The Duke & Duchess of Sussex with Oprah III - Post-Interview, March 9th 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the things I've learned from Meghan and Harry telling the truth of what happened behind-the-scenes is to realize no matter who you are nor how successful monetarily or in terms of public stature, that we all have personal lives and challenges to deal with. Sometimes it can seem for those in high profile public life, that they are glamorous and have everything, and what a beautiful life they must lead. The reality is that we each have times in our lives where we may feel lonely or afraid, or let down, or unsure of what decisions to make. And sometimes, there isn't a strong support system readily available. Diana didn't have a lot of emotional support, despite her position and her friendships and being an aristocrat.

The difference for Meghan vs Diana is that she had her Mom and close friends to talk to, at least by phone, and she has a husband who dearly loves her. During this period, however, Meghan's Mom was thousands of miles away. Plus, Meghan had been told she couldn't just decide to have lunch with friends, something she was so used to doing in her former life. While calling her friends may have been possible, Meghan is according to her friends someone who cares about everyone else so much that she probably wasn't used to having this type of emotional burden to share. Also, Meghan seemingly felt guilty for even experiencing suicidal and depressed feelings, which were outside of her former existence of leading an independent, positive and upbeat lifestyle.

Thankfully, Meghan realized she needed to communicate her feelings to Harry instead of suffering in silence out of fear of burdening him. She deeply knew how much he had suffered from the grief of losing his mother at a young age, and did not want to add to his stress. However, M&H's experiences prove the importance of communicating openly, without fear of upsetting your partner in a marriage. That's the only way to be able to work through things together.

It is very easy to lose oneself though and to suffer in silence. It strikes me that Diana had the similar experience in that she actually threw herself down the stairs when she was pregnant. I think being pregnant with hormones raging and undergoing everything Meghan was experiencing: being reviled daily in the U.K. media; living in a new country and adapting to different cultural realities; having lost close contact with her father due to his betrayals; not feeling supported by the institution her husband was born into. All of this, after she had given up so much in her former life with enthusiasm and eagerness to make an important contribution to the royal firm. And add to that the sad feelings surrounding negative discussions of what the baby she was carrying might 'look like,' and that's enough to cause anyone to feel depressed and suicidal, when you are caught in it and don't see any path to resolution, nor any chance of things improving.

I've definitely experienced feelings of isolation and hopelessness and thoughts of suicide (once very deeply as a teenager, and more diffusely on a number of occasions as an adult, though not deeply enough as an adult to feel a strong urge to act on those feelings).

There have been some interesting discussions and insights over the past few days on several shows in Britain regarding M&H's interview with Oprah. These commentaries, particularly by women of color, are very worthwhile listening to and learning from:

Lorraine: 'I Wasn't Surprised at All by Meghan & Harry Experiencing Racism...'

This Morning: Were Harry & Meghan Sacrificed to Save Other Royals?

CNN commentary: Here's Why Meghan's Interview with Oprah Matters

Last edited:
I have no doubt that Meghan experienced stress from all the changes and it became worse through her pregnancy. But given her tendency to overblow things to give them a particular slant aimed at making the RF look more uncaring and discriminating towards her and Archie (the title thing, the brave martyr face of the lady who was so gracious towards this horrible Catherine), I have trouble believing that she aimed for an impartial account regarding the very people who are now accusing her of bullying. BTW, there were talks about parts of the interview having been reshot. If - and there is an IF - , I wonder if the part where the palace men and women literally didn't care if she lived or died, together with her unborn baby, were among them.

Last edited:
Yes, those iissues are clear and, in my opinion, settled.

In a republic like the United States, PPOs are restricted to:

1. The President (i.e. the Head of State), his/her spouse, and their underage children if any.

2. Former Presidents and their spouses.

It is baffling to me that some American posters are complaining about the lack of life-long PPOs in the UK for a great-grandson in collateral line of the Head of State, or, in the next reign, an adult grandson of the Head of State in collateral line.

Small nitpick: in the run-up to a presidential election, the major candidates (based largely on poll numbers) get protection for as long as they remain major candidates. This ends when they either lose the election, drop out of the race, or their polls drop so low for long enough that they're no longer considered major candidates. Threat level also plays a role. If they win the election, then of course they keep the protection until they assume the presidency, at which point they get the full presidential level of protection.

You could maybe make the argument that protecting the heir, the heir's heir, and the heir's heir's heir is the same idea as protecting all of those who might be the next president. A big difference is that in the US, we're talking about a period of 1-2 years maximum, not the entire life of a child who probably won't become head of state for another 50 years. And none of that would be a reason to protect anyone other than Charles, William, and George anyway.

I have no doubt that Meghan experienced stress from all the changes and it became worse through her pregnancy. But given her tendency to overblow things to give them a particular slant aimed at making the RF look more uncaring and discriminating towards her and Archie (the title thing, the brave martyr face of the lady who was so gracious towards this horrible Catherine), I have trouble believing that she aimed for an impartial account regarding the very people who are now accusing her of bullying. BTW, there were talks about parts of the interview being reshot. If - and there is an IF - , I wonder if the part where the palace men and women literally didn't care if she lived or died, together with her unborn baby, were among them.

They can’t reshoot the interview. It’s already aired. If they attempt to do a follow up interview, it will only makes things worse because these two will say anything to make themselves look like victims and will take zero accountability for their own actions.

Let's be clear any assessment with regards security is taken by the Met police, and the Home Office based on RISK and nothing else.
As a baby he would be in the main with his parents, what could happen in 10 or 15 years is anybody's guess.
It was their choice to leave the country also their roles as working royals, to be financially independent.
If they choose to spend their money on a big house rather than the family security that is their choice.

They can’t reshoot the interview. It’s already aired. If they attempt to do a follow up interview, it will only makes things worse because these two will say anything to make themselves look like victims and will take zero accountability for their own actions.

Looks I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean reshooting the interview now. I meant "having been reshot". I saw some claims that in the wake of the decision to strip the couple of their patronages, parts of the interview would be reshoot THEN. At the time. Before it was aired. Being totally ignorant about the specifics of the trade, I could as easily believe it was possible as I could believe it was totally impossible and too late.

Sorry about not being clear. Without at least two cups of coffee, I am bad at making myself clear even in my own language, let alone English... and this far, I've only had one.

Looks I didn't make myself clear. I didn't mean reshooting the interview now. I meant "having been reshot". I saw some claims that in the wake of the decision to strip the couple of their patronages, parts of the interview would be reshoot THEN. At the time. Before it was aired.

Sorry about not being clear. Without at least two cups of coffee, I am bad at making myself clear even in my own language, let alone English... and this far, I've only had one.
Oh, I so understand that, I'm not a human without coffee :lol:

From what I understand, the additional part they filmed after the announcement of the Sussexes losing their patronages was that short segment in their mansion with the chickens and dogs and talks about two weddings :whistling: But I may be wrong.

Oh, I so understand that, I'm not a human without coffee :lol:

From what I understand, the additional part they filmed after the announcement of the Sussexes losing their patronages was that short segment in their mansion with the chickens and dogs and talks about two weddings :whistling: But I may be wrong.
Thank you. I suppose it might have worked the other way round, then: getting a whiff of what Harry and Meghan were going to say about the "men in grey", the people accusing her of bullying has decided to come forward, also motivated by the fact that they weren't going to take the witness stand, after all.
IMO, it was inevitable to see them accused in some way. Harry and Meghan do need some golden sprinkle of royalty to promote their brand, so their relationship with the RF needs not to go too sour. Looking at it more objectively, a racist remark even they disagree on and "oh, Kate made ME cry" aren't this unforgivable as to force the RF to cut them off forever. There is still a chance for them to go back to UK from time to time to reaffirm how royal they are. But these two things don't cut a dramatic enough reason for making their lives unbearable. Now, endangering Meghan's very life definitely qualifies, so I find it totally believable and in tune with everything else they have done this far that they might have embellished for more drama. Usually, people tend to stay away from mental health problems, especially if they aren't included in their duties. This wasn't a "put a cold cloth on this leg and if it doesn't work, you can always go to the doctor" type of situation. It had the potential to go very bad and then the person overstepping their authority would have been rightly blamed.

