The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #901  
Old 11-24-2020, 04:02 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Sadly the couple were not well suited so their marriage was not likely to survive even if neither had avoided their respective affairs. While I do agree that Diana was too young and neurotic to be involved in such a public and high profile marriage,

I'm not sure that "damaged" is the best way to describe Diana. However I must say that her parents' fractious divorce definitely took its toll upon the emotional well being of Sarah, Diana and Charles. Jane seemed to be the only child who was relatively unscathed by it.
I know it is a bit of a blunt wrod, but I think it does apply to Diana and to an extent to other Spencer children. as you say Charles and Sarah S were also wounded by the parents divorce and after events. And I think that although Diana did have therapy during her marriage, she seemed to end up if anything more paranoid and mixed up as she grew older, as witnessed by the events preceding the Panorama interview...
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #902  
Old 11-24-2020, 04:54 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
But based on fact. Actually my main grievance with the show is the blurring between fact and fiction, and the introduction of plot points and plot twists which are pure fiction into a set of factual circumstances. But the avalanche and the death in that avalanche of Charles' friend, Major Lindsay, are facts, and addressed as facts and not introduced or - as far as I can tell, anyway - changed or embellished to make them more entertaining.
Its really it seems a rather silly show.. Is it worthwhile upsetting the Lindsays who have protested for the sake of a bit of entertainment even if its based on fact? Mrs Lindsay doesn't want to see her husbands death and Charles reaction to it reenacted for a show, and I think she has a right to protest. In all the many documentaries I've seen on the Charles and Diana story I don't remember the thing about the avalanche being brought up, except in Diana Her True Story... so I don't think it is necessary to put it in here if it bothers the people involved who are NOT public figures.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #903  
Old 11-24-2020, 05:22 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The main gist of the whole Diana/Charles marriage fiasco really boils down to not Charles and Diana, themselves, but the idea of how a royal marriage should look on paper with all the neat little boxes checked off as "suitable".

I am not sure Diana "ticked all the boxes ". Probably, based on strict suitability criteria, there would be better candidates than Diana, including Lady Amanda Knatchbull, who unfortunately turned Charles down.



The point is, however, that "ticking all the boxes" worked very well in the past because "love" was not one of those said boxes, although some degree of personal compatibility was expected. It was perfectly acceptable, however, for a king and a queen to be a couple in public or in official events, but live separate private lives that might even include other lovers, as seen most recently in the arrangement between King Juan Carlos of Spain and Queen Sofia. Not only did Diana (rightfully so in my opinion) demand "exclusivity" (before cheating herself on her husband), but also the fact that she wasn't even compatible with Charles and unfortunately turned out to be somewhat mentally unstable was a big letdown on the suitability front and on the theory that she ticked all the boxes.
Reply With Quote
  #904  
Old 11-24-2020, 05:43 AM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,440
With the news that The Earl Spencer refused The Crown's production team to film at the Althorp Estate. I wonder who (Nobility, landowners, estate managers) is going to deny the filming crew next?

Here is a link showing the properties that were used to film locations/settings in The Crown:
https://www.visitengland.com/where-was-crown-filmed
Reply With Quote
  #905  
Old 11-24-2020, 06:17 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I am not sure Diana "ticked all the boxes ". Probably, based on strict suitability criteria, there would be better candidates than Diana, including Lady Amanda Knatchbull, who unfortunately turned Charles down.



The point is, however, that "ticking all the boxes" worked very well in the past because "love" was not one of those said boxes, although some degree of personal compatibility was expected. It was perfectly acceptable, however, for a king and a queen to be a couple in public or in official events, but live separate private lives that might even include other lovers, as seen most recently in the arrangement between King Juan Carlos of Spain and Queen Sofia. Not only did Diana (rightfully so in my opinion) demand "exclusivity" (before cheating herself on her husband), but also the fact that she wasn't even compatible with Charles and unfortunately turned out to be somewhat mentally unstable was a big letdown on the suitability front and on the theory that she ticked all the boxes.
I think that by the time Charles did get married, there weren't that many women left.. as Philip said to him. He was still expected to marry a virgin and that meant that he would probalby have to go for a much younger girl.. and that could lead to problems unless they were really really in love and had a lot in common. If Charles had let Diana go in 1980 - I think that he realised he had less and less options and that he might end up in his late 30s with a bride of 19 or so.. and I think he may have realized that while he was capable of falling in love with other women a large part of his heart still belonged to Camilla and with another woman it would be a case of starting off with a fondness and growing into a deeper love.. It did mean that if they hit problems, there might not be as much goodwill to sort them out, as they might not be that deeply in love.
Unfortunately, they weren't all that compatible.. Diana had convinced herself that she enjoyed a lot of the things that Charles liked.. and he didn't have enough time to realise that she was fooling herself.. Closer to the wedding, I think it was all beginning to dawn on him that Diana was not a calm easy going person but hihgtly strung and neurotic and that she didn't really share many of his interests and he became despondent and gloomy but then there was no way out....
Reply With Quote
  #906  
Old 11-24-2020, 07:38 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
I recall coming across an article that spoke of how the fact that Charles stood by Camilla and insisted that she be accepted helped William in his relationship with Kate. Iím sorry I canít find that article now, sigh.
Reply With Quote
  #907  
Old 11-24-2020, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 5,371
Both Charles and Diana had their delusions.
Charles believed that the media frenzy during their courtship would somehow disappear once they were married.
That never happened.

Diana believed that her marriage would be rock-solid, with no possibility of divorce, and that Charles would love and adore her always.
That never happened.

Neither was clear about expectations, which would have saved a great deal of trouble later.
Reply With Quote
  #908  
Old 11-24-2020, 08:19 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,469
They had William within a year of being married, as well. I know Charles needed an heir, but Diana was only 20, and he was only in his early 30s: there was hardly any rush. She barely had time to settle into her new role before becoming pregnant. And she had severe post-natal depression, which obviously was nobody's fault but did make things worse.


It's easy to be wise after the event, but they were such different people and had so little in common that they probably never had much chance. But it all seemed so romantic and exciting at the time: I was only 6 when they got married, but it was such a big deal that I remember the day very clearly.
Reply With Quote
  #909  
Old 11-24-2020, 08:26 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I recall coming across an article that spoke of how the fact that Charles stood by Camilla and insisted that she be accepted helped William in his relationship with Kate. Iím sorry I canít find that article now, sigh.
I dont really see how.. Kate's relationship with William was perfectly acceptable. She was middle class but well to do, had had a good education and she and Will took their relationship very slowly, and were able because social mores had changed, to spend a long time together, getting to know each other, and hopefully to be pretty sure that they were compatible enough to be in it for the long haul. Charles' relationship with Camilla was controversial because both of them had been married to other people, and his affair with her had been a factor in ending his marriage to Diana.. so Camilla wasn't all that acceptable....
Reply With Quote
  #910  
Old 11-24-2020, 08:30 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
They had William within a year of being married, as well. I know Charles needed an heir, but Diana was only 20, and he was only in his early 30s: there was hardly any rush. She barely had time to settle into her new role before becoming pregnant. And she had severe post-natal depression, which obviously was nobody's fault but did make things worse.


