"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am through with the 4 episodes and I think so far season 6 has been very good. I've warmed up to the actors, Diana is standing out of course.
I thought season 5 was a bit weak but this is spot on and very much on point, story wise. Yes Diana and Dodi appear as 'ghosts' but only in a dialogue with the person mourning her/him in that moment, what is perfectly fine. The things you wanted to say but did not have the time.
Looking forward to the rest of the season.

I just finished the first four episodes as well and I enjoyed them. I think they spent way too much time on the summer of 97. I didn't care for how they had introduced the Fayed's last season and thought they gave them too much weight, but, in this season I found Dodi to be a very sympathetic character and while Mohamed Fayed was eclectic and frustrating, his heartbreak over his son was gut-wrenching. I also didn't find the "ghost" scenes to be tacky or weird. In fact, in the throws of grief, it made perfect sense. It was often said that Charles and Diana were getting along quite well post-divorce and that he was devastated by her death. I think they did a good job portraying that. All in all, I rather enjoyed it, and found myself in tears in the last episode quite often. The series is no where near as good as it was in the beginning but still a good watch.

Just watched and found it fairely balanced. For much despair of many it's not an anti Charles and Camilla manifesto nor a Diana hagiography. It's good but the previous seasons were great.

Just watched and found it fairely balanced. For much despair of many it's not an anti Charles and Camilla manifesto nor a Diana hagiography. It's good but the previous seasons were great.

Like you I did surprise myself by enjoying it, I thought it was going to be a hatchet job but it wasn't.

I thought Imelda Staunton was particularly good.

Series 5 was not good. This is a definite improvement.

For now I have just watched series 6 episodes 1 and 2. I have avoided the series before, since they happened too long ago and I have no idea, what is fact or fiction.

So, what can I say after watching S06E01 and E02? I am just astonished - it is just about relationship stuff! Yeah, ok, they are rich, they can divorce and mingle with whom and how they want to, no financial issues are hindering them.

But the life of the Royals seems to be so useless... Who is doing the big nasty with whom? And this is all, what is driving them! Lucky - or very randy and jolly Royals...

For now I have just watched series 6 episodes 1 and 2. I have avoided the series before, since they happened too long ago and I have no idea, what is fact or fiction.

So, what can I say after watching S06E01 and E02? I am just astonished - it is just about relationship stuff! Yeah, ok, they are rich, they can divorce and mingle with whom and how they want to, no financial issues are hindering them.

But the life of the Royals seems to be so useless... Who is doing the big nasty with whom? And this is all, what is driving them! Lucky - or very randy and jolly Royals...

Or rather the media’s interest in them.

Or rather the media’s interest in them.

Yeah, of course you are right! We have here the Netflix outfit making up a story from what they were reading in other media outfits...

But I fear, in the end this story on Netflix will be the "truth" about what happened. These self declared "historians" tell us, what they think is the truth.

But history science is never ending! There is no ultimate truth! But until there is another series about Diana, we, the consumers, are somewhat forced, to hold the Netflix version as what really was going on.

I'm going to wait until the Christmas Holidays to watch this season,I can say I have mixed feelings!

I'm going to wait until the Christmas Holidays to watch this season,I can say I have mixed feelings!

I watched the first 4 with mixed feelings, but I was surprised. The bottom line is that I accept that we cannot know all the private conversations, all the nuances and the tones of voice.

I accepted it as a fictional story around certain facts. The problem as others have pointed out is that some will take it all as fact, I will be interested in your views once you have seen it.

We will never know the facts but the series sticks to what is kind of an 'accepted truth' by a vast majority of people. There is no fresh controversy about it, at least not in the first 4 episodes.

I watched the most recent 4 episodes, mainly due to being stuck at home unwell. It was the first I'd watched since season 3 and wow did it feel like the production values had gone down a lot . It all seem so rushed - whilst I had said previously I hope Diana's death didn't become all consuming for Season 6 I was gobsmacked they fitted the aftermath of it all into one episode. Tony Blair didn't even appear, seemingly even by telephone and the reason the Queen made a speech, lowered the flag (not even mentioned), and returned early and in public was because Diana's ghost appeared to her the day before.

IMO these last few episodes - contrasted with those of season 1 & 2 which I'd not long rewatched, really do seem pretty poor.

Don't forget that they didn't want to retread a lot of what The Queen originally did.

If you want the Blair/political angles, you probably have to watch that.

In light of the movie, I think Diana's ghost appearing to her in addition makes sense.

Did anyone else think Diana was rather an ambiguous character?
The series wasn't at all clear about her motivations, or even her desires?
The one clear fact was her adoration for her sons, and even then, I wonder how beneficial that was in the long term.

Don't forget that they didn't want to retread a lot of what The Queen originally did.

If you want the Blair/political angles, you probably have to watch that.

In light of the movie, I think Diana's ghost appearing to her in addition makes sense.

I do genuinely get that. I think I'd said something jokingly before about how well 'The Queen' covered the story they would almost be better putting a title screen up saying 'watch The Queen for the events that followed Diana's death' given how well the film portrayed them. I wasn't expecting it to be as much in depth as that film. But given its written and created by the same person who wrote that film it surprised me that there wasn't even one conversation shown between the Queen and the PM - especially given how much prominence those conversations were given in past series (I get this time the PM wasn't being played by a big name like Gillian Anderson or John Lithgow).

