"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Crown seems to have generated quite a lot of negative reaction in the UK. It's gone from harmless historical fiction based loosely on real events to divisive melodrama.

It seems to have lost its way. A great pity because the first series in particular was a real tour de force. And the episode on Aberfan (series 2) was mezmerizing drama. A real standout.

Seasons 1 and 2 with Claire Foy (focusing on the young Elizabeth) were very well received, not least because, fiction aside, they generally showed the Queen in a very positive light. Furthermore, it felt like genuine period drama being about events that took place 70 years ago. After the time gap between Seasons 2 and 3, I think the series went downhill mostly. Moving closer to the present time and focusing on events many people have living memories of and still care deeply about (I mean, the War of the Wales specifically), I suppose it was inevitable that the writers/producers would be tempted to turn The Crown into a sensationalist soap opera.

Last edited:
This isn't the thread to discuss this of course, so sorry, mods.

No, I can't see a major political crisis looming in Britain in the foreseeable future. What I can see however is apathy and disinterest in the monarchy continuing through the years, especially among the under-forties and many migrants from republican backgrounds, until in the end, perhaps in another thirty or forty years, nobody from any age group really cares any more. That may be even worse that any devastating political crisis involving the monarchy.

(And an unpopular monarch in the future won't improve the above scenario.)

That's a possible scenario certainly. I tend to view it from the other side - that apathy & indifference is actually the monarchy's friend in the long term. A lot less interest might well be its saviour. There's simply too much media scrutiny sometimes. And that's not healthy for the people in the institution for one.

Last edited:
The Crown seems to have generated quite a lot of negative reaction in the UK. It's gone from harmless historical fiction based loosely on real events to divisive melodrama.

It seems to have lost its way. A great pity because the first series in particular was a real tour de force. And the episode on Aberfan (series 2) was mezmerizing drama. A real standout.

That's probably good news for the BRF; that the public doesn't go along with the portrayal in The Crown.

That's probably good news for the BRF; that the public doesn't go along with the portrayal in The Crown.

Yes I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm not sure what the balance of views are across the country.

It's not Netflix that is actually the culprit here. They're just the middle guy aka streaming service. They pick up programming and air it. i don't believe that the Sussex contract with Netfilx will have anything to do with the content of "The Crown" whatsoever. "The Crown" would be the same whether aired on Netflix, Hulu, BBC or any other company that offers programming.

Harry and Meghan's "deal" with Netflix is in regards to their own "brand" of programming they hope to stream to the public via Netflix. I think Harry would be wise enough to totally avoid any connection with his programming to the BRF. I just don't think he'd ever stoop that low.

Morgan is the primary culprit, but IMO Netflix isn't innocent. If they weren't aware before now, they are certainly well aware now that this show's fictionalizing of real people is problematic. They have received, I'm sure, tons of feedback demanding "warnings" before episodes air, and..........nothing. Now they react to fans' support of Camilla by wanting more fictionalization - this time of William and Harry? Which will garner huge ratings no matter how falsified it is? No, Netflix isn't just some middle man....

Yes I hadn't thought of it that way. I'm not sure what the balance of views are across the country.

The main problem and the most outrageous reactions are, as always, from the US.
Nothing new, we have been there before.

Morgan is the primary culprit, but IMO Netflix isn't innocent. If they weren't aware before now, they are certainly well aware now that this show's fictionalizing of real people is problematic. They have received, I'm sure, tons of feedback demanding "warnings" before episodes air, and..........nothing. Now they react to fans' support of Camilla by wanting more fictionalization - this time of William and Harry? Which will garner huge ratings no matter how falsified it is? No, Netflix isn't just some middle man....

They are there to make money, unless they think that they'll lose viewers, they're not going ot put on warnings or make any changes in the show...

Is there a possibility that Peter Morgan and The Crown's production team are mainly targeting at a young impressionable audience (under 30), who are more likely to be unfamiliar with The Royal Family or role of constitutional monarchy? There are also claims that The Crown is targeting at US audiences more so than the UK or even Commonwealth countries.

Speaking of Peter Morgan extending into Season 6, it would not surprised me if all of The Queen's grandchildren gets featured, particularly if the program delves into the 2000s. If that is the case, I hope Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Severn only appeared as infants or other non-speaking roles in the background.