Last edited:
The Times is hinting that in addition to ITV being slammed with 40K+ complaints about Piers dismissing Meghan's mental health, but apparently Meghan issued a formal complaint. The network wanted Piers to make a public apology and he refused. ITV is known for their mental health campaign, so this was an awful look. They had to do something so it is not surprising they parted ways.

He was booted from USA TV. He is not respected here whatsoever. I would be surprised but I can see him joining that recently announced news network that was announced.

Daily Mail is reporting that Meghan issued a formal complaint. I remember that Piers was fired as Editor of the Mirror because he lied about the soldiers abuses in Iraq - that's how he ended up in the US. He was on X Factor which is the only time I liked him. Then he was on CNN. I think he got fired there because of gun controversy? I'm not sure. Then he turned up back on British TV.

There's no getting rid of Piers - he'll turn up again.

Piers Morgan's always offending someone or other. He's been doing it for 25 years - he wrote a newspaper headline referencing the Second World War before the England v Germany Euro 1996 semi-final. He's one of those TV personalities whose thing/public persona is to be controversial.

Daily Mail is reporting that Meghan issued a formal complaint. I remember that Piers was fired as Editor of the Mirror because he lied about the soldiers abuses in Iraq - that's how he ended up in the US. He was on X Factor which is the only time I liked him. Then he was on CNN. I think he got fired there because of gun controversy? I'm not sure. Then he turned up back on British TV.

There's no getting rid of Piers - he'll turn up again.

Sorry to correct you, Piers was a judge on Britain’s got talent between series 1 and 4 (2007-2010). He was also a judge on America’s got talent.

I’m actually very divided on this. Whilst I strongly dislike his interview style, his views and the way he walked off stage but at the same time I believed in freedom of speech especially on a commercial tv (unlike BBC that has to be impartial).

Watch this video (I have posted earlier) on what I meant. The YouTuber explained it much better than I do :lol: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ys5m3Fj7E

Piers Morgan is definitely no Andrew Neil who interview straight to the point regardless the guest is on the left or right. And as I said earlier, if you want a clear and robust interview on Harry and Meghan, Andrew Neil would be the perfect choice, because he would not let guests fluff around and making points that are not backed up. He is also very knowledgeable and expects his guests to be the same. He would certainly grill Harry and Meghan on getting every details correct and clear

I agree with you that Piers is probably not going to go away, given that he somehow has the personality of being controversial (which lead to good ratings on GMB, as mentioned in that video above). I personally think Michael Portillo would be great in replacing Piers Morgan due to his experience in politics, presenting and has a great personality. The other possibility could be Jeremy Clarkson :lol:

Last edited:
Although I'm no fan of Meghan, I find it difficult not to blame Harry for most of these issues which arose prior to their move to North America - he knew the issues that Meghan would face by marrying into the royal family. He should have ensured that she was prepared for these. He should have been sensitive enough to notice her struggles during her pregnancy, and arranged appropriate help for her.
I just cannot believe that he holds so little sway in the family and the institution - that by being more proactive and in-charge of the situation, he could have made things so much easier for everyone.

Interesting stuff on ITV This Morning.

Meghan's friend Janina was on commenting on the interview. She all but said the Sussexes welcome both investigations because they know what happen and want the truth to come out.

One tidbit was that one of the people in the bullying allegation was "fired for gross misconduct" according to their friend. Camilla Tominey later countered that "it was denied and that 'the person was considering to sue' though since no names was mentioned I wonder how that person knew who Meghan was referring too.

