The Nobel Prize 2013 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet
has today decided to award
the 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
jointly to
Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman
for their discoveries concerning nucleoside base modifications that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19
Press release_ The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2023 - NobelPrize.org
The Nobel Foundation has decided that the 2023 Nobel Prize will amount to SEK 11 million per prize category. This represents an increase of SEK 1 million per prize category compared to the previous few years.
At the end of 2022, the market value of the Nobel Foundation's total invested capital was SEK 5,799 million. The Foundation has chosen to increase the prize amount because it is financially viable to do so.
Press room English - NobelPrize.org

Last edited:
The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Physics 2023 to
Pierre Agostini
The Ohio State University, Columbus, USA
Ferenc Krausz
Max Planck Institute of Quantum Optics, Garching and Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany
Anne L’Huillier
Lund University, Sweden
“for experimental methods that generate attosecond pulses of light for the study of electron dynamics in matter”
Press release_ The Nobel Prize in Physics 2023 - NobelPrize.org

jointly to
for their discoveries concerning nucleoside base modifications that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19
The Nobel Foundation has decided that the 2023 Nobel Prize will amount to SEK 11 million per prize category. This represents an increase of SEK 1 million per prize category compared to the previous few years.
At the end of 2022, the market value of the Nobel Foundation's total invested capital was SEK 5,799 million. The Foundation has chosen to increase the prize amount because it is financially viable to do so.

So far, two Hungarian laureates (in Medicine and Physics) in the same year. For a small country like Hungary, that must be a source of great pride.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2023 to
Moungi G. Bawendi
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, MA, USA
Louis E. Brus
Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Alexei I. Ekimov
Nanocrystals Technology Inc., New York, NY, USA
“for the discovery and synthesis of quantum dots”
Press release_ The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2023 - NobelPrize.org

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2023 to
Moungi G. Bawendi
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, MA, USA
Louis E. Brus
Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Alexei I. Ekimov
Nanocrystals Technology Inc., New York, NY, USA
“for the discovery and synthesis of quantum dots”
Press release_ The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2023 - NobelPrize.org

So there you go: although he is currently living in the US,. Alexei Ekimov is a Russian scientist who was honored for work he did when he lived and worked in the former Soviet Union.

Last edited:
So there you go: although he is currently living in the US,. Alexei Ekimov is a Russian scientist who was honored for work he did when he lived and worked in the former Soviet Union.

No, it's not really the same thing at all. Not unless Ekimov has been shown to be in favor of Putin. But I don't want to drag this thread off-topic.

Everyone and everything that is Russian isn’t neccessarily pro-Putin and pro-War…

Alexei Ekimov have as far as i know never worked for any government and he moved to USA while Boris Jeltsin was still president.

Russian by birth, American by choice.

jointly to

As expected, many anti-vax comments.

That is wonderful news for him, he writes in our second written language "Nynorsk" and it seems most of the people and papers who send their congratulations try to do it in nynorsk. Jon Fosse lives in the States honorary artist home "Grotten" located in the Palace park
https://snl.no/Grotten

A photo of him with Crown Prince Haakon
https://www.vg.no/rampelys/bok/i/5Gj5Kb/jon-fosse-vinner-nobelprisen-i-litteratur

Had Mette-Marit been healthy it would have been very suitable that she went to the Nobel award in Stockholm when Norway gets its first nobel prize in litterature since Sigrid Undseth in 1928. But the NRF did not send anyone for the Moser couple who got the medicine prize in 2014.

I've read on Twitter (X) that Jon Fosse lives currently in Hainburg/Donau, Austria

I've read on Twitter (X) that Jon Fosse lives currently in Hainburg/Donau, Austria

From Jon Fosse's interview, November 2022:
"But I’m a restless person, so I keep travelling. We have a place in Austria and one in Oslo, and two places here in the western part of Norway. So, I keep travelling between these private places where I have everything I need."
Jon Fosse’s Search for Peace _ The New Yorker

As the Norwegian Royal Family has the Nobel Peace Prize Ceremony and Dinner in Oslo to attend on December 10:th, it is not expected that they would send anyone to Stockholm that day.