Netflix will air anything that generates huge ratings.
If there's enough controversy, they will put up warnings, as they did for the episodes showing bulimia.
Otherwise, they will merely sit back and enjoy the numbers.

Netflix will air anything that generates huge ratings.
If there's enough controversy, they will put up warnings, as they did for the episodes showing bulimia.
Otherwise, they will merely sit back and enjoy the numbers.

It's a good thing then that I don't get it and that I've never watched a minute of Netflix.

This is a fantastic article....I am worried about Charles. Despite my loathing for my fellow Americans’ attitude towards him, I know that it’s irrelevant. However, it’s not irrelevant for the British people. The only perhaps mitigating factor is that the people most likely to believe this garbage and hate Charles are ones who already don’t like him.

Simon Jenkins, columnist for the Guardian:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/26/world/europe/Crown-Royals-Fact-Fiction.html

I don't think people "hate" Charles, but some don't approve of some things he did.

Last edited:
I’m constantly reminded now why I love Hugo Vickers. My parents are watching this ****show as I speak; I only hope that my reminders that this is twisted fiction got through.

The article is very much worth reading...

Prince Philip knocks at the door and Diana – portrayed to great effect in the series by Emma Corrin – tells him she is in a 'dark, loveless cave' and that she wants to 'break away'.

Yet the response from her father-in-law is menacing; he warns her that it won't end well if she does any such thing.

Diana replies: 'I hope that isn't a threat, Sir.'

Who can be in any doubt that this fictional conversation is a thinly veiled and chilling reference to Diana's impending death.

It supports the scarcely credible rumours, still fuelled by the internet, that Diana's fatal car crash in a tunnel in Paris in 1997 was a murderous 'hit' ordered by Prince Philip and designed to look like an accident.

It's hard to imagine a more hurtful allegation than painting Philip as a mafioso bent on bumping off a fragile daughter-in-law.

The series ends in 1990 with the Royal Family heading for Sandringham for Christmas in a convoy of Rolls-Royces.

The customary dead game birds are hanging up, presumably to stress to the viewers what a brutal bunch the family is.

And so follows the most outrageous calumny of all, Philip's thinly veiled threat to Diana.

Why does this matter? It matters because this country's relationship between Government and Monarchy has always been a delicate balance.

It matters because the reputation of the future King ought not to be sealed in the mind of the average Netflix viewer as a twisted, warped and bitter individual.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...GO-VICKERS-Prince-Philip-deserves-better.html

Seasons 1 and 2 with Claire Foy (focusing on the young Elizabeth) were very well received, not least because, fiction aside, they generally showed the Queen in a very positive light. Furthermore, it felt like genuine period drama being about events that took place 70 years ago. After the time gap between Seasons 2 and 3, I think the series went downhill mostly. Moving closer to the present time and focusing on events many people have living memories of and still care deeply about (I mean, the War of the Wales specifically), I suppose it was inevitable that the writers/producers would be tempted to turn The Crown into a sensationalist soap opera.

The first two and latest two seasons could be two different shows, and not just because of the time jump and change in actors. The first two seasons were still highly fictionalized, but I think overall it was a positive portrayal of the Queen and her transition from a young woman with the weight of the world unexpectedly thrust onto her shoulders into a capable and strong monarch.

The latest two seasons feel like a soap opera, and are opening some still very-real wounds that people have around the Wales’s marriage. I also don’t think that the Queen is portrayed in a particularly positive light and I think she’s almost at times become a side character to members of her family with more “interesting” stories (Margaret last season, Charles and Diana this season). I’m watching with my parents and I’m having to constantly remind them that most of it is fictionalized or embellished.

Cultural Secretary Intervenes on The Crown & Calling for Warnings/Disclaimers

The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary, Oliver Dowden has told The Mail on Sunday that there should be a disclaimer (or like health warning) in the beginning of each episode stating that there are fictional scenes

Oliver Dowden last night demanded that Netflix make clear The Crown is 'fiction'.

In a dramatic intervention, the Culture Secretary added his voice to mounting concern that fabricated scenes in the drama series were so damaging to the Royal Family that viewers should be warned at the start of each episode that it was not 'fact'.