Clearly something happened. "Recollection may vary" indeed.

Interesting stuff on ITV This Morning.

Meghan's friend Janina was on commenting on the interview. She all but said the Sussexes welcome both investigations because they know what happen and want the truth to come out.

One tidbit was that one of the people in the bullying allegation was "fired for gross misconduct" according to their friend. Camilla Tominey later countered that "it was denied and that 'the person was considering to sue' though since no names was mentioned I wonder how that person knew who Meghan was referring too.

Clearly something happened. "Recollection may vary" indeed.

If it's indeed true, I wonder how it will reflect on them. Or whether this would be construed as an attempt by the Palace to discredit them.
I'm bracing myself for all the Prince Andrew comments on social media. Hehe.

Going to a wellness spa isn't something new to the royal family. I believe that if Meghan had approached Charles and Camilla and mentioned that she needed to "go away" for her own mental health because so many things were piling up on her and with the hormonal changes, causing thoughts that scared her, I think she would have found two people that would not only understand but do all in their power to help out.

Camilla is known to frequent a wonderful wellness spa in India and most recently in November of 2019, treated Charles to a retreat there for his birthday. That's one thing that I believe Meghan and Charles have in common. They both believe in and see the benefits of alternate therapies. But, as both Harry and Meghan stated, they didn't want to go to family. I wish they had.

Going to HR was a roadblock as those people in HR actually didn't have the power or the authority to help her out. They're there for paid employees and without being a paid employee, Meghan wasn't covered under their health care plan. This makes sense. Camilla, however, probably could have gotten Meghan in with a phone call. If Meghan had asked. Then again, when one is in the throes of a severe mental crisis, clear thought is not something that is present most of the time.

This is the spa Charles and Camilla frequented. ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...istic-health-retreat-India-71st-birthday.html

If Harry and Meghan want to turn the Windsors into the Royal Jerry Springer Show that’s on them. The Queen is so far above that he said she said level it’s not even funny and she and the senior Royals will never stoop to the level Harry and really Meghan are most likely desperately wanting.

Meghan and Harry knew good and well that there would only be a brief statement of some kind from BP. They knew that they could pretty much say whatever they wanted, and no one would refute them point by point. They were very careful to speak in a lot of generalities rather than naming names most of the time. Unless it was to whine about family and throw them under the bus.

The more I think about it- nice touch for Meghan to say she has evidence. It sounds really good. Funny how she didn’t produce any of it. If this interview had been conducted by a serious news source there would be (though why any would care about the Sussexes is beyond me).

It makes me wonder if there is any- or if there is- if it’s truly that bad. I wouldn’t put it past Meghan to save stuff, but I’m certainly not taking her word that it exists. Meghan’s word doesn’t mean anything to me.

Yes, those iissues are clear and, in my opinion, settled.

In a republic like the United States, PPOs are restricted to:

1. The President (i.e. the Head of State), his/her spouse, and their underage children if any.

2. Former Presidents and their spouses.

It is baffling to me that some American posters are complaining about the lack of life-long PPOs in the UK for a great-grandson in collateral line of the Head of State, or, in the next reign, an adult grandson of the Head of State in collateral line.

I am not complaining, but I bet you, that if you ask any of those posters if they want to pay for the security with their tax dollars, they would change their mind real quick, they think it should be on the UK to pay,

If it's indeed true, I wonder how it will reflect on them. Or whether this would be construed as an attempt by the Palace to discredit them.
I'm bracing myself for all the Prince Andrew comments on social media. Hehe.

It’s all vague- just like everything from the Sussexes. So easy to just toss out there.

Meghan’s friend- now there is a good source for accurate, unbiased information. I’ll be sure to take her word for things based on nothing.