It's easy to be wise after the event, but they were such different people and had so little in common that they probably never had much chance. But it all seemed so romantic and exciting at the time: I was only 6 when they got married, but it was such a big deal that I remember the day very clearly.
True they did rather rush into having a family, and it added to Diana's stress at the time.. And She was a highly strung rather neurotic person who had this magic X factor that made her fascinating to people and the camera loved her so she was pursued by the media and adored in a way that was rare for the RF... It wore her down and scared her, and it affected Charles too because he had been used to be the one who was the centre of attention and he had never had the adoration that Diana elicited. But she and he had litlte in common and it began to show very soon after the wedding...
Re the point in another post about Charles and the adoration and media frenzy, in fact Diana said that she and Charles had asked their advisers when it would go away and was told at first, "it will settle down when you're married".. and then "It will settle down in a few years when you have a baby or 2"... but it didn't really settle down for a long long time.. and during her lifetime it never really went away..
Diana was scared of it, albeit I think she began to like it and get a bit addicted to it over time...
Reply With Quote
  #911  
Old 11-24-2020, 12:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I dont really see how.. Kate's relationship with William was perfectly acceptable. She was middle class but well to do, had had a good education and she and Will took their relationship very slowly, and were able because social mores had changed, to spend a long time together, getting to know each other, and hopefully to be pretty sure that they were compatible enough to be in it for the long haul. Charles' relationship with Camilla was controversial because both of them had been married to other people, and his affair with her had been a factor in ending his marriage to Diana.. so Camilla wasn't all that acceptable....
It had nothing to do with Kate being acceptable to other people or not ...Iím annoyed that I couldnít find the article, but I know that wasnít it. Iím pretty sure it was about their break up, and Williamís uncertainty about Kate suitability for him (I just Googled about their breakup, and reports indicate that William broke up with her and that he missed her almost immediately).
Reply With Quote
  #912  
Old 11-24-2020, 12:56 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
It had nothing to do with Kate being acceptable to other people or not ...I’m annoyed that I couldn’t find the article, but I know that wasn’t it. I’m pretty sure it was about their break up, and William’s uncertainty about Kate suitability for him (I just Googled about their breakup, and reports indicate that William broke up with her and that he missed her almost immediately).
If you could find the article... probably not possible. But i can't see how Charles sticking with Camilla has much to do with Will's relationship with Kate. Will got involved with her when he was fairly young and possibly he did begin to feel unsure if he wanted to marry... Previous to that, for senior royals, relationships were fairly short, (Unless they knew each other because they were distant cousins in the old days) and then once they were engaged it was on to marriage within a few months.. as soon as the wedding could be arranged...
William was bound to be a bit gun shy in getting married after his parents disastrous relationship, and he was lucky that by then it was acceptable for his bride not to be a virgin, and to have had some life before she married him, worked, if she wanted to, had other boyfriends, been to college.. He didn't have to decide on the basis of a short courtship if the woman was right for him... Even so Will clearly took no chances and split up with Kate for a bit.. but realised that she was the right one for him, after a short break up....
Charles's relationship with Camilla was rather different.. in that he met her at a time when he was still expected to marry a virgin.. and Camilla wasn't quite posh enough, plus she was then more in love with Andrew PB than with him.. and wanted to marry him. But its true that after they got back togehter in the 80s, they became a solid couple and charles did show determination in insisting that she was going to be his permanent companion..
Reply With Quote
  #913  
Old 11-24-2020, 03:21 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If you could find the article... probably not possible. But i can't see how Charles sticking with Camilla has much to do with Will's relationship with Kate. Will got involved with her when he was fairly young and possibly he did begin to feel unsure if he wanted to marry... Previous to that, for senior royals, relationships were fairly short, (Unless they knew each other because they were distant cousins in the old days) and then once they were engaged it was on to marriage within a few months.. as soon as the wedding could be arranged...
William was bound to be a bit gun shy in getting married after his parents disastrous relationship, and he was lucky that by then it was acceptable for his bride not to be a virgin, and to have had some life before she married him, worked, if she wanted to, had other boyfriends, been to college.. He didn't have to decide on the basis of a short courtship if the woman was right for him... Even so Will clearly took no chances and split up with Kate for a bit.. but realised that she was the right one for him, after a short break up....
Charles's relationship with Camilla was rather different.. in that he met her at a time when he was still expected to marry a virgin.. and Camilla wasn't quite posh enough, plus she was then more in love with Andrew PB than with him.. and wanted to marry him. But its true that after they got back togehter in the 80s, they became a solid couple and charles did show determination in insisting that she was going to be his permanent companion..
That's all true. I'll see if I can find the article......I've got nothing better to do, lol
Reply With Quote
  #914  
Old 11-25-2020, 04:32 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
That's all true. I'll see if I can find the article......I've got nothing better to do, lol
Dont put yourself out..but it honestly sounds to me like a bit of a reach to compare Wil's relationship with Kate to Charles' relationships. Charles grew up in a very different age.. and Will was a lot luckier in being able to spend more time with his girlfriend so that he had a better chance of knowing her well. Charles did have several girlfriends who were "marriageable" i.e. upper class whom he dated for some time.. but by the time he was dating Diana, there was more pressure on him to find the right bride and unfortunately he made a hasty decision. I think that the Press while they did pester Will and Kate, were a bit wary about doing so too much.. because they had been attacked for their behavior towards Diana. And Will had a long long relationship with Kate so by the time they married the press interest had gone off the boil to an extent. And in a way Will was ultra careful because he had HAD the sad example of his parents' marriage and I think the RF were also wary of interfering or pressuring him.. So although Kate wasn't upper class, they felt it was better for him to marry a girl he had known and been with for a long time, who wasn't necessarily the grandest in the land.. but that Will knew her well and loved her and wanted to marry her..
Reply With Quote
  #915  
Old 11-25-2020, 06:27 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Dont put yourself out..but it honestly sounds to me like a bit of a reach to compare Wil's relationship with Kate to Charles' relationships. Charles grew up in a very different age.. and Will was a lot luckier in being able to spend more time with his girlfriend so that he had a better chance of knowing her well. Charles did have several girlfriends who were "marriageable" i.e. upper class whom he dated for some time.. but by the time he was dating Diana, there was more pressure on him to find the right bride and unfortunately he made a hasty decision. I think that the Press while they did pester Will and Kate, were a bit wary about doing so too much.. because they had been attacked for their behavior towards Diana. And Will had a long long relationship with Kate so by the time they married the press interest had gone off the boil to an extent. And in a way Will was ultra careful because he had HAD the sad example of his parents' marriage and I think the RF were also wary of interfering or pressuring him.. So although Kate wasn't upper class, they felt it was better for him to marry a girl he had known and been with for a long time, who wasn't necessarily the grandest in the land.. but that Will knew her well and loved her and wanted to marry her..
There were quotes from William saying that his fatherís marriage to Camilla had helped him...thatís why I want to find the article..
Reply With Quote
  #916  
Old 11-25-2020, 07:19 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
There were quotes from William saying that his fatherís marriage to Camilla had helped him...thatís why I want to find the article..
I doubt if William was going to say anything like that..? DId he actually say to a reporter or anyone who would agree to be quoted by name, anything about his father's marriage?
Reply With Quote
  #917  
Old 11-25-2020, 07:26 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I doubt if William was going to say anything like that..? DId he actually say to a reporter or anyone who would agree to be quoted by name, anything about his father's marriage?
You can doubt it, I just remember what I saw. Honestly, I canít answer any more about it until I can find the article...
Reply With Quote
  #918  
Old 11-25-2020, 07:33 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
You can doubt it, I just remember what I saw. Honestly, I canít answer any more about it until I can find the article...
Please don't worry about looking for it.. but I was not doubting that what you said.. I just meant that its unlikely IMO that William would have said anything to a reporter about his father's marriage other than "we're very glad that he's getting married and we get on fine with Camilla". Press often attribute things to William who is extremely cautious with reporters - and also with his own friends...
Reply With Quote
  #919  
Old 11-25-2020, 07:43 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Please don't worry about looking for it.. but I was not doubting that what you said.. I just meant that its unlikely IMO that William would have said anything to a reporter about his father's marriage other than "we're very glad that he's getting married and we get on fine with Camilla". Press often attribute things to William who is extremely cautious with reporters - and also with his own friends...
Maybe not...youíre probably right, as that makes a lot of sense. Well, Iíd I find it Iíll post, because Iím stubborn, but I wonít go out of my way to look for it..
Reply With Quote
  #920  
Old 11-25-2020, 05:03 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Maybe not...youíre probably right, as that makes a lot of sense. Well, Iíd I find it Iíll post, because Iím stubborn, but I wonít go out of my way to look for it..
For example there was some stuff when Harry and Meg left, claiming that Will had said he was terribly worried about his brother, and couldn't "put his arms round him" etc. I cannot believe that William would say that to anyone in the press or to any of his friends unless he was quite quite sure that they wouldn't repeat it...
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, duke of edinburgh, queen elisabeth, the crown


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Victoria" (2016-Present) - ITV Drama Series on Queen Victoria An Ard Ri The Electronic Domain 174 11-21-2019 04:58 PM
"The Taking of Prince Harry" (2010) - Channel 4 Drama Film wbenson The Electronic Domain 17 10-26-2010 10:16 AM




Popular Tags
america archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baby names birth britain britannia british royal family camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation customs daisy duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style gemstones george vi gradenigo hello! henry viii highgrove hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace książ castle lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical monarchist movements monarchists mongolia mountbatten nara period pless politics portugal prince harry princess eugenie queen elizabeth ii queen louise royal ancestry royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon spanish royal family suthida taiwan thai royal family tradition united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×