'It's a beautifully produced work of fiction, so as with other TV productions, Netflix should be very clear at the beginning it is just that,' he told The Mail on Sunday.

'Without this, I fear a generation of viewers who did not live through these events may mistake fiction for fact.'

Mr Dowden is expected to write to the streaming giant to formally request that it adds what others have called a 'health warning' at the start of each episode.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...demands-Netflix-make-clear-Crown-fiction.html

Sky news and ITV news have picked this up
https://news.sky.com/story/the-crow...lix-to-affirm-the-show-is-ficticious-12145719
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-28...take-fiction-for-fact-culture-secretary-fears

Last edited:
The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary, Oliver Dowden has told The Mail on Sunday that there should be a disclaimer (or like health warning) in the beginning of each episode stating that there are fictional scenes

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...demands-Netflix-make-clear-Crown-fiction.html

Sky news and ITV news have picked this up
https://news.sky.com/story/the-crow...lix-to-affirm-the-show-is-ficticious-12145719
https://www.itv.com/news/2020-11-28...take-fiction-for-fact-culture-secretary-fears

There was a recent DM article expanding on this subject, how many historians, etc..think there needs to be a warning prior to episodes airing. I fear that Netflix doesn’t give a hoot - and I don’t expect any changes. I AM encouraged that so many are speaking out, defending the BRF when they can’t themselves.

I AM encouraged that so many are speaking out, defending the BRF when they can’t themselves.

It's my experience that people believe what they want to believe, and disregard any facts that contradict that. ;)

It's my experience that people believe what they want to believe, and disregard any facts that contradict that. ;)

Exactly
And "the Crown" is just giving that : an alternative, binary universe with a vilain and a victim, with no subtility whatsoever. A dangerous simplification game, easy to understand and digest.
But Life, the real one, isn't black nor white. And we all know that the truth is always in the grey zone. But of course it demands a touch of critical spirit and contextual curiosity. We can all agree that the vast majority of the viewers of "the Crown" will not bother to overtake what Netflix is giving them : a good ol' drama.

I agree. In many ways, this makes me think of “confirmation bias”.

Confirmation Bias is the tendency to look for information that supports, rather than rejects, one’s preconceptions, typically by interpreting evidence to confirm existing beliefs while rejecting or ignoring any conflicting data (American Psychological Association).

I don't see why Netflix would even bother putting in a disclaimer. If you cannot understand that this is a show BASED on events and real life people and not a documentary, you do not live in the real world, to be very frank.

Secondly, they hardly made the Diana/Charles storyline up did they? The material was given by Diana and Charles themselves! The showrunners didn't have to crack their heads here to come up with a story. It's all there. It's a fact that they fought against one another for public favor and used the media to gain it.

So now being all boo-hoo? Grow up man, the 80's and 90's were an absolute mess for them. Peter Morgan is only using what's right in front of him and turned it into a drama. Will we make an equal fuss when season 6 show how Charles gained favor back after showing the world how devoted he was to his son? Doubt it.

Last edited:
I don't see why Netflix would even bother putting in a disclaimer. If you cannot understand that this is a show BASED on events and real life people and not a documentary, you do not live in the real world, to be very frank.

Secondly, they hardly made the Diana/Charles storyline up did they? The material was given by Diana and Charles themselves! The showrunners didn't have to crack their heads here to come up with a story. It's all there. It's a fact that they fought against one another for public favor and used the media to gain it.

So now being all boo-hoo? Grow up man, the 80's and 90's were an absolute mess for them. Peter Morgan is only using what's right in front of him and turned it into a drama. Will we make an equal fuss when season 6 show how Charles gained favor back after showing the world how devoted he was to his son? Doubt it.
where did he "get favour back"? Charles' approval figures are relatively low for the future kng.. He has tried for years to work hard at his job and since Di's death, to take care of the boys....

Very often when real peoples' lives are dramatized, there is disclaimer saying "based on real events" and "some scenes have been fictionalized" or something like that. I suppose it's more of a legal disclaimer, to prevent lawsuits, and the BRF aren't likely to sue. I doubt that Peter Morgan wants to cast any doubt on his version of history, however. Are there people who cannot distinguish fact from fiction? Absolutely. Would a disclaimer reverse that? Not for most.