Once the Firm starts that though, it's a slippery slope and can only negatively affect the prestige and standing of the monarchy in my opinion. This would simply open it up to more criticism. Standing silent and firm is the way to go. I think the statement was at the same time telling but dignified. I would have left out the "much loved family members" bit at the end, but that's just me!

I think it was important to say they’re still loved. I have no doubt they (or at least Harry and Archie for sure) are.

I’ve been thinking - it’s also not like they’re saying they’re well LIKED members of the family- regarding only Harry and Meghan of course.

It makes me wonder if there is any- or if there is- if it’s truly that bad. I wouldn’t put it past Meghan to save stuff, but I’m certainly not taking her word that it exists. Meghan’s word doesn’t mean anything to me.

Well I guess through the investigation they will learn this or not. I think it wouldn't be wise to claim you have things you don't, especially when you know after such an public interview that people will want to see it.

So I don't doubt it to be honest. You learn in business to always have a paper trail. All that said, there are two investigations going on. No matter what the truth will come out eventually.

It’s all vague- just like everything from the Sussexes. So easy to just toss out there.

Meghan’s friend- now there is a good source for accurate, unbiased information. I’ll be sure to take her word for things based on nothing.

No no, I understand why they would send out a message that says we fear nothing. That'd hardly be the reality, however. It's all a front. If it was me and even if I were being truthful, an investigation would scare the living daylights out of me because so much of it is a matter of perception. N generally, an employee is almost always the bullied one. They get the sympathy votes.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that the mail about Meghan's worrying behaviour with the staff was sent way, way before the interview.

N generally, an employee is almost always the bullied one.

Yes, I've always wondered what we're supposed to believe the staff might have done to Meghan other than tell her "No." Yell at her? I doubt it. Call her names? Again, doubt it - at least to her face. Allow little flickers of annoyance to occasionally peek out from beneath their veneer of politeness and civility? Probably, but that's what happens when your staff hates you.

Yes, I've always wondered what we're supposed to believe the staff might have done to Meghan other than tell her "No." Yell at her? I doubt it. Call her names? Again, doubt it - at least to her face. Allow little flickers of annoyance to occasionally peek out from beneath their veneer of politeness and civility? Probably, but that's what happens when your staff hates you.

The Palace could be accused of weaponzing their staff against H & M. I have come across accusations of them speaking through her father. N besides all that, it's a private investigation. A lot of people won't buy it.

Piers Morgan's always offending someone or other. He's been doing it for 25 years - he wrote a newspaper headline referencing the Second World War before the England v Germany Euro 1996 semi-final. He's one of those TV personalities whose thing/public persona is to be controversial.

I remember Ian Hislop on HIGNY said Piers got a photographer to follow his family around for a couple of days, including hiding in the bushes until Ian went over there and just asked what shot they needed to go away and he gave it to them.

Next day there was a headline: Ian Grins Whilst Children Die

He does it to everyone and has never gone away for long because he generates ratings or clicks. There are already rumours of a couple of new jobs.

No no, I understand why they would send out a message that says we fear nothing. That'd hardly be the reality, however. It's all a front. If it was me and even if I were being truthful, an investigation would scare the living daylights out of me because so much of it is a matter of perception. N generally, an employee is almost always the bullied one. They get the sympathy votes.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that the mail about Meghan's worrying behaviour with the staff was sent way, way before the interview.

Agreed.

I’m honestly just annoyed. I’m tired of reading- “Meghan says....” as if that proves anything. She’s thrown a lot of nasty allegations and all there is, is her word. Note: she said she has evidence. She didn’t produce any. So....maybe so/maybe not. The palace won’t publicly ask for it.

She and Harry had some clear agendas with that interview- and that colors everything they said in my mind. That and so many posters are trying to make what they said make sense....and can’t.

I agree- the employee usually is the bullied one. It’s generally difficult to bully your boss and stay employed.

Last edited:
Agreed.

I’m honestly just annoyed. I’m tired of reading- “Meghan says....” as if that proves anything.