But maybe someone will attend The King’s Dinner for the Noble Laureates, at the Royal Palace in Stockholm on December 11:th… It has happened before that foreign royals have been present there while not attending the day before

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2023 to
Claudia Goldin
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
“for having advanced our understanding of women’s labour market outcomes”
The Prize in Economic Sciences 2023 - Press release

Tomorrow the tickets for Nobel Prize Concert will go on sale, for the Concert on 8 December.

This year Finnish conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen will lead the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra. Soloist is the acclaimed German violinist Julia Fischer.

Works by Boccherini, Brahms, and Ravel are on the program together with work by the exciting young composer Gabriella Smith.

https://www.nobelprize.org/press-english/

The Royal Court updated its calendar
The King, the Queen, the Crown Princess, Prince Daniel, Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia are listed to attend

December 4
Presentation by the Nobel Foundation of this year's Nobel laureates

December 10
The 2023 Nobel Prize Ceremony
The Nobel Banquet

December 11
The King's dinner for the Nobel laureates
Officiella program _ Kungahuset

Last edited:
Last edited:
Press programme for Nobel Week 2023, more information and activities will be added.
Programme for Nobel Week 2023 - NobelPrize.org

Articles about Madeleine and Chris attending a dinner the Embassy of Sweden hosted for USA-based Nobel Laureates on November 13.
The Nobel Laureates attended also a symposium the Embassy organized yesterday with the The National Academy of Sciences.
Madeleines festkväll med Chris – i glammiga guldblåsan! _*Svensk Dam
Prinsessan Madeleines lyxiga partykväll med Chris - Allt om kungligt

Last edited:
Since the 1960s, during the Nobel Week, the Nobel Prize laureates have gathered for a round-table discussion for television, Nobel Minds. Nobel Minds is a production of Swedish Television and BBC World News.
Nobel Minds 2023
The 2023 programme will be recorded in the Bernadotte Library at the Royal Palace on 9 December in front of an invited audience. The discussion will be hosted by Zeinab Badawi of the BBC.
Nobel Minds - NobelPrize.org

SVT shows the Nobel Minds with a name "Snillen spekulerar" on December 18.
SVT tells:
Several of this year's Nobel laureates meet in the Bernadotte Library at the Royal Palace for the annual round table discussion in the presence of HRH Crown Princess Victoria. This year, the laureates talk about the conditions of research in a polarized world, about equal working life and the importance of daring to think big.
Kunskap, prisutdelning och fest – Nobel 2023 i SVT - SVT Om oss

Last year Victoria and Daniel attended the program recording.

Swedish Gala Magazine awaits for the Nobels with publishing some photos from 2022.
Ladda upp inför Nobel - förra årets fantastiska bilder! - GALA magasin

Last edited:
Today king Carl Gustaf, queen Silvia, Daniel, Carl Philip and Sofia received a presentation of the 2023 Nobel laureates by Astrid Söderbergh Widding from the Nobel Foundation, Hans Ellegren from the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, Thomas Perlmann from the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet and Mats Malm from the Swedish Academy.
Presentation av årets Nobelpristagare _ Kungahuset

Last edited:
The Nobel Prize award ceremony
The Nobel Day, 10 December, begins with the traditional Nobel Prize award ceremony at Konserthuset Stockholm (Stockholm Concert Hall), which will start at 16:00 CET. There will be presentation speeches about the year’s prizes before an audience of about 1,560 guests, who will then watch the laureates as they receive their medals and diplomas from the hand of H.M. the King of Sweden. The seats closest to the stage are reserved primarily for the laureates’ families, representatives of the prizeawarding institutions, members of the Swedish government and Riksdag (Parliament) and the diplomatic corps.
Seated on the stage will be about 90 people. In addition to the 2023 laureates, there will be laureates from earlier years. Also seated onstage will among others be members of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, the Nobel Assembly of Karolinska Institutet, the Swedish Academy and the Board of Directors of the Nobel Foundation. Seated in front of them on the stage will be this year’s laureates and members of Sweden’s Royal Family: H.M. King Carl XVI Gustaf, H.M. Queen Silvia, H.R.H. Crown Princess Victoria och H.R.H. Prince Daniel.
In the frst row closest to the stage will be H.R.H. Prince Carl Philip and H.R.H. Princess Sofia.