I guess it just highlighted quite clearly to me how little context and content each episode has in it about the events it is trying to portray. Obviously for the earlier seasons most people - well myself certainly - weren't around or certainly not as aware of what actually happened at the time so it didn't feel quite as "light" in those episodes, whereas with Diana's death many of us remember it and have heard and read so much after it that it becomes clearer how much isn't in the episode and series about it.

I do genuinely get that. I think I'd said something jokingly before about how well 'The Queen' covered the story they would almost be better putting a title screen up saying 'watch The Queen for the events that followed Diana's death' given how well the film portrayed them. I wasn't expecting it to be as much in depth as that film. But given its written and created by the same person who wrote that film it surprised me that there wasn't even one conversation shown between the Queen and the PM - especially given how much prominence those conversations were given in past series (I get this time the PM wasn't being played by a big name like Gillian Anderson or John Lithgow).

I guess it just highlighted quite clearly to me how little context and content each episode has in it about the events it is trying to portray. Obviously for the earlier seasons most people - well myself certainly - weren't around or certainly not as aware of what actually happened at the time so it didn't feel quite as "light" in those episodes, whereas with Diana's death many of us remember it and have heard and read so much after it that it becomes clearer how much isn't in the episode and series about it.

I would agree, the CROWN does not deliver in the outpouring of grief that the country experienced. It concentrated on the build up that to be honest none of us really know all the facts of. Then again they probably didn't want to do a duplicate of THE QUEEN>

The series wasn't at all clear about her motivations, or even her desires?
The one clear fact was her adoration for her sons, and even then, I wonder how beneficial that was in the long term.

If we take Diana, the real person, then she had no fall back position! She was working as a Kindergardener basically, before she was marrying rather young.

She had the kids and she had to fight even for them!

So, after the divorce she lost basically almost everything. Of course she was fighting and clinging on.

Life is sometimes really hard!

I thought the show was quite clear on Diana's motivations. She wanted love and attention. Sometimes, often really, to her detriment. I think she found that pure love and attention only with her boys.

If we take Diana, the real person, then she had no fall back position! She was working as a Kindergardener basically, before she was marrying rather young.

She had the kids and she had to fight even for them!

So, after the divorce she lost basically almost everything. Of course she was fighting and clinging on.

Life is sometimes really hard!
Not exactly. She had a trust fund, and an apartment paid for until she married. She wasn’t struggling financially prior to marriage. What do you mean by she had to fight for the children? She got to and did spend time with her sons. The BRF allowed her to stay in her KP apartment, she was allowed her own office, given a generous divorce settlement, she still had family and friends, but some of her issues were self inflicted. She wasn’t trapped in KP, she invited friends and lovers. Did she have struggles? Yes, but not in the way you put it

I accepted it as a fictional story around certain facts. The problem as others have pointed out is that some will take it all as fact

Yes that is a worry and sadly there are some who are indeed taking it as factual :previous:

I've just started with episode 5 where bad boy Harry is being introduced ;) so far I like it and I am now really into Dominic West as Prince Charles. I hated this choice in the beginning but his Charles' mannerisms have now become perfection.

I've just started with episode 5 where bad boy Harry is being introduced ;) so far I like it and I am now really into Dominic West as Prince Charles. I hated this choice in the beginning but his Charles' mannerisms have now become perfection.

He is excellent as Charles. I also think Imelda Staunton is very good as the Queen. There is a way she pouts her lips that is so like the late Queen.

I'm also enjoying Dominic West as Charles, even if he is a little too handsome, but I think he captures his sensitivity, temper, charm and mannerisms quite well. The final series is certainly the weakest but I still enjoyed it immensely. Princess Margaret's episode on her death was excellent. I thought the young actors did really well as W,H, and K. Although they never understood what to do with the Queen Mother which is just odd. She was one of the most popular members of the BRF and her death was monumental.

Last edited:
I'm also enjoying Dominic West as Charles, even if he is a little too handsome, but I think he captures his sensitivity, temper, charm and mannerisms quite well. The final series is certainly the weakest but I still enjoyed it immensely. Princess Margaret's episode on her death was excellent. I thought the young actors did really well as W,H, and K. Although they never understood what to do with the Queen Mother which is just odd. She was one of the most popular members of the BRF and her death was monumental.

I agree, I have found this series to be quite weak. I accept there is a great deal of fiction mixing with the fact but they have failed on some of the facts as well.
Lesley Manville was excellent.

I find this portrayal of Carole Middleton scary! And probably unfair.

They quickly by passed the Queen Mother, did not pick up on the closeness between Charles and her.

Hi! I've just started watching - until now only s06e05 "Willsmania" and I think, it was quite touching!

Without any spoiler: Especially the story line with William's grandpa, the vids and the chess game was very moving!

Has it really happened? Well... It is good entertaiment for sure!

Prince William & Kate Middleton - THE CROWN

The Royal Family learn of the Death of Diana

The Story Of Charles And Diana

Charles and Diana (+Camilla) - The Story So Far

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom