is also a sign of the continuity of the monarchy and supporting a cause normally regarded as important in the life of the British nation although some of the comments on the DM and elsewhere are scathing of them doing this as purely PR. In the past it would have been seen as 'promoting a cause' but now every time the royals do anything it is for their personal PR it seems (according to some).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the photo's with 4 generations of monarchs are lovely, what a privilige to be able to have those...

It doesn't get more British or Festive than the queen and Christmas Pudding at Christmas.

The Royal British Legion is one of the patronages that The Queen does support annually with the Festival of Remembrance. I have been trying to find out if their patron has always been the monarch but I can't get the information I am looking for but the royals have always been closely linked to this charity. I can see Charles taking this over and in time it passing to William and George and ...

The monarch and the next three kings is also a sign of the continuity of the monarchy and supporting a cause normally regarded as important in the life of the British nation although some of the comments on the DM and elsewhere are scathing of them doing this as purely PR. In the past it would have been seen as 'promoting a cause' but now every time the royals do anything it is for their personal PR it seems (according to some).

The Prince of Wales became the Legion's first patron in 1921. George VI became patron after the abdication.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...hUKEwji96-awcnmAhVRZcAKHSpWCxMQ6AEwD3oECAcQAQ

Glad I wasn't the only one noticing the queen's handbag. She clearly did not intend at all to participate. Her role was just to see the younger generation do (a tiny little bit of) the work.

Nonetheless, it's really nice to get new 4-generation pictures!

Glad I wasn't the only one noticing the queen's handbag. She clearly did not intend at all to participate. Her role was just to see the younger generation do (a tiny little bit of) the work.
Agree. They all didn't intend to cook. It's like tree planting ceremonies. They were there to symbolically launch this "Christmas puddings" program.

While it is great to see a 4 generation picture with more life to it than the last one, though I think that one was for a stamp, I lean towards the PR stunt idea. This is mainly for the reasons already mentioned - Charles and William in a suit and tie, George in his 1950s recreation balcony costume and the biggest tell is that they are "cooking" in the Music Room instead of a kitchen. I think think aprons would have been appropriate for William, Charles and George because after all, you have a six year old doing the mixing and accidents can happen. While this was done for a very good cause, I still think the manner in which it was done was not the best.

Most likely they were trying to fit it in within a short time frame (i.e. needs to be done before HM left for Sandringham), the only day to get the family all together was the day the Queen hosts lunch for them all, thus the kitchens were probably too busy to be used. It was really just a symbolic moment to advertise the charity / campaign so I'm not too fussed at the formal wear and lack of kitchen but would love to be a fly on the wall if they want to recreate this again in the kitchens of Sandringham or Anmer over the festive break;)?

Most likely they were trying to fit it in within a short time frame (i.e. needs to be done before HM left for Sandringham), the only day to get the family all together was the day the Queen hosts lunch for them all, thus the kitchens were probably too busy to be used. It was really just a symbolic moment to advertise the charity / campaign so I'm not too fussed at the formal wear and lack of kitchen but would love to be a fly on the wall if they want to recreate this again in the kitchens of Sandringham or Anmer over the festive break;)?

I agree with you. I've read that the family Christmas lunch is a full on affair ie a 3-4 course meal with turkey and all the trimmings for potentially between 60-70 people (children included). That is a lot of food so I can imagine the BP chefs would have flipped if the royals had tried to do that shoot in the kitchens:lol:

Agree. They all didn't intend to cook. It's like tree planting ceremonies. They were there to symbolically launch this "Christmas puddings" program.

I thought the Queen and her three successors to the crown which also happens to be her family truly represented the theme of the initiative of "Together at Christmas". The program aims to reach out to those that serve and have served to ensure that Christmas is enjoyed by "family". What better photo for this then four monarchs (count 'em) who will most likely continue into the future to support this endeavor just as it started with the Prince of Wales being patron back in 1921.

Its not only a photo of continuity in the monarchy (all four of them in a photo truly is historic) but also seems, at least to me, to pledge continuity of support for this wonderful initiative.

Its fitting for me to see the Queen with her handbag. Its part of her iconic presence over the years. She not only carries what she needs in it (including a hook to hang it from a table she's sitting at) but also uses it to "signal" certain things. BP is a big place and she carries stuff with her rather than needing to go back to her apartment for a tissue or send someone to go fetch. :D

It's a worthwhile charity initiative, and a nice series of photos. Anyone who thinks the Queen should have donned an apron, moved to the kitchens, or actually done any of the stirring hasn't been paying attention to how she does things for the last 60+ years of her reign. Of course it's a PR stunt, just as every royal appearance, by every single member of the royal family in support of a charity is. They use their presence to signal support and direct attention to worthwhile endeavors. I'm really perplexed by all the forensic analysis over this one.

I’m surprised so many dislike these photos, but...as for me, I love them. I never once thought about any of the things being mentioned here; I just love seeing the four generations together - they looked so happy..

I agree with everything Ista said! Except the surprise at the over analysis of it, the other day the world nearly fell in because William and Kate arrived separately at the Queen's Christmas Lunch...sometimes we all (I included myself in that) need to just take a deep breath and chill....or failing that drink some more Christmas sprit :whistling:?

It's a worthwhile charity initiative, and a nice series of photos. Anyone who thinks the Queen should have donned an apron, moved to the kitchens, or actually done any of the stirring hasn't been paying attention to how she does things for the last 60+ years of her reign. Of course it's a PR stunt, just as every royal appearance, by every single member of the royal family in support of a charity is. They use their presence to signal support and direct attention to worthwhile endeavors. I'm really perplexed by all the forensic analysis over this one.

That's a common ailment in these parts. ;)

As for being perplexed by all the griping, I think it's more of a matter of some royal watchers missing those who weren't there. As such they would be hard pressed to enjoy any display of the Queen and her three heirs.

I get jazzed over multi-generation royal photos as much as the next royal watcher but this looks slap dash. There is no doubt that the Royal British Legion is an important charity, but since the reveal that footage will be part of the Queen's Christmas message, I suspect that this was hastily put together to enhance / brighten up the message in a year that, like 1992, she will likely not be looking back with undiluted pleasure.

Last edited:
I am hoping the Cambridges will officially release their Christmas Card soon. Then the Sussexes also release their Christmas Card.

Last edited:
I wonder when members of the RF start to arrive at Sandringham?

Queen Elizabeth ,Prince of Wales, Duke of Cambridge and Prince George in the Music Room at Buckingham Palace, as part of the launch of The Royal British Legion's Together at Christmas initiative.

https://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:159648268:1800x650:w?v=5da1df12&m=boojokci
https://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:159648265:1800x650:w?v=5da1df12&m=nmfmleic
https://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:159648278:1800x650:w?v=5da1df12&m=dmimijjf
I was so surprised about these photos I first thought this was photo shopped...
The idea is great, but making a pudding in elegant clothes like these (especially the Queen looked even more elegant than for last week´s state opening of parliament:lol:) without any spills on exquisite white table cloth does not seem very authentic to me...!;)

Last edited:
I wonder when members of the RF start to arrive at Sandringham?

From the photos that were linked in the Queen's fashion thread, it looks like the Wessex family is already at Sandringham and attended church with the Queen this morning. ?

Love the photos of the four, always. And who cares how they are dressed, yes the queen could have lost the handbag but since it was before her Christmas lunch and hard to get them all together I’m sure, this is just fine. Love her sapphire brooch. George’s Peter Pan collar goes with his Eaton collar jacket I am sure, which must have been removed for the baking. How I dressed my young sons on special occasions not too long ago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom