"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just wish the producers of The Crown would make it more obvious that they're taking enormous liberties with the plotlines.

I've lost count of how many times people at work start talking about it by saying 'did you know', before launching into a summary of one of the show's untruths, which I then have to calmly debunk for them.

The best one so far is the co-worker who was stunned, amazed and disgusted to discover the Queen and Prince Philip were third cousins. I had to open her eyes a little to the reality of pre-WW2 royal marriages :)

Anyone else think that Jonny Lee Miller is a very odd choice for Sir John Major?

He's not who I would have thought of first, but if they do the hair and makeup well, and if he's on point with the voice and mannerisms, I could actually see it working. But time will tell :)

I just wish the producers of The Crown would make it more obvious that they're taking enormous liberties with the plotlines.

I've lost count of how many times people at work start talking about it by saying 'did you know', before launching into a summary of one of the show's untruths, which I then have to calmly debunk for them.

The best one so far is the co-worker who was stunned, amazed and disgusted to discover the Queen and Prince Philip were third cousins. I had to open her eyes a little to the reality of pre-WW2 royal marriages :)

Best not tell them they were also second cousins once removed, then. :lol:

He's not who I would have thought of first, but if they do the hair and makeup well, and if he's on point with the voice and mannerisms, I could actually see it working. But time will tell :)

He's a good actor, though, and if Gillian Anderson can pull off a prize-winning Thatcher, there's no reason JLM can't do something interesting with Major. Or... not. ;) Lots of room to interpret there.

And no sign of whomever they're getting for Tony Blair (who has to be in this season too) yet. Assuming not-Michael Sheen.

I just wonder what was wrong with the actor they already had/why have someone else play Major in the background for a season? It's not like the main cast.

Last edited:
:previous: I do too. But I would have liked to see a little truth hiding in the mire of fictitious scandal as Fergie is at a stage in her life where she is at peace with her past and like many people, remembers only the good times, the good friends and Diana, for a time, was one of them.

The Duchess of York only feature very briefly in the last season and was to the best of my knowledge a non speaking scene and was just in the background at Christmas at Sandrigham.

The Duchess of York only feature very briefly in the last season and was to the best of my knowledge a non speaking scene and was just in the background at Christmas at Sandrigham.

You’re right, and if you’d blinked, you would have missed it!

My granddaughter (she is 15) after watching 'The Crown' asked, "Did she really dress up like a tree in front of Prince Charles?" I could only sigh and said, "No...absolutely not."

I can only imagine fifty years from now they will be arguing if it was true or not.

053748563c42456be058b8a43bfe85b646-05-the-crown-3.rhorizontal.w700.jpg

Last edited:
Diana told Morton she met Charles in a ploughed field and was introduced to him by her sister Sarah (who was then dating him). The dressing like a tree seems fictional to me.

I have mixed feelings about Season 5.

It was announced that Olivia Williams would play Camilla Parker Bowles in series 5.

That makes more sense than Jonny Lee miller playing John Major!!

That makes more sense than Jonny Lee miller playing John Major!!

I couldn't agree more and nothing against Jonny Lee Miller's acting skills but I never have guessed he's be cast as Sir John Major.

I couldn't agree more and nothing against Jonny Lee Miller's acting skills but I never have guessed he's be cast as Sir John Major.

Casting these days is supposed to be age-blind and color-blind.
He'll probably do a decent job.

Will be interesting to see the first photos of Johnny as Sir John Major ;)

I'd actually forgotten all about Johnny Lee Miller and that he was married to Angelina Jolie in the 90's.

It's going to be very interesting to see whether Miller or West does the better job.

It's doubtful they're going to "explore" anything. They had plenty of opportunities in the first two seasons and ended up delicately pirouetting around the subject of any and all Philip's relationships with women, while at the same time ham-fistedly insisting as a teenager he was somehow responsible for the death of his sister, the latter all for the sake of making a cheap fictional parallel.

The Crown doesn't really do a lot with that much novelty or insight.

Natascha McElhone is an interesting cast choice for Penny Knatchbull and I also like her as an actress.

I was excited whether they would include this "storyline" or not.

More updates as to what we can look forward to

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...ce-Philip-Penny-Knatchbulls-relationship.html

I'm glad they are "exploring" Penny and Philip's relationship. I really do think it was more than just a platonic relationship.

Actually, I don't believe it went beyond an intimate, platonic relationship. Nor do I believe that the Queen's relationship with "Porchie" was anything more than an intimate, platonic relationship. It's very possible for people of the opposite sex to have best friends and share common interests with each other without that mischievous Eros getting into the works. ?

A lot was made of this by the press before - and the Knatchbulls themselves noted that Philip saw her as a daughter. Apparently Philip even commented that if her relationship failed with Norton - he had two sons she might have a look at.
Also have a look at how Charles, Edward, Andrew and Anne treat her - she is seen as an equal. She is considered a sibling. Romantic relationship I doubt it.

It can only be speculation presented as fact, which in my opinion is dangerous.

I agree as sadly many people watching will somehow believe its factual and I cannot believe the amount of times I've told people that the Crown is 'loosely' based on events and must be taken with a pinch of salt!

Back
Top Bottom