The Nobel Prize banquet
After the ceremony at Konserthuset Stockholm, it will be time for the evening’s Nobel Prize banquet at Stockholm City Hall. The banquet programme will follow tradition and begin with the entry procession of the Royal Family and other guests of honour down the grand stairway and into the Blue Hall at 19:00 CET. Prior to this, the guests of honour will have been presented to the Royal Family in the Prince’s Gallery of the City Hall. Behind the Master of Ceremonies will be two attendants followed by H.M. the King with Professor Astrid Söderbergh Widding, Chair of the Board of the Nobel Foundation and the host of the evening’s banquet, as well as H.M. the Queen with Vidar Helgesen, Executive Director of the Nobel Foundation.
The Nobel Prize banquet is served to about 1,250 guests.
More information, also the preliminary time schedules at the Award ceremony and Banquet:
nobel-week-2023-information-for-media.pdf

Princess Christina and Tord Magnuson attend the Nobel Prize Concert
https://i.postimg.cc/52hXqDB0/B1.jpg
Jon Fosse says no to everything he is not forced to participate in when he goes to Stockholm to accept the Nobel Prize and the prize money of SEK 11 million.
- The press conference and all interviews are canceled according to Fosse's own wishes, informs Louise Hedberg of the Swedish Academy.
Jon Fosse will personally accept the award on 10 December and attend the subsequent banquet, but confirms that he has chosen to decline the program items that the winners do not need to take part in.
- There are various program posts that you can take part in, or not take part in, and the ones I don't need to take part in, I have chosen not to take part in all together. I now have a program that is mostly made for what I have the time and energy to participate in, he writes in an e-mail to VG.
When asked what he himself is most looking forward to these days in Stockholm, Fosse answers directly:
- To finish with them. Larger social gatherings give me no joy, on the contrary.
Nobelprisvinnar Jon Fosse seier nei til store deler av Nobel-programmet_ – Gir meg inga glede. - VG

Last edited:
Victoria attended today at the Bernadotte Library the recording of Nobel Minds, a round-table discussion with some of the Nobel Prize Laureates. Nobel Minds is a production of Swedish Television SVT and BBC World News. SVT shows the Nobel Minds with a name "Snillen spekulerar" on December 18.
"Sweden’s Crown Princess Viktoria excellent delivery while recording @bbcnews #nobelminds at Bernadottebibliotektet. Proud to see such talent!"
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0oL3m5s0Id/?img_index=1

The Nobel Laureates at the Bernadotte Library
https://www.nobelprize.org/images/151216-landscape-medium-gallery-2x.jpg

The Table of Honour at the Nobel Prize Banquet
https://www.nobelprize.org/uploads/2023/12/table-of-honour-2023.pdf

While we are waiting for this year's ceremony, SPA published photos from recent years.
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0qgQ6bIzHH/?img_index=1

Last edited:
Links to watch the 2023 Nobel Prize award ceremony

At SVT Play
Nobel_ Prisutdelningen _ SVT Play

At Nobel Prize's Youtube channel

Photos of the guests arriving
Bildextra_ Här är alla klänningar på Nobelfesten 2023

Great to see Victoria recycling that magnificent gown from the Dutch state visit 2022. And queen Silvia recycling her gown from Queen Margrethe's Golden Jubilee.

SWE: Nobel Prize Award Ceremony 2023 Getty Images
TT gallery
SPA photos
Legion-Media gallery

Victorias spektakulära klänning – bilderna från Nobel _*Svensk Dam
Nobel 2023_ Det bär kungligheterna vid årets fest
Nobel 2023_ Finaste klänningarna från kvällen
Nobel 2023_ Så klär sig gästerna på stora festen! _*Svensk Dam
Första bilderna på årets Nobelklänningar - GALA magasin
Allt om kvällens Nobelfest - GALA magasin
Victorias vackra succélook på Nobelfesten - Allt om kungligt
Mauve majesty! Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden puts on a dazzling display in a purple gown and amethyst jewels at the Nobel Prize Awards _ Daily Mail Online

Wonderful music by Edvard Grieg!