I didn’t want to respond because frankly you’re incredibly rude, but...

Peter Morgan didn’t make up the War of the Wales, but he has clearly invented events and, in some cases, twisted things to make Charles the villain and Diana the innocent lamb led to slaughter. That much is obvious.

Last edited:

Peter Morgan didn’t make up the War of the Wales, but he has clearly invented events and, in some cases, twisted things to make Charles the villain and Diana the innocent lamb led to slaughter. That much is obvious.

I didn't see an innocent lamb. I think it showed Diana as selfish, self-centered, immature, impulsive, attention-seeking, unfaithful, and self-destructive. Just because they left out her crueler moments (like apparently telling Charles he would never be king) and kept or invented some for her husband — who looked equally bad and tortured — does not mean Diana came off flawless.

Perhaps raging against Charles' supposed villainy is just more confirmation bias.

So she wasn't a 19 year old girl, paired up with a nearly thirty year old and let's make a life out of it? The disparity in life experience is huge and she was set up to lose from the very beginning. If that isn't cruel, what is? They're both products of the environment they were raised in and I feel sympathy for Charles, but he did what he did and so did she. Both didn't come out looking flawless.

So she wasn't a 19 year old girl, paired up with a nearly thirty year old and let's make a life out of it? The disparity in life experience is huge and she was set up to lose from the very beginning. If that isn't cruel, what is? They're both products of the environment they were raised in and I feel sympathy for Charles, but he did what he did and so did she. Both didn't come out looking flawless.

Charles was actually over 30 and how was she "set up to lose"? She may have had less experience than Charles but she chose to marry him and had she been told that the marriage was off for any reason, I think she'd have been very upset and angry. She wanted to marry him, she wanted to be Princess of Wales. ANd it was inevitable that there would be a gap in age between them.. but if she found it too daunting she did not have to do it.

The lack of support she got within the family, Charles still in love with Camilla? She fancied herself in love with him, he for sure didn't with her. He was(is) the heir to the throne, well over a decade older, more eloquent, experienced and not a boy. I'd say the odds weren't stacked in her favour. This was the 80's, but imagine Harry just a couple years younger than he is now and marrying someone who's barely legal and actually think she is his match in all things that are important in a marriage that is also a job function?

The lack of support she got within the family, Charles still in love with Camilla? She fancied herself in love with him, he for sure didn't with her. He was(is) the heir to the throne, well over a decade older, more eloquent, experienced and not a boy. I'd say the odds weren't stacked in her favour. This was the 80's, but imagine Harry just a couple years younger than he is now and marrying someone who's barely legal and actually think she is his match in all things that are important in a marriage that is also a job function?

yes of course he was older than her.. but she came from a court family.. knew the RF and should have known a bit about royal life and what was expected of her as a PRincess. I dont think she did, but that was hardly Charles' fault...She got support from the RF, she had staff and ladies in waiting advising her.. but she did claim later that she hadn't had any support.

Thank you! I have somewhat softened on my view of Charles since the War of the Wales but I still hold him more responsible as he was in love with someone else and hoped in time to love Diana. We don't know actual conversations and the timeline is a bit winky but the broad strokes are there. I think because this is recent history and there were very strong feelings at the time they are being stirred up. It will be interesting to see what is left out in the next 2 seasons. There were damaging phone calls leaked (especially Charles) on both sides. People don't like to look back at the messy parts of life. I have followed the BRF since Diana (as I am only a few years younger). They may be "The Firm" but they are also people and people are messy.

I didn't see an innocent lamb. I think it showed Diana as selfish, self-centered, immature, impulsive, attention-seeking, unfaithful, and self-destructive. Just because they left out her crueler moments (like apparently telling Charles he would never be king) and kept or invented some for her husband — who looked equally bad and tortured — does not mean Diana came off flawless.

Perhaps raging against Charles' supposed villainy is just more confirmation bias.

To your last comment...nope, lol.

You'll be surprised by how many people that thinks "The Crown" is 100% true and take it as gospel.

Back
Top Bottom