She and Harry had some clear agendas with that interview- and that colors everything they said in my mind. That and so many posters are trying to make what they said make sense....and can’t.

I agree- the employee usually is the bullied one. It’s generally difficult to bully your boss and stay employed.

I really don't know why her words are being taken at 100% face value by so many where there are provable exaggerations, out of context issues and down right untruths that are googleable by news organisations. Things like the title issue for example and many aren't bringing up the fact that Harry and Meghan had wildly different takes on the dark skin claim. It's not about believing the victim, it's about fact checking.

And yet anyone who thinks that they can have been extremely unhappy and right to leave if they felt that way and still have bullied staff is obviously wrong because the staff are simply palace stooges.

I do believe they felt potentially suicidal and trapped and royal life did not suit her but there's a difference between that and most of what they came out with.

How many 36 year olds get sympathy when they complain that their dad cut them off? Especially when they literally just bought a mansion.

I like the phrase a poster used yesterday "Meghan only said one sentence out of a whole paragraph" when talking about everything.

Well I guess through the investigation they will learn this or not. I think it wouldn't be wise to claim you have things you don't, especially when you know after such an public interview that people will want to see it.

So I don't doubt it to be honest. You learn in business to always have a paper trail. All that said, there are two investigations going on. No matter what the truth will come out eventually.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understood it from watching the This Morning interview, Meghan's friend Janina said that there are e-mails and texts that prove that Meghan told her what was happening at the palace at the time. While those would be interesting to see, it's not e-mails and texts between Meghan/ Harry & the BRF or staff that prove allegations of racism or help denied while suicidal.

The Palace could be accused of weaponzing their staff against H & M. I have come across accusations of them speaking through her father. N besides all that, it's a private investigation. A lot of people won't buy it.

Really? Good God. If I were going to use someone as a mouthpiece, I wouldn't pick Thomas Markle! ?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understood it from watching the This Morning interview, Meghan's friend Janina said that there are e-mails and texts that prove that Meghan told her what was happening at the palace at the time. While those would be interesting to see, it's not e-mails and texts between Meghan/ Harry & the BRF or staff that prove allegations of racism or help denied while suicidal.

I think she was specifically referencing Meghan and Harry asking for help and the "gross misconduct" with a former aid.

Honestly at this point it doesn't matter who you believe -- Sussexes or Royals. I personally don't think any side is all right or wrong. Things will be investigated. Any proof will be presented and whatever conclusion comes from it will be dealt with.

That is where we are now.

What interest me most now is: What will H&M do?

Basically the ball is in their half of the field, so what happens now is up to them.

The BRF has responded by standing their ground and avoiding escalating the situation. So any further action regarding the BRF will be up to H&M.

So, will they press for a formal apology from the BRF, in regards to the way they feel they, and perhaps in particular Meghan has been treated by the BRF?
(Whether it's true or not is beside the point, it's what H&M will do.)

Do they expect a thorough and pretty much public review/overhaul of the BRF and in particular the court, including the senior courtiers? So that the "firm" is getting more aligned with what H&M see as the modern and best way to go?

Do they expect their current status to renegotiated? I.e. they will remain royals, but working solo, primarily in USA and with their own agenda. Just as they initially proposed.

Do they expect the British press, the tabloids in particular, to take a good look at itself and the unfair treatment (at least according to H&M) they got from the press. I.e. this interview will become a trigger for a major review of the UK press and perhaps to some extent segments of the British public.

Will they be satisfied with the stir, this interview has caused and focus on their future? (Predominantly in USA.)
If that's the case, what do they hope to do? Almost regardless any public appearance on talkshows and interview will for a foreseeable future touch their break from the BRF and the Oprah interview, because that's what makes them interesting.
Do they hope to become a kind of global champions on mental health issues, racism, and tabloid ethics?

No matter how I look at what path they may take, I see a lot of holes they can fall into!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom