The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Scot View Post
Many people (including Piers) are saying that they do not believe Meghan. She said in the interview that she emailed requests for help. It could be that she saved those emails. Just in case, you know.
Well, if she emailed someone within "the institution" then surely those emails exist, on some server, somewhere... Not that BP is likely to ever let them leak.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Many people (including Piers) are saying that they do not believe Meghan. She said in the interview that she emailed requests for help. It could be that she saved those emails. Just in case, you know.
If there's a paper trail, the palace looked at it before releasing the statement that didn't address that issue at all. Whatever proof she might have, she didn't share it with Oprah or her viewers (nor should she have, IMHO), so Morgan wouldn't have been aware of it. If someone can't live with the fact that not everyone is going to believe rather outrageous claims they made in an interview during which they provably lied about several other things, that someone should probably stop trying to make a career out of talking about themselves on international media.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
Well, if she emailed someone within "the institution" then surely those emails exist, on some server, somewhere... Not that BP is likely to ever let them leak.
Well, Meghan would have certainly saved them.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:02 PM
Serene Highness

I know not everyone likes TalkRadio and Mike Graham, but I think this caller raise some very good points after watching the Oprah's interview. He has changed his mind from criticising Meghan for being unaware of what she is signing up to blaming Harry for not explaining and preparing her for the role of senior working royals. I think some posters would agree with him as well.
talkRADIO @talkRADIO
Peter in Leicester thinks Prince Harry is to blame for the royal fallout: “[He] should understand more than anybody what happens when you bring somebody that’s not prepared or suited for the role she’s expected to take on.”
Watch talkRADIO live ► http://youtu.be/zc-9k1SbJ_Q
@Iromg
10:52 PM · Mar 9, 2021·Twitter Media Studio - LiveCut
https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status...54769076953088

Here is a tweet from Mahyar Tousi a conservative commentator on Harry & Meghan's interview: https://twitter.com/MahyarTousi/stat...43988775370753

He also weighed in the Piers Morgan's situation in his Youtube livestream, where he could also answer viewers' question. He is mixed about the sacking of Piers Morgan and I think this applies to most conservatives.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyAmerican View Post
I'd still like more information about what "denied help" meant. Ok, so she was advised against going to a residential facility. (And that's all it was - no matter what she claims, there's no way anyone would have physically stopped her from doing it.) What had she done by way of seeking help up until that point, and what other options did she consider? Did she arrange for someone to visit her at her home on a daily basis? She easily could have. Did she consider non-residential outside treatment? She said nothing about being prevented from doing that. If she'd done all that and felt it wasn't working, then maybe it would be reasonable to get upset when denied the next step up. But she didn't even hint at any of that. From what she's said, it appears she wasn't interested in anything other than inpatient treatment, and wasn't willing to try other options either before or after making that request.
I don't think it is totally clear that she wanted residential treatment. In the interview she said:

"And I was — I went to the institution, and I said that I needed to go somewhere to get help. I said that, ‘I’ve never felt this way before, and I need to go somewhere’. And I was told that I couldn’t, that it wouldn’t be good for the institution. And I called . . . "

Maybe going somewhere meant going to a doctor's office. Although it would certainly be more sensational (and possibly discoverable) if she went into a treatment facility.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I believe that Meghan had mental health problems; I don't know if I believe that staff at the palace refused to get her help. Again, I also don't understand why her husband - who has been to therapy himself and works on mental health campaigns - did not get her help.

If she has e-mails that prove it, I think she should show them.

Piers is ridiculous. It serves him right that he had to leave ITV, he was incredibly unprofessional (and not just by storming off because someone countered his arguments) but he would also never let Susanna speak.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I don't think it is totally clear that she wanted residential treatment. In the interview she said:

"And I was — I went to the institution, and I said that I needed to go somewhere to get help. I said that, ‘I’ve never felt this way before, and I need to go somewhere’. And I was told that I couldn’t, that it wouldn’t be good for the institution. And I called . . . "

Maybe going somewhere meant going to a doctor's office. Although it would certainly be more sensational (and possibly discoverable) if she went into a treatment facility.
Maybe, but I think it's still fair to ask what options that didn't involve "going somewhere" she'd explored and exhausted before deciding that she absolutely had to "go somewhere." They have their own staff doctors, and she was fortunate to have the means to arrange 24/7 in-home care and supervision if she thought she needed it. If she didn't do any of that, then telling her to try that first seems pretty reasonable to me.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:15 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I'm very glad that EAPs exist. However Meghan was not an "employee." Neither is HM, the DoE, the PoW, etc...

The members of the British Royal Family who undertake official duties and engagements on behalf of the monarchy and the UK are not considered to be employees of Buckingham Palace.

When Meghan needed an OB/GYN to provide her care during her pregnancy and for her delivery, she would not have gone through the BP Human Resources.
I'm not arguing that she was an employee (or as Human Resources said, a paid employee). Just that that was her thought process to go to them when she was denied help by someone high up in the institution.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm not arguing that she was an employee (or as Human Resources said, a paid employee). Just that that was her thought process to go to them when she was denied help by someone high up in the institution.
Again, I understand. She was depressed and sometimes depressed people can't problem solve. Perhaps there is some truth to her complaints and the palace should ensure that HR people have proper training on how to handle mental health concerns that anyone brings them.

However, I feel that their fixation on mistakes made by palace staff, who are human, is an attempt to avoid responsibility. Meghan talks about losing her keys, her passport, etc. - i can understand that those policies left her vulnerable. I can also understand why she felt trapped when staff was discouraging from going out (even if they did it with good intentions).

Even if the staff could have handled it better, so could Harry - and to some extent Meghan. Why weren't they communicating, why didn't he notice, etc. This apparently went on for weeks. The staff probably only spent a few minutes with her a day. Her husband, presumably, saw her more often and knew her better.

Harry should have been looking out for her as she was adjusting to her new family and role. He didn't. Yet, he has taken no responsibility and instead has allowed Meghan and others to blame nameless staff who can't adequately defend themselves.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Yes, it is the equivalent of when people say "Mistakes were made", instead of apologizing and admitting guilt. It shows a lack of sincerity and understanding. Not a good look.
The entire interview was 100% focused on drama, shocking statements and doing as much damage as possible, while holding themselves completely blameless and absolute victims of the evil racist BRF. They quite literally could care less what this does to the BRF, they only care that they get sympathy and turn public opinion for them and against the BRF.

There is a lot of manure to pick through with the pile that was dumped by the Sussex’s and the BRF deserves the right to pick through it as they see fit. As much as Meghan and Harry want the public to believe their version of the truth, there is a family and staff which also has a truth which they cannot air in public. I am sure Harry and his wife will be dealt with in the manner they deserve, but privately.

T
Old 03-09-2021, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:

She says specifically she wanted residential treatment.

Oprah: Did you ever think about going to a hospital? Or is that possible, that you can check yourself in some place?

Meghan: No, that’s what I was asking to do.

What I’m wondering is where was Harry in all this? He sees she's struggling. Why didn’t he pick up the phone and call someone in the family?
Old 03-09-2021, 09:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Nobody can really claim to know what another person is going through mentally. Even trained professionals can't instantly diagnose what a mental issue is without thoroughly talking it through with their patient to reach a good cause behind the mental issues.

The problem with the interview is that there was a lack of clarity in what Meghan said. She generalized what she felt and her process of trying to find assistance to solve the problem. We don't know enough details to form a clear and precise diagnosis. From experience, I can tell you though that pregnancy does send the whole body/mind/spirit into a kaleidoscope of ups and down and insides out and backwards just with the hormonal changes a woman experiences. The person to talk to first would, IMO, be her OB/GYN.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
Again, I understand. She was depressed and sometimes depressed people can't problem solve. Perhaps there is some truth to her complaints and the palace should ensure that HR people have proper training on how to handle mental health concerns that anyone brings them.

However, I feel that their fixation on mistakes made by palace staff, who are human, is an attempt to avoid responsibility. Meghan talks about losing her keys, her passport, etc. - i can understand that those policies left her vulnerable. I can also understand why she felt trapped when staff was discouraging from going out (even if they did it with good intentions).

Even if the staff could have handled it better, so could Harry - and to some extent Meghan. Why weren't they communicating, why didn't he notice, etc. This apparently went on for weeks. The staff probably only spent a few minutes with her a day. Her husband, presumably, saw her more often and knew her better.

Harry should have been looking out for her as she was adjusting to her new family and role. He didn't. Yet, he has taken no responsibility and instead has allowed Meghan and others to blame nameless staff who can't adequately defend themselves.
You said "She was depressed and sometimes depressed people can't problem solve". I am so glad that you brought this up. Sometimes depressed people have disordered or not logical thinking. Or inertia.

As for Harry's inaction----Harry said that he was suffering, too. That he was in a dark place.

From the interview:

Oprah: ‘I don’t want to live any more.’

Harry: Mm-hmm.

Oprah: And you didn’t know what to do?

Harry: I had no idea what to do. I wasn’t . . . I wasn’t prepared for that. I went . . . I went to a very dark place as well. But I . . . I wanted to be there for her and . . . 
Old 03-09-2021, 09:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I just can't perceive why Meghan would need to go to anybody at all to seek private, professional help. Does the palace actually arrange all the royal's personal medical visits? If she wanted to "go somewhere" as in an extended stay somewhere not local or out of the country, it stands to reason that the request would be denied. Logistics and security concerns would be involved. Going to a local professional, I don't believe she'd need "palace approval" at all.

Makes me believe that she wanted something specific that wasn't a good idea. Not because she was actually denied professional help.
Well Meghan couldn't just call up a therapist or a psychiatrist and book an appointment could she? Imagine the headlines if she was photographed heading into a therapist's office. So yes, it makes perfect sense that those things had to be arranged. It would've probably done her much good if she had sought therapy out of the country for 3 weeks- but again that too would've had to be arranged.

At any rate she sought help and was denied. That needs to to be looked into and if true needs to be corrected. Meghan was suicidal and survived the ordeal- another member may not be so lucky.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Without knowing what conversations were had and who Meghan spoke to, it’s hard to know if the institution really denied Meghan's request to seek treatment. For instance, were they okay with her seeking out-patient treatment, but just didn’t want her to do in-patient treatment? Was there a list of therapists they recommended and she wanted to go to someone else? These are a few of the questions that I wished Oprah had asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Well Meghan couldn't just call up a therapist or a psychiatrist and book an appointment could she? Imagine the headlines if she was photographed heading into a therapist's office.
Meghan wouldn’t need to go to a therapist’s office to seek treatment. The therapist could have come to Meghan.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:50 PM
Courtier

Firstly I want to applaude the Palace for their statement. Short, meaningful and (brutally) to the point. They could not do anything better when faced with this situation. Private family matters should be resolved in private.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Charles only has two sons. That said both son's children should be princes or princesses. If the Queen did it, for one of Charles's sons she should have done it for the other. I don't care about tradition or rules etc. This is the first biracial child in the family and that is another reason Archie should have HRH and be a prince. It looks as if the Queen favors one grandson's children over the other. And then to be told your baby would not have security. Does any realize how all looks? I see H&M's point.
William (and his family) being more important than Harry (and his family) is the basic rule of the monarchy. There is the heir (heir to the heir in this case) and then the rest of them. It doesn't mean Harry is not important or not loved, but of course William will be favoured over Harry, no matter what idea their parents had for them. Remember the stories of Queen Mother inviting William for a tea and not Harry?

Only one of them is the future King of England. By general rule William is more important to the monarchy. Archie's comparison is not George, Charlotte and Louis, it's the rest of the great-grandchildren: Isla, Savannah, Mia, Lena, August. None of them has a royal title. None of them has the official, royal protection.

No matter how brutal, outdated and whatever else we think of this, it's how things are done. It's monarchy. They can't pick and choose people, you're either born the heir or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Meghan said that she went to one of the "most senior palace officials'" and asked if she could go somewhere to get help and was denied because it was not a good look. Meghan also said that she went to the HR department and said plainly "I need help" and was denied. Such a response for all intents and purposes needs to be investigated- if what Meghan says turns out to be true then there needs to be alot of work done on revamping policies and procedures
for when a member of the royal family needs and is seeking help.
And quite a sensible question to ask ourselves is... where did she want to go? To some mental health establishment in the UK? Or one of those popular "spa" institutions for the rich and famous in the USA? Would she agree to see a local therapist in her own house, or was that not what she wanted?

We also know that Harry did not say anything about that to any of his family because he was ashamed. He said that himself. So literally no one from BRF, excluding Harry and Meghan, knew about how bad it was.

And the response from HR department was absolutely correct. Even though they were working royals, HR department is for solving matters concerning employees of royal offices, not the actual royals. So no, it does not surprise me that she didn't achieve anything there.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
You said "She was depressed and sometimes depressed people can't problem solve". I am so glad that you brought this up. Sometimes depressed people have disordered or not logical thinking. Or inertia.

As for Harry's inaction----Harry said that he was suffering, too. That he was in a dark place.

From the interview:

Oprah: ‘I don’t want to live any more.’

Harry: Mm-hmm.

Oprah: And you didn’t know what to do?

Harry: I had no idea what to do. I wasn’t . . . I wasn’t prepared for that. I went . . . I went to a very dark place as well. But I . . . I wanted to be there for her and . . . 
I see what you are saying - Harry did not have the skills to handle Meghan's issues at that point. But he also admitted he saw Meghan struggle but didn't want to go to his family. There is nothing anyone can do unless the person is willing to ask for help. Even sick people have to take responsibility for their treatment (taking medication, going to counseling). We have to make allowances for people who are suffering but we also have to insist that they be responsible for taking the first step.

It doesn't sound like either of them was at the breaking point where they couldn't function. It is easy to blame nameless staff, but there are people who manage with a fraction of the resources available to Harry and Meghan.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Royal Watcher View Post
I understand but that doesn't explain why she wouldn't go to her husband or why he didn't see that she needed help. Perhaps their marriage is not as good as they claim.
On the contrary Meghan said he saved her. Recall the night at the theater. He was the decisive one that saw how much she was suffering and decided that drastic actions needed to be raken.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
She says specifically she wanted residential treatment.

Oprah: Did you ever think about going to a hospital? Or is that possible, that you can check yourself in some place?

Meghan: No, that’s what I was asking to do.

What I’m wondering is where was Harry in all this? He sees she's struggling. Why didn’t he pick up the phone and call someone in the family?
Didn’t she say they attended an event that same evening as well?
Old 03-09-2021, 09:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Another thing I'm wondering about now while discussing mental health issues. I'm wondering if either one of them are currently receiving professional help to guide them through all these changes or were they instantly "cured" once they left the UK? That would have been a good question for Oprah to ask. What are they doing about their mental health issues today. Obviously that question wasn't on the list.