Every year the same pieces of music recur: first the Swedish royal anthem Kungssången/The King's Song and then Mozart’s March in D major, KV 249 when the Laureates enter. The ceremony closes with the national anthem Du gamla, du fria and then The Queen of Sheba’s Festivity March by Hugo Alfvén. I just love The Queen of Sheba's Festivity March!

The Banquet, live broadcast:
https://www.svtplay.se/video/KR5kZyE/nobel-banketten/avsnitt-1?id=KR5kZyE

Lubna Jaffery, the Norwegian Minister for Culture and Equality, attends the Banquet.

SWE: Nobel Prize Banquet 2023 In Stockholm Getty Images

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to Princess Christina? It seems that only Tord attended

Did Countess Madeleine Kogevinas attended?

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to Princess Christina? It seems that only Tord attended

What do you mean, princess Christina was at the Prize ceremony
https://i.postimg.cc/hjrmn4my/C1.jpg
and arrived to the banquet with Jon Fosse, the Laureate for Literature:
https://media.gettyimages.com/id/18...=gbNRYZYIcnfV26uzDrz1DOM9zTCLnP-FoO8lY8EyZwE=

Countess Bettina Bernadotte
https://media.gettyimages.com/id/18...=35QNjLFsv5ulh0zpOD1VFyftgq8J8TqLbOy_EibmdNo=

The Menu of the Banquet
Nobel Banquet Menu 2023 - NobelPrize.org

The King and Queen arriving to the Banquet

Victoria and Daniel arriving

Carl Philip and Sofia arriving

Princess Christina and Tord Magnuson arriving

Nobel 2023_ Kronprinsessan Victorias klänning _ ELLE

Profimedia gallery

The flower arrangements and decorations at the award ceremony and at the banquet are so beautiful!

Court website and Instagram
Årets Nobelpriser utdelade av H.M.*Konungen _ Kungahuset
https://www.instagram.com/p/C0sAGiMKR4z/?img_index=1

Did Countess Madeleine Kogevinas attended?

No.

The royal family, especially the King and Queen, had a tough evening. They had just heard that their good friend Melker Schörling had passed away.

Some photos from the ceremony
Legion-Media

More photos, also some of the royals leaving the banquet.
Legion-Media

Sweden kind of got an own Laureate, since Anne L’Huillier works at the Lund University, is married to Swedish Claes-Göran Wahlström, Professor of Atomic Physics at the Lund University and she speaks Swedish.

Kungligheternas klänningar & diadem på Nobelfesten - GALA magasin
Kungligheter & Nobelpristagare - se bilder från honnörsbordet - GALA magasin
GALAs favoritbilder från Nobelfesten - GALA magasin
Se bilder från Nobelfesten 2023 - DN.se
Crown Princess Victoria leads Swedish royals in glittering tiaras for Nobel Prize ceremony – best photos _ HELLO!
Det bar kronprinsessan Victoria Nobel 2023

Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson writes:
The King eats and we watch - as we always did
The Nobel banquet is the party of parties, the triumphal procession of the Nobel Laureates, and Sweden's biggest PR window to the world. The eyes of the whole world are turned towards Stockholm City Hall, we celebrate science, research, human progress.
But the Nobel party is also an image of a historical "pleasure" - to watch the royal family and prominent guests have dinner. Karl XIV Johan arranged spectacular dinners at Rosendal Palace, and hundreds of people stood and watched them eat. Now some Nobel fans are dressed up and sipping champagne in front of the TV.
It's the royal family that pulls. The Laureates in all glory, they are still what this is about and no one takes that honor away from them.
But most of the questions to Jenny are about the royals. Tiaras and dresses. Royal etiquette and sash, what is the King talking about at the table? Why doesn't Sofia eat meat? How valuable is Victoria's tiara? What does the Queen have in her bag?
If the royal family, the guests of honor, would refuse, then a large part of the Nobel luster would fall. And both the Nobel Foundation and the royal family know this.
Jenny Alexandersson om Nobelfesten 2023 Aftonbladet

Last edited:
I watched the entire concert and the ceremony for the first time. So beautiful and regal. :flowers::swedenflag:

Back
Top